Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

Blizzard has said interviews that they've experimented with stealth characters and they aren't particularly fun for anyone involved. Sneaking up behind people in Overwatch is achieved via teleportation abilities.

If you really want invisibility, how about a support character who can temporarily make allies invisible? That feels closer to the Overwatch ethos.

Chameleon Support Omnic who is invisible when against walls. Drops mini chameons (much like symmetra turrets) that instead of doing damage, heal for a small portion. His/Her/It's M1 could be a small range poison dart gun that while not doing a lot of damage initially, applies a small stacking poison. Each additional time a target is hit, the poison damage increases in duration, but does not increase in damage.

Ultimate Ability could be a smoke screen. Plume of green smoke fills the target area, disrupting the sight of all enemy targets. However, enemies that enter the smoke screen can be seen by the chameleon/all allies.

Edit: Or instead of automatically seeing all enemies in the smoke screen, the chameleon's DOT M1 attack that applies poison reveals the target for the duration of the poison. Think Widow's Vision or Hanzo's Sonic Arrow, but applied on a much smaller scale. This way the ult and his primary fire would work in unison. Poison targets, apply smoke screen ult, allies can see the poisoned targets in the smoke screen.

Smoke Screen would be a direct counter to things that auto lock on, and provides line of sight while not blocking AOE.

Counters: Mcree and 76 Ults
Weak to: Anyone with aoe

Caeks fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Before I start making some irate phone calls later in the week, has anyone else been having crazy packet loss at intervals? Like, ping and RTT spiking to 400ms+ and all that entails?

Generally my wireless NIC and router are pretty solid but for having to power cycle the router occasionally, but there's been a trend in the 9pm-1am window where performance in Overwatch in particular shits itself and I'm wondering how much of it is Battle.net and how much of it is my ISP throttling game traffic during Peak Neighborhood Netflix Time. The battle.net forums are proving to be less than helpful, with people "solving" their RTT issues with GPU optimization which is not a thing that makes sense if I'm reading that right and also my 9700 should be able to play Overwatch at medium settings, I think.

So far I've narrowed down the options to

--play with port-forwarding
--upgrade to google fiber for like four dollars a month more than i'm paying now

But before I do either of that I just wanna double check that its not just battle.net sucking.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Broken Cog posted:

I feel this argument doesn't really hold water considering the amount of stuns, slows and insta-kill abilities in the game, most of which are definitely not particularly fun for anyone involved. How would stealth be any worse?

i hardly think the answer to "theres some annoying stuff in this game" is "so lets put in another"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

"Alright, so we'll give her the ability to one shot half the heroes in the game, no scope sway or disruption from taking damage, and a charge up time of about 1.5 seconds. Let's also give her a trap with alerts you even if it's destroyed, a hook on a low cooldown to help escape, and a high DPS automatic rifle for close range, and a wallhack with a difficult to hear activation sound just in case. Let's also make her model crazy small too. Sound good? Let's move on."

"So I was thinking that we should have a character with some stealth abili..."

"No, absolutely not. Are you stupid? That's pretty unfun to play against."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I would guess "invisibility is unfun" has more to do with not wanting players to be constantly firing in all directions at all times trying to uncover invisible enemies, especially in a game with unlimited ammo where that would actually be a good and viable strategy unlike TF2.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSpy6xeep8w

Sorry Reinhardt, Winston's ability to respond to the new proliferation of annoying gnat squishy targets means I'll be playing him a lot more than you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The previous post may or may not have been influenced by a group queue game that was totally 100% winnable except when I hit McRee's flashbang on the enemy Tracer the game would stop, then teleport me 10 feet back, then throw at nothing, then Tracer would be in my face and 100-0 me. Or taking cover behind a payload that stopped moving, then I appear in front of the payload and take damage from a Pharah rocket that didn't draw yet.

The enemy team was pretty good but coulda battled that, dammit, and technical poo poo kept me dead weight the whole time :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Willie Tomg posted:

The previous post may or may not have been influenced by a group queue game that was totally 100% winnable except when I hit McRee's flashbang on the enemy Tracer the game would stop, then teleport me 10 feet back, then throw at nothing, then Tracer would be in my face and 100-0 me. Or taking cover behind a payload that stopped moving, then I appear in front of the payload and take damage from a Pharah rocket that didn't draw yet.

The enemy team was pretty good but coulda battled that, dammit, and technical poo poo kept me dead weight the whole time :(

Wow, the McCree nerf is worse than I thought.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've flashbanged a few Genji's as they dash and they still get to finish their dash while stunned, which means it's impossible to kill them before they jump away. poo poo sucks.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I've flashbanged a few Genji's as they dash and they still get to finish their dash while stunned, which means it's impossible to kill them before they jump away. poo poo sucks.

yeah, it's nice to think you get a split second for your non-lethal m1 headshot, but you often don't even get that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Starting to find the best answer to solo queue (other than don't do it) is to pick someone selfish as gently caress as quickly as possible. Your team is going to have a raging nightmarish deficiency somewhere and you don't want to be stuck doing something irreplaceable because you're probably the only one smart enough to address it. You can't have your healer or whatever be the only one who knows Reaper counters tanks, corner peekers crush Bastion, hitscan batters Pharah etc.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Starting to find the best answer to solo queue (other than don't do it) is to pick someone selfish as gently caress as quickly as possible. Your team is going to have a raging nightmarish deficiency somewhere and you don't want to be stuck doing something irreplaceable because you're probably the only one smart enough to address it. You can't have your healer or whatever be the only one who knows Reaper counters tanks, corner peekers crush Bastion, hitscan batters Pharah etc.

This works well right up until you're forced to play the healer anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stealth in Overwatch would be really bad because the amount of spam means you would take tons of damage just trying to walk across the map. Flankers need some kind of mobility that lets them move through the kill lanes; Tracer can blink, Genji can climb, and Reaper can teleport. Turning invisible wouldn't be good for much when everyone keeps spamming the choke points because they have infinite ammo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The worst part about playing Zenyatta is that people think he is a replacement for a lucio/mercy

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Zorodius posted:

yeah, it's nice to think you get a split second for your non-lethal m1 headshot, but you often don't even get that.

"Lolaimbetter" -thread

McCree just needs to be scrapped and/or removed, he's either going to be garbage vs any other offensive pick, or he's going to dominate, and it's all down to his design.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone figure out how long a Leaver Penalty lasts, cause I've got one right now and it sucks hard(a 75% penalty is a bit too much in my opinion for such a thing)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Stealth characters are lovely, and I will die happy if they never add one.

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone figure out how long a Leaver Penalty lasts, cause I've got one right now and it sucks hard(a 75% penalty is a bit too much in my opinion for such a thing)

It's a set number of games, not a time period. However many you need to play to get your "actually played" games a certain amount higher than your "rage quit" games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Have you thought about not leaving games?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Don't you have to leave a ridiculous amount of games to get the penalty?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

Don't you have to leave a ridiculous amount of games to get the penalty?

It even warns you before the last 1-2 games that will mark you as a leaver so you know when you should stop and suck it up for a few games.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just did my first intentional dodge earlier today and let me tell you. Not medicking for 3 Genjis felt good. It was so much self-harm avoidance that it might as well have been a day at the spa.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Joining a game that's 30 seconds away from a loss is awful, ban all leavers into the sun IMO.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
McCree is fine now though? You can still wipe people if you get the drop on them. You just can't kill every character in the game now

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just did my first intentional dodge earlier today and let me tell you. Not medicking for 3 Genjis felt good. It was so much self-harm avoidance that it might as well have been a day at the spa.

I do this whenever I get some combination of tracer, genji, hanzo, and some other offense heroes. Those games are never worth playing out.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to believe the forced 50 nonsense but I've just been queueing solo for some practice and I'm getting wonderful matches such as

Queue into koth at 50% on enemy and down 0-1 in submaps, multiple times
Queue into a team that locks 5 non tank / non healer, leave during setup, wait 2 minutes, queue into that exact same game in the slot where I left, after having manually clicked avoid on every player in that game.0

Is it so much to ask to just play some solo games where I can get some practice on some heroes I don't usually play.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 17, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zoness posted:

Is it so much to ask to just play some solo games where I can get some practice on some heroes I don't usually play.

That's exactly what I do when I'm dropped in 80% through a losing game. If it's obviously going to be a loss I just play whoever regardless of team comp. Sometimes it even works out!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mr. Whale posted:

I do this whenever I get some combination of tracer, genji, hanzo, and some other offense heroes. Those games are never worth playing out.

I just did it again for a Genji, Widow, Hanzo windmill slam. No regrets.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Actual list of Legendary Skins that are “eh”:
[...]
Mercy: Imp Skin doesn’t have special voicelines compared the other three.

She has the "Heroes never die... at a price" line. It's not exclusive to the Devil skin.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Never stop dodging.

You can safely drop out during the hero select phase. I finally have a positive winrate on Mercy, and the only thing I do different is leave if they don't pick a tank in 30 seconds.

I don't play to win, but it's a helluva lot more fun healing teams that have the basic roles filled. It's the even matches that are the most exciting.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

redweird posted:

McCree is fine now though? You can still wipe people if you get the drop on them. You just can't kill every character in the game now

Which isn't a requirement for the 5 other offensive characters. Please stop playing McGarbage and go stomp face as Pharah, S:76 or Genji if you need to tickle that midrange itch.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Even still, Flashbang -> Fan the Hammer -> Roll -> Fan the Hammer can take out an unwary Winston or Reinhardt. It now just happens at a rate where you need some better reflexes when setting up and aiming to land enough shots to end them. Inversely with only one flashbang there's now the capacity to stop McCree if you leap away while he's firing wildly or just slam him into the wall.

e: First impression from the rebalance changes, there's a fuckton more Zenyattas floatin around now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bluhman posted:

First impression from the rebalance changes, there's a fuckton more Zenyattas floatin around now.

Which sucks because he still can't carry main heals.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

People not picking Lucio/Mercy when a Zenyatta is around isn't Zenyatta's fault.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
McCree is McFree now

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
McCree is still really good and both M1 and M2 are super amazing. Widow is also still really good but I can't get used to the no unscope between shots so I'm doing bad on her.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Bluhman posted:

Even still, Flashbang -> Fan the Hammer -> Roll -> Fan the Hammer can take out an unwary Winston or Reinhardt. It now just happens at a rate where you need some better reflexes when setting up and aiming to land enough shots to end them. Inversely with only one flashbang there's now the capacity to stop McCree if you leap away while he's firing wildly or just slam him into the wall.

e: First impression from the rebalance changes, there's a fuckton more Zenyattas floatin around now.

S:76 and Pharah can do this without anything fancy besides half decent aim. Look, I'm not saying McCree didn't need the nerf in the sense that he was the best tank melter, but his entire kit revolves around mastering a not very rewarding one trick pony that leaves him helpless once played, slow as poo poo, no escapes, and no real ability to support the team. McCree needs a rework, like he has always required.

There is never a time since patch when I go "hmm, yes what we need is a McCree".

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Have they ever experimented with allowing a double Harmony Orb?

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

it's noticeable now when you do not have a widowmaker on your team. She's quickly going from my least to most played just because someone needs to take out these bastions and hanzos and it sure as hell isn't going to be the genji on my team

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

might just start maining widow and winston.

Either we'll destroy the enemy team because widowmaker, or the enemy have a better widow maker who pisses me off and what better time to switch to the gorilla

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

Which isn't a requirement for the 5 other offensive characters. Please stop playing McGarbage and go stomp face as Pharah, S:76 or Genji if you need to tickle that midrange itch.

they didn't nerf mccree at midrange tho, he still has an incredibly powerful hitscan primary fire and he reloads it faster now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Andrast posted:

The worst part about playing Zenyatta is that people think he is a replacement for a lucio/mercy

this is the best part about playing zenyatta imo