Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Thinking of starting another Dwarf campaign with Ungrim and downloading that Slayer buff on the workshop. Anyone running that? I want so much for Slayers to be good.

Which one? Theres like four or five of them! I even made my own that just raises the armour slightly :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

Which one? Theres like four or five of them! I even made my own that just raises the armour slightly :ohdear:

This one by GPM. I just sought out the highest rated one, but that doesn't mean it's the best. Gives them armor of 40, a boost to their charge bonus, and I think an upkeep reduction. I wouldn't mind looking at yours either, if you have it up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It's not as good as late-in-life Rome 2 but it's very good. A ton of potential. I recommend especially if you play TW casually.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You guys make Greenskins sound so fun, but the one time I tried I just got absolutely poo poo on. Hell, even the loving AI makes Greenskins look fun when I got Grimgor'd on like turn 8.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You guys make Greenskins sound so fun, but the one time I tried I just got absolutely poo poo on. Hell, even the loving AI makes Greenskins look fun when I got Grimgor'd on like turn 8.

They are fun but the beginning can be tricky.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dandywalken posted:

Hey Mazz, any idea how hard it would be to add more wargear etc to the lootable templates? I imagine there's a huge amount of potential expansion there.

They are in the ancillaries table. Probably not that hard, although I don't know the spawn mechanics yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Fight weaklings til you get a WAAAGH! and then steamroll every immediate threat - Dwarfs first among them.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

This one by GPM. I just sought out the highest rated one, but that doesn't mean it's the best. Gives them armor of 40, a boost to their charge bonus, and I think an upkeep reduction. I wouldn't mind looking at yours either, if you have it up.

Yeah, mine is just 40 armour, nothing else and its here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693859371, the one you mentioned felt a bit weird since it puts the upkeep at 50, or 25 when you use Ungrim, resulting in you being able to field a full stack of Slayers and it basically costing you at most 500 gold upkeep so for me personally it feels a bit unbalanced.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mazz posted:

They are in the ancillaries table. Probably not that hard, although I don't know the spawn mechanics yet.

This is where I'm at. I think I've sort of figured it out? I was messing around with new armors, like ones that have auras of poison or a master of the dead in reverse, and added them in just fine to test as quest rewards but could never get them to drop as actual drops. The columns I thought were determining the drop rates were copied from common drop items so I should've been swimming in them. Then I remembered that I failed to associate them with rebels and minor factions in the "can drop for" table--had only given them to greenskins, VC and chaos which either don't fight each other or do way later than I cared to test drop rates--since my suspicion is that who you fight might matter for what drops you can get. Haven't spent much time testing yet to be sure but I highly suspect that this is the case.

My steps for adding items (ancillaries) was:
1) ancillary_info_tables - add an entry
2) ancillaries_tables - add details to your entry by c/ping something similar. Drop rate should be column 22 with lower numbers being higher rates I think, though just c/ping from a similar item should be fine.
3) ancillary_included_subcultures_tables - add your entry here probably making sure to add it to as many rebel/minor factions associated with the main factions you're targeting as you can otherwise it probably won't drop
4) effects_tables - if you want your item to have a special ability attached then add an effect_enable entry here
5) ancillary_to_effects_tables - specify armor stats and your effect_enable here
6) unit_abilities_tables - add an entry for the ability you will effect_enable here
7) unit_special_abilities_tables - detail the ability here
8) effect_bonus_value_unit_ability_junctions_tables - link the effect_enable to the ability
9) special_ability_phases_tables - add a phase (or phases) to your ability
10) special_ability_phase_stat_effects_junctions_tables - detail the phase
11) special_ability_to_special_ability_phases_junctions_tables - link the phases to your ability
12) Import from the *your language here* pack and, uh, too lazy to type out all of the things you need right now but it's a lot--just check the files related to any of the tables I mentioned above.

If you want to easy-test by adding the item as a quest reward that's the cdir_events_mission_payloads_tables. It might also help to increase the numbers in column 22 for all other items that are low. If your item shows up but its display/box looks funny then step 12 is the issue and you probably forgot an entry somewhere.

Also, if you don't want to add a special ability then it would just be steps 1-3 and then 5 and 12. You can treat the other steps as "how to add a special ability" I guess since if you wanted to add one to a lord's skill screen it'd be the same steps just with "and then add it to the skill node tables"

Decus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 17, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Man, that was a heck of a fight. Two mediocre VC stacks and a lv2 town garrison against Kholek's full stack, Archaon's full stack, and some random schlub's mostly-full stack (that happened to spawn behind my deployment area :haw: ).

Fluffy was pretty much the only model left standing in Mannfred's stack, and Mannfred got wounded at the very end of the main fight, but the Chaos offensive has been pretty well broken.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You have to snipe the Dwarfs and Barak Varr as quickly as feasible. A good chunk of the Greenskin early game is spent conquering the Orcs to your south and not securing your north as fast as possible is asking for Thorgrim to stomp all over you. Karaz-a-Karak without a defending army can be taken with a full stack and a Waaagh. From there, the Bloody Spears and Border Princes won't bother you and you're free to conquer the south before you come screaming north with 2-3 armies and attendant Waaaghs.

Some people recommend getting Mount Gunbad for the economic building but I'm not so sure. It's miles away from everything else and committing heavily to the north means having to tangle with the VCs early and leaving the south open to the Top Knotz or Red Fangs.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

1stGear posted:

Some people recommend getting Mount Gunbad for the economic building but I'm not so sure. It's miles away from everything else and committing heavily to the north means having to tangle with the VCs early and leaving the south open to the Top Knotz or Red Fangs.

From what limited greenskins I've tried I'm not so sure on them caring about its money given all of those negatives, unless it's been razed and you can spare the upkeep cost of a weak stack re-colonizing. Greenskin stacks seem really cheap, you're constantly raiding and sacking and their buildings are both strong and simple economically. Not sure that they'd really care about any money province beyond maybe keeping it around to sack for 40-50k every now and again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have never known the vampires to attack Mt. Gunbad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On another MP note, lords are just downright overpowered, especially vampire counts.

Try a custom battle of mannfred, some vampires and a lot of wights with zombies to screen and tire out the enemy, I have not found a army comp that can handle it since they all send a dozen units flying with every swing and regenerate with magic and their abilities mean they never, ever get tired no matter how long the battle, meanwhile the enemys top tier stuff is exhausted wiping out a zombie or two.

Best chance to beat it would be lots and lots of witch hunters, demigryphs and greatswords.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have to recommend a mod in here, Da East iz Green:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695539794&searchtext=Da+East+

Gives some very minor yet important buffs (some extra weapon attack and defense) to all basic orc units, making Orc Boyz equal to other races tier 1 units and therefore not almost useless like they are in vanilla.
Also makes Boar units slightly stronger, some more armour and a very small increase in speed.
Perhaps most important of all is Azhag getting some small buffs, making him the equal of a normal orc warlord, damage increased to 450, he gets a light shield buff.

Playing Orcs changed from being a frustrating slog for the first 30-40 turns or so to a more fun experience for me with this, atleast when picking Azhag as your starting lord.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I don't feel like the orcs need to be buffed. It takes ages for Azhag to get his crown but that also means by the time you get it you can have enough points stashed away to instantly skill into Fate of Bunja and with that and spirit leech he becomes amazing like every other death wizard.

Also boyz are cheap and do heaps of damage and you get free armies of them all day if you're fighting. Besides once you get two proper stacks and they each get Waaghing it's p. much a steamroll to victory.

I think having the dwarfs as a tough customer up North is a very necessary counterweight to the orcs who can mass numbers like crazy, have multiple secure flanks in the most remote corner of the map, and have the least threat from the chaos invasion.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol this is going to upset so many people

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't get it, there's been some people unironically asking for chaos dwarves.

Or is that from some joke thing or are they just haphazardly slapping them in dwarves or what.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
they are part of the chaos team which isn't known for being a range heavy team

it is still a mod but it isn't like people haven't gotten upset about mods they haven't played or won't play

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Those chaos dwarves actually look pretty good for this early in the modding life of a TW game.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

The game is better than the other TWs even with those flaws.

I *willingly* did two campaigns back to back and have a third planned. I haven't done that with any other game since Shogun 2 and only did a 2nd campaign there because it was co-op.

This exactly. Done Empire and Dwarfs, now on to Vampire Counts. This is shaping up to be 5 games in one. CA nailed it so well it feels like they've been waiting for years to do this.

I want to specifically point to Andy Hall as the lead writer, referred to in a facebook video from the devs as their 'lore master'. I don't know anything else about him but the writing in this game is terrific, straight out of an earlier codex or WD magazine. Takes me back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

It's not as good as late-in-life Rome 2 but it's very good. A ton of potential. I recommend especially if you play TW casually.

What the frigging heck happened to Rome 2 late in its life that would make you say such a thing?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Those chaos dwarves actually look pretty good for this early in the modding life of a TW game.

Yeah, shame we cant give em some nice flared blunderbuss though. They do look neat as is however.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Klaus88 posted:

The model already existed and has been posted a bunch of times. They man the hellcannon. Somebody just put rifles in their hands.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
God is it ridiculously frustrating that the auto-resolve formula has a MASSIVE hate boner for single-model type monsters. Every time I hit auto-resolve it's like 90% hp off a varghulf/terrorgheist/giant/arachnarok guaranteed

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Have they said anything about patch plans for the near future? Just curious, not demanding content or anything.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Tried playing MP for the first time, I think I got matched with a top player. I took Dwarves, he Orcs, I lost pretty badly. My Quarrellers and Thunderers didn't do jack poo poo and got rear charged by boars. I should have taken chaff dwarves to cover my rear, I am playing Dwarves on SP now and they are so drat slow. Maybe I should play some custom battles before MP.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I'm onto my third campaign, trying Very Hard with Orcs.

Why are Orc line infantry such trasshhh.. Is there no way to give them a little more hitpoints, or armour since that is the only value that mitigates damage? Orcs don't feel especially 'tough', they only have a weapon damage/charge bonus compared to dwarves/empire and that barely compensates for the mismatched leadership

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Olive Branch posted:

Tried playing MP for the first time, I think I got matched with a top player. I took Dwarves, he Orcs, I lost pretty badly. My Quarrellers and Thunderers didn't do jack poo poo and got rear charged by boars. I should have taken chaff dwarves to cover my rear, I am playing Dwarves on SP now and they are so drat slow. Maybe I should play some custom battles before MP.

Can always post your replay of you want some good feedback. Ranged units are much trickier to use vs another human compared to the AI (who will rarely disengage other units to chase off ranged).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Deified Data posted:

I have never known the vampires to attack Mt. Gunbad.

I meant that invading Gunbad involves either a) only taking it and leaving it as a tempting morsel for Zhufbar/Kadrin to attack you or b) fully committing into the north which will mean fighting the VCs and the dwarven factions while the Top Knotz blob up in the south.

Maybe a better TW player could hold Gunbad and push south but it's beyond me. :shobon:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Operant posted:

God is it ridiculously frustrating that the auto-resolve formula has a MASSIVE hate boner for single-model type monsters. Every time I hit auto-resolve it's like 90% hp off a varghulf/terrorgheist/giant/arachnarok guaranteed

Not just monsters! I attacked a waagh army with gelt, a witch hunter and a warrior priest in a stack. Auto-resolved it because lol no way is my computer handling a full orc stack, my full stack, the full garrison stack and some other army at more than slideshow speed. Gelt and the priest almost died, hunter at <1/2 health.

What the gently caress are you doing with my mage, game? He sits back and casts magic, that's all he does. If he is in combat I have probably lost the battle. It happens with every other loving mage too. At least I can understand the priests and the actual melee monsters, but the mages? Why?

We'll protect the valuable swordsmen and zombies with the expendable mages and varghulfs :downs:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Third World Reggin posted:

lol this is going to upset so many people

You kidding? That looks awesome. What's the mod, I'd like to try it for my inevitable Chaos run.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Miruvor posted:

I'm onto my third campaign, trying Very Hard with Orcs.

Why are Orc line infantry such trasshhh.. Is there no way to give them a little more hitpoints, or armour since that is the only value that mitigates damage? Orcs don't feel especially 'tough', they only have a weapon damage/charge bonus compared to dwarves/empire and that barely compensates for the mismatched leadership

They're cheap, so you outnumber the enemy, and you usually have a waaagh following your army around.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
For Very Hard campaigns as greenskins or empire I recommend taking the +leadership from general aura ASAP in order to negate the penalty from difficulty. +5 is a lot more than you'd think and even moreso when the game is default hitting you with -5. Shaken begins at 32 leadership and on very hard you're more likely to eat penalties like "losing combat" or even "losing combat significantly" and thus all of the casualty related penalties as well. The unit you have eating those penalties will hold out that much longer while your other guys flank if you have the +5.

For reference, in the same table the penalty is listed at -5 the penalty for being flanked is listed at -6. Without taking the +5 leadership to negate the penalty you can basically pretend that all of your units are being flanked at all times and occasionally super-flanked when the AI actually flanks them. Similarly, don't underestimate the +5 leadership to certain unit techs. Seemingly small increases or decreases in numbers are actually a big deal here.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Post up replays or something, we can all commentate on things you can change,

Sadly, a lot of this is in knowing what compositions to take and I can help a bit around that.

Against dwarves, 100% of orks need to take something that has AP damage. That's their heavy cavalry and their black orcs with black orcs being the stronger of the two, so you can expect to have to beat up on heavy armour. If he doesn't take them, he can't easily crack your armoured line. Trolls are too easy to rout with just crossbows, their cavalry doesn't have the damage to attack head on and the arachnarok while good against dwarves won't win them games on their own. So knowing that, if at least some of your army is designed to counter armour, I recommend the longbeards with great weapons as a super economical counter, you can win in a general infantry push.

Most will try to shut down your missiles so some warriors are a good addition to block against rear attacks and can fill in at the front if need be.

Other than that your personal mix is gonna be what you like, but you'll typically want some ranged units as dwarves, unlike many factions dwarves can win games with a lot of funds in missile weapons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Pro tip for Orks. Take over the Top Knots province, or at least one of the two savage orc towns. It's a max t3 building that gives you Big'Uns, Arrers, and Both Boar cavalry. Savage orcs are really good against armor piercing units and low armor units with their no armor and frenzy. Also, this way you don't have to waste a capital building slot to get bigun boar boyz.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Decus posted:

For Very Hard campaigns as greenskins or empire I recommend taking the +leadership from general aura ASAP in order to negate the penalty from difficulty. +5 is a lot more than you'd think and even moreso when the game is default hitting you with -5. Shaken begins at 32 leadership and on very hard you're more likely to eat penalties like "losing combat" or even "losing combat significantly" and thus all of the casualty related penalties as well. The unit you have eating those penalties will hold out that much longer while your other guys flank if you have the +5.

For reference, in the same table the penalty is listed at -5 the penalty for being flanked is listed at -6. Without taking the +5 leadership to negate the penalty you can basically pretend that all of your units are being flanked at all times and occasionally super-flanked when the AI actually flanks them. Similarly, don't underestimate the +5 leadership to certain unit techs. Seemingly small increases or decreases in numbers are actually a big deal here.

Are people playing as orcs and not immediately racing to the bigger leadership aura skills? Your warboss having an aura the size of your army is a must have, especially if you get lucky and pick up a "+15% aura size when attacking" skill. Like, just drop 3 in choppas for that extra damage on all your orc units, 1 on I dunno, tunnel boss or something, underground battles are something you should be doing a lot of anyway, and then take that clicky and drop 3 on bellower for that +40% aura size. More units with his leadership boost = less units running away with poo poo leadership.

I just checked and Grimgor managed to pick up two +30% aura size skills, one for attacking and one for besieging, as well as having all three in bellower. His aura on the siege of Akendorf is covering the entire walls :v:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Operant posted:

Someone complains about this on every other page. You guys really need to download the Better Autoresolve mod.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Korgan posted:

I just checked and Grimgor managed to pick up two +30% aura size skills, one for attacking and one for besieging, as well as having all three in bellower. His aura on the siege of Akendorf is covering the entire walls :v:

Well yeah, the boys don't dare leg it while Grimgor's fightin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So how is a chaos player meant to be taking advantage of chaos corruption?

• Locked thread