Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

True or False: If Trump lost every single state BUT overwhelmingly won New York, he would be a happy man.

That might be a dream scenario for him honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Homework Explainer posted:

well they ARE nazis so being the future of the conservative movement makes sense

Milo yes, Gavin is just a broken brained dude who thinks he's the real punk rock anarchist.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Joementum posted:

According to email obtained by The Daily Beast from the Trump campaign, they are actively seeking volunteers to help make calls on his behalf in New York, a bleeding-blue state that the real estate mogul is convinced he can win in the general election.

And the only way to separate the true Trump loyalists from the rabble is by using a password when speaking to security guards.

New York is not a swing state.

“To show that you are an existing NYS supporter, check-in with building security by providing the special password, “DUTCHESS.” This password is valid now through Tuesday June 21, 2016.”

There is no indication as to what happens after that date.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/16/want-to-make-calls-for-trump-you-must-know-this-secret-word.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

I wasn't sure we'd left reality before but this pretty much confirms it

What Sliders-style wormhole did we fall through and what's this universe's gimmick

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-one-four-americans-rank-terrorism-top-issue-americans-split-n593886

quote:

The Orlando shooting has also become a topic in the 2016 presidential race. Donald Trump had a strong reaction to the shooting and has brought attention back to his plan to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the United States.

Americans are split on how they feel about a temporary ban. Half of Americans support the ban and 46 percent oppose, the poll showed.

The poll also shows that half of Americans — 51 percent — are worried that they or someone in their family might become a victim of a terrorist attack, while 48 percent said they are not worried.

It looks like America is in favor of the Muslim ban it is just that most people don't see terrorism as their top issue.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Phobophilia posted:

the fact that hillary knows how to hire people instead of micromanaging everything like trump already tells me more about their competency at governing

how well candidates run their campaigns is actually a pretty good general metric for judging their overall competency at governing in general imo

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Montasque posted:

Milo yes, Gavin is just a broken brained dude who thinks he's the real punk rock anarchist.

The presence of and nearly open acceptance of homosexuality in weimar germany [esp. in berlin] and their assistance in the rise of hitler is super fascinating imo.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Necc0 posted:

how well candidates run their campaigns is actually a pretty good general metric for judging their overall competency at governing in general imo

She's tons better at building a coalition (not as good as Obama though!) to then go persecute her enemy which is also a good sign.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Montasque posted:

The Milo/American right relationship is fascinating to watch. Just a year ago these people would be screaming calling him a Sodomite, and now they think he's just the bee's knees.

Also the next generation talk-radio guys are starting to form and looks like Milo and Gavin McInnis are the future of conservative talkers.

Yes, a homosexual half jew from England, and a dip poo poo Canuck who once wrote an extensive guide to eating pussy are the future of the conservative movement.

Milo is a deep cover agent normalizing homosexuality in conservative circles.

Welp, thats my fanfic, hope you liked it.

E: The worst thing about Milo is that often the people protesting him are bigger dipshits which helps legitimize him in the face of his fans. If you're going to protest Milo, try not to be a jackass. Non-violent protest should be standard training for diversity centers or whatever.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 17, 2016

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Necc0 posted:

Cronyism is actually my biggest concern with Hillary. The 2008 campaign was a poo poo show full of Trump esque idiots that she tolerated for their loyalty. I expect competency to be at the bottom of the list when it comes to anyone in her administration. Any positives for this campaign I would attribute to forme Obama stafd because she has never shown this level of competent organization before.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
W!

quote:

After eight years of largely abstaining from politics, former President George W. Bush is throwing himself into an effort to save his party’s most vulnerable senators, including several whose re-election campaigns have been made more difficult by Donald J. Trump’s presence at the top of the ticket.

In the weeks since Mr. Trump emerged as the party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Mr. Bush has headlined fund-raisers for two Republican senators and has made plans to help three more. Among them are Senators John McCain of Arizona, who was one of Mr. Trump’s earliest targets of derision, and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, who has struggled to respond to Mr. Trump’s inflammatory talk.

Friends say that the former president is deeply bothered by Mr. Trump’s campaign message, especially his derogatory remarks about Muslims and immigrants. At the event with Mr. McCain, Mr. Bush stressed the importance of preserving the Republican-held Senate as a “check and balance” on the White House, suggesting that such a check was needed, whether the next president is Mr. Trump or Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Mr. Bush announced through a spokesman last month that he would not support Mr. Trump’s candidacy and would not attend the Republican convention in Cleveland next month. His father, former President George Bush, and his brother Jeb Bush, who was defeated and ridiculed by Mr. Trump in the primary campaign, are also staying away.

It has been a painful year for the Bushes, as Mr. Trump has not only upended the party that they dominated for decades but has done so by publicly repudiating the 43rd president’s legacy. Mr. Trump denounced the 2003 invasion of Iraq as a foreign policy disaster, blamed Mr. Bush for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and painted his presidency as a failure. Yet Mr. Trump suffered little backlash from voters in the Republican primaries as a result.

While Mr. Bush raised money for his brother Jeb and appeared at a South Carolina rally for him, he has largely refrained from taking on Mr. Trump, or overtly engaging in politics in any way. But he is motivated to try to shore up Republican control of the Senate, which he views as a force for stability at a chaotic time in politics, and to help those who reflect his more inclusive brand of conservatism.

“President Bush believes that it’s critical to keep the Senate in Republican hands,” said Freddy Ford, Mr. Bush’s spokesman, who confirmed the heightened activity. “He is actively helping some senators in tight races who are strong leaders and share timeless conservative values.”

The fund-raisers held by Mr. Bush are expected to generate hundreds of thousands of dollars for the candidates, in total.

Next week, he will appear in St. Louis at a fund-raiser for Senator Roy Blunt of Missouri. And similar events are being planned for Senators Ron Johnson of Wisconsin and Rob Portman of Ohio.

“I’m pleased he is coming,” Mr. Blunt said in a brief interview this week on Capitol Hill. He added: “He hasn’t given a political speech since he left, so I am interested to hear what he has to say. In Missouri he is still very popular, as he is more and more all over the country.”

Mr. Johnson said he was looking forward to his reception with Mr. Bush, in part because he has never even had a conversation with the former president, underscoring how much Mr. Bush has withdrawn from politics.

“All the Bushes are people of integrity,” said Mr. Johnson, who is locked in a difficult race with former Senator Russ Feingold.

On Thursday night, Mr. Trump said he was just fine with Mr. Bush’s activities. “I like that he’s helping certain Republicans,” Mr. Trump said, adding that Mr. Bush’s brother “had a great chance to beat me” and did not.

Mr. Bush’s effort to help down-ballot candidates fill their campaign coffers underscores how fissures in the Republican Party are affecting fund-raising. The senators are not receiving any fund-raising help from Mr. Trump, a typical role for the party’s standard-bearer. And few congressional candidates have sought Mr. Trump’s endorsement, given his high negative ratings in polls and unpredictable nature.

The support from Mr. Bush also reflects his rising standing. He was toxic to his own party in the final years of his presidency and left the White House deeply unpopular after two wars and a financial collapse that plunged the nation into recession.

Few candidates were clamoring for his help. Outside of helping his brother and his nephew, George P. Bush, the Texas land commissioner, and his friend Ed Gillespie in a Virginia Senate race, Mr. Bush has largely stayed away from campaigns since returning to Texas in 2009, writing only a handful of personal checks for candidates who visited his Dallas office.

But 47 percent of people nationally view him favorably now, according to a February poll from Quinnipiac University. (Mr. Trump’s favorability was at 31 percent in a June 15 national poll from Bloomberg Politics.)

Further, Mr. Bush is highly popular among Republicans, especially the party elites who are big campaign donors. The hosts listed on the invitations for the fund-raisers for Mr. McCain and Mr. Blunt include some of the country’s leading Republican contributors who have recoiled from Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

In retirement, unlike former President Bill Clinton, Mr. Bush does not devour daily political developments and intrigue, and largely shuns television news coverage. But Mr. Trump has presented a message starkly different from the one offered by Mr. Bush, especially on terrorism and racial tensions.

At a debate in February, Mr. Trump said that Mr. Bush’s administration “lied” about intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. And he excoriated Mr. Bush for the Sept. 11 attacks.

“The World Trade Center came down during the reign of George Bush, right? I mean, it came down,” Mr. Trump said at a news conference. “We weren’t safe.”

At a rally that night in support of Jeb Bush, the only public event that he appeared at for his brother, the former president seemed to refer to Mr. Trump without naming him.

“I understand that Americans are angry and frustrated, but we do not need someone in the Oval Office who mirrors and inflames our anger and frustration,” Mr. Bush said. “We need someone that can fix the problems that cause our anger and frustration.”

This week, after the deadly shooting in Florida by a United States citizen whose parents were from Afghanistan and who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, Mr. Trump called for an expanded ban on Muslim immigrants.

“We need to tell the truth also about how radical Islam is coming to our shores,” Mr. Trump said, accusing Muslims in the United States of not doing enough to stop terrorism.

Mr. Trump’s speech was in stark contrast to the approach Mr. Bush took after the 2001 attacks.

“The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam,” Mr. Bush said in a speech on Sept. 17, 2001, at the Islamic Center in Washington. “Islam is peace.”

He criticized reported attacks against Muslims in America. “They need to be treated with respect,” Mr. Bush said.

This week, the candidate who most echoed Mr. Bush’s message was Mrs. Clinton.

“President Bush went to a Muslim community center just six days after the attacks to send a message of unity and solidarity,” Mrs. Clinton said in a speech in Ohio, adding, “It is time to get back to the spirit of those days, spirit of 9/12.”

Mr. Bush declines to praise or criticize either Mr. Trump or Mrs. Clinton in public settings. “My candidate lost,” he tells audiences, referring to his brother.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/us/politics/george-w-bush-gop-fundraising.html

The last Republican president is working to protect the seats of Republican Senators so they can act as a check on the power of the possible next Republican president.

In case any of you guys are thinking of getting any fun gifts for Reince Preibus, I have a suggestion:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

The presence of and nearly open acceptance of homosexuality in weimar germany [esp. in berlin] and their assistance in the rise of hitler is super fascinating imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jayisspecial posted:

Cronyism is actually my biggest concern with Hillary. The 2008 campaign was a poo poo show full of Trump esque idiots that she tolerated for their loyalty. I expect competency to be at the bottom of the list when it comes to anyone in her administration. Any positives for this campaign I would attribute to forme Obama stafd because she has never shown this level of competent organization before.

What's the alternative, preferring how Trump is running things?

Loyalty is prized above all when it comes to these things, hence why a Sanders campaign would feature Gabbard up front but Sherrod Brown relegated to the cheap seats. Cronyism is popular because it's just a meritocracy for loyalty

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not a Step posted:

Milo is a deep cover agent normalizing homosexuality in conservative circles.

Welp, thats my fanfic, hope you liked it.

E: The worst thing about Milo is that often the people protesting him are bigger dipshits which helps legitimize him in the face of his fans. If you're going to protest Milo, try not to be a jackass. Non-violent protest should be standard training for diversity centers or whatever.

Epic High Five posted:

What's the alternative, preferring how Trump is running things?

Loyalty is prized above all when it comes to these things, hence why a Sanders campaign would feature Gabbard up front but Sherrod Brown relegated to the cheap seats. Cronyism is popular because it's just a meritocracy for loyalty

Attitudes like that are how Cruz winds up president.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 17, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

The Milo/American right relationship is fascinating to watch. Just a year ago these people would be screaming calling him a Sodomite, and now they think he's just the bee's knees.
They still consider him a sodomite and Milo agrees with them. His promiscuous flaming persona is proof, according to him, that gays are decadent and should be put back in the closet.

Which is just :psyduck:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/743643524529274880

he's learning, he's so good at this, here comes the pivot this time for sure, etc.

maybe that's why the rally was so manic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump finally pivots: "I'm losing bigly," says candidate

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Imagine being a waiter, walking up to your next table, and it's these two

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/14/donald-trump-former-employee-interviews-ego-diversity

quote:

Trump consistently argues that he only hires the best people, and when in office his inner circle will consist of “people you’ve never heard of that are better than all of them”. But one source with intimate knowledge of Trump’s working practice, who declined to be named, disagreed entirely.

“He says he’s going to get the best people around. But he doesn’t do that – he never has,” said the source.

“Because he doesn’t listen to them, and then they leave. And if anybody is ever credited with doing anything good, he gets rid of them because he hates when anybody else gets credit.”

Pinkett, too, was struck by the groupthink of Trump’s inner circle in 2005. “They tend not just to look like him but also think like him,” he said. “So it kind of reinforces his way of thinking.”

yeah, people have observed that trump has has a habit of hiring toadies. manafort's good, but lewandowski is a total asskisser who has been freezing out manafort

how the heck did trump get manafort anyway? a rec from putin? or does manafort have a detect evil spell?

Jayisspecial posted:

yeah, i have no idea if her abilities have improved over the past 8 years. at least there'd be some continuity between the two administrations, and i dont see evidence of any kind of toxic power struggle that would lead to clinton wholesale replacing obama staff with her cronies

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jayisspecial posted:

so i'm guessing you're not aware that a bunch of obama's initial cabinet / staffers / get-poo poo-doners were clinton loyalists?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/14/donald-trump-former-employee-interviews-ego-diversity

yeah, people have observed that trump has has a habit of hiring toadies. manafort's good, but lewandowski is a total asskisser who has been freezing out manafort

how the heck did trump get manafort anyway? a rec from putin? or does manafort have a detect evil spell?

yeah, i have no idea if her abilities have improved over the past 8 years. at least there'd be some continuity between the two administrations, and i dont see evidence of any kind of toxic power struggle that would lead to clinton wholesale replacing obama staff with her cronies

Trump started hanging with Lee Atwater and Roger Stone back in the late 80's and I assume Manafort(who's business partner was Roger Stone) was a part of that circle of really cool dudes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, this Milo douche actually matters? He's not just some random rear end the forum likes to mock like Chuck Johnson or Matt Walsh? He's actually a player?

And Gavin McInnis? All I know about that guy is he cofounder Vice and once was on Hannity and was such a sexist prick to the lady there she nearly stormed off while Hannity just laughed.

You're telling me these two matter? Does that mean I need to learn Milo's last name?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Hillary already is outperforming Obama's win margin in his home state in 2012 by a point.

https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/743650642250563584

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

well of course he'd hire people like him, he said he'd hire the best!

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do the polls even matter at this point. It is one thing to spend money when the other person is doing the same. She is flooding airwaves with ads that people will forget in days months before the election just to make some meaningless mid-summer nights polls move to feel better about herself. I don't think flooding the airwaves with trump memes is going to go the way she plans. At some point people will tire of Trump and Hillary will be the one that keeps forcing him upon us.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, this Milo douche actually matters? He's not just some random rear end the forum likes to mock like Chuck Johnson or Matt Walsh? He's actually a player?

And Gavin McInnis? All I know about that guy is he cofounder Vice and once was on Hannity and was such a sexist prick to the lady there she nearly stormed off while Hannity just laughed.

You're telling me these two matter? Does that mean I need to learn Milo's last name?

I'd guess if ppp did a poll question of approval of the alt-right the breakdown would be 4% approve 6% disapprove 90% no opinion. And I might be overestimating how many people have an opinion on them.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

STAC Goat posted:

well- he started off as a curiosity/nobody that only a place like sa would care to mock but he managed to leverage gamergate to elevate himself and has since been landing all the 'correct' shots that allowed him to tap into athenew totally new vein of right-wing media now known as the 'alt-right'

any time i've seen him pop up outside of sa it's given me this deeply uncomfortable feeling knowing that i've been watching this monster for a while now. seeing him pop up on my facebook feed made my skin crawl

edit: looking up his history and of course he was a college dropout. just like the rest of the noise machine he couldn't hack it making an honest living so he decided to take the easy road

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 17, 2016

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Milo is just a reheated Andrew Sullivan for the millennials, absent the journalistic standards that made Sullivan readable.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
e: nope

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

STAC Goat posted:

Whenever I read Milo my brain just automatically fills in "Minderbinder" as his last name.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

DrPlump posted:

Do the polls even matter at this point. It is one thing to spend money when the other person is doing the same. She is flooding airwaves with ads that people will forget in days months before the election just to make some meaningless mid-summer nights polls move to feel better about herself. I don't think flooding the airwaves with trump memes is going to go the way she plans. At some point people will tire of Trump and Hillary will be the one that keeps forcing him upon us.

so you think Hillary airing constant attack ads will hurt? I don't think past campaigns bear this out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bunleigh posted:

Whenever I read Milo my brain just automatically fills in "Minderbinder" as his last name.

Milo Bonerhitler

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Defiance posted:

Milo is just a reheated Andrew Sullivan for the millennials, absent the journalistic standards that made Sullivan readable.

Andrew Sullivan never did this:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Milo Yamahippolips

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Montasque posted:

I'm the guy who is carrying gay gordon gecko's palanquin and thinks "I want to live in the future this guy imagines for me"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Montasque posted:

no no yes no no no no no

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

well- he started off as a curiosity/nobody that only a place like sa would care to mock but he managed to leverage gamergate to elevate himself and has since been landing all the 'correct' shots that allowed him to tap into athenew totally new vein of right-wing media now known as the 'alt-right'

any time i've seen him pop up outside of sa it's given me this deeply uncomfortable feeling knowing that i've been watching this monster for a while now. seeing him pop up on my facebook feed made my skin crawl

edit: looking up his history and of course he was a college dropout. just like the rest of the noise machine he couldn't hack it making an honest living so he decided to take the easy road

Serious question, where does he 'pop up outside of sa', just Brietbart? I have literally never heard of him other than my brother complaining about Gamergate and here, and I basically mute my brother when it comes to Gamergate.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Al! posted:

I'm the guy who is carrying gay gordon gecko's palanquin and thinks "I want to live in the future this guy imagines for me"

i'm the irony lost on group of men wearing 'make america great again' hats carrying a british 'intellectual' via palanquin

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Necc0 posted:

so i'm guessing you're not aware that a bunch of obama's initial cabinet / staffers / get-poo poo-doners were clinton loyalists?

Off the top of my head I couldn't name them, or credit them for victories. I know there was a good deal of intermingling though. So you might have a point and she does have a better record than I was putting forth.

But anything she would do is certainly more reassuring than having Trump in charge of appointments. Even judged from the worst angle, no one credible is going go accuse her of being mentally ill and unfit to perform the duties of her office. I'd argue Trump is already there.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

This is how Donald Trump comes to the stage at the RNC.

Actually that's a funny picture and is the only thing I've seen Milo do that doesn't just yell "stupid rear end in a top hat" to me.

e: like I think we can all agree that trumpist slavery is cool and good.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Serious question, where does he 'pop up outside of sa', just Brietbart? I have literally never heard of him other than my brother complaining about Gamergate and here, and I basically mute my brother when it comes to Gamergate.

Where I just realized I'd heard of this guy before http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/magazine/milo-yiannopoulos-doesnt-have-feelings.html

He seems awful. Best answer
Are you sexually attracted to Donald Trump? Oh, yes. I call myself a Trump-sexual. I have a very antiwhite bedroom policy, but Trump is kind of like the exception to that rule.

Water Resistant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 17, 2016

• Locked thread