Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

It's really kind of dumb that Gotham is so much worse when Metropolis is like, right across the bay. Does Superman not go out of the city limits? It wouldn't be anything for him to take care of both cities.
There's sections of Los Angeles that go from nice to Holy gently caress in the span of a few blocks (especially downtown's arts hipster district that abuts Skid Row) so that's kind of true to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would counter that if I'm a dirty cop and I get heat visioned, any amount of heat vision, I'm going straight.

I'm not loving around with a guy who has laser eyes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

There is literally no excuse that DC has for not doing recap pages, especially when they devote a good fifth to third of each issue to awkward-as-gently caress and overwrought recap-as-internal narration. Zero. None.

Oh wait, Marvel came up with the idea, so never mind I guess.

It's actually kind of baffling they haven't copied that, considering how much else they've tried to copy from them over the years.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

I would counter that if I'm a dirty cop and I get heat visioned, any amount of heat vision, I'm going straight.

I'm not loving around with a guy who has laser eyes.

You gotta figure Bats does drat near the same thing though, right? Like you'd also quit fuckin around if you got a Batarang to the nose.

It's really kind of dumb that Gotham is so much worse when Metropolis is like, right across the bay. Does Superman not go out of the city limits? It wouldn't be anything for him to take care of both cities.

Batman specifically tells him not to do that a lot. I think it's about escalation.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Professional courtesy.

Batman is a sad man. Let him have his dirty, broken and corrupt city.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Clark tried to help out during No Man's Land. He hauled in huge shipments of food and supplies...
...which were immediately seized and distributed among the gangs, and sold among the hapless citizenry at a vicious mark-up. He's a little too naive to actually tackle Gotham's problems. Gotham criminals deal with a kung-fu boogeyman dressed up like Dracula breaking their legs and appearing seemingly by magic in their lairs and homes and they still go out and rob banks and sell heroin, they're not going to be spooked by a stern dad wrapped in primary colors who drinks a glass of milk at every meal and is in bed by 9:30 every night.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the Flash could do it, he'd basically make them all feel like jackasses. They pull a gun and suddenly they're tied up in their underwear. During no man's land he would just distribute everything himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's just in BvS. The comics usually depict them as several hours away.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rhyno posted:

That's just in BvS. The comics usually depict them as several hours away.

Not for Superman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Well they are both supposed to be New York, but I've always pictures then as New York and Boston.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Gotham is Chicago if Chicago were in New Jersey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not for Superman.

Like he gives a poo poo.

Mr Hootington posted:

Well they are both supposed to be New York, but I've always pictures then as New York and Boston.

Metropolis was based on Cleveland.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I always heard Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought New York and Chicago. Apparently its New York and New Jersey though perhaps New York and Baltimore would be more apt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

You gotta figure Bats does drat near the same thing though, right? Like you'd also quit fuckin around if you got a Batarang to the nose.

Batman specifically tells him not to do that a lot. I think it's about escalation.

Batman can only move so fast, and for a comparison New York has over 40000 cops.

If you keep your head low you can get away with being dirty around Batman for quite a while. He's not going to go after the cop taking kickbacks when Riddler is threatening to blow up Wayne Tower if Batman doesn't go on The Price is Right and unmask himself while also winning the double Showcase.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Really? Huh. Checks out with googling. They have just turned into "New York" over the years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I always heard Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.

Siegel was from Cleveland, Shuster from Toronto so it's gone back and forth a bit. In the films I think Metropolis is NYC and Gotham is Jersey.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gotham is Bad City, Metropolis is Good City. Gotham has LA gangs next to New York and Chicago mobs driving down DC streets past New England architecture along the Baltimore waterfront with a shitload of European gargoyles for some reason.

Metropolis is art deco happy hope times, in contrast.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Green Lanterns desperately needs a new artist for me to not automatically dislike it. This week's issue isn't as bad as the GL: Rebirth issue's art, but the artist is still a really bad choice for a book that costars a female character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Gotham is Bad City, Metropolis is Good City. Gotham has LA gangs next to New York and Chicago mobs driving down DC streets past New England architecture along the Baltimore waterfront with a shitload of European gargoyles for some reason.

Metropolis is art deco happy hope times, in contrast.

Actually, Opal City is the Art Deco one.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I always assumed the reason people stayed in Gotham was because having a major Justice League founder operate out of your city is a major tourist attraction so people stay to cash in on that thriving business. The constant supervillain attacks sucks but imagine what you could make selling "authentic" battarangs to dumb tourists from Metropolis!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I always assumed living in Gotham 'made sense' only when you try to look at the large scale reality of living in the DC Universe.

I mean, even within the compacted New 52 timeline, Gotham got taken over by the Riddler and turned into a weird post-industrial hellscape, it got set on fire by a barrage of crazy zombie One Percenters who secretly run the entire city, then another secret cabal blew up most of the city and destroyed the police department from within and set dozens of skyscrapers burning, then the Joker killed a few thousand people to gently caress with Batman, then the Joker turned everyone still alive into crazy maniacs who killed each other (after making crazy maniac Justice League pummel the poo poo out of the city, then someone mind-controlled all of the teenagers in the city and made them try to kill everyone else, then someone turned into a giant plant monster and infected thousands of people and knocked over a bunch of buildings and etc.

But on the other hand, around the world there were extinction level events happening every other week, entire cities and nations being wiped off of the map, etc. At least in Gotham the murder rate is only like 1 in 12, you could gently caress up and move to Bludhaven and just straight up get nuked.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Living in Gotham makes no sense but neither does living in Detroit. Some people can't afford to move or they've lived there for 6 generations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is star city not a thing anymore? Why is Ollie just in Seattle now?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

greatn posted:

Is star city not a thing anymore? Why is Ollie just in Seattle now?
Pre-Flashpoint, a big fight with Merlyn resulted in Merlyn (and I forget who he was working with, Alexander Luthor?) blowing up literally one third of Star City. Then as Green Arrow dealt with the fallout of that, Prometheus tried to teleport the whole city into space but only half succeeded, destroying a giant miles-wide star shaped area in the middle of the town, with a death toll in the six figures.

Then the pit that in the shape of a star turns into a forest that is really just Black Lantern Swamp Thing building up the power to destroy the planet, eventually though they stop that and I think the forest burns down but maybe Swamp Thing was going to restore the forest but then Dr Manhattan took all of the love out of this old idyllic universe so we'll never know what became of Star City.

After Dr. Manhattan stole ten years of love and laughs from the DC Universe, Star City hasn't existed and Green Arrow has always been based in Seattle, except for once or twice when people forgot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edge & Christian posted:

I always assumed living in Gotham 'made sense' only when you try to look at the large scale reality of living in the DC Universe.

I mean, even within the compacted New 52 timeline, Gotham got taken over by the Riddler and turned into a weird post-industrial hellscape, it got set on fire by a barrage of crazy zombie One Percenters who secretly run the entire city, then another secret cabal blew up most of the city and destroyed the police department from within and set dozens of skyscrapers burning, then the Joker killed a few thousand people to gently caress with Batman, then the Joker turned everyone still alive into crazy maniacs who killed each other (after making crazy maniac Justice League pummel the poo poo out of the city, then someone mind-controlled all of the teenagers in the city and made them try to kill everyone else, then someone turned into a giant plant monster and infected thousands of people and knocked over a bunch of buildings and etc.

But on the other hand, around the world there were extinction level events happening every other week, entire cities and nations being wiped off of the map, etc. At least in Gotham the murder rate is only like 1 in 12, you could gently caress up and move to Bludhaven and just straight up get nuked.

Yeah statistically you might get beat up and mugged and you might know someone who gets pop-crimed but if you live in Metropolis before too long someone is going to throw a huge robot gorilla through your windshield.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Travis343 posted:

Yeah statistically you might get beat up and mugged and you might know someone who gets pop-crimed but if you live in Metropolis before too long someone is going to throw a huge robot gorilla through your windshield.
It's much worse to live in a city where there is no super famous Justice League member living there, because those are literally eradicated, killing millions. Terrible things happen all of the time in Metropolis and Gotham, but the death toll never reaches the majority of the town.

Coast City is the exception that proves the rule, and if you're protected by a b-lister then you're in danger, as the tale of Star City shows. If there is no superhero at all, you could be Montevideo or Topeka or Fakeistan and just straight up be genocided.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
On the other hand if you live south of the border you will be safely ignored by everyone :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

On the other hand if you live south of the border you will be safely ignored by everyone :v:

Superman will show up to make a frowny face at some point, which is pretty cool.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Woah woah woah, don't base Gotham's geographical location from BvS Gotham has always been a ways off from Metropolis. Like a few states either north or to the west near the great lakes. And if Superman regularly did lay down the law in Gotham he wouldn't be able to handle how truly hosed up Gotham is what with the super psychopaths, ancient secret societies, abundance of regular psychopaths. Mentally he'd break and then you'd just have Injustice Superman all over again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wasn't there some kind of official DC tie-in thing that shows Gotham in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware? I know I've seen pictures of it before.

EDIT: This was years ago before the movies and New 52 stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Wasn't there some kind of official DC tie-in thing that shows Gotham in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware? I know I've seen pictures of it before.

EDIT: This was years ago before the movies and New 52 stuff.

There have been several and they all contradict each other.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like to think that Gotham is one of the largest cities in Massachusetts. Maybe made up of Essex, Ipswich, Arkham and Innsmouth?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gotham is near Springfield.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JoshTheStampede posted:

Living in Gotham makes no sense but neither does living in Detroit. Some people can't afford to move or they've lived there for 6 generations.

Detroit really needs more super heroes. Got plenty from Detroit, but they never stick around to clean up the neighborhood.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Detroit really needs more super heroes. Got plenty from Detroit, but they never stick around to clean up the neighborhood.

They had an entire Justice League!

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gotham is near Springfield.

I'd be ok with the idea of Gotham existing in multiple places at any given time like some sort of quantum city. Hell that would probably still make it one of the more mundane places to live in DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

They had an entire Justice League!

And look how that ended.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

Detroit had RoboCop. What more do you need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville to work there while living in Smallville.