Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Noam Chomsky posted:

Why would anyone want Warren to be VP, a useless ceremonial position?

Low information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I feel like the right vp pick gets whatever power the president wants them too, which can be quite a lot in theory. But that is probably idealistic.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/jtsantucci/status/743566411902025736

I'm almost positive I called this back in March.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

I feel like the right vp pick gets whatever power the president wants them too, which can be quite a lot in theory. But that is probably idealistic.

Clinton would never pick anyone that would overshadow her in the way Warren would.

Honestly Warren needs to stay in the senate. She's the new liberal lion of the senate and is just downright amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What a bunch of asshats.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shirec posted:

I know Slate is not a shining star all the time, but they had an interesting article up, interviewing a cast member from the Apprentice. I was reminded of what Prester Jane said earlier as well, hope this wasn't posted earlier.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/06/apprentice_crew_members_on_their_old_boss_donald_trump.html

Oh my god.

quote:

He Likes to Keep "a Fat Guy” Around

“There was a fat contestant who was a buffoon and a fuckup,” recalls the midlevel producer. “And he would gently caress up week after week, and the producers would figure that he’d screwed up so badly that Trump would have to fire him. But Trump kept deciding to fire someone else. The producers had to scramble because of course Trump can never be seen to make a bad call on the show, so we had to re-engineer the footage to make a different contestant look bad. Later, I heard a producer talk to him, and Trump said, ‘Everybody loves a fat guy. People will watch if you have a funny fat guy around. Trust me, it’s good for ratings.’ I look at Chris Christie now and I swear that’s what’s happening.”

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This is terrifying. I mean, you were right and the call is obvious but holy poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hopefully they shoot each other.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yea Cheney had so little power in the Bush administration

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hopefully they shoot each other.

Just toss some firecrackers into the mob and people will start shooting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

And what, pray tell, do these upstanding American men call themselves? The Protection Squadron?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder how long they had to walk around to find the one armed person who wasn't morbidly obese

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I was a little amazed at the invective directed at West (e.g. Keeping it 1600 basically described him like a terrorist).

He has an unfortunate habit when he disagrees with other Black public figures... reposting from elsewhere:

Cornell West to Chris Hedges posted:

I think my dear brother Barack Obama has a certain fear of free black men. It’s understandable. As a young brother who grows up in a white context, brilliant African father, he’s always had to fear being a white man with black skin. All he has known culturally is white. He is just as human as I am, but that is his cultural formation. When he meets an independent black brother, it is frightening. And that’s true for a white brother.

Cornell West on Al Sharpton posted:

The bonafide house negro of the Barack Obama plantation, our dear brother Al Sharpton.

Cornell West on Dyson and Perry (*BEFORE* Dyson's article) posted:

I love Brother Mike Dyson, but we’re living in a society where everybody is up for sale. Everything is up for sale. And he and Brother Sharpton and Sister Melissa and others, they have sold their souls for a mess of Obama pottage.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here: I'd love a VP candidate who can run for president in 2024. Which would knock out Brown, Kaine, Becerra and Warren.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DONT★COMPLY

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

Likely because many see her as a perfect compliment to Clinton, someone who would double-down on the women in power angle while wedding Warren's progressive bonafides to Hillary's establishment/"pragmatic" image and almost completely cleansing the liberal base of any doubts about the ticket. We can also dream of Warren using the post as a bully pulpit and leveraging the position for maximum national influence above and beyond the norm, checking off the "executive experience" and working with Hillary to perfectly position herself for the Presidency in 2024.

It's still stupid to consider throwing away a Senate seat, and Warren can do just as much if not more from the Senate, but the optics would be glorious. Hence why it's tempting.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And what, pray tell, do these upstanding American men call themselves? The Protection Squadron?

Too early, just Storm Department

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So why can't the police throw those people out for something?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
West's "brother" thing is so patronizing sounding, it's like when Paula Deen says bless your heart

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Call a 4th on Curry. DO IT

edit: gently caress I did it again

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Call a 4th on Curry. DO IT

edit: gently caress I did it again

I hope Dempsey gets a 2nd goal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why can't the police throw those people out for something?
Well, they're white, so they have a built in resistance to the police bothering them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea Cheney had so little power in the Bush administration

Hillary Clinton is not going to have a VP with the power of Cheney. That's ridiculous. Warren serves the cause much more by staying in the Senate and pushing for legislation. Taking her from there to be an under study with no more power and responsibility than Hillary allows is a waste.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, Cheney was a pretty big outlier when it comes to the level of influence a VP has.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cheney was literally the acting President for a little bit when Bush got that surgery.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Gyges posted:

Hillary Clinton is not going to have a VP with the power of Cheney. That's ridiculous. Warren serves the cause much more by staying in the Senate and pushing for legislation. Taking her from there to be an under study with no more power and responsibility than Hillary allows is a waste.

She won't. But her and Hillary can make arrangements that she has more power than is typical. I think if Warren agreed it would be on those terms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cheney was literally the acting President for a little bit when Bush got that surgery.

You mean nearly the entire time. Because Bush was apparently a pushover in the office.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but how bad was that LeBron foul?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah but how bad was that LeBron foul?

The fix is in.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The best part about those guys is that the see-through shields are $100 on Amazon and decidedly not bulletproof.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The best part about those guys is that the see-through shields are $100 on Amazon and decidedly not bulletproof.

Duh they're to push back the Rock and egg throwing hoard so that they can spot the real shooter and blam um! Obviously only good guys do the shooting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Noam Chomsky posted:

Rhetoric drives policy, friend.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1337JiveTurkey posted:

They are good guys with guns though so they will be able to stop bad guys from even firing.

E:fb

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

VP still gets a bonafide vote in the Senate.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phone posted:

Lmao "hey guys I just made this"

Im the dissatisfied voter who shows up on election day in one of 17 states that don't have the Libertarian Party on the ballot who then has a freakout in the voting booth. There are even states that by law won't have ballot access for any third party and not allow a write in candidate. OK comes to mind.

They didn't even do their homework. It's like they just decided to throw this image out there for the entire world to see without the barest amount of fact checking. Nakedly embarrassing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bip Roberts posted:

Sorta.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Only when it's tied.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Duh they're to push back the Rock and egg throwing hoard so that they can spot the real shooter and blam um! Obviously only good guys do the shooting.

Or they're planning on shooting the place up and went to this school: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ala-middle-school-tells-kids-throw-cans-shooters-article-1.2075972

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Noam Chomsky posted:

They want the dems to have a lower chance at taking the senate and/or want Warren's career to be shorter than it would be otherwise. Her name's on the list because it's a bigass list. There's nothing special Warren offers that others (like Perez) don't also offer while offering more.

There is not a single good reason to pick Warren over other leftwing options unless you really want two have the VP also be an older white woman.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Nevvy Z posted:

This really only started with Clinton/Gore, for most American Presidents their VP was a stranger, some local politician from a distinctly different corner of the country who got foisted on you at your convention a couple of months before you were elected and that set the tone for the office even after it became the custom to let the President pick his own running mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Only when it's tied.

So only when it matters?

• Locked thread