Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Those cool extras cannot be weapons, gear, or maps, so what's the point? Just do cross-platform on the same game or something.

They absolutely could be weapons or gear. I have not yet played splatoon so I don't know too many details, but I have played Overwatch, so basically what I'm suggesting is if Overwatch was a PS4 exclusive but they wanted people to buy a license for the PS4.5 there are certain hero skins/voice lines/sprays exclusive to Overwatch 4.5. (Arguably, they kind of did this with Origins Edition, but that's not what's important here.) They don't rely on the hardware or anything, and can be rendered on the old version (as is the point with the advertising the upgrade part) but cannot be obtained on the old version. There might also, say, be a new game mode that is not all-encompassing, and still secondary to the main cross-platform mode[s] and probably requires the NX's more powerful hardware, and it might even be advertised post-patch to the old version client.

So yes the cool extras could absolutely be weapons, gear, or maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Maybe a new NX exclusive ranked mode could avoid conflicts between the platforms, while providing a new incentive to get an NX and Splatoon.

e: A coop adventure mode? I liked in the single player how you could upgrade the speed and range of your attacks through a kind of leveling system.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 16, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Boten Anna posted:

So yes the cool extras could absolutely be weapons, gear, or maps.

You have to play Splatoon to understand that this absolutely not how the game works and as such would not work at all.

When you load up Splatoon, everybody gets the same two maps for every four hours. If you provide console exclusive maps, you temporarily splinter the player base, which goes against the entire point of Splatoon's global community.

Likewise, providing console-exclusive weapons and gear would also be an issue, because gear is not cosmetic (abilities and buffs are tied to them) and would need to be put in both versions of the game to work properly, at which point U players could order said gear from NX players via a character in-game (or hack them in). Weapons would also be a big deal, for similar reasons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nihon Falcom's action-adventure game Gurumin is being "remastered" for 3DS, it'll be out in NA this summer for $15: http://gurumin.rocks/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIC2LacJ18E

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nihon Falcom's action-adventure game Gurumin is being "remastered" for 3DS, it'll be out in NA this summer for $15: http://gurumin.rocks/

This looks pretty sick. Has anyone itt tried Gurumin?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

JetpackHowwy posted:

It's good! It's like one step towards an action RPG from a Zelda. There's stats, equipment and crafting but they don't matter that much. The basic gameplay's a whole lot of combat, puzzling, and platforming.

Here it is on steam by the way http://store.steampowered.com/app/322290/

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

It's...

Right up my alley. :(

A game by the people who made Ys, how can I not like it?

But I have too much stuff to play. I can't add a Falcom game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's on Steam too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JetpackHowwy posted:

I got it on steam but it wasn't really doing it for me. I might try it again at some point if people say it's really good.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...

Looking for another opinion here.

Given Nintendo recently had the ESRB rerate three Turbografx 16 games (New Adventure Island, Bonk's Adventure, and R-Type), do you think that this is:

A. A sign that the Wii U is about to get a Turbografx 16 VC?
B. A sign that Nintendo is stockpiling games for an eventual Turbografx 16 NX VC?
C. Something else.

My inclination is B.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gurumin is nice even on the PSP where it controls kinda like rear end. I fully expect it to control the same on the 3DS.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Patter Song posted:

So...

Given Nintendo recently had the ESRB rerate three Turbografx 16 games (New Adventure Island, Bonk's Adventure, and R-Type), do you think that this is:

B. A sign that Nintendo is stockpiling games for an eventual Turbografx 16 NX VC?
C. Something else.

My inclination is B.

I hope it's B. A strong VC out of the gate would be a boon for the NX in my mind.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm going to say the surprise option: new 3ds VC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan has TG16 games on the regular 3DS VC (but only 4 or 5 of them because Nintendo just straight turned off the tap for 3DS for no reason).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Japan has TG16 games on the regular 3DS VC (but only 4 or 5 of them because Nintendo just straight turned off the tap for 3DS for no reason).

Isn't it that Konami owns all those games now and they straight don't give a gently caress?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Isn't it that Konami owns all those games now and they straight don't give a gently caress?

Nah, they're still releasing PCE and MSX games for Wii U VC over there, the 3DS just stopped getting VC games in Japan even as they continued to come out overseas. Against all odds, Konami's been pretty good with the VC.

Before the recent Pokemon releases and SNES on New 3DS, Japan has gotten one regular VC release and one Club Nintendo-exclusive VC release in the last two years or so.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Patter Song posted:

So...

C. Something else.

My inclination is B.

They're gonna come to Wii U, the same week as Mother 3.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Patter Song posted:

So...

C. Something else.

My inclination is B.

I'm inclined for both A and B. A makes more sense because there's little in the way of releases confirmed for the rest of the Wii U life, but there's also almost a year between now and the NX (if it comes out on time), they are going to need to keep making money for the shareholders.

I'm more hopeful of B than confident that it is the case.

Edit: Also, Picross is awesome. I was going to start Kirby Robobot last night, but downloaded Zelda Picross and decided to see what the mechanics were like. 3 hours later, I'd gotten through 20 of the puzzles.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 17, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If you're into (Zelda) Picross, the Picross e games are $5.99 each and a pretty good value since they have hundreds of puzzles. The newer ones have stuff like mega picross and micross puzzles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3DS Battle Cats will be out in America on June 27: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-battle-cats-pop-3ds

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Battle Cats was one of the few mobile games I ever gave a poo poo about. It's cute. I do wonder how the pricing will be, though, since the mobile version was pretty heavy on microtransactions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese version is ~800yen with no IAP, I think.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

enojy posted:

Battle Cats was one of the few mobile games I ever gave a poo poo about. It's cute. I do wonder how the pricing will be, though, since the mobile version was pretty heavy on microtransactions.

Battle Cats is the only mobile game I've ever enjoyed enough to actually pay an IAP in. I'll buy it on launch if it hits EU.

It's not coming to EU is it :smith:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

enojy posted:

If you're into (Zelda) Picross, the Picross e games are $5.99 each and a pretty good value since they have hundreds of puzzles. The newer ones have stuff like mega picross and micross puzzles.

Are there ones with multiple micross puzzles? There's only one in the Zelda Picross, and the tiles are the perfect size to play a couple on the bus to work.

10x10s are my favorite.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you're into Picross I heartilly recomend hunting down a copy of 'Picross' for the DS, it's the precursor to the E series and has a lot of puzzles including larger 20x25 ones.

Also get Picross3D while you're at it, it is great.

And once you've exhausted the modern titles you can find Mario's Picross (GB) and Mario's Super Picross (SNES) on the 3DS and WiiU Virtual Console respectively. They're a little less user friendly but still pretty good.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I bit the bullet and got a New 3Ds and Monster Hunter 4. I figured since it is on sale I will finally try the series and my 3ds is falling apart so why not! I bought two copies to play with my gf. Is there a lot of lag when online? I haven't gotten to the part where I can actually play online yet <_<

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Houle posted:

I bit the bullet and got a New 3Ds and Monster Hunter 4. I figured since it is on sale I will finally try the series and my 3ds is falling apart so why not! I bought two copies to play with my gf. Is there a lot of lag when online? I haven't gotten to the part where I can actually play online yet <_<

Online MH4U is actually rock solid, and you'll only notice minor lag if playing with someone internationally. Just avoid international hosts and you should be fine. Every online game has a pre-baked tagline (e.g. "Just having fun!" Or "looking for rare items!") so if it's not in English, skip it. Or don't! I don't think I've ever played an unbearably laggy game of MH4U in hundreds of hours.

Fremry posted:

Are there ones with multiple micross puzzles? There's only one in the Zelda Picross, and the tiles are the perfect size to play a couple on the bus to work.

10x10s are my favorite.

Picross e5 and e6 have 3 micross puzzles each, and tons of 10x10s.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in Canada, and she's away in Mexico studying but if it's only a little laggy that's cool.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I tried out the Rhythm Heaven demo and really liked it. Is there really $30 worth of entertainment or would I be doing the same couple dozen games repeatedly?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I played it for about four hours today (!!) but most of that was multiplayer, neither of us having played any Rhythm Heaven games before. Good times, seems like there's a lot of content there but I haven't gotten that deep in the single player yet.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rhythm Heaven Megamix is digital-only in NA; Europe is getting a full retail release but it won't be available until the end of October.

lmao Nintendo is such a garbage company

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

lmao Nintendo is such a garbage company

For localizing and releasing a game that a lot of people thought wouldn't ever leave Japan?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

I tried out the Rhythm Heaven demo and really liked it. Is there really $30 worth of entertainment or would I be doing the same couple dozen games repeatedly?

There's a ton of variety since it pretty much mixes all games from the previous 3 games in the series plus new stuff.

It's definitely worth $30.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jivjov posted:

For localizing and releasing a game that a lot of people thought wouldn't ever leave Japan?

They would be less garbage if the 3DS was region free like every other handheld ever made

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

jivjov posted:

Four month gap between US and EU for no reason

also for a lot of other things, actually, and I'm a huge fanboy normally.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Sakurazuka posted:

They would be less garbage if the 3DS was region free like every other handheld ever made

just because they don't do things every other manufacturer does doesn't make them bad. :jerkbag:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

baram. posted:

just because they don't do things every other manufacturer does doesn't make them bad. :jerkbag:

Nintendo also used to do it and now don't

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

baram. posted:

Glad someone else gets it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

woosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jivjov posted:

Glad someone else gets it.