Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Crankit posted:

You can get around this by browsing on your phone, tablet or whatever people are using these days, probably a VR headset.

This is my recommendation - cellular data is so cheap now, at least here in the UK, that I mostly do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

That's what I figured, thanks.

Nine thirty in the evening and I get a sudden hankering for wings, what's a guy to do but try to cook em for himself for once :v:

For more proper wings, you'd probably want to fry them in a pan with some oil.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Maybe! They came out pretty fuckin' good in the oven though. (Cooking the wings whole was a mistake though, shoulda broke the wingtips off first. Oh well, never said I was any good at this)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are there any good examples of fiction (or any other medium) about time-travel or use it as a major plot device that do it well? I think it's generally a rule of thumb that if a story involves time-travel, it's probably going to be terrible and muck up the internal logic on top of that.

Thanks! :)

The game Ghost Trick. Granted, the reasons it's good aren't directly related to its use of time travel to the same degree as some of the other recommendations, but it didn't cock it up and it's a good game with a good plot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you like anime there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (and its spiritual sequel, Umineko no Naku Koro ni) - both work by starting with a boring premise (Higurashi - kid moves to remote village, Umineko - extended family gathering of a rich family) and repeats different timelines extending from that.

In Higurashi it's only much later in the show it's revealed that one character has been aware of the time repetition from the beginning, and has iterated over millennia in attempt to stop a tragic ending from occurring.

In Umineko after the first tragic ending the main character... okay this is anime as all heck, but basically the main character gets into an argument with the witch that killed him that witches don't possibly exist and that it's all a coincidence and despite her using magic to make them go back in time and watch things unfolding, he uses this to prove to her that in all iterations of the tragic ending it could easily be explained by non-magic means. So basically it repeats different timelines and after each magical death time is stopped and he walks in to the situation and explains how it could easily have been done by one of the human beings at the remote island (his family and their servants) it's set on.

God typing that out I realise how ridiculous that loving show was. :psyduck:

There's also the Zero Escape video games, 999 and Virtue's Last Reward which follow a similar pattern, but in particular in Virtue's Last Reward you learn after your first playthrough that you can jump back in time to any point in the game where you made a significant decision to make a different one or remake your original decision, and sometimes remaking the decision having played a different timeline gives you side-knowledge that your character can use to continue in the current timeline.

Comedy game option - PS2 game Shadows of Memories. There's a Retsupurae making fun of this as, while it meant well, it's a little unintentionally funny in how cheesy it was.

Oh, and another game - Life is Strange, where time travel is central to the plot. That game is fantastic and if you hate anime or anime-style poo poo then this is the only one in my post that isn't that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

God typing that out I realise how ridiculous that loving show was. :psyduck:

Trap sprung but for the love of god don't watch the Umineko anime, it's awful and couldn't possibly be anything else because the story is much too complicated and detailed to work as a short anime. Read the visual novels. The first four will be out on Steam in about three weeks, there's no excuse now.

Doctor Who is the only show that does time travel right by cheerfully ignoring the idea of having any kind of internal consistency at all. How does time travel work? It works however the story needs it to work in that moment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Trap sprung but for the love of god don't watch the Umineko anime, it's awful and couldn't possibly be anything else because the story is much too complicated and detailed to work as a short anime. Read the visual novels. The first four will be out on Steam in about three weeks, there's no excuse now.

:smugdog:

More seriously the VNs are coming out? Please tell me they don't have the... hilarious... visuals?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

Doctor Who is the only show that does time travel right by cheerfully ignoring the idea of having any kind of internal consistency at all. How does time travel work? It works however the story needs it to work in that moment.
Doctor Who is hardly the only show that does this, and continuity errors are not usually regarded as a good thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A corner of my yard has turned into Ant City, USA. Maybe a 6' x 6' area with a lot of anthills, and a few more in other parts, though not that bad.

What's the best way to get rid of them but not poison my lawn or dog? Would sprinkling a bunch of diatomaceous earth around do the trick?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

A corner of my yard has turned into Ant City, USA. Maybe a 6' x 6' area with a lot of anthills, and a few more in other parts, though not that bad.

What's the best way to get rid of them but not poison my lawn or dog? Would sprinkling a bunch of diatomaceous earth around do the trick?

couldn't you just flood them out with a hose? thats how I used to get rid of them back when I lived in a place with a yard. sure they came back again eventually, such is life.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why are funnel cakes only served at concession stands and only during the summer? They seem fairly popular, and it's not like they are hard to make, why can't people buy them at bakeries or grocery stores?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Most oil based pastries like that get stale pretty quick. They're best hot and crispy, if you wait to eat them, it's like reheated french fries.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

:smugdog:

More seriously the VNs are coming out? Please tell me they don't have the... hilarious... visuals?

AFAIK they're going to have an option to select which graphics you want. The first four are out soon and I imagine it'll take them another year or two to get the last four out considering how long it took them to get these out after it was announced.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Earwicker posted:

couldn't you just flood them out with a hose? thats how I used to get rid of them back when I lived in a place with a yard. sure they came back again eventually, such is life.

I'd prefer they didn't come back, at least not for a while. They're starting to infiltrate the garden.

I mean...they've survived several straight days of rain, I don't see what ten minutes of me with a hose can do to them that mother nature hasn't already.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've been looking for legit license for MS Office and while Amazon sells the student edition for £100, I see a lot of auctions on ebay for £20 where you pay your money and get a key by email

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2016-Professional-Plus-BRAND-NEW-SAME-DAY-DELIVERY-/252425190974

I am assuming that they are real keys (in that they can be activated), but I am guessing it's something that isn't actually allowed under the terms of the license.

I'm not going to buy one, but I am curious where the keys come from.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

DrBouvenstein posted:

There are several options for getting rid of ants, which range from "ineffective" to "nuclear"

The most basic is simply to go get some antkiller and sprinkle/pour that poo poo on the mound. The effectiveness and safety of these products varies pretty wildly, but that's the option 90% of people are going to go with.

While you can inconvenience ants with a hose, if you want to kill the little fuckers try boiling water. Fill a big pot, set it on the stove, and then pour it right on top of the nest. It's 100% safe, unless you pour it on your dog at the same time, and it's more effective than just the hose, but it's also probably not going to guarantee the end of the nest. It will kill a fuckton of ants and slow them down considerably, but the queen will probably survive and rebuild. It's important to remember that ants, as a species, are not stupid. They build their nests so as not to get flooded every time it rains, water doesn't penetrate everywhere by design.

The most effective way I've found to kill them is my grandfather's method, which was just to pour straight loving gasoline down the hill. Kills them dead, but it will annihilate your lawn. Probably not the option you want to take.

It's a pain in the rear end to do, but you might consider melted aluminum. If you can set up a quick and dirty foundry (Youtube it) and melt a bunch of cans, you can pour that poo poo down the hole and those ants are dead. 100% dead. The aluminum won't reach everywhere in the nest, but it will kill enough and plug enough holes that the remaining ones won't make it out alive. While there are no poisons that will leach into the soil from the aluminum to harm your lawn, it will still be a dead spot where it is unless you dig it up a couple weeks later and fill the hole back in with new soil. This is the most labor-intensive and expensive method, but it's also pretty much the most effective. Plus, if you dig the aluminum up afterwards and wash it off, you can display it as an art piece celebrating your victory over mother nature. :v:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
As a very bored young boy growing up in a very dull suburb, I can confirm the gasoline kills ants nest dead. I can also confirm that my parents never figured out why their lawn looked like poo poo for my entire childhood, only to greatly improve in quality once I moved out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Konstantin posted:

Why are funnel cakes only served at concession stands and only during the summer? They seem fairly popular, and it's not like they are hard to make, why can't people buy them at bakeries or grocery stores?

This might be a regional thing (the northeast) but I've seen it for sale at such places year round. That said they aren't the sorta thing most people want to buy outside of an environment like that, rather like cotton candy. If you wanted funnel cake real quick, any standalone bakery or supermarket bakery would probably take the order and make some for you with a bit of advanced notice though.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Unless they're an exotic species like red invasive fire ants, it's generally a good idea to just ignore them - they eat a lot of garden pests, and they're occupying territory that RIFA or other major pest ants could take up. If you have to kill them, at least try the boiling water first before using chemicals - chemical free lawns can provide all sorts of food or habitat for tons of different species of wildlife, large and small, without hurting anything for humans.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to do, but you might consider melted aluminum. If you can set up a quick and dirty foundry (Youtube it) and melt a bunch of cans, you can pour that poo poo down the hole and those ants are dead. 100% dead. The aluminum won't reach everywhere in the nest, but it will kill enough and plug enough holes that the remaining ones won't make it out alive. While there are no poisons that will leach into the soil from the aluminum to harm your lawn, it will still be a dead spot where it is unless you dig it up a couple weeks later and fill the hole back in with new soil. This is the most labor-intensive and expensive method, but it's also pretty much the most effective. Plus, if you dig the aluminum up afterwards and wash it off, you can display it as an art piece celebrating your victory over mother nature. :v:

Could you not just skip the aluminum part and tear the nest up with a shovel? You would probably kill the queen during all the destruction.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Could you not just skip the aluminum part and tear the nest up with a shovel? You would probably kill the queen during all the destruction.
Digging into an ant nest with a shovel is generally the kind of thing you try to avoid doing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

I've been looking for legit license for MS Office and while Amazon sells the student edition for £100, I see a lot of auctions on ebay for £20 where you pay your money and get a key by email

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2016-Professional-Plus-BRAND-NEW-SAME-DAY-DELIVERY-/252425190974

I am assuming that they are real keys (in that they can be activated), but I am guessing it's something that isn't actually allowed under the terms of the license.

I'm not going to buy one, but I am curious where the keys come from.

I can buy a current Office key once per calendar year for $15 AUD, directly from Microsoft, as part of my company's Home Use Programme. I just log on to the site and put my company code in and they email me a code. Probably what other people are doing. I can imagine an enterprising IT guy setting up a couple of hundred "test" email addresses and buying a bunch of keys to resell.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
There's this song my roommate and I have been talking about but we can't figure out the name of the song. We heard it in a club on a 90s night where you stand still and do poses to the beat that goes 'dun----, dun, dun, dun, dun' and then you just hop in place in circle and one hand do the lasso move. It's a bit western-ish if you know what I mean. What's the name of this song!?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

MeaningOfLife posted:

There's this song my roommate and I have been talking about but we can't figure out the name of the song. We heard it in a club on a 90s night where you stand still and do poses to the beat that goes 'dun----, dun, dun, dun, dun' and then you just hop in place in circle and one hand do the lasso move. It's a bit western-ish if you know what I mean. What's the name of this song!?

"Apache" by the Sugarhill Gang?

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

The Human Cow posted:

"Apache" by the Sugarhill Gang?

Bingo. Thank you.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

The aforementioned boiling water trick is free, quick, and has the side benefit of watching a couple of thousand of your worst enemies die at your hand.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Why not just leave them ants alone? They don't know anything about property lines, they just wanna share the earth and build a nest :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

Why not just leave them ants alone? They don't know anything about property lines, they just wanna share the earth and build a nest :(

Ants can be pests. There are many more ants everywhere and they're basically just biological robots. You should not feel bad for the ants.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Ants can be pests. There are many more ants everywhere and they're basically just biological robots. You should not feel bad for the ants.

We're all ants.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

tuyop posted:

I don't think your logic is as good as you think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

I don't think your logic is as good as you think.

You should feel as bad about killing an ant as you should about deleting a really complicated computer program or breaking an arduino or something. Even ten million ant deaths don't represent a mournable event because they're pretty much just simple, unthinking configurations of nerves, all nearly exact copies of each other. Like blenders from Walmart but in bug form.

Two ants in a unique environment will just tug on a twig in opposite directions until they starve to death. As a colony they're super cool but individually they're just going through simple motions dictated by pheromones and programming.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

tuyop posted:

You should feel as bad about killing an ant as you should about deleting a really complicated computer program or breaking an arduino or something. Even ten million ant deaths don't represent a mournable event because they're pretty much just simple, unthinking configurations of nerves, all nearly exact copies of each other. Like blenders from Walmart but in bug form.

Two ants in a unique environment will just tug on a twig in opposite directions until they starve to death. As a colony they're super cool but individually they're just going through simple motions dictated by pheromones and programming.

Something, something, man versus mankind. Except mankind does a better job of obliterating other species than ants do, so mankind's 'super cool' factor is kind of less 'super cool' and more out of its own control.

Might I recommend Ishmael by Daniel Quinn as interesting reading?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

Let me run a find&replace on a single word:

tuyop posted:

You should feel as bad about killing an coworker as you should about deleting a really complicated computer program or breaking an arduino or something. Even ten million coworker deaths don't represent a mournable event because they're pretty much just simple, unthinking configurations of nerves, all nearly exact copies of each other. Like blenders from Walmart but in bug form.

Two coworkers in a unique environment will just tug on a twig in opposite directions until they starve to death. As a colony they're super cool but individually they're just going through simple motions dictated by pheromones and programming.

Works disturbingly well.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

tuyop posted:

i'm not saying I think they fall in love and have families and are terrified of gasoline death from above. but they are alive and are a part of nature, and are interesting creatutes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The sort of ants that actively farm aphids can gently caress right off.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Aphids are living creatures too. Enslaved by the ant overlords, they will never know true freedom. Will someone think of the aphids???

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...they've survived several straight days of rain, I don't see what ten minutes of me with a hose can do to them that mother nature hasn't already.

well if you take the hose and blast a concentrated stream of water directly into their nest that does a lot more damage than any kind of rainstorm, but yes boiling water or molten metal etc. will probably do more

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The only cool ants are leafcutter ants, because they're tiny little farmers.

:shobon:

All other kinds of ants can gently caress right off, though. Especially stinging ones, like Fire Ants and Bullet Ants and poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

Something, something, man versus mankind. Except mankind does a better job of obliterating other species than ants do, so mankind's 'super cool' factor is kind of less 'super cool' and more out of its own control.

Might I recommend Ishmael by Daniel Quinn as interesting reading?

I mean, sure (if I understand the message of the author based on a quick Google search), a river isn't sentient either but you should leave it alone because the environment is us and we are the environment. But, a beetle in my house that I squish is not "the environment" and neither are the anthills in this guy's yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

tuyop posted:

I mean, sure (if I understand the message of the author based on a quick Google search), a river isn't sentient either but you should leave it alone because the environment is us and we are the environment. But, a beetle in my house that I squish is not "the environment" and neither are the anthills in this guy's yard.

I basically agree, but

1) why would you squish a beetle?
2) there's far too much lawn in the world. Lawns are an abomination. Any antihill will improve them