Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PassingPie posted:

Uh, did you mean to type yes? Because "always keep a minimum number of X available" is precisely how the new job manager works and I've all but automated every single workshop by doing this.

I thought I read someone asking Toady about this very thing and he said that it wasn't in with the new changes.

I'm exceptionally pleased to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, I'm a bit confused, I've read that in order to make taverns work properly, one needs to put drinks into a stockpile from which the tavern goers can take them. What exactly does that mean, should I just designate a food pile in the middle of the tavern area, and the game will understand it as a tavern stockpile?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

So, I'm a bit confused, I've read that in order to make taverns work properly, one needs to put drinks into a stockpile from which the tavern goers can take them. What exactly does that mean, should I just designate a food pile in the middle of the tavern area, and the game will understand it as a tavern stockpile?

as long as there's a food stockpile within the tavern zone, the tavern will take from that stockpile. You don't need to stick it out in the middle, you can have a little small 3x3 room at the back and just zone that in as a tavern too.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Loopoo posted:

you can have a little small 3x3 room at the back and just zone that in as a tavern too.

Yup. Important to realize you can have multiple zones attached to a single "location" (eg tavern or temple), so you can split things up across hallways or whatever.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My first tavern was just this tiny little ramshackle two-story building that also acted as the airlock into my fort. I was so freaking pleased when I finally got everything working properly and people would drink and tell stories downstairs and then head upstairs to mill around; talk and sleep. We are on our way to the matrix.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Hello dorfs, can anyone recommend a mod for adventure mode or should i just play vanilla?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Back To 99 posted:

Hello dorfs, can anyone recommend a mod for adventure mode or should i just play vanilla?

Just no

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Back To 99 posted:

Masterwork adventure mode would probably be pretty fun, though I never tried it. Masterwork fortress was super fun

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Speaking of Masterwork, um

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Hooooly poo poo, it has come. Meph!!! Thank

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can necromancers visit? Because suddenly I had undead chickens.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Siljmonster posted:

Can necromancers visit? Because suddenly I had undead chickens.

Did you embark in an evil area?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurion posted:

Did you embark in an evil area?

I'm areas away from one in untamed wilds, can it spread or maybe I have a section of my map that's evil?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Well, I look forward to having no idea what half of the posts in this thread are talking about now that there's a new MW

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Greetings fellow overseers! I've not headed a fortress for quite a while, since back when trees where the same size of any dwarf. What news from the mountainhomes? What new directives must a good overseer follow?

(Translated: haven't really played since 0.34.whatever, how much of the initial progression has changed?)

e. Well sorry for missing the memo that said fun was no longer allowed, you bunch of grumps :colbert:

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 18, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Back To 99 posted:

Toiwat posted:

Greetings fellow overseers! I

Do you guys go to Ren faires? What makes people start posts like this?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Toiwat posted:

Greetings fellow overseers! I've not headed a fortress for quite a while, since back when trees where the same size of any dwarf. What news from the mountainhomes? What new directives must a good overseer follow?

(Translated: haven't really played since 0.34.whatever, how much of the initial progression has changed?)

I don't think much in terms of initial progression has changed, though you will want to get a temple setup early so your dwarves have somewhere to exercise their spiritual side.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Gibbo posted:

Who cares, yon neckbeard?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Toiwat posted:

You'll probably want to explore the revamped work orders, since now you can just set up a "make this minimum number of beds/drinks/etc" order and leave it forever from the start of the game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Here's one: avoid using the soil layers that trees are directly sitting on. Knocking down a tree that has had its founding tile hollowed out will leave a hole in the earth and the roots are a nuisance. Either start scooping out halls a little deeper or knock out the trees before you start digging.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 18, 2016

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GREETINGS FELLOW OVERSEERS!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

if SA isn't a place where we can all geek out together, then today is a sad day

I'll admit the post he made was a lil strong on the m'lady overtones, but who cares? we're playing Dwarf Fortress, the nerdiest basement dwelling game out there

now let's all stop making fun of our fellow overseer and go back to micromanaging our ASCII dwarves.

Gibbo posted:

I've never been to a ren faire but don't hate on them they look fuckin awesome

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ren faires are great, and dwarf fortress is great, running the entire fortress economy on hemp and hemp products is great, and masterwork is also great. I'll get into the new release and fill the rest of this page babbling about how great it is. Probably it'll just crash a lot though.

I really do think that crops and farming could use more depth beyond [drink:yes/no], [cook:yes/no] and some basic interactions, which perhaps could go hand in hand with a rehaul to cooking. Unfortunately I don't think cooking and farming are areas of particular interest to toady and I don't know that they should be. Outdoors activities are alien and undorfy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gibbo posted:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Look what you assholes did, you summoned penguingo. Never post anything mawkish, or if it is posted, never make note of it, and hopefully we can avoid this ever happening again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

psst

Toady One posted:

Today was going to be release day, but then SDL started fighting with the new compiler and they haven't quite stopped yet. We also had a release-mode-only world gen crash that stopped reproducing only when logs were enabled, but that might be handled now. It's a continuing process. Hopefully tomorrow!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So here's a question:

Trading, does it actually, you know, put the items out into the world? Does it affect civilizations? I know that if you trade enough tamed animals to a civ that they might start showing up in your trade screen later. But what if I were to hypothetically (assuming an infinite source of metal) make a fort that exports adamantite swords by the dozens? Will the civilization buying them eventually start equipping them on guards at their sites and carry them into battle?

Furthermore, will this actually make a difference in the world simulation? I mean, if your nation's army is decked out in steel armor, steel weaponry, and steel shields you'd think that'd give them and any adventurers that patronized the nation's stock a severe tactical edge over other nations in things like war and hunting monsters.

I ask because in many worlds the nations are a bit less under-equipped than what you can eventually get if you're dedicated to a single fort. Steel armor is loving rare in the game world. And even in mods anything over that is fairly hard to find.

I can't find anything on what trade actually affects outside of your fort on the wiki or forums.

Being able to actually make a difference in the world like that would be neat and gave me an idea to create a fort that was essentially a trade hub to other sites that had the goal of outfitting their nation with better technology. This Warhammer mod has the Empire surrounded on all sides by hostile enemies (With the dwarves cut off halfway across the world.) and no trading partners. So giving them a technological edge would make for an interesting time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Steel armour is rare? Every time the caravan always brings a bunch of steel armour, and that's without me even putting a request in. I'm sure if you put max need on steel pieces of armour, the trade caravan would bring lots the next time it came. I also noticed Traders remember how well you pay: if you ask them to bring you x item and you completely buy it out, the next time you ask for an item, they bring way more of it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Loopoo posted:

Steel armour is rare? Every time the caravan always brings a bunch of steel armour, and that's without me even putting a request in. I'm sure if you put max need on steel pieces of armour, the trade caravan would bring lots the next time it came. I also noticed Traders remember how well you pay: if you ask them to bring you x item and you completely buy it out, the next time you ask for an item, they bring way more of it.

Well, yeah. But actually seeing it in the world commonly isn't as much of a thing. The most common places I see it is in tombs and such. Though perhaps that's just bad luck with worldgen.

Doesn't really answer my main question though. I'm trying to figure out if items actually get used in the rest of the world and affect events like battles if they're traded away. Apparently the skill military tactics affects battles, but other than that I can barely find any info for this stuff on the wiki or the forums.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 20, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Archonex posted:

Well, yeah. But actually seeing it in the world commonly isn't as much of a thing. The most common places I see it is in tombs and such. Though perhaps that's just bad luck with worldgen.

Doesn't really answer my main question though. I'm trying to figure out if items actually get used in the rest of the world and affect events like battles if they're traded away. Apparently the skill military tactics affects battles, but other than that I can barely find any info for this stuff on the wiki or the forums.

I do not think trade items actually enter the rest of the world, and the opposite for incoming trade goods (they don't actually come from anywhere). The kinds of goods you can get are impacted by what the civilization has access to, so if the trading civ has access to steal (even just one ingot) they can and will bring steal items.

This is based on my experiences and very limited "testing" and could be completely wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fortunately yes, I'm pretty sure item availability for trade is based entirely on the list of objects and technologies known to the trading subject. I can only imagine the broken horror trade would become if flow of goods had to be actually tracked in any way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If your civilization doesn't have steel, and you set up a new fort somewhere that does have the necessities for steel, if you retire that fort does your civilization now have access to steel?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Masterwork update: who knows, thing crashes about once a season and really seems to hate the new buildings.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

New version is out anyways so it doesn't really matter anymore anyways. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

New version is out anyways so it doesn't really matter anymore anyways. :v:

circa about 30 minutes ago, too!!!

:frogc00l: posted:

Here's another bug-fix release. Assuming no issues crop up immediately, we'll now dive into 64-bit land for next time!

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed error deciding when patients should be moved
  • Fixed initialization problem with tools causing stone axes to be thought of as ranged
  • Stopped completed work order jobs from checking off every matching order
  • Stopped masterpiece trades in containers from triggering artwork defacement
  • Stopped storage from always failing in the second tavern/library/temple you define
  • Stopped broken crash-prone entry from appearing at the end of the stocks list

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Attackers will remove armor from unconscious opponents if it is blocking attacks
  • Made people wear more armor according to their roles again
  • Allowed new citizens with some previously site-wide occupations to be reassigned
  • Allowed some site-wide occupations for dwarves
  • Made combat damage weapon and armors depending on material differences etc.
  • Made dwarves prefer undamaged equipment during the periodic uniform upgrades
  • Allowed strong attacks/shakes to translate some force to joints and parent parts even if blocked by armor
  • Reduced clothing stopping power based on penetration depth
  • Made paper slurries stockpile-able (won't work without updated raws)
  • Fixed problem with adv mode tribute demand check
  • Fixed ghost initial positioning problem
  • Made macros save correctly even if the macro directory is deleted

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
Armor and weapons now take damage, that's just what I needed. :(

I guess now I have to make sure that I embark somewhere with iron in the ground. Metal "appropriated" from goblin invaders used to be enough to keep a squad armored but that's probably not going to be true if everyone's armor is constantly taking chip damage.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

steinrokkan posted:

Fortunately yes, I'm pretty sure item availability for trade is based entirely on the list of objects and technologies known to the trading subject. I can only imagine the broken horror trade would become if flow of goods had to be actually tracked in any way.

That would be awesome, traders arrive with nothing but dragons in cages and 1 forgotten beast that happens to breath acid that melts all the cages. Having your fortress destroyed by a trade caravan would be hilarious.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does the new update mean Dwarf therapist and graphical tilesets won't work until updated?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Masterwork update: who knows, thing crashes about once a season and really seems to hate the new buildings.

The thing that has been crashing Masterwork for me is running Stonesense. Caravans crash it and take the main DF process with it. Make sure you run large address aware on the dwarffortress.exe in your Masterwork installation, too, or you'll be lucky to get past embark.

I've gotten both the 42.06 and 43.whatever versions working fine. Currently I'm playing in a world where the dominant civilizations are the Hellfire Imps and the War Elephants (elephantmen). My dwarven civ was recently involved in the second-largest war in history when we were invaded by the Hellfire Imps over the five years before I embarked. A bustling fortress with hundreds of inhabitants was burned, the dwarven military slaughtered in their attempted counter-invasion, and the reclaimed fortress burned again. The largest war in history, however, makes the dwarf-imp war pale in comparison. A War Elephant civ descended upon the elves forty years ago in a ruinous rage, pillaging 95 settlements (plenty of repeats, I'm guessing) and killing a total of 4541 creatures over the course of seven years. Only 174 War Elephants died in the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

PassingPie posted:

Armor and weapons now take damage, that's just what I needed. :(

I guess now I have to make sure that I embark somewhere with iron in the ground. Metal "appropriated" from goblin invaders used to be enough to keep a squad armored but that's probably not going to be true if everyone's armor is constantly taking chip damage.

It'll add a couple steps to the process, but you should still be able to melt it down and reforge it all new.