Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's actually kind of baffling they haven't copied that, considering how much else they've tried to copy from them over the years.

Yeah it's really weird. Like, Crisis was born out of DC being both insanely envious of Marvel's invention of the modern-day crossover event and their desire to wipe the slate clean and attempt some form of a singular, persistent universe like the 616 (despite the fact that DC's whole appeal is that they don't have one), and they've been chasing after it ever since. And it's weird that DC has waffled so heavily on whether or not to have a multiverse and whether or not to have legacy characters showing up and hanging out with modern-day Flashes and Green Lanterns and Supermen considering every event ends up using them in some way.

I mean everyone makes a big joke of that dumb as hell Multiversity map, and admittedly it is pretty goddamn loving silly but on the other hand DC would be so, so much better off creatively if they just stuck to the idea of Earth-One and Earth-Two and Earth-Three over trying to make DC into something it's not and never was, a persistent singular universe like the MU.

It's just really weird how they keep trying to fit the DCU square peg into the 616 round hole but petulantly refuse to do unequivocally good stuff like recap pages, which are a far far FAR simpler idea then loving ______Crisis where they attempt to make the canon no truly for reals one story this time, we swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville to work there while living in Smallville.

Hey, the airline companies really have their poo poo together ok? Fares are super cheap. You can probably thank LuthorTech for that you ungrateful so and so! :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville to work there while living in Smallville.

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville that you can see it from the top of a tiny windmill.

Smallville was a pretty poo poo show.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville that you can see it from the top of a tiny windmill.

Smallville was a pretty poo poo show.

It's an Elseworld where Superman has been trapped by a Black Mercy for centuries and we get to witness the visions as the plant, succumbing to old age, and Superman's mind slide into their ultimate breakdowns.

Any time you see something on the show that doesn't make sense, remember that.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

Living in Gotham makes no sense but neither does living in Detroit. Some people can't afford to move or they've lived there for 6 generations.

Detroit is clearly Hub City.

What's the worst American city in comics? Hub and Basin seem pretty close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In JLA/Avengers (i think) they stated that the DC Earth was a percentage larger than the Marvel one which gave them the extra space for all the fictional cities and nations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it was there, but that's silly since it's not like Marvel U is devoid of fictional cities or nations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it was there, but that's silly since it's not like Marvel U is devoid of fictional cities or nations.

I mean, Marvel's got Genosha and...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I mean, Marvel's got Genosha and...

Genosha, Latveria, Wakanda, that eastern European country Ultron destroyed, Madripoor, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Genosha, Latveria, Wakanda, that eastern European country Ultron destroyed, Madripoor, etc.

Psh, those are all the size of postage stamps. DC's got two dozen NYC sized cities and who knows how many extra EVIL nations at this point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

They had an entire Justice League!

The one people consider the worst one.

Didn't the New 52 Justice League form in Detroit where Cyborg became Cyborg? I also like to pretend the Avengers formed in Detroit, solely based on them fighting inside a car factory.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The one people consider the worst one.

Didn't the New 52 Justice League form in Detroit where Cyborg became Cyborg?

No, they formed somewhere with a coastline because there's that one page where Aquaman pops up out of nowhere with a shark and has it bite a parademon in half.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The entire DCU is secretly Vancouver, BC. You heard it here first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The entire DCU is secretly Vancouver, BC. You heard it here first.

Just the televised version.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Jack of Hearts posted:

What's the worst American city in comics? Hub and Basin seem pretty close.

Gotham is perpetually awful, but Bludhaven was even worse while it existed. I think you can also take enough of the supernatural Batman comics and start to make a pretty good case for Gotham being cursed.

AmbassadorFriendly fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

No, they formed somewhere with a coastline because there's that one page where Aquaman pops up out of nowhere with a shark and has it bite a parademon in half.

Actually, it was Metropolis.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah it's really weird. Like, Crisis was born out of DC being both insanely envious of Marvel's invention of the modern-day crossover event and their desire to wipe the slate clean and attempt some form of a singular, persistent universe like the 616 (despite the fact that DC's whole appeal is that they don't have one), and they've been chasing after it ever since. And it's weird that DC has waffled so heavily on whether or not to have a multiverse and whether or not to have legacy characters showing up and hanging out with modern-day Flashes and Green Lanterns and Supermen considering every event ends up using them in some way.

I mean everyone makes a big joke of that dumb as hell Multiversity map, and admittedly it is pretty goddamn loving silly but on the other hand DC would be so, so much better off creatively if they just stuck to the idea of Earth-One and Earth-Two and Earth-Three over trying to make DC into something it's not and never was, a persistent singular universe like the MU.

It's just really weird how they keep trying to fit the DCU square peg into the 616 round hole but petulantly refuse to do unequivocally good stuff like recap pages, which are a far far FAR simpler idea then loving ______Crisis where they attempt to make the canon no truly for reals one story this time, we swear.

I don't understand DC's motive. It's like they'll do a Crisis and say "This is our timeline and there's one Earth and these events happened, but these ones didn't." But like within 6 months we'll have an Earth 2. Without fail. And within 2 years we'll have 4 Robins and Impulse and 8 Green Lanterns of Earth and we end up back where we goddamn started. Why not try going the opposite way once? Why not just saying "No, gently caress it, there's a billion Earths and everyone you like is around somewhere" and let things go nuts? It's stupid, but it's comicbook stupid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

I don't understand DC's motive. It's like they'll do a Crisis and say "This is our timeline and there's one Earth and these events happened, but these ones didn't." But like within 6 months we'll have an Earth 2. Without fail. And within 2 years we'll have 4 Robins and Impulse and 8 Green Lanterns of Earth and we end up back where we goddamn started. Why not try going the opposite way once? Why not just saying "No, gently caress it, there's a billion Earths and everyone you like is around somewhere" and let things go nuts? It's stupid, but it's comicbook stupid.

They did that with Convergence and DC You.

No one bought the books so we're back to square one again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean Morrison literally gave them the option with loving Hypertime (which is probably the single most elegant solution to their insanely convoluted canon), and it's loving crazy to me that they made that non-canon over Barry Allen being real sad his Mom was dead and went back in time to fix it but then made everything worse so he had to go even more back in time but then a goddess showed up so now Vertigo and Wildstorm are canon too and now it's all one story except for these couple of books which are pre or out of canon so now there's only one universe except there's fifty-two universes and five years have passed but everything that happened previously to this story happened within those five years except in these very specific cases and also any new canon overrides the previous and Tim Drake was never a Robin I guess but also these other books are also in canon except they utilize characters who don't technically exist any more but they're still a sequel to the previous canon but wait sorry the goddess was killed by Dr. Manhattan who stole ten additional years and Wally West is back, sorry, none of that previous stuff happened. Unless it was good, in which case it did.

over

Everything that happened, happened. If there's direct contradictions in the canon, both events happened but time "fractured" creating two alternate realities. Everything is equally valid. Need a reason for something to happen? Hypertime! Need to explain away a plot loophole? Hypertime! There is no reason to treat the event crossover as a way to clean up canon because who the loving gently caress cares.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 17, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dc cares and enough people care for it to be worthwhile for them to keep rebooting and pushing out new books

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wish I had a cite for this, but I understand that Dan DiDio had wanted to do a COIE-style hard reboot for years, but kept getting stymied by someone above him (who had a nerdish concern against rebooting—I'm guessing Levitz), hence all the half-attempts like Infinite and Final Crises.

He finally got his reboot with the New 52, but that seems to have alienated readers (or, at least, not attracted enough of them). Their solution to that is Rebirth, masterminded by Geoff Johns. According to rumors, Johns was overruling DiDio instructions to the creative talent for Rebirth. Now, GJ is off making movies in The Saddest Superhero Film Universe, so who knows what's happening anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Metropolis was in the state of New Troy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I was wondering how the Freedom Fighters minis were during the Nu52? Did Uncle Sam ever show up too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Metropolis was in the state of New Troy.

New Troy is the Metropolis equivalent of Manhattan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

I mean Morrison literally gave them the option with loving Hypertime
Waid

Morrison's probably the only other writer who actually understood and bothered to use it, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman, Nightwing and Detective Comics will have a crossover in September, Night of the Monster Men

Steve Orlando is spearheading the story along King, Tynion and Seeley and Riley Rossmo is designing the eponymous Monster Men and drawing a couple of issues.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman vs. Kaiju, if they can somehow fit swordfighting and magical girls into this crossover I'll know DC has my apartment bugged.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman, Nightwing and Detective Comics will have a crossover in September, Night of the Monster Men

Steve Orlando is spearheading the story along King, Tynion and Seeley and Riley Rossmo is designing the eponymous Monster Men and drawing a couple of issues.

A crossover already? Yuck. Are they dusting off the Mad Monk again too?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

As long as the nightwing book is solid, I'm already buying the other two. :shrug:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

A crossover already? Yuck. Are they dusting off the Mad Monk again too?

I wish Matt Wagner was involved :(

Meanwhile, here is some news/preview/stuff about Gerard Way's Young Animal/Doom Patrol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Madkal posted:

I wish Matt Wagner was involved :(

Meanwhile, here is some news/preview/stuff about Gerard Way's Young Animal/Doom Patrol

I forgot about those books. Man I just read Umbrella academy and that book was garbage. Hope these are better because I was excited.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Waid

Morrison's probably the only other writer who actually understood and bothered to use it, though.

I wonder what DC would look like today if Waid and Morrison (and I think Millar and Peyer were involved as well) had managed to push on with their Superman soft-reboot for the new millennium. It would look pretty different, I reckon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Speaking of, remember that time that DC reprinted All-Star Superman 1 to tie in to Man of Steel releasing in theaters despite rear end being the exact opposite in tone from Man of Steel?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hypertime is three or five different things. The Waidest version is the in-setting timeline splitting mechanic thing, and the Morrisonest is the "everything happened, even the things that contradict the other things, because the magic of comics".

The best version is just the idea that the stories you cared about "count", even if they're from the movies or cartoons or Elseworld stories or w/e, and the ones you never read or didn't like? They don't count. If something you like relies closely on something that you don't like, then the latter exists for as long as it's required, and then quietly falls out of the timeline again.

That one isn't even a weird setting change that they need editorial to support; it's just a plea to readers to repeat to themselves "it's just a show, I should really just relax", and enjoy the good stuff. It's also the version Morrison's been running with most consistently, if quietly, in things like how all of his work with Superman seems to tie together into one rough timeline.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It helps repress the obsessive urge to read every issue in a series.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm really excited for the crossover if only because Rossmo is fantastic at creepy monster designs and Orlando is a solid writer. And with the bi-weekly schedule, it won't last very long.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's gonna be like a month, right? Six issues, three titles, each of which is double shipping. That'll be a fun little read, not a massive painful crossover.

God if only Robin War had been over that fast.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone would have a problem with a quick burn of a crossover like this.

Great team, great concept, and a far more graceful way of building up lead-time for the bi-weekly books than leaning hard on fill-in artists.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Squizzle posted:

Hypertime is three or five different things. The Waidest version is the in-setting timeline splitting mechanic thing, and the Morrisonest is the "everything happened, even the things that contradict the other things, because the magic of comics".

The best version is just the idea that the stories you cared about "count", even if they're from the movies or cartoons or Elseworld stories or w/e, and the ones you never read or didn't like? They don't count. If something you like relies closely on something that you don't like, then the latter exists for as long as it's required, and then quietly falls out of the timeline again.

That one isn't even a weird setting change that they need editorial to support; it's just a plea to readers to repeat to themselves "it's just a show, I should really just relax", and enjoy the good stuff. It's also the version Morrison's been running with most consistently, if quietly, in things like how all of his work with Superman seems to tie together into one rough timeline.

Hypertime is a great way to support the idea that continuity and story are both important but when they conflict story should win. It's basically just saying "Fine, you loving pedants, if you really need us to say that this is also canon in a different way than the other thing, then we'll say that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I am way into this monster thing. That's amazing.

I just read Justice League #51, which was about the JLs meeting Dick Grayson as Robin for the first time.
There was this guy observing from monitors talking about needing to feed on the heroes of this world and having an in through this boy (Dick.)
Then it told me to go read Titans: Rebirth. Was that followed up there?

edit: Batgirl #1 preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batgirl-1-dc-comics-2016

Albuquerque :swoon:

I like this way of doing foreign languages instead of..
<I'm speaking Japanese>*
*Translated from Japanese

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 17, 2016