Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Claremont Ferrand supposedly made drivers sick from the elevation changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol it's literally called the "Charade Circuit".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This looks like it could be a race of attrition.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

simplefish posted:

You can't post that sans video

Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjD5zoFE9E

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cheers, you're a star

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has expressed his delight over the inaugural grand prix in Baku, Azerbaijan this weekend, saying that the city makes North America seem like “a bit of a s*** hole”.
http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/06/16/ecclestone-north-america-a-bit-of-a-s-hole-compared-to-baku/

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Bernie owns

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

keevo posted:

Hey guys we finally got a lap of the circuit that's not from a video game and has all the barriers installed

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/6/Exclusive_-_the_Medical_Car_takes_us_on_a_lap_of_Baku.html

drat the safety car really pulled out a gap. Whos the binman driving the medical car???

Also wow that castle section is narrow!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

... The whole continent?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
"The minute people tell me what human rights are, you can look at how, why and when it applies. Does anyone know what human rights are?” he said.

lol

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Hefe posted:

Bernie owns

Sorry you're only realizing this now

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
"Human rights"? "Europe"? These are mere words, they have no bearing on our reality.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Too bad the land of fire isn't communist any more. It's been killed by capitalism.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

"The minute people tell me what human rights are, you can look at how, why and when it applies. Does anyone know what human rights are?” he said.

lol

he's the most amazing man

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
The Baku track looks like something out of Need for Speed, comically narrow at points.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've never looked forward to a free practice more. Bad qualifying politics, driver drama, the mercs taking each other out, red bull repeatedly forgetting how pit stops work, and now this. It's the season which keeps on giving.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/130874-hamilton-simulators-no-better-than-games

quote:

Lewis Hamilton says he can learn "the same amount" about Formula 1 circuits playing computer games as he can by driving in the Mercedes simulator.

Simulators have become an almost ubiquitous tool in F1 in recent times, as the rules have increasingly limited on-track testing.

Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg recently described parts of Mercedes' simulation of the new Baku street circuit as "weird," and Hamilton said he drove just eight laps in the sim ahead of this weekend's European Grand Prix because of the tool's limitations.

"I don't drive the simulator a lot because it's not at it's best at the moment; we're working on trying to make it better," Hamilton said. "I don't do a lot of time in simulators. When I was at McLaren we did way too much. I could spend £100 (about $140) on a PlayStation and learn the same amount."

Hamilton said the simulator was more use to engineers than drivers, because the sensations of driving a real car cannot be replicated correctly in a sim.

"There's a difference between driving a simulator and driving the real thing – you have no emotion," Hamilton added. "When you get into the simulator you have to adjust yourself to the simulator, and when you get in the car you don't adjust to it, you drive. When you get in the simulator you have to adjust all your feelings – you don't get the same movements, the same bumps.

"You drive the same track the day before and on Monday you drive the simulator and the bumps aren't there, the curbs are different, the speed is different. You don't feel the speed, you don't feel the physicality of it. The engineers learn more from the fuel usage, the power usage and aerodynamics."

Hamilton also revealed that he does not walk circuits anymore, something that is common practice among most F1 teams and drivers during a grand prix weekend.

"I've walked around circuits since Formula Renault to probably my third or fourth year in F1 and it made zero difference to my weekend," Hamilton said. "I've not walked a track since 2010 and it made zero difference.

"It might work for others, but for me it doesn't."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here we go. :D

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
10 seconds in sector 1 yellow.

It's ok the renault managed to get started again.

e: on track, lots of cars going very very slowly and Ricciado.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Somebody is going to eat poo poo into that wall leading to the castle section in a very big way. Hell I'm pretty sure someone is going to get a Manor in their living room there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm having a hard time working this track out. On the one hand it seems boring, but on the other if they gently caress it up it's going to be very very interesting.

lol that they made those tyre killing long straights DRS zones.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
F1 at a more respectable time. Good stuff.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It's like a street circuit version of Monza.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You know what? I like the look of the track. Its an odd combination of long rear end straights and incredibly tight sections and its got a surprising amount of elevation change. The city backdrop is different and the FOM have placed the cameras around the track to show it off quite well.

Time will tell if it actually produces a decent race or not, but I'm prepared to give it a chance.

Edit: also holy poo poo the main straight looks bumpy as gently caress. Someone's going to have a suspension failure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
oh lord, track is so uneven in places the cars are bouncing. It's just full of surprises this track.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
As narrow as it is, the castle section looks real cool.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Lmao earlier during the GP2 practice session there was a van packed on the run off for one of the turns and one of the cars had to drive around it

https://twitter.com/DuCardim/status/743707904214085633

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you thought it would be Gutierrez who binned it first then you were right.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Feed just died. Oh well.

Nvm, all good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
hahaha camera was focused on Kvyat as he was coming round the corner and he didn't come out the other side.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cat on the track.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's a part of the track where the camera can't pan up because filming the "Presidential Palace" is illegal

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok so the merc times mean nothing Bottas just beat them by 0.5.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure that bit of tape is going to work there manor.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Oh no Are Dan :/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wow that was quite some clunk there.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
That's a big hit.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Lmao @ the hall of mirrors Max with Dan's wreck in the background.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Red Bull having a bad day. First time I've ever wanted another Horner interview (We've already had two this session)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I step away for a minute and come back to the red flag, see its a Redbull and think oh goodie... Max got back on track and crashed... but no....

Are Dan :( :australia:

• Locked thread