Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Die Hard 2 is fun and alright, and JJ Abrams has made good movies and bad movies.

More Donald Glover is always appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

More Donald Glover is always appreciated.

I mean yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Die Hard 2 takes John McClane, Dennis Franz, John Amos, and an intentionally crashed airliner full of civilians and somehow makes a boring movie where half the audience doesn't even know what the bad guys wanted. A mediocre, forgettable movie on its own but they had to call it a sequel to Die Hard back before anyone realized that was a bad thing. At least Deep Blue Sea had a solid Executive Decision maneuver to build itself around.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 11, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

deep blue sea absolves renny harlin of all his filmmaking sins, whatever they might be. abrams hasn't come close

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Homework Explainer posted:

deep blue sea absolves renny harlin of all his filmmaking sins, whatever they might be. abrams hasn't come close

Truth.

I mean, I really like Star Trek and Super 8, and MI-3 and Force Awakens are all right, but Renny Harlin made Deep Blue Sea, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Cliffhanger. Come on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I feel like we're down to two lines of thought on TFA:

1) "TFA is just fine, and that's fantastic"

2) "TFA is just fine, and that's discouraging"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Toilet Mouth posted:

I still think it's great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neurolimal posted:

I still think it's great.

The last great Star Wars movie was Empire Strikes Back. Every one after has varied from "Okay" to "Good".

The Force Awakens isn't considerably better than the prequels, the flaws are just in different aspects so people don't notice.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like Super 8 way more than Die Hard 2, but comparing them feels really weird.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MonsieurChoc posted:

The last great Star Wars movie was Empire Strikes Back. Every one after has varied from "Okay" to "Good".

The Force Awakens isn't considerably better than the prequels, the flaws are just in different aspects so people don't notice.
Star Trek was a pretty good Star Wars movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Star Trek was a pretty good Star Wars movie.

Still not great! Yes, I am being a pedant about this. :smug:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Now that I think about it, what is JJ's obsession with having his protagonists chased by terribly-designed CG monsters?

Like Kirk gets chased in Star Trek, Rey and Finn get chased in TFA, Super 8 has one that maybe at one point chases the kid who for some reason makes it a sad one and convinces it to leave.

Why is this a well he keeps going back to

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Cameo posted:

Now that I think about it, what is JJ's obsession with having his protagonists chased by terribly-designed CG monsters?

Like Kirk gets chased in Star Trek, Rey and Finn get chased in TFA, Super 8 has one that maybe at one point chases the kid who for some reason makes it a sad one and convinces it to leave.

Because after MI-3 he can't find anything that runs as well as Tom Cruise so he needs to resort to CGI.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Homework Explainer posted:

Deep Blue Sea is basically my datum line for movies. Every movie better than it is good and every movie better than it is bad. It is the middle. In one movie.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Cameo posted:

It's funny because the ice monster chase scene in Star Trek is basically just the "Always a bigger fish" scene from The Phantom Menace except set on Hoth.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I have a random question, maybe someone here can help.

For some reason Dengar is having a comeback, and I was wondering if anyone knew why? He seems like a random throwaway background character but he's now been added to Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes and the Battlefront games, and he's also in a new lego set.

Is he gonna be in one of the new movies or something?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dengar was in TFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwJnVBHy9c

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

that mummy gently caress was in TFA?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Actual Dengar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HMUAlxkws

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Finally, that mummy gently caress is in a videogame.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No mummy loving way

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PBS Newshour posted:

No mummy loving way

YAWRE GUNNA TAKE A DIRT NAHP!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Dog posted:

TFA is a fantastic movie and up there with the Empire Strikes Back. The people who continually pretend otherwise just to be edgy have broken brains.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
TFA is a watchable movie but a terrible sequel.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I never imagined Dengar has having a dirt-British accent. I always imagined him sounding like Ray Romano. It made him a bit endearing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

TFA is a fantastic movie and up there with the Empire Strikes Back. The people who continually pretend otherwise just to be edgy have broken brains.

Seriously? You don't think there are a pretty wide range of legitimate opinions about TFA? You really think the overall consensus is that its about equal to Empire Strikes back, one of the most beloved sci fi films of all-time?

You really believe everyone who thinks TFA is a pretty good, but ultimately forgettable movie is just bullshitting because they're trying to be edgy?

That's a lot of question marks but your post is completely baffling to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously? You don't think there are a pretty wide range of legitimate opinions about TFA?

I didn't say that, I just think most of them are painfully wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So did you ever figure out what in TFA was new to Star Wars and cinema in general?

As it is, it's just a duller rehash of ANH.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So did you ever figure out what in TFA was new to Star Wars and cinema in general?

As it is, it's just a duller rehash of ANH.

Yeah, so as good as "Empire Strikes Back" is accurate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shanty posted:

Yeah, so as good as "Empire Strikes Back" is accurate.

ESB isn't a duller rehash of ANH.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Normal people - not something awful users - haven't even thought about TFA since approximately 2 weeks after it was released. I just had to do a google search to remember the characters' names and how their arcs left off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I didn't say that, I just think most of them are painfully wrong.

Well if that wasn't your intended meaning, your sentence was worded very poorly. You said "people who pretend otherwise just to be edgy".

So how can you tell if someone honestly thinks TFA was just ok, versus someone who's pretending just to be edgy?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
TFA is another JJ Abrams "product"; perfectly acceptable, professionally done, containing nothing new or original, quickly forgotten, and papering over story flaws and questions he can't be bothered to answer with breathless pace and his loving Mystery Box bullshit. That's my edgy and broken-brained opinion of TFA.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You just didn't pay attention the plot. The story is perfect. I mean i'm sorry Abrams didn't make a movie where you guys couldn't take more screen grabs where you could draw red lines on them, but that's not really a reason to dismiss the film. It's amazing 6 months later that people who hate this movie are still posting daily about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was pretty good and I look forward to Star War 8 through 100.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please do not troll Bravest Lamp who doesn't know what reboots are.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Payndz posted:

TFA is another JJ Abrams "product"; perfectly acceptable, professionally done, containing nothing new or original, quickly forgotten, and papering over story flaws and questions he can't be bothered to answer with breathless pace and his loving Mystery Box bullshit. That's my edgy and broken-brained opinion of TFA.

I still can't get over the fact that TFA features an actual, literal mystery box which, upon being opened by the protagonist, bombards the audience with a series of obscure images teasing plot developments in future installments.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

I still can't get over the fact that TFA features an actual, literal mystery box which, upon being opened by the protagonist, bombards the audience with a series of obscure images teasing plot developments in future installments.

Between that and BvS's "gently caress it, here's the justice league trailer" I hope we don't start to see a trend.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

You just didn't pay attention the plot. The story is perfect. I mean i'm sorry Abrams didn't make a movie where you guys couldn't take more screen grabs where you could draw red lines on them, but that's not really a reason to dismiss the film. It's amazing 6 months later that people who hate this movie are still posting daily about it.

This thread's been pretty dead for a while. The only time it gets going again is when people start talking about the prequels and the originals again. There has been very little substantive discussion of TFA since its release, because there's just not that much to discuss. It's a very shallow, surface level movie which doesn't do anything terribly unique or interesting cinematically. This does not mean it's a bad movie. It's just not what some of us were looking for in a Star Wars movie.

All the criticisms of TFA here have been pretty tempered and mild, all things considered (especially in comparison to what certain other films have endured over the years). As far as I can tell, no one's even gone so far as to call it straight-up bad. TFA was a box office smash and got almost universally positive reviews from critics and audiences. There's really no reason to be so defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
The unspoken truth about TFA is that for some people, it needs to be more than just a good movie - it needs to be a universe they can obsess over for the next twenty years of their broken manchild lives.

• Locked thread