Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

No one's asking for this clarification but I'll throw it out anyways; both citizen nuts and goons alike are misconstruing the terms "fair use" and whats also being discussed, which is "derivative work"

"Fair Use" is the ability to reproduce material for review purposes. Work can be editted, but not altered. Examples include news channels featuring sports reports, educators using corporote data, or movie reviewers showing clips from films. Essentially it requires some sort of reporting or analysis of the content itself, and there's little laws tossed in about how much content can be reproduced and so forth. The CIG stock photo fiasco simply doesnt fall under fair use since they altered the work and never presented it as a review of the original source.

"Derivative Work" is altering a pre-existing work to give it a new meaning. Satires and parodies fall under this very obscure blanket - essential satire and parodies are not presenting the object as it was intended to be presented, but instead turning it into a joke. For example, DuChamp's Mona Lisa paintings transformed a work of art into a joke, Bad Lip Readings using footage from sportscasts or news reports, and general joke photoshops like our own Photoshop Friday materials. Derivative work is not exclusive to satire, but when that line gets crossed it is a difficult debate to have. For example, Shepherd Fairley's Obama Change was based off a Associated Press photo of Obama. Fairley changed the colors, added the text "HOPE" and went on his way. Well, he got sued, and settled out of court. Note, a lot of these are settled out of court because losing in court usually forces you to transfer ALL profits gained from the derivative work to the original owners.

CIGs promotional material falls under derivative work, and fails to be derivative. Using a photo of a female model as a female model does not alter its original meaning. You could alter the meaning, for example, by taking the female model and making her the hands of a clock. A stupid example, but just to illustrate what is required. Changing the medium, colors, and orientation of the object ALWAYS loses in court and IS NOT derivative work.

Dont steal art ,yall

Posting from the past to say that this was a good post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that's pretty incredible.

My teacher and I were discussing this a couple days ago, and he was lamenting the ~fidelitious~ nature of PC gaming these days and how artists are now in more technical roles instead of creative. Rather than have concept artists draw up what a character might look like and go from there, for example, they do actual casting calls and just find someone who they think looks good. He/She gets scanned, digitized, and put in the game. Clothing gets designed from actual costume designers, and the materials gets scanned, bodies get scanned, everything is scanning and leaves little room for creativity from the artists themselves.

It's sort of a sad state of affairs when AAA gaming is focused on hyper realism, at least from artists point of view. Earliest instance I can think of was Half Life 2, they found people that they thought looked good and replicated them in 3d. Hell even Alyx's dad was some loving homeless guy!

I guess there's always stylised stuff for artists to get creative with, ah well.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

ManofManyAliases posted:

Correct.
This is fun! Do another.

edit: This type of questioning reminds me of my mock trial days in school.

You just gave yourself away Toast

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

AP posted:

Moma ... He's not here to talk about Star Citizen
Not true at all. I specifically did not post anything of substance yesterday or today (some will argue - at all) to give you guys room to do your FUD-thing after ATV and RTV, and to discuss your little poster or whatever. After all, I didn't want you to think I was here to derail or detract from you guys having a blast.

not here to talk about Star Citizen

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not true at all. I specifically did not post anything of substance yesterday or today (some will argue - at all) to give you guys room to do your FUD-thing after ATV and RTV, and to discuss your little poster or whatever. After all, I didn't want you to think I was here to derail or detract from you guys having a blast.

(psst, we aren't talking about lately, you have ALWAYS selectively ignored posts)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kakarot posted:

You just gave yourself away Toast

lmao self own

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

This is actually a great move, aren't you SOL refundwise if you melt/switch the ship you bough from CIG?

No, not really, it's like using an amazon gift card, you've just using store credit from a store that doesn't ever send the item (game).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT

Guns cannot be mounted on a non-existant wing
Would expect everything to stay where you put them
I should have simply reached my destination
I should be able to fully see the ship and get inside of it.
Ship doesnt move its wings and body back and forth when you get back in
Canons don't shoot if I don't press the trigger
Being able to come back on the constellation thru the airlock.
No client crash.
Weapons should stop firing once the trigger is released.
One would think that in persistence when you mount a weapon to a hard point it remains there until removed or destroyed.
Should not be able to see inside skin of ship
Return to pilot seat through cargo bay without clipping through the floor.
Seriously? Maybe an idris?
Throttle should work regardless of whether pirates are encountered.
Expected result would be, being able to carry on with my business in the verse without being dead. In an ideal world perhaps being able to use quantum travel without wondering if I was going to make it home to see my family or if I would die in fiery agony.
Take off without getting killed

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Thronde posted:

Dooooo iiiiiiit

Yep job for the weekend, as i'll also send a copies of CS department's "mad copy/paste skillz" I've already tagged both the ACCC and RSI with a tweet.....for fun.

"@acccgovau and @RobertsSpaceInd blockbuster coming soon....reserve your seats.."

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

All AI upon spawning take a look around and just pull out their plagiarized pistol and blast themselves in the head, but due to the games poo poo netcode they don't register as hits :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIjNs_s2NI

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

EXPECTED RESULT

Guns cannot be mounted on a non-existant wing
Would expect everything to stay where you put them
I should have simply reached my destination
I should be able to fully see the ship and get inside of it.
Ship doesnt move its wings and body back and forth when you get back in
Canons don't shoot if I don't press the trigger
Being able to come back on the constellation thru the airlock.
No client crash.
Weapons should stop firing once the trigger is released.
One would think that in persistence when you mount a weapon to a hard point it remains there until removed or destroyed.
Should not be able to see inside skin of ship
Return to pilot seat through cargo bay without clipping through the floor.
Seriously? Maybe an idris?
Throttle should work regardless of whether pirates are encountered.
Expected result would be, being able to carry on with my business in the verse without being dead. In an ideal world perhaps being able to use quantum travel without wondering if I was going to make it home to see my family or if I would die in fiery agony.
Take off without getting killed

Someone who can be bothered please make a twitter account for this stuff

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
As the inevitable death of CIG approaches, this thread is getting new life

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Chalks posted:

Someone who can be bothered please make a twitter account for this stuff

I've considered it but am far too lazy to actually do anything about it :(

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFaYfnknNk&t=22s

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Maw posted:

I've considered it but am far too lazy to actually do anything about it :(

It's a dark day for Star Citizen when none of us can be bothered to make fun of it. :effort:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeLdtaDJzm0

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0iJyT0-mQ&t=25s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yx1CGxqgjE

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Holy poo poo the whales pay $10/month just for access to all of those lovely 'verse videos? I completely forgot about that. And looool:

reddit posted:

Narakknew user/low karma 8 points 12 hours ago

I personally am at almost two years as a subscriber, i have yet to see in my hangar ANY of my ships ive pledged since i began following this game except the connie. This is VERY un-motivating for me when you see ships still being sold as new ideas but they still haven't even finished ships from even two years ago or longer.

Sad to say but I believe i might be cancelling my subscription soon as well.

"After not getting any of the ships I've purchased in 2 years and spending $240 for details on how they are not being implemented, I'm starting to seriously reconsider my actions, maybe."

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

This game is a joke in the whole internet now

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

I have an idea...

I have in my possession a "Constellation" model, that I am willing to smash with a sledge hammer and film it. I would just need help with video editing and graphics etc. After which I would allow anybody (on SA) to use the clip for any nefarious purpose. It will take some time to organise as said object is in storage and I'd need to drive somewhere to retrieve from a storage unit..

Thoughts?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JazzPaws posted:

I have an idea...

I have in my possession a "Constellation" model, that I am willing to smash with a sledge hammer and film it. I would just need help with video editing and graphics etc. After which I would allow anybody (on SA) to use the clip for any nefarious purpose. It will take some time to organise as said object is in storage and I'd need to drive somewhere to retrieve from a storage unit..

Thoughts?

No smashing

Burn it or dissolve it in acid acetone

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No smashing

Burn it or dissolve it in acid acetone

We should have some sort of poll perhaps?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

JazzPaws posted:

I have an idea...

Thoughts?

Mount it clipping half through a commemorative plaque that says "I finished Star Citizen" and send it to Dr D Smart as a gift.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

JazzPaws posted:

We should have some sort of poll perhaps?

No, no, no. The clear choice is to melt it, just like all the whales do. Stick it in your oven.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

XK posted:

No, no, no. The clear choice is to melt it, just like all the whales do. Stick it in your oven.

Ahhhh "melting" with acetone now makes sense..

Maybe do it in a fish tank...then I have acetone to dispose of...

The oven is brand new....i'll be belted with a broom for making the smoke alarm go off and loving up the oven..

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I don't really get the point of destroying a fully completed product that CIG has actually managed to ship - I think it probably belongs in a museum - but if you do decide to destroy it, melting is definitely the only way to go.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

Melting it seems the popular choice, then smash the remains up and mail it to CIG perhaps?

I'll have to dig it out, I think some of it is metal..

JazzPaws fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 17, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

JazzPaws posted:

Melting it seems the popular choice, then smash the remains up and mail it to CIG perhaps?

To be honest I'd sell it on ebay and buy something fun or useful. Trashing it just seems like a waste that will be funny for about 5 seconds.

Also it was made in China, melting it or whatever will probably release toxic gasses that kills your whole street.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Melting it will also provide better footage than smashing it unless you have a high speed camera.

If you burn it, have a test run on something else first to make sure your camera is going to do it justice - unlike CIG.

p.s. stick it to a stick and run around with it with the camera behind it making space whooshing sounds - the SC nerds will love that then cry when you burn/melt it.

p.s.s. dose it have LTI?

p.s.s.s Also, you should wait until you have finish your claim with the ACCC and Robert Space Industry

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 17, 2016

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Chalks posted:

It's a dark day for Star Citizen when none of us can be bothered to make fun of it. :effort:

If nobody has done it by the time I get home from work I'll do it. Probably. Or if I get bored at work I suppose.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EminusSleepus posted:

Buy Drake Dragonfly and experience the excitement of CryEngine Physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8rjZiADts

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

AP posted:

To be honest I'd sell it on ebay and buy something fun or useful. Trashing it just seems like a waste that will be funny for about 5 seconds.

Also it was made in China, melting it or whatever will probably release toxic gasses that kills your whole street.

Indeed, it's probably releasing toxic gas now PAARRRRRP, i'll dig it out over the weekend and revisit the idea, but you do have a point.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

order cheap the sale isnt going well.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

Kosumo posted:

Melting it will also provide better footage than smashing it unless you have a high speed camera.

If you burn it, have a test run on something else first to make sure your camera is going to do it justice - unlike CIG.

p.s. stick it to a stick and run around with it with the camera behind it making space whooshing sounds - the SC nerds will love that then cry when you burn/melt it.

p.s.s. dose it have LTI?

p.s.s.s Also, you should wait until you have finish your claim with the ACCC and Robert Space Industry

Yep have a Canon 7D bought for motorsport pics, spits out 10fps.

p.s. - Interesting may have to draft a story board

p.s.s - No LTI, just a cardboard box and foam

p.s.s.s - Maybe....maybe not

Will have to youtube burning things for concept ideas..

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Chalks posted:

It makes fun of itself pretty well, I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpQvRvcniU4

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

FrankieGoes posted:

I've never witnessed where he said it but I have seen multiple shitizens claim that he said it, so I'm pretty sure it's true which is loving lol.

He said it multiple times. He stated that since publishers push an agenda (imputing stuff for sales) he can cut that out. He can run a smaller ship with better control and without advertising stretch the money.
Therefor right now he is 450 million USD and counting.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Like death all my life.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Definitely melt it and send a support ticket "why didn't i get the credit from my melting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
To be quite frank, melting it sounds both pointless and kind of petty. Just sell it on Ebay or something.

• Locked thread