Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most of my "loving around" hero time is when I'm playing with friends, and they know I'm not gonna pull my weight so I don't feel as guilty playing McCree or Widow or whatever the gently caress I decided to try out that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Imagined posted:

So if you're solo queueing because you want to stink it up learning new characters without letting your friends list down, and you're an actual human being and not a douchebag, how do you join a game and watch no one choose a tank or healer and then resist the compulsion to pick one yourself in order to, y'know, win, when you're really trying to practice your D.VA or whatever?

My advice is not to care, especially when you are queueing by yourself. This is a video game, play what's the most fun! The more you feel obligated to play a character the sooner your fun will turn into drudgery, and who wants to pay 40-60 bucks for that?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fibby Boy posted:

Is zarya's shield damage based? Like is there a max amount of damage it takes before blowing up?

It takes 200 damage before ending. Most people try not to shoot Zarya's shield because that just makes her angry when it's easier to wait until it drops.

However, Bastion laughs at your puny 200 HP shield. Do not charge into a deployed Bastion, because he will chew through your shield and then your health before you get a chance to use your charge. Only edge into Bastion's firing lane long enough to get your 50 charge, then back off and lob grenades at whoever you can see.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Probably a really dumb question. Are games just PC or just console or do they mix?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I have seen matchmaking perfection, and it was good. We were three guys playing in a group, and the other team also had three guys playing in a group, with randoms making up the rest. Had a really nice run of games, where the teams were evenly matched, traded hard-fought wins and marginal losses and it lasted for like two hours. Then the other group left, and it became horrible. It was fun while it lasted, though.

I'm also amazed (but not really) at the amount of people who claim McCree is now broken and useless. I'm loving it, though. Can't just go around and E+RMB everyone to death at mid range? Worthless, might as well remove him!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Is zarya's shield damage based? Like is there a max amount of damage it takes before blowing up?

200 damage but there's no bleed through so it can soak a sticky grenade, dva self destruct, high noon, etc, without any issues

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Grammaton posted:

Probably a really dumb question. Are games just PC or just console or do they mix?

The game is not cross platform.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really wish either Zarya's shields lasted longer(maybe have them last until broken but reduce their amount by half or more), or her weapon had more oomph by default cause it is kinda hard to use her right now, probably the most user unfriendly hero in the game besides maybe Dva or Zenyatta

Admittedly it might just be me being awful with timing her abilities and aiming her beam but still

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish either Zarya's shields lasted longer(maybe have them last until broken but reduce their amount by half or more), or her weapon had more oomph by default cause it is kinda hard to use her right now, probably the most user unfriendly hero in the game besides maybe Dva or Zenyatta

Admittedly it might just be me being awful with timing her abilities and aiming her beam but still

She's the easiest tank for me to play on console :shrug:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Zarya is just:

Do I have charge?

Yes - go melt faces

No - get charge

You get good at shielding yourself and shielding others and the gun has more oomph than just about anything else in the game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Actual list of Legendary Skins that are “eh”:

Lucio: Hockey Skins, because Frogmen are way cooler.
Mercy: Imp Skin doesn’t have special voicelines compared the other three.
Pharah: Raptorion has same color scheme as stock skin, Mechaqueen looks way beter.
Soldier 76: only Strike-Commander Morrison is good because I self-identify as a cis white male.
Toblerone: Biker skins pale in comparison to mother loving pirates.
Tracer: Personal preference cause she look weird af.
Zenyatta: Persian skins are meh when you could be a godamn Fire Genie.
Winston: Exploration suits don’t have a mustache.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

drrockso20 posted:

I think her lazer beam needs better feedback visually. It's really hard to judge how far it shoots, and I also think hitting the enemy with it just doesn't feel responsive enough. Like there needs to be some kind of impact effect on the lazer hitting the dude beyond the health going down, or a better one cause I don't really notice it if there is. I want to get better with her but those two things just make her feel really awkward to me. Her sheilding mechanic is weird too but I feel like I just need to keep playing her and getting used to them, but the other two things I mentioned I think could stand to be outright changed. Just visually for clarity's sake

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think that her shield should last for a second or two more.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Mechaqueen skin is the best because it turns all your rockets into nerf darts

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Prav posted:

harsh, but fair

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon on goon violence from the in-house earlier tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-hnxqR066o

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Scherloch posted:

I'm also amazed (but not really) at the amount of people who claim McCree is now broken and useless. I'm loving it, though. Can't just go around and E+RMB everyone to death at mid range? Worthless, might as well remove him!

he's not useless, but in almost all situations you'd be better off with another character in his place.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

He's still arguably the best in the game at picking off Tracer and forcing defensive CDs from Reaper/Genji, but I generally use S76 nowadays as my go-to for generic midrange damage and tank killing.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
Pharah might be better against Tracer anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zorodius posted:

Pharah might be better against Tracer anyway

How is Pharah a tracer counter?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Change Winston's name to Harambe

https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-b...medium=copylink

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Andrast posted:

A point blank direct hit + melee will instantly kill a non-Photon Shielded Tracer, although I wouldn't exactly recommend getting close enough to Tracer to try it.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Andrast posted:

she can't hit you in the air, and you have splash damage

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Imagined posted:

Goons, I know you like to suddenly have some really important IRL to do and all flee groups as soon as we lose, but maybe losing two KotH rounds where both teams were near 99% and it went into Overtime isn't a sign that "your group completely sucks and there's no hope for these people". Every loving other goon group I get in seems to magically have infinite time for game after game when we're winning, but falls apart as soon as we lose one game, no matter how close it was.

This is because it's less drama to disband the group than it is to gently suggest that someone stop actively ruining your chances of winning.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I really wish there was an "I don't want to ever play this gamemode" ability. I can't stand how stupid people are on King of the Hill maps. Please.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I really wish there was an "I don't want to ever play this gamemode" ability. I can't stand how stupid people are on King of the Hill maps. Please.

playlists will be a thing once they have more maps, easily

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
drat it

I wiped out the enemy team as Pharah, then ended the killstreak by pointing my barrage at my own feet and killing myself

but the PotG cut out just before my suicide. Way to drop the ball, Jeff Kaplan.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

200 damage but there's no bleed through so it can soak a sticky grenade, dva self destruct, high noon, etc, without any issues

Was wondering since everytime I popped it it just got melted and left me looking like an idiot. Much as I tried Zarya just isn't the tank for me.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I love enemy torj turrets as Zarya, I'm guaranteed 100% charge every time. I also love suicidal tracers / Genji's because they give me a nice bit of charge when they run in or they get to play around behind the front lines if the enemy team decides not to shoot their shield.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

This game really needs a rogue-like character.

Nothing would make people rage more. Stealth Camo defensive assassin that when they move around in stealth, they are partly visible only via a small glimmer, much like in Heroes of the Storm.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
maybe i'm just a hosed up psychogamer, but i dont think "make players rage/be angry/dislike playing the video game" is a laudable design goal

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

maybe i'm just a hosed up psychogamer, but i dont think "make players rage/be angry/dislike playing the video game" is a laudable design goal

It was for Mei.

All joking aside - I think a stealth character could work in this. Some sort of character with a chameleon reference - standing close to walls blends you in with the wall textures. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a chameleon like omnic type character.

Edit: I want more omnics. I've also been thinking some sort of spider designed evil omnic would be awesome. It's movement ability could be to not just walk up walls, but ceilings as well. Think of Azmodan as a reference for design - multi legged omnic who walks on walls and cealings, shooting lasers and what have you.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Maybe if it was their ultimate and only made them invisible in an aoe or something. Then it would work. Just don't make it a regular ability

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Runefaust posted:

This game really needs a rogue-like character.

Nothing would make people rage more. Stealth Camo defensive assassin that when they move around in stealth, they are partly visible only via a small glimmer, much like in Heroes of the Storm.

Blizzard has said interviews that they've experimented with stealth characters and they aren't particularly fun for anyone involved. Sneaking up behind people in Overwatch is achieved via teleportation abilities.

If you really want invisibility, how about a support character who can temporarily make allies invisible? That feels closer to the Overwatch ethos.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
CAVS BABY IMMA WIN ALL MY MATCHES TONIGHT gently caress ALL YALL

Shions of Qud

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

verbal enema posted:

CAVS BABY IMMA WIN ALL MY MATCHES TONIGHT gently caress ALL YALL

I'm really disappointed in you, friend.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Fibby Boy posted:

Was wondering since everytime I popped it it just got melted and left me looking like an idiot. Much as I tried Zarya just isn't the tank for me.

It's okay man I'm a tank expert and even I can't play zarya. It's obvious she was designed for queers, faggots and women, whose f*cked up brains we can NOT understand.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

I'm really disappointed in you, friend.

love u bb <3

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Zarya is weird in that she's more of a medium-range tank, whereas the others are about mixing it up at melee or near-melee range. She wants her allies in front of her, not behind her, giving her charge from her ally-shield (which has a shorter cooldown than the personal shield for a reason) while she unleashes hell from the second row.

She excels at focusing down slow-moving or stationary targets. Reinhardt's shield, Torbjorn's turrets, other tanks and even turretted-up Bastions can be swept away by her pretty cleanly if she can get full charge.

And don't wait for the "perfect moment" to pop her Ult. Any time is a good time to cause chaos in the enemy ranks. If you can get three or more people in the suction, just let it fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rocketlex posted:

Blizzard has said interviews that they've experimented with stealth characters and they aren't particularly fun for anyone involved. Sneaking up behind people in Overwatch is achieved via teleportation abilities.

If you really want invisibility, how about a support character who can temporarily make allies invisible? That feels closer to the Overwatch ethos.

I feel this argument doesn't really hold water considering the amount of stuns, slows and insta-kill abilities in the game, most of which are definitely not particularly fun for anyone involved. How would stealth be any worse?