Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

the sfv hype was real despite people on SA seeing the beta flaws. the world at large was ready to love the game until it launched with no arcade mode

I couldn't really tell you what "drained" the hype from SFV post-release when it comes to people that aren't jaded assholes that haven't loved a game since Hyper Fighting, but I do feel like our local scene hasn't really been too much into it, and I don't think it's just a "it's not SF4" thing. I barely see matchup discussions in our local Facebook group, I see a lot of bitching about ragequitters and that's about it. Someone will share a new character video now and then, but even in the twilight days of Ultra I saw people asking questions about the game or how to punish X or Y move. In our case it might be a poverty thing too, I have a decent enough PC but I know a lot of people are still stuck with their PS3s or 360s;

there's also a dude that constantly pushes kof XIV being the sf5 killer and capcom announcing new poo poo because they're afraid of snk but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

NecroMonster posted:

lots of people still think the only reason sfv is bad is a lack of content, like, "the gameplay is fine" is a thing people are still saying.

that is why it performed badly sales wise though.

A dude picking up the latest sf to pwn his bros at his house will put up with anything. But when he struggles to even unlock character colors, he might not be that into it.

And for everyone besides him, the game is stupidly simplistic.

Anecdotal but I couldn't link for my life and couldn't handle most trials in sf4 out of frustration.

I did every single one in sf5. For every single character. It didn't even have a trophy.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 17, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Baal posted:

Didn't Tekken 5 come out during the drought and basically reinvigorate the Tekken name after 4 hosed with it or did I imagine that?

It was pretty successful but that was more attributed to being widely available in arcades with nothing else new at the time (circa 2005, arcades where still somewhat alive, even in places like Puerto Rico), on top of having national tournaments on release which piqued a lot of player's interests. Stuff like the card system with rankings and character customization were also a pretty novel idea at the time for a arcade fighting game; people kept dumping coins/tokens on it. It was cool to travel all over, put your card in a Tekken machine and have your ghost perma-saved into the cab so you can flaunt your rank in the leaderboards or have people fight your ghost (and lose) in the arcade. Hell, I think your ghost even gained money for you if it managed to beat people in arcade mode.

Tekken 5.0 was a cool despite being a terribly unbalanced mess. Later on they updated it all the way to Tekken 5 DR which is easily one of the best Tekken games period.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

apple posted:

Tekken 5.0 was a cool despite being a terribly unbalanced mess. Later on they updated it all the way to Tekken 5 DR which is easily one of the best Tekken games period.

With how much people cum over tekken tag stuff im surprised.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I always felt that Tekken 5 was the last major fighting game arcade release. It was the last time I saw arcades actually give a poo poo of having the latest up to date fighting game. It is also the only fighting game I see today in any arcade I go to. Maybe that's just a phenomenon for my metro area though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SectumSempra posted:

As far as I'm aware T3, TTT1 and T5DR are the Tekken games in terms of popularity/acclaim. Brosnan can probably say I'm wrong and dumb with more knowledge tho.

I can say that even the lovely arcades I went to had those cabs while anything past CPS-2 was impossible to find anywhere.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

SectumSempra posted:

Tekken community has a pretty toxic subset of players who jizz about older games but 95% of it is just their fragile egos who can't stand to re-learn Tekken and maybe 5% legitimate complaints. It's admittedly daunting to learn Tekken over and over again with new iterations, but that's part of the fun :shrug: In the end the Tekken community just plays the latest version available.

edit: correction, I'm talking more about the people that poo poo on newer Tekken games, it's okay to like older games :shobon:

apple fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 17, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Tangent - how is USF4 on PS4? I didn't even realize it was available, are there any glaring flaws with it compared to the PS3/Xbox360 versions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

Tangent - how is USF4 on PS4? I didn't even realize it was available, are there any glaring flaws with it compared to the PS3/Xbox360 versions?

it launched with as much lag as sfv and people went apeshit and tournaments scrambled to get back to 360 and then they patched the lag out and now its good.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Medullah posted:

It shipped out a loving mess, beyond just lag, some very unique glitches but capcom surprisingly managed to get it in check. They outsourced the port. but then had to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBAMk8STbyY special shout out to dudley getting the car noise from the stage at 45 seconds. Also juri invisible fireball is the best buff.

the glitches were so bad i really recommend you check out the 2 minute video to see them.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 17, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dias posted:

I couldn't really tell you what "drained" the hype from SFV post-release when it comes to people that aren't jaded assholes that haven't loved a game since Hyper Fighting, but I do feel like our local scene hasn't really been too much into it, and I don't think it's just a "it's not SF4" thing. I barely see matchup discussions in our local Facebook group, I see a lot of bitching about ragequitters and that's about it. Someone will share a new character video now and then, but even in the twilight days of Ultra I saw people asking questions about the game or how to punish X or Y move. In our case it might be a poverty thing too, I have a decent enough PC but I know a lot of people are still stuck with their PS3s or 360s;

there's also a dude that constantly pushes kof XIV being the sf5 killer and capcom announcing new poo poo because they're afraid of snk but

that denial!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sf4:
was 3d for the first time (and executed somewhat competently)
had enough single player content
was released after like 7 years of no street fighter at all
the last street fighter was 3rd strike, a game that wasnt super popular with the casual audience
had like, all of the most popular chars on release
was released when most casualish fighting games were not very popular

sf5:
had rmika and birdie instead of like guile and akuma and poo poo
looks nicer than sf4, but the jump from st (the last game most ppl played) to sf4 was huge, sf4 to sf5 was a generational graphics upgrade.
sf4 had an update released like a year before
did not have nearly as much hype (due to sf4 versions being released pretty recently). a huge amount of ppl in the media who basically quit sf since sf2 were hyping the poo poo out of sf4 for the same reason casual lords liked it.
this is like the first time they played the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_q1o8g19A8
the second time they played the game? chun li did marvel level fireballs
people got to play the beta, and betas dont help sell games that are mediocre. like, people could go over to their friends house, or refund an amazon sale. anyone who didnt like the game that much quit during the beta.
sf4's featureset while barebones wasnt egregiously bad at the time, pretty much every fg release between sf4 and sf5 raised the bar significantly and sf5 had a worse initial release.
no xbox version (probably not that big of a deal)
can pirate the game much more easily than at initial sf4 release.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

anime was right posted:

super valid points

entirely agreed, i just think you guys are underestimating how important it was to have easier internet connectivity then the ps2 era for a popular fighting franchise during a fighting game drought.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
like other than the input delay i actually like sf5 more than sf4 too lol. one last thing is lets be real most of the sf2 fans finally had jobs the first time sf4 came out as well, but like 10 years later they turned into olds with kids.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anime was right posted:

sf4:
was 3d for the first time (and executed somewhat competently)
had enough single player content
was released after like 7 years of no street fighter at all
the last street fighter was 3rd strike, a game that wasnt super popular with the casual audience
had like, all of the most popular chars on release
was released when most casualish fighting games were not very popular

sf5:
had rmika and birdie instead of like guile and akuma and poo poo
looks nicer than sf4, but the jump from st (the last game most ppl played) to sf4 was huge, sf4 to sf5 was a generational graphics upgrade.
sf4 had an update released like a year before
did not have nearly as much hype (due to sf4 versions being released pretty recently). a huge amount of ppl in the media who basically quit sf since sf2 were hyping the poo poo out of sf4 for the same reason casual lords liked it.
this is like the first time they played the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_q1o8g19A8
the second time they played the game? chun li did marvel level fireballs
people got to play the beta, and betas dont help sell games that are mediocre. like, people could go over to their friends house, or refund an amazon sale. anyone who didnt like the game that much quit during the beta.
sf4's featureset while barebones wasnt egregiously bad at the time, pretty much every fg release between sf4 and sf5 raised the bar significantly and sf5 had a worse initial release.
no xbox version (probably not that big of a deal)
can pirate the game much more easily than at initial sf4 release.

dat loving pasta bowl sold the game to me and they didn't put it in

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

It's in the game, just not easy to get.

isn't it?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

you can get the pasta bowl you will just never see it in a real match because like one person has to super the left wall then the other person has to super THEM into the left wall lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

isn't it?

it stays on your head in the next round?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

it stays on your head in the next round?

for about 5 whole seconds yes.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

they promised every stage would have those.

but yeah i actually like 4 more in most places. 5 hit some right notes, mainly shorter combos, but in exchange just added other poo poo I dislike.

and 4 had more characters I liked.

If we're only comparing between sf4 and 5 is close but 4 edges it out. ( I did play viper for most of the time I played so... might be biased)

if its between this, guilty, soul calibur 4n5, kof13 (netcode aside) they both lose hands down.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anime was right posted:

for about 5 whole seconds yes.

motherfuck i didn't want to have to turn the game on until story mode... i still wont.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

isn't it?

Supposedly but more importantly they didn't finish it for the other stages. you can literally see spaces in most stages for the interactions they didn't add.

(bathroom in london, cave in waterfall, the party room kanzuki estate, there might even be a little alvcove on the brazil stage)

whats even more interesting is that all the stages developed after those to our knowledge don't seem to have those, the air field, shadoloo kings stages or whatever, russian bear, new york.

But yeah I'm mostly disappointed because of how easy it was to not make this game flop even after the betas. most important steps were good netcode and actual content on release.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they couldn't even break a crate for guile.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
well, at least we're getting most of that crap next month, I guess.

edit: vvvv That was the SF3 low forward, first.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I still wonder why they changed ryu's low forward from the evil ryu version (in the video posted above) to the one we have now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SectumSempra posted:

(bathroom in london,

this makes so much sense for why that was the birdie stage......

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game constantly breaks enrollment numbers where ever it goes. 4,000+ at EVO and 640 at Combo Breaker is nothing to sneeze at.

Except it'll be down to maybe 10% of those numbers unless there are widespread changes made to the game. I also doubt that even half of that 4,000 will even come play the game, people who registered months ago before the shine wore off and other/better games came out.

EVO 2017 will have Melee as the main event after SFV gets dumped to a Saturday Top 8, maybe even a Friday if they get through pools quickly enough. EVO 2018 will correctly have Melee as the only game and SFV will be nowhere to be found.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

There's like nothing to discuss. The characters and systems don't have enough depth to warrant that's kind of exploration. It might have been different two or three beta phases ago before they neutered everyone's tools.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Except it'll be down to maybe 10% of those numbers unless there are widespread changes made to the game. I also doubt that even half of that 4,000 will even come play the game, people who registered months ago before the shine wore off and other/better games came out.

EVO 2017 will have Melee as the main event after SFV gets dumped to a Saturday Top 8, maybe even a Friday if they get through pools quickly enough. EVO 2018 will correctly have Melee as the only game and SFV will be nowhere to be found.

Guilty gear and kof will both have 2000 entrants next year and smash will be a side tournament

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I guess Skullgirls will then take Street Fighter's throne as the most played and well received fighting game in the FGC, as it deserves to be.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

I still wonder why they changed ryu's low forward from the evil ryu version (in the video posted above) to the one we have now.

people went 'holy poo poo why is ryus low forward so lovely and short why is it that' and then they changed the animation but not the hitbox

little did people know what lie in store

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
SF5 is much less laborious to play than SF4 but it's so boring

So so boring

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

apple posted:

It was pretty successful but that was more attributed to being widely available in arcades with nothing else new at the time (circa 2005, arcades where still somewhat alive, even in places like Puerto Rico), on top of having national tournaments on release which piqued a lot of player's interests. Stuff like the card system with rankings and character customization were also a pretty novel idea at the time for a arcade fighting game; people kept dumping coins/tokens on it. It was cool to travel all over, put your card in a Tekken machine and have your ghost perma-saved into the cab so you can flaunt your rank in the leaderboards or have people fight your ghost (and lose) in the arcade. Hell, I think your ghost even gained money for you if it managed to beat people in arcade mode.

tekken 5 arcade machine also had that ps1 pad port

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-capcom-plans-to-fix-street-fighter-5/1100-6440989/

lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The other concern was the AI. Arcade mode was criticised for having braindead AI that didn't really fight back and it felt the same for Story mode. Do enemy fighters become more difficult as the mode progresses?

PR: It does get a little harder, but in addition to that, if you want more of a challenge you can replay it in a hard mode once it's unlocked.

:psyduck:

lmao. play a 4 hour movie on braindead ai to unlock playing it again

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

thats the hardest interview ive read on gamestop

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

here's our plan to fix street fighter 5:
keep doing the same thing

-
capcom

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This won't end well.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

hey weve got this game(?) and were gonna do our best to market it to you as best as we can!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there are no plans to fix sfv, we don't know what capcom usa is talking about - capcom japan