Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The thing with these movies that drives me loving bonkers is how Christians are portrayed as some kind of oppressed minority because people want a clear separation of Church and State. Christians have not been an oppressed minority since the Roman Empire stopped feeding them to the lions.

Alternatively, they're being made as a result of atheists like Richard Dawkins screaming how dumb they are for having faith. I dunno.

I think it's more that for a few years, it's been made clear that Evangelicals are the odd man out in a lot of the political conversation. More liberal America thinks they're bonkers, rich conservatives treat them like pawns. Most of the country lacks their same bloodlust for queers or blacks. So, they feel oppressed in the sense that they're not acknowledged as being pious any more, just being out of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Last Buffalo posted:

I think it's more that for a few years, it's been made clear that Evangelicals are the odd man out in a lot of the political conversation. More liberal America thinks they're bonkers, rich conservatives treat them like pawns. Most of the country lacks their same bloodlust for queers or blacks. So, they feel oppressed in the sense that they're not acknowledged as being pious any more, just being out of the loop.

So they're feeling oppressed by not actually being oppressed.

I can dig it.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
More like not being able to oppress others, the greatest liberty one can strive for.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So they're feeling oppressed by not actually being oppressed.

I can dig it.

It's basically a real-life version this Simpsons joke. Except, instead of quietly accepting that their views have become outdated, fundamentalists are desperately trying to stay relevant. That's why they fight so ferociously against LGBT rights; not because they genuinely fear that gay marriage will drat America forever, but because they know it's pretty much the last issue where the rest of the US hasn't fully left them behind yet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Last Buffalo posted:

More like not being able to oppress others, the greatest liberty one can strive for.

They seem to still be doing just fine at oppressing others in the south and midwest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the weirder things about these movies is that christians are a minority in the world of the film--most characters are not christians and think of christianity as some alien, weird belief system. It's almost like those chick tracts where the white middle-class American sinner gets witnessed to and has never heard of jesus.

I guess these people would not consider the mainline liberal protestants who make up 90% of American christians to be real christians, though.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Jack Gladney posted:

One of the weirder things about these movies is that christians are a minority in the world of the film--most characters are not christians and think of christianity as some alien, weird belief system. It's almost like those chick tracts where the white middle-class American sinner gets witnessed to and has never heard of jesus.

I don't blame you for not watching the movies... but it's blatant that you haven't seen the movies. In the movies this church is putting out the only non-christians are minor characters for the most part. GND2 is probably the exception where some main characters are not (minus Kevin Sorbo in the first one).

Jack Gladney posted:

I guess these people would not consider the mainline liberal protestants who make up 90% of American christians to be real christians, though.

I don't and most seeing these movies don't... polling shows that most "evangelicals" don't attend church and if they do the average is once every three weeks. If you're not attending church... it's a pretty hard sell to say you're Christian.

Your numbers are off too. Around a third is Catholic, a third "Evangelical" and the last third "Mainline".

My own opinion, I'd never see these movies if it wasn't a social activity. They're not well written and pander to the caricature of both sides. There are certain elements that are believable but the way they feel the need to hit all the "talking points" kills it. Soul Surfer is probably the best representation and it's not really a "faith based" movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

xwing posted:

I don't blame you for not watching the movies... but it's blatant that you haven't seen the movies. In the movies this church is putting out the only non-christians are minor characters for the most part. GND2 is probably the exception where some main characters are not (minus Kevin Sorbo in the first one).

I don't and most seeing these movies don't... polling shows that most "evangelicals" don't attend church and if they do the average is once every three weeks. If you're not attending church... it's a pretty hard sell to say you're Christian.

Your numbers are off too. Around a third is Catholic, a third "Evangelical" and the last third "Mainline".

My own opinion, I'd never see these movies if it wasn't a social activity. They're not well written and pander to the caricature of both sides. There are certain elements that are believable but the way they feel the need to hit all the "talking points" kills it. Soul Surfer is probably the best representation and it's not really a "faith based" movie.

What about anything '80s starting David AR White or depicting the rapture, or Rock: it's your Decision or The Pretender? I admittedly wasn't thinking of the blogger or girlfriend in God's Not Dead. But what about the way Sorbo and guests act during the dinner party? I haven't seen Saving Christmas.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Right now there's a movie in some theaters called "A Story Worth Living". It was advertised as a motorcycle movie, but was actually an evangelical film. Enough motorcycle enthusiasts got angry about the bait and switch for the movies website to give an apology in an open letter and offer refunds: http://www.astoryfilm.com/openletter.

My father saw the movie with a bunch of his riding buddies, and lots of people in the theater, including them, either walked out or started making fun of it.

I'm wondering whether the misdirection was intentional. Maybe their logic was that by tricking people into seeing the movie they may end up saving someone?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Of course

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I found one of these in a urinal once. Boy, was I pissed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't there a story about one of the backers of Plan 9 From Outer Space wanting to do something similar with that film and insisting on a Christian message to be inserted somehow?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't there a story about one of the backers of Plan 9 From Outer Space wanting to do something similar with that film and insisting on a Christian message to be inserted somehow?

nah, what happened was that ed wood being the kind of guy that he was conned some members of the Southern Baptist Convention into funding his lovely movie on the basis that they would then use the profits to bankroll educational christian films

edit: it's actually kind of fitting that probably the most famous and influential film ever produced primarily through christian philanthropy was Plan 9

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I had a DVD copy of The Brain that Wouldn't Die at one point and whatever source theyd used for the transfer was amazing. As you probably know there's a pretty seedy but in the middle where dude is looking for a skank to murder and put his dead wife's head onto. Right in the middle of, if I recall, a cat fight scene a title card just cut right in suddenly for some Catholic Decency group from back in the day.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I had a DVD copy of The Brain that Wouldn't Die at one point and whatever source theyd used for the transfer was amazing. As you probably know there's a pretty seedy but in the middle where dude is looking for a skank to murder and put his dead wife's head onto. Right in the middle of, if I recall, a cat fight scene a title card just cut right in suddenly for some Catholic Decency group from back in the day.

I guess that's why Mike and the 'Bots had to leave the theater right then.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The passion is back

quote:

Mel Gibson and writer Randall Wallace are working on a sequel to The Passion of the Christ that will tell the story of the resurrection of Jesus, Wallace tells The Hollywood Reporter.
Wallace, nominated for an Academy Award for scripting Gibson’s 1995 best picture Oscar winner Braveheart, on Thursday (reluctantly) confirmed rumors that he has begun to write a script for a story about the resurrection, telling THR that the project is becoming too difficult to keep under wraps.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-gibson-planning-passion-christ-901299

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Croisquessein posted:

I guess that's why Mike and the 'Bots had to leave the theater right then.

When I saw the movie "for real" I was wondering why I didn't remember that part from MST3K cause it sure sticks with you. That's some grim poo poo for a 60's sci fi movie.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
http://www.avclub.com/article/gods-not-dead-producers-are-being-sued-violating-o-237898

God's Not Dead producers are being sued for stealing the premise of their screenplay from another film.

quote:

Maybe God’s Not Dead, but he’ll probably wish he were when he learns about this lawsuit against the producers of the hokey franchise. According to The Wrap, Pure Flix Entertainment and co-founder David A.R. White are being sued for violating the eighth commandment, which The Simpsons or maybe Sunday school (and the New King James Bible) should have taught them is “Thou shalt not steal.” Screenwriters Kelly Monroe Kullberg and Michael Landon Jr. filed their suit on Monday, in which they claim that Pure Flix and White stole the premise for God’s Not Dead ’s from their screenplay for the unreleased film, Rise.

Landon Jr., whose father was Michael Landon of Little House On The Prairie fame, has been in the faith-based film business for a while, directing lots of films with “love” in the title for Hallmark Channel. And Kullberg has written about Finding God At Harvard (and After). Together, they wrote the screenplay for Rise, which they say tells the story of “a freshman at Harvard facing an environment hostile to her Christian faith” then said student “debates her professor three times on whether God exists.”

That’s part of the plot of God’s Not Dead, minus the “Professor Hercules converting to Christianity” bit, but the lawsuit’s complaint enumerates other similarities, including “the theme, set-up, opportunity, turning point, change of plans, complications, set back, final push, climax and aftermath of the Rise screenplay and the God’s Not Dead motion picture are the same.” Landon Jr. and Kullberg are seeking over $100 million, so if they win, they’ll have more money than, you know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok, but then he's basically just taking that from the old chain emails about some college professor doing the 'God is Dead' thing

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok, but then he's basically just taking that from the old chain emails about some college professor doing the 'God is Dead' thing

Well if they can prove that they tried to sell their screenplay to PureFlix, and PureFlix records show that they at one point had a copy of "Rise" in their offices, David A.R. White is in some hot water.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I love that the only way for Pureflix to get out of this is to admit that they cribbed the story from an email forward that exists in the public domain. Unless that one Jack Chick tract came before it...

Heck it'd be great if the defense had to cite the snopes article on the email forward.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I know no one actually attempts to look into the press for these movies, but Sorbo had a whole, McCarthy-like talking point about a 'list' of real-world examples of secular censorship of religion in higher education.

Like, that dumb chain email comes from somewhere - It just usually plays out in a way less righteous, more fanatic and embarrassing way once you add popular objectivity.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

How on earth do you stretch that into an entire movie?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

swampland posted:

John 21:25 posted:

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Is that after the resurrection or before?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I never saw Passion, so I don't know where it ends. But there's a fair bit of post crucifixion material. 3 days plus the ressurection, appearing to the disciples and others several times, ascension, and then could lead into pentecost.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

smallmouth posted:

I never saw Passion, so I don't know where it ends. But there's a fair bit of post crucifixion material. 3 days plus the ressurection, appearing to the disciples and others several times, ascension, and then could lead into pentecost.

It ended with resurrected Jesus stepping out of the cave. I think the last shot is of the holes in his hands.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

It ended with resurrected Jesus stepping out of the cave. I think the last shot is of the holes in his hands.

That sounds just like hook for a sequel about someone coming back for revenge!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

That sounds just like hook for a sequel about someone coming back for revenge!

I would be all about a B-movie esque Jesus rampage movie.

"He died for your sins, but this summer, he's going to rack up a few of his own." *Jesus cocks shotgun*

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

swampland posted:

Is that after the resurrection or before?

After. It's literally the last verse in the gospels.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

WampaLord posted:

"He died for your sins, but this summer, he's going to rack up a few of his own." *Jesus cocks shotgun*

Starring Charles Bronson.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

swampland posted:

Throw in all the crazy stuff the apostles got up to after the resurrection. I want to watch Saint Peter fight a wizard. I want to watch the audience watch Saint Peter fight a wizard.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

K. Waste posted:

I know no one actually attempts to look into the press for these movies, but Sorbo had a whole, McCarthy-like talking point about a 'list' of real-world examples of secular censorship of religion in higher education.

Like, that dumb chain email comes from somewhere - It just usually plays out in a way less righteous, more fanatic and embarrassing way once you add popular objectivity.

A few years ago, a movie called Expelled came out. It purported to be a documentary about several real life instances of big evil secular education firing or demoting good wholesome folk for the crime of "teaching the controversy" about evolution and creationism. Each example turned out to be exaggerated or deliberately misinterpreted. Hosted by Ben Stein, of "Win Ben Stein's Money" and "Write Richard Nixon's Speeches" fame.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Also noted for including a clip of Richard Dawkins getting his makeup put on with the intended message that he was vain and flamboyant despite everyone getting makeup before being put in front of a camera in any professional production.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Animal-Mother posted:

A few years ago, a movie called Expelled came out. It purported to be a documentary about several real life instances of big evil secular education firing or demoting good wholesome folk for the crime of "teaching the controversy" about evolution and creationism. Each example turned out to be exaggerated or deliberately misinterpreted. Hosted by Ben Stein, of "Win Ben Stein's Money" and "Write Richard Nixon's Speeches" fame.

The movie was such a bomb that the only positive quote they could get for the cover of the DVD was one from Ben Stein himself:

Not even the fundies could pretend that it was a good movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lol I never noticed that before. That's pathetic.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WampaLord posted:

Didn't Seth Macfarlane pretty much do this when Family Guy came back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZ4Ui8izKk

Not that I'm opposed to that idea. Someone get writing!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Guy Mann posted:

The movie was such a bomb that the only positive quote they could get for the cover of the DVD was one from Ben Stein himself:

Not even the fundies could pretend that it was a good movie.

I imagine it's meant to be humor, since Stein is a comedic actor. I don't think they were like "Well, Ben Stein liked it, let's put it on there."

Of course, that doesn't make the movie any better, since it's all pretty stupid. But still.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
A few of my friends bought me a used copy of Expelled as a joke. Paid 2 bucks which was still too much. It's aggressively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's appallingly poorly reasoned and dishonestly presented. It turned me against Ben Stein.

• Locked thread