Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mega Comrade posted:

So steam says the free weekend is live but I'm only given the option to buy it.

While I'm here though, what is the overall goon opinion on this game? I see a lot of moaning (but what goon game thread doesn't have that)

It's a potentially good game buried under increasingly awful design decisions. If you want a good barometer on how bad they hosed the dog, check the Steam reviews; specifically, compare the long-term reviews with the recent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

So steam says the free weekend is live but I'm only given the option to buy it.

While I'm here though, what is the overall goon opinion on this game? I see a lot of moaning (but what goon game thread doesn't have that)

It's fun if you want to try it out for the free weekend, but I wouldn't say it's worth your money right now until they unfuck several things and actually get out of EA.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Cool I'll wait then, cheers for being honest. I'll look in on the game again in 6 months.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a fun game with problems that do need to be talked about, but some people not even necessarily here take a bit too much towards pissing at the people trying to make it in assy ways.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 16, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mega Comrade posted:

Cool I'll wait then, cheers for being honest. I'll look in on the game again in 6 months.

Just FYI, a lot of free weekend games just get automatically put into your library, it will not show up on the store page.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Something Awful is good. Resistances are bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I re-installed, so... My advice if you still have any use for this game is to only play it on Hard. The game is just completely hosed up and unfun on Suicidal. Hard is mostly fine and now plays more like Suicidal did, but you feel the pain from bad design decisions at times there, too.

I am playing Berserker as ranged right now and it seems OK for that. Don't set the nail gun to single fire though, lol. The berserker is now ludicrously horrible at melee, you are better off using your pistol than the crovel. But its two trees seem designed to make ranged an option? Need to do more study/get more levels.

The firebug's flamethrower weapons are beyond useless, and the microwave gun should not be used for anything but big zeds. So essentially the strategy is just to main the firebug shotty until you can afford microwave. It's pretty sad, I enjoyed the t3 flamethrower in the past despite its drawbacks but now it's garbage against everything. The firebug is now occupying the "worst class" slot as far as I'm concerned.

Sharpshooter is trash right now at everything but cheesing big zeds, it feels completely outclassed by gunslinger.

Demo is actually fine right now after they quietly let you take both the grenade launcher and rocket launcher after more than doubling the ammo for each. This makes the class roughly 400% better and it is still (rightfully, in my opinion) bad at soloing. So just imagine how poo poo it was before that.

For reference I have firebug, gunslinger, support, and demo at 25, and commando at 22 IIRC. I have basically not leveled berserker and medic at all for various reasons.

All this being said, discussion in the thread turned me back to Payday 2. I still hate how proud Payday 2 is of being un-intuitive as gently caress, but right now it's basically Copping Floor (and some other stealth nonsense if you care about that, which I don't). The sheer amount of work they've put into it (it's roughly 10 times deeper than either KF game) is also impressive.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 16, 2016

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

ZearothK posted:

Questioner did reply there, and I can perfectly understand why he wouldn't want to come back to this thread in the foreseeable future.

If he wants to turn a blind eye to criticism because some passionate former players lace it with vitriol, so be it. You can't really turn a blind eye to the review scores tanking on a daily basis though. Maybe in a few years they'll be done scrubbing all the lovely things they patched into the game.

Or they won't have the income to continue development. Whatever happens first. I just wish there was a way to play older versions, because you could still have some fun with specific versions of the game.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

OneDeadlyBum posted:

I just wish there was a way to play older versions, because you could still have some fun with specific versions of the game.

This would have been easily possible if the beta had lasted for more than a loving weekend. I was on the brink of trying to convince the people I play with to get out of the beta and go back to the live version but then oops!

Then again that would've meant returning to an abysmal Hans fight so it would've been a hard sell.

A really loving easy patch is to just set all resistance values to "1" for Clots, Gorefasts, Stalkers, and Crawlers. If Tripwire is so married to this dumb idea at least try and make the game fun while they spend months deciding the ideal values of 15 different types of things that shoot bullets for 15 different fleshy targets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I hope that I one day have the mental fortitude of a video game community manager.

The patch has been out for just a few days. I am sure they will tune it back down to what people want. And then people will complain that it is too easy on the harder difficulties, 2/10 metacritic

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

OneDeadlyBum posted:

If he wants to turn a blind eye to criticism because some passionate former players lace it with vitriol, so be it. You can't really turn a blind eye to the review scores tanking on a daily basis though. Maybe in a few years they'll be done scrubbing all the lovely things they patched into the game.

In his defence it is literally not his job, he only posts in here because he was already a goon and thought itd be nice/fun, if he was a community manager then noping out would be an issue. And I just realized the fact that TWI doesnt have a community manager shouldve been a huge red flag on how much they will actually take and value community feedback. :smith:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Technically they do have a community manager, but only one.

E. Off their staff page

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought Yoshiro was their community manager.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh hey, now people learn why devs/QAs rarely post or argue damage control with angry players - they're only human and usually not trained for it, probably don't have as much influence as everyone assumes they do and don't run poo poo past an editor to check if vague things can be read multiple ways (and you can be drat sure raging gamers will always take it the worst way). Not that clamming up looks much better, really. That's a PR job you only notice when nobody is doing it right.

Shame though - seems unlikely an escalation of hostility will make TWI suddenly see the light and convince them of whatever valid point one might have. And chances of that felt already pretty slim.

Mega Comrade posted:

I personally can't recommend a full price purchase in its current state or (lack of?) direction until some big change brings me back, but if you ever see it for 70-80% off you'll very likely get your moneys worth even if you fall of pretty quickly.

Who knows, maybe a free weekend will just show you that the current design totally works for you as a newcomer and the stuff everybody else hates doesn't bother you. Sounds like TWI is kinda banking on that.

e:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Off their staff page
Suddenly everything makes total sense

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 16, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Free is free, all it costs is bandwidth and time.

I was hoping to give the game another shot this weekend, hopefully the people I play with aren't completely toxic.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

This happens in every SA thread where a goon dev posts. Everyone's chummy and absolute best friends with the best, most community engaged game developers ever in a honeymoon period that lasts maybe a year. Then inevitably comes a whiff of negative sentiment about the game. The goon dev plays it cool at first, for a couple of posts. Then inevitably they throw gas on the fire by getting really snippy and passive aggressive about it, goons call them on their poo poo, and then the goon dev ragequits and is never heard from again. See: starbound thread.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bilal posted:

This happens in every SA thread where a goon dev posts. Everyone's chummy and absolute best friends with the best, most community engaged game developers ever in a honeymoon period that lasts maybe a year. Then inevitably comes a whiff of negative sentiment about the game. The goon dev plays it cool at first, for a couple of posts. Then inevitably they throw gas on the fire by getting really snippy and passive aggressive about it, goons call them on their poo poo, and then the goon dev ragequits and is never heard from again. See: starbound thread.

Counterpoint : Enemy Starfighter thread.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Questioner you don't deserve to put up with even half the poo poo you deal with from TWI and the internet. Most of us are just mad at video games, not you :smith:

Unless the resistances thing was secretly his idea, then I could see him taking all the "This is loving stupid, what the gently caress" ire directed at it personally :tinfoil:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bilal posted:

To be fair, it takes a saint's patience to deal with entitled gamers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ZearothK posted:

While true, it's not particularly relevant to what actually happened in this thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Or what happened in the Starbound thread.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
You idiots think you're entitled to a head-popping simulator. How pedestrian. :jerkbag:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You idiots think you're entitled to a head-popping simulator. How pedestrian. :jerkbag:

Well of course, it has to be 120% one way or the other. How can there possibly be any good to the game unless literally every single person complaining about anything at all are just mindless shitlords unwilling to try new things :pseudo:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
We got a dev response on the TWI forums!

So we have like a month of this shitshow to go through :v: Although I suspect something might just be busted by the system, maybe each time a player joins the server, the resistances get multiplied? Cause I just played a Sui game where I was a lone Medic for the first two waves, and on wave 3, another player joined. Well poo poo, then things went to hell and every thing like TRIPLED in health. We wiped in seconds because we couldn't kill 2 Gorefasts before having to reload.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Bilal posted:

I hope that hasn't happened in the Clockwork Empires thread yet, those guys are so nice. :ohdear:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Kikas posted:

So we have like a month of this shitshow to go through :v: Although I suspect something might just be busted by the system, maybe each time a player joins the server, the resistances get multiplied? Cause I just played a Sui game where I was a lone Medic for the first two waves, and on wave 3, another player joined. Well poo poo, then things went to hell and every thing like TRIPLED in health. We wiped in seconds because we couldn't kill 2 Gorefasts before having to reload.

lol yeah wouldn't want to be rash and do something like push a beta no one likes after only a couple days

E: and then send most of your staff to a convention so that changes can't be implemented in a timely fashion

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Geight posted:

I hope that hasn't happened in the Clockwork Empires thread yet, those guys are so nice. :ohdear:

the clockwork empires devs are really, really responsive to feedback that makes sense and very clear when they think feedback is spurrious and will express why

ex: there is one guy who will never stop asking for silly hats in the game and they keep telling him "i mean sure if we can figure out a good use for them" and then they ignore him a lot

and then when everyone told them that farming was way too weak and it was boring they were like "really? man, seemed good to us. ok whatever new beta has increased yields see how that feels." and everyone was like "man that's way better" and they went "ok cool we'll roll with that for now then"

farming yields later got adjusted and adjusted again as other systems went live but they've been really good about taking cues on how many people farming needs to feed to feel 'right', etc

contrast to this stuff, where they're like 'we don't want to do anything rash *CHANGES ENTIRE GAME*', get feedback new game situation sucks 'meh we'll do something eventually maybe'

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
This is reminding me more and more of the Red Orchestra 2 Beta/Launch garbage. The fact that this patch got rammed in right before E3 with the, "Oh we'll fix it when everyone's back" doesn't really instill confidence. At least we don't have people getting into pissing matches about gun blueing and whether or not the Railgun actually existed on the front and why it's totally okay to make them easily available yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, whether you like the resists or not, the idea of "we worked hard on it so we don't want to make rash decisions" against "you had 2 business days to look at it" is just wrong. They made one rash call and are doubling down on it.

because here's a thing you can do:

1) take out resists now
2) lay out a plan to reintroduce them if it becomes reasonable to do so for balance in the future
3) communicate #1 and #2 to the playerbase

I mean yeah, E3, they wanted an update for E3, that's fine whatever but all they had to do was introduce Sharp :rip:

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 17, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kikas posted:

How much work goes into implementing numbers instead of actual content?
Because ripping out the system entirely is better than leaving it in and "tweaking" more numbers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol yeah wouldn't want to be rash and do something like push a beta no one likes after only a couple days

E: and then send most of your staff to a convention so that changes can't be implemented in a timely fashion

E3 is pretty much the only yearly industry event outside of maybe Blizzcon that gets any mass market penetration, even if it's a shadow of its former self from what I recall. Even now I have Facebook friends who decide it's time to post every game trailer on earth because E3 happened.

Also about the only metric that it even matters anymore is Recent Steam Reviews (which happened because All Reviews is a hugbox), I seriously doubt anyone who's not a scrub even looks at Metacritic in TYOOL 2016. Actually reading a review is pretty 2005, tbh.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

E3 is pretty much the only yearly industry event outside of maybe Blizzcon that gets any mass market penetration, even if it's a shadow of its former self from what I recall. Even now I have Facebook friends who decide it's time to post every game trailer on earth because E3 happened.

It's almost like Tripwire should've timed the release of their update better, to, you know, provide a lengthier beta or something.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

While true, it's not particularly relevant to what actually happened in this thread.
Yeah turns out being a dev doesn't entitle you an exception from talk poo poo get hit rules when you passive aggressively insult people who say the resist system is terrible

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZearothK posted:

I agree with you to a point, nobody has to tolerate the sort of bullshit you see people spew at developers, I do believe that as a paying customer you are entitled to something, within reason of course.

Ultimately the entire point of EA is player feedback which has been a rather big issue as KF2 has moved forward, yes you're going to get a LOT of idiots but you'll even even more people being sensible and generally giving advice on what to change, buff, alter etc.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also about the only metric that it even matters anymore is Recent Steam Reviews (which happened because All Reviews is a hugbox), I seriously doubt anyone who's not a scrub even looks at Metacritic in TYOOL 2016. Actually reading a review is pretty 2005, tbh.

Which are still currently "Mixed" with 41%. I do believe that when they hit 39% it's going to "negative".
What baffles me is that with the free weekend, there's an influx of one word (or even full of random keyboard mashing) positive reviews from people with 0.4 hrous played. Why? Does the game force you to give it a positive review in order to unlock multiplayer or something?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kikas posted:

Which are still currently "Mixed" with 41%. I do believe that when they hit 39% it's going to "negative".
What baffles me is that with the free weekend, there's an influx of one word (or even full of random keyboard mashing) positive reviews from people with 0.4 hrous played. Why? Does the game force you to give it a positive review in order to unlock multiplayer or something?

A guy on 4chan says there's a pop-up that encourages you to leave a positive review in the free weekend version of the game. I figured it was just 4chan bullshit at first, but the influx of positive reviews with gibberish in them does make me wonder if something like that is going on. Anyone have a burner account that's never bought nor played KF2 on a free weekend before to see what happens when you're playing the free weekend version? It's too weird and coincidental for my tastes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of negative reviews are also reporting that they're being banned including perfectly constructive reviews.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

closeted republican posted:

A guy on 4chan says there's a pop-up that encourages you to leave a positive review in the free weekend version of the game.

Color me skeptical, but lol if true.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Color me skeptical, but lol if true.

Like I said, I don't really believe it, but the flood of positive garbage reviews does make me wonder a little...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am now fairly certain that the berserker's knife (lawnmower blade) is better than the crovel. What the gently caress?