Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I use search for everything

Yup.

40+ icons isn't useful at all, it took me forever when I tried to find something by its icon so that was basically useless. Same for the nested programs list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

If anybody is trying to jump on this, if you see an error message after adding to cart just go back and keep trying. It probably said it was out of stock (after you click add to cart) on me 15 times before it worked, and a few times there was no add to cart button at all just auto notify. Just keep F5'ing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I use search for everything

I would, but for some reason windows 10 search does not work for settings for me. It just opens the settings window that says "Search Results" and is otherwise empty.

It's been like this ever since I upgraded, and none of the "fix windows 10 start menu search" fixes work :<

vvvv: You can't, microsoft has gone full ubuntu and now there's 2 control panels, with both not having all the settings :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 17, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Perplx posted:

I specifically mean the new settings that show 9 huge icons when the old control panel could show 40+ items

or... you could use the control panel instead of the settings app?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So with the EVGA FTW delays in the UK I'm considering spending about £20 more and grabbing the Gigabyte G1 1080 OC. It has only 1 8pin connector and 8+2 power but from what I can see all the OC's are basically the same as founders topping out around 2Ghz? Reckon I should just do that as that will sent out Monday all being well, who knows with EVGA the date just keeps on slipping.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

I specifically mean the new settings that show 9 huge icons when the old control panel could show 40+ items

they've been moving in this direction since like ME, it has nothing to do with touch. your second screenshot isn't even the default control panel.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

deimos posted:

or... you could use the control panel instead of the settings app?

Because a lot of setting are only in the new settings

Overall I think it's a step backwards in usability, but I still use 10 over 7 for all other stuff

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Windows 10 Settings is a piece of poo poo but surely this travesty can be contained in the Windows 10 thread.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Icept posted:

Windows 10 Settings is a piece of poo poo but surely this travesty can be contained in the Windows 10 thread.

wait there are other threads :confused:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyway, is there any particular one of the various aftermarket GTx 1070's that people would recommend over any other, or are they all basically the same at this point?

Unless you have some serious brand loyalty whichever unicorn you can catch would be it. It helps to know in advance when some are going on sale like:

It's the same card as before, just a second(?) batch of them.

Anyone planning to buy that should just start opening that link in new tabs 1-2 minutes before 9AM PST because the page will usually load right before 9 and seconds count when you're competing against other :f5:ing card hunters.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Gigabyte 1070 Founders Edition back in stock on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125870

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Perplx posted:

Psssst, WinKey+X:

(WinKey+I opens up the new Settings menu.)

Only 13 more days for official RX480 benches. Hoping those "leaks" of it being between a 970 and 980 at stock would be good.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
G1 and Strix 1080s on Newegg, the g1 has been in stock for actual minutes !!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rukus posted:

Only 13 more days for official RX480 benches. Hoping those "leaks" of it being between a 970 and 980 at stock would be good.

It'd certainly make the 960 a redheaded bastard stepchild of the GPU world overnight, but 970s are already flirting with $250, and it wouldn't surprise me if that hits $229 before rebates around the 480 launch just to take the wind out of AMD's sails. Still, it gives AMD a decently-performing 8GB card under $250 until nVidia answers with a 1060 and/or 1060Ti (though I doubt they'll launch simultaneously).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hate that I can't modify a newegg order without canceling it (or I just completely missed it when looking). I wanted to upgrade my shipping from the crappy default 4-7 day setting but canceling to redo shipping would've absolutely resulted in me not getting the card and someone else doing so. Now instead of having the card by the weekend I'll be getting it Tuesday probably.

Call them and ask them to change it? Customer service can probably solve that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

kimcicle posted:

Gigabyte 1070 Founders Edition back in stock on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125870

Been an hour and it's still available. Something wrong with Gigabyte or has everyone to impatient to wait for an aftermarket bought a Founder Editions already?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Subjunctive posted:

Call them and ask them to change it? Customer service can probably solve that.

It's in Fedex's hands already but yeah I guess that might've been possible.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Been an hour and it's still available. Something wrong with Gigabyte or has everyone to impatient to wait for an aftermarket bought a Founder Editions already?

My hunch is that there just is a lot more supply of the 1070, currently.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Huh, apparently this exists now at these prices (?). I know its TN but apparently its a good one

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1466126649&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+s2716dg

If you bought a 1080 buy that too

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Huh, apparently this exists now at these prices (?). I know its TN but apparently its a good one

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1466126649&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+s2716dg

If you bought a 1080 buy that too

> 27" for $509
> 28" for $75.39 LESS
> 28" version has integrated speakers and "subwoofer"
> 28" version appears to not have a VESA mount either

My sides, they are in orbit.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The TN high end monitor bracket has been crashing and burning lately from what I've seen. Enthusiasts are going the IPS route now in droves so it's tough to get people to spend real cash on inferior panels now that IPS monitors have caught up on refresh rate and input lag for the most part.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

> 27" for $509
> 28" for $75.39 LESS
> 28" version has integrated speakers and "subwoofer"
> 28" version appears to not have a VESA mount either

My sides, they are in orbit.

Er should have mentioned that's a 144hz gsync Dell 1440p monitor I guess ..

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/

If this is true and can put the RX480 close to a stock 980Ti...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does it even /matter/? If you can't mount the monitor on an arm, as far as I'm concerned, you would have to pay me to take it off your hands, and then I would give it away to some poor schmuck doesn't know any better.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Er should have mentioned that's a 144hz gsync Dell 1440p monitor I guess ..

I've got a way better quality monitor (IPS/1440p/144Hz/Freesync) for roughly the same price, the gsync tax is kind of laughable. If you've got money to burn, fine, but goddamn. Honestly if anything if it comes down to a comparable AMD card+IPS monitor+Freesync vs an Nvidia card+TN+Gsync, I'll stick with AMD.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Seamonster posted:

drat...if 1.6-1.7Ghz is achievable on 299$ AIB cards (maybe water), then I guess I'm going to dump my 290X for an RX480 because holy poo poo. I guess this may be why AMD has been so quite, the RX480/470 make the 200/300 series obsolete in entirety, so if you want to get maximum return on the old cards you keep the new cards performance un the wraps, then do firesales on day of release.

Also this is a solid argument to bring in those higher end Polaris 10 chips as the RX485 (and higher end RX470s and RX460s as RX475s and RX465s), because it seems clear AMD definitely went for a Maxwellesque perf/power curve, so there will be a yamn chasm between various custom RX480.

I'm a little concerned about the gap between an RX460 and the RX470 though, the RX460 isn't quite 380 performance, but it's clear the RX470 is close to 290 performance. Seems to be a bit of a gap that a GTX 1050 will have no competition in.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
RX480 overclockability is going to be what sways Hawaii owners like us big time. No point in holding on for a RX490 that may not exist if we can touch 980Ti performance for ~$250.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

I've got a way better quality monitor (IPS/1440p/144Hz/Freesync) for roughly the same price, the gsync tax is kind of laughable. If you've got money to burn, fine, but goddamn. Honestly if anything if it comes down to a comparable AMD card+IPS monitor+Freesync vs an Nvidia card+TN+Gsync, I'll stick with AMD.

Jeez I just thought it was a good price lol

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does it even /matter/? If you can't mount the monitor on an arm, as far as I'm concerned, you would have to pay me to take it off your hands, and then I would give it away to some poor schmuck doesn't know any better.

:wtc:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

In the ongoing saga of Kyle Bennett

quote:

I was on the phone with AMD this morning for 30 minutes. I do not see AMD sampling us any time soon, even though AMD stated that it had no issues with our GPU reviews. I asked AMD to bring for any statements in our editorial to me that needed to be corrected, and PR said they could not speak to that. Basically AMD was fishing for a promise from me to not write any more editorials and it would brief and sample me. I would not make that commitment and explained that reviews would be written on all their GPUs whether or not AMD sampled us, it would simply impact our timeline. The call went well though even though no conclusions were reached.

Roy Taylor can hold a grudge.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taima posted:

What exactly do people dislike about Windows 10? I'm not sure if I've ever had a bad experience with it, ever. And it's quite fast.

I hate how they had to streamline everything because "it was too complicated before :cry:". I hate how I've had more bugs in two months of use than I've had in the previous two decades. I hate the unnecessary data collection. I hate how useless cortana is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Jeez I just thought it was a good price lol

:wtc:

Back issues.

Ironically, caused by using an HP 2009m for five years like a loving moron. A monitor with the same kind of tilt-only monitor base as that 28-inch model.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-Pascal...4b0ca6cde7a45ad

AHAHAHAHAHA

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

I'm going to take this with a salt box but I'm happy with a dieshrink 290 myself.

FaustianQ posted:

In the ongoing saga of Kyle Bennett
Hasn't Nvidia also stopped giving him sample cards?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Fuckers at alternate raised their prices for the 1080GTX by about 5%. Almost feel bad that I cancelled my "cheaper" pre-order. Bleh

This is the first time I'm on the first row during a GPU launch and frankly I'm not enjoying it.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 17, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, these 10-series cards supply issues are just getting ridiculous. We're what, two weeks in now, and NOBODY has loving any?

I'm starting to think that there are some kind of yield issues going on over at TSMC that nobody's talking about.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, these 10-series cards supply issues are just getting ridiculous. We're what, two weeks in now, and NOBODY has loving any?

I'm starting to think that there are some kind of yield issues going on over at TSMC that nobody's talking about.

I just ordered a ASUS 1070FE and it's in the mail, guess I'm returning my 980ti...

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

snuff posted:

I just ordered a ASUS 1070FE and it's in the mail, guess I'm returning my 980ti...

Isn't the 980Ti a flat out better card though?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mikojan posted:

Isn't the 980Ti a flat out better card though?

No, 1070 generally scores above a stock Titan X.
Overclocked 980 Ti probably runs right there with the 1070, but you also get another couple of gig of vram on the 1070, along with the hope of driver support further into the future, and of course lower power usage.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 17, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There's probably a good reason why AMD made a seemingly last-minute switch to Samsung's fabs for Polaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Here is a WCCFTech article just for AnimeSG

Now, according to Khalid, who seems the most reputable, the RX460 will not have a 1000Mhz clock as discussed in the article but a 1400Mhz clock, so these might be RX 480M prototypes. Since it seems scaling up to 1266Mhz is 99.1% in 3DMark, it's quite possible they'll hit 10k or 11k, or roughly 280X to GTX 770 performance, with more headroom to OC than Polaris 10. If so, might help to differentiate between the what's likely to be a bus powered and 6 pin powered RX460 with an RX465.

Anyway, you're new low profile overlord everyone.