Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Knorth posted:

it's flawed but I like the villages and running around the mountain, feeding all the animals :3: I told myself I'd move on once I get the hot spring built though

Klaus seems ...not great :( /probably/ going to end up romancing the botanist from tott in seasons too but being able to crossdress my farmer has me thinking about changing things up a bit :)

as cute as Cam was in tott, I kinda wish Kana was in SoS instead, he was sweetest dork

lol i have no idea who kana is, is he from ToTT? one of the reasons i didn't like it so much is the portrait art is so meh and made everyone look super bland. it's really great in SoS, which goes a long way to making the game more enjoyable for moi

e. i'm like 80% convinced that klaus and lily (both actually-an-adult marriage options) are made intentionally creepy to warn children away from unhealthy relationships w older ppl

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

lol i have no idea who kana is, is he from ToTT? one of the reasons i didn't like it so much is the portrait art is so meh and made everyone look super bland. it's really great in SoS, which goes a long way to making the game more enjoyable for moi

e. i'm like 80% convinced that klaus and lily (both actually-an-adult marriage options) are made intentionally creepy to warn children away from unhealthy relationships w older ppl

yeah he raises horses and sells pets in tott. he loves animals and can be a bit of a goof sometimes :3:

personally, I like the art in tott but one of it's problems is that it feels pretty limited. there just isn't much in the way of expression or variety on that side of the game

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From Natsume's community manager: "I'll have longer answers next week, but the picking animation *is* faster than TLV and the team is working on optimizing it further. There will also be the option to multi-pick, by default, no tool needed, up to 3x3."

That's good to hear. Honestly what killed that game for me is the whole picking/watering/planting/etc. all of the fields one by one. Automation and increasing the amount of stuff you can do in a day is a big part of Harvest Moon. Picking was the worst though, since if I remember correctly, it paused the game for the animation, and the animation took an eternity (something like 2 seconds per plant).

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

This guy has my favorite art of the bachelors

Too bad he's in a bad game...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sooner or later

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16/11954660/story-of-seasons-same-sex-marriage-harvest-moon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this is a cool article

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

But, according to him, it will take more work than just allowing players to date any eligible bachelor they want, regardless of gender. In order to make same-sex marriage possible, he told us, the game will have to include separate, specifically gay characters to date.

"If we have to allow same-sex [relationships], we have to put more characters who are the same gender," he said. "As a game, it's going to be so much more volume, two or three times more. It's going to be a little difficult."

lol

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

anyway didnt harvest moon already do this with HM Cute, or at least the jap version? why are they making such a big deal out of it now, quit being such a drama queen hashimoto

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that whole part of ds cute getting removed by natsume was a loving garbage move imo

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Colonel posted:

that whole part of ds cute getting removed by natsume was a loving garbage move imo

i tried to mod it back in for my copy but then i had to learn how to mod and it seemed like a fuckton of work just to lesmarry a mermaid so i didnt. was disappointed tho :( Cute would absolutely be my favourite HM otherwise, i love everything else about it

it was p funny tho how they removed the lesbian marriage and replaced it with an extremely homosexual boy, for your girl to date.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Corridor posted:

anyway didnt harvest moon already do this with HM Cute, or at least the jap version? why are they making such a big deal out of it now, quit being such a drama queen hashimoto

No see that wasn't two women getting married, it was just a couple of gal pals having a friendship ceremony, moving in together and raising a baby together. As gal pals do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

No see that wasn't two women getting married, it was just a couple of gal pals having a friendship ceremony, moving in together and raising a baby together. As gal pals do.

you're not married, obviously you are just cousins

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

you're not married, obviously you are just cousins

The main character was actually Prince Uranus in their previous life and that's why their relationship is definitely Not Gay.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Corridor posted:

"If we have to allow same-sex [relationships], we have to put more characters who are the same gender," he said. "As a game, it's going to be so much more volume, two or three times more. It's going to be a little difficult."

loving ugh.

The fact that he thinks they NEED to add separate gay characters does not give one hope that they're not going to be horrifying stereotypes. :smith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's kind of a pessimistic way of looking at it. I dunno, I feel giving characters their own sexualities is far more compelling then just making everyone playersexual

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Having specifically gay characters would be kinda neat though it is kinda weird that apparently they can't make bi people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I figure it's probably lip service but I do take it as a positive that if they opened the door to gay characters they wouldn't halfass it. I feel like making characters wordlessly bisexual would be kinda lazy, honestly. One or two is fine, but having a unique set of options would be really cool too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon/story of seasons has been pretty chill in recent history afaik so i think it would be weird if they actually made those kinds of characters super heavy stereotypes

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Colonel posted:

harvest moon/story of seasons has been pretty chill in recent history afaik so i think it would be weird if they actually made those kinds of characters super heavy stereotypes

you've seen marian in story of seasons, right?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess would be that SOS has been running on the same engine throughout the 3DS era and changing the dialogue and making sure you didn't have a pregnant man took more time than they wanted to invest. If they're making a new engine for the next Nintendo portable they can start from scratch and put that functionality in.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
You should be able to marry anyone and everyone in these games, and every single one of them should wind up being a cautionary tale against getting involved in real life with anyone with that character's personal shortcoming(s) or ultimately lead to you getting shamed for your own proclivities.

More importantly, why the hell is it so rare for these games to let you delegate labor? You can potentially have animals or harvest sprites or whatever do your watering and occasionally your planting, but it's so rare to have them do harvesting, and it's usually through a really lousy UI. I feel like it'd be a welcome addition to let you set a schedule on a calendar, marking down what days your various lackeys do certain things and track what you want you yourself to do. Hell, include wages for various jobs and let that overhead keep money meaningful once you get past a certain point.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

The Colonel posted:

It really was. I never bought DS Cute because of it :/ I just wanted to hang out with the mermaid and go on adventures, then raise the kid of a god.

I'm finding I enjoy TLV more than I thought I would. It's simple, though I kind of want to go back to SoS. But then I remember I was grinding to unlock the Tropical and Ice Vendors and eurgh. I also wish there was someone to help with the labor. So many fields. So many.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I remember when these games were about farming and hilarious bugs, not being concerned about the limited options of who I can run my bits against.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hasn't marriage been in harvest moon for forever

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cake Attack posted:

hasn't marriage been in harvest moon for forever

Yeah. The ones without marriage are the outliers, mostly cause of limitations as in the GB ones, or they were experimenting, which were the ps2 ones I think. Socializing with villagers is basically one of the big staples of the series.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Remember when getting married as a girl ended the game entirely?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just like in real life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Remember when getting married as a girl ended the game entirely?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Good times.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Remember when Nintendo Power said that going home after the music stops at 6pm would make your wife mad in the first game, and you for some reason thought this carried over to every game in the series so you always put off getting married so you could focus on doing chores and making mad cash and you found out like twenty years later it only applied to that first game and even then just, like, talking to your wife everyday would make up the deficit of coming home late.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TurnipFritter posted:

Remember when Nintendo Power said that going home after the music stops at 6pm would make your wife mad in the first game, and you for some reason thought this carried over to every game in the series so you always put off getting married so you could focus on doing chores and making mad cash and you found out like twenty years later it only applied to that first game and even then just, like, talking to your wife everyday would make up the deficit of coming home late.

No because I'm not a literal retard and realized that all games function different and merit their own set of experiments.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gibbo posted:

No because I'm not a literal retard and realized that all games function different and merit their own set of experiments.

Make sure not to cut yourself on that edge, there

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

How can you get this mad about a post in a thread about farming games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

How can you get this mad about a post in a thread about farming games

by being gibbo

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

If that's mad then I dunno what to say to you folks.

I was simply answering a stupid question.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

If that's mad then I dunno what to say to you folks.

I was simply answering a stupid question.

you're the most passive aggressive and generally angry person i have ever seen talk about games about growing turnips

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I already miss the other names like Good Friends of Three Towns or Tale of Three Villages. Oh well, a dull Trio of Towns is fine as long as its still fun/cute to farm.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quest Builders is the new best farming game in the world, believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quest Builders is the new best farming game in the world, believe it.

whoa, and it's for a system i actually own???

i was so happy to play as a lady... so happy... :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 18, 2016

• Locked thread