Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

YeahTubaMike posted:

Every time I hear the beginning of the Kars 4 Kids jingle, I mute my television. It's so loving annoying that I don't know/have forgotten what the product actually is (probably not tiny automobiles that children can drive).

donate your kid today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is a competing car donation place that runs adds in the DC metro area that calls out that annoying jingle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Every time I hear the beginning of the Kars 4 Kids jingle, I mute my television. It's so loving annoying that I don't know/have forgotten what the product actually is (probably not tiny automobiles that children can drive).

It's an Orthodox Jewish outreach program.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/Attack/status/743630608132251650

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'd guess it's like Cash 4 Gold. Mail in your toddler and they'll send you a car.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

AstroBravo posted:

For a more relevant contribution, I read a pretty interesting article the other day about Facebook's attempted push into India, which culminated in a disaster of a PR push.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/12/facebook-free-basics-india-zuckerberg

I know this is from a month ago now, but this was a really fascinating read. I can't believe how obvious they'd gotten with their poo poo by the end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I feel like this needs a hell of a lot more context.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What do you need? He found out he had herpes after one test and is now definitely ready to gently caress other herpes havers. I think he seems very brave to embrace his lesions.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpacePig posted:

I know this is from a month ago now, but this was a really fascinating read. I can't believe how obvious they'd gotten with their poo poo by the end.

I think the "hey, in the U.S., they change Facebook, people bitch, then accept it, so he thought it would work in India, too" point hit the nail on the head.

It's sad that after not achieving total digital domination of a country of a billion+ people on his first try, rather than settle for something like a charity project to help the millions without Internet access get online, he just packed his toys up and went to China. I'd call him a turd, but he's currently pissing off the GOP mad style over something so ridiculously stupid that it's nearly unbelievable, so I'll cut him some slack.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The Lone Badger posted:

I'd guess it's like Cash 4 Gold. Mail in your toddler and they'll send you a car.

According to wikipedia, they take your car and use it to yell at Jews to be more Jewish.

That, and auction off cars that kids died in. For charity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SpacePig posted:

quote:

Last year, when a local boy used the internet to buy a used motorcycle, astonished villagers called him an online shopping hero.

No one ever calls me an online shopping hero.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

...he's currently pissing off the GOP mad style over something so ridiculously stupid that it's nearly unbelievable, so I'll cut him some slack.

What's this about? Not the Facebook "liberal bias" thing still?

Phlegmish posted:

No one ever calls me an online shopping hero.

Have you purchased a motorcycle online? Because that sounds pretty cool, but also incredibly specific to what an online shopping hero might do.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When I use the PC for Pandora, it sometimes wallpapers the whole screen with adds. One has tons of nice ladies on it for a dating service. I recognize one of the pictures as one of the victims of a local road rage incident that happened a year or two ago. Thankfully she wasn't harmed, but if the advertisers used her photo, it makes me wonder how many of those other photos came from a missing persons alert or worse. Yeah, here's a pic of Debbie, and while she was found dead and her husband is now facing trial, we've got a oujia board and she tells us that she's ready to love again!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it makes you feel better that photo came from paying some GAF a tenth of a penny apiece to find photos of women from a targeted geographic area.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dunelm ad campaign seems a little off - I just saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yj7dj2U_oE, but there's also this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nlhQLKARU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think the "hey, in the U.S., they change Facebook, people bitch, then accept it, so he thought it would work in India, too" point hit the nail on the head.

It's sad that after not achieving total digital domination of a country of a billion+ people on his first try, rather than settle for something like a charity project to help the millions without Internet access get online, he just packed his toys up and went to China. I'd call him a turd, but he's currently pissing off the GOP mad style over something so ridiculously stupid that it's nearly unbelievable, so I'll cut him some slack.

Mark Fuckerberg

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Bast Relief posted:

When I use the PC for Pandora, it sometimes wallpapers the whole screen with adds. One has tons of nice ladies on it for a dating service. I recognize one of the pictures as one of the victims of a local road rage incident that happened a year or two ago. Thankfully she wasn't harmed, but if the advertisers used her photo, it makes me wonder how many of those other photos came from a missing persons alert or worse. Yeah, here's a pic of Debbie, and while she was found dead and her husband is now facing trial, we've got a oujia board and she tells us that she's ready to love again!

there was a high profile case of a teenager here who killed herself after being sexually assaulted and her picture was all over the news.

some dating site decided it would be great to put in an ad!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

What do you need? He found out he had herpes after one test and is now definitely ready to gently caress other herpes havers. I think he seems very brave to embrace his lesions.

"I'm famous, I have loads of $$$, and I'm 100% honest about my sexual condition" is better then 99% of the options available, so he'll probably be just fine. He'll never be able to convince a girl that he doesn't need a condom, but that's really better for both parties.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just all of this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiLKoMyFDOWWjWt1U_3svpTvyk7V8x6er

I can't find the actual ads that play on other YouTube videos, but the gist of them is that "loaded fries" means chips and gravy, and that it's somehow British? And if you click the link on the ads you get that playlist.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shh, nobody tell them.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Right next to my gym is an optometrist's office, and they recently put up a Ray Ban ad in their window. The ad features a woman punching a life-size Barbie doll and the words "Envoyez la perfection au tapis" ("Punch out perfection") over it. I'm pretty sure the message is supposed to be an empowering "be yourself, gently caress traditional beauty standards", except that the model is a thin, super attractive young girl with perfectly feathered hair, photoshopped skin and 300$ sunglasses.

Faux edit: Found it! :

Finding it, I also learned that it's part of a series and the others aren't as bad, and also that the campaign has been on since March and nobody's complaining, so I guess it wasn't such a dumb move. It's still not very highly regarded at my gym.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
If marketing includes window displays/signage, I've got one I saw today. Driving up the highway I saw a large-ish building that kind of looked like it could have been a car dealership at some point. Then I saw the name of the place in the window- "SPORT SCARE." I realized quickly enough that the place is supposed to be "Sports Care," but it was broken up over two large-ish windows that were separated by a prominent break, and apparently whoever designed it or put it up wanted them to be exactly the same number of letters on each side, rather than put them above and below each other, or put more letters on one side and a graphic on the other, or just arrange it so that that break fell between any other pair of letters.

I don't know if it's a gym or a physical therapy place or what. I'm just impressed that nobody at any point looked at that building from far enough away to see how that looks.

It's a pretty big place, too, it's not like a little mom-and-pop place where weirdly spaced lettering is part of the local charm.

fuckin breeders man
Mar 21, 2007
Having Norm MacDonald advertise your product might be a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CordlessPen posted:

Right next to my gym is an optometrist's office, and they recently put up a Ray Ban ad in their window. The ad features a woman punching a life-size Barbie doll and the words "Envoyez la perfection au tapis" ("Punch out perfection") over it. I'm pretty sure the message is supposed to be an empowering "be yourself, gently caress traditional beauty standards", except that the model is a thin, super attractive young girl with perfectly feathered hair, photoshopped skin and 300$ sunglasses.

Faux edit: Found it! :

Finding it, I also learned that it's part of a series and the others aren't as bad, and also that the campaign has been on since March and nobody's complaining, so I guess it wasn't such a dumb move. It's still not very highly regarded at my gym.
I feel like this might be silly, but the way they italicize "takes" in #ittakescourage makes it sound like to fight perfection you're going to lose courage. Why not emphasize courage instead?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cage posted:

I feel like this might be silly, but the way they italicize "takes" in #ittakescourage makes it sound like to fight perfection you're going to lose courage. Why not emphasize courage instead?

Maybe to delineate the words? :shrug: The better solution would be for the marketing industry to not totally replace the concept of a tagline with goddamn hashtags but what are you gonna do. /:corsair:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Solid Oak Acorn posted:

Having Norm MacDonald advertise your product might be a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

Oh man, I remember that show. IIRC, it did actually improve their sales. I guess fans were buying them ironically or something?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh man, I remember that show. IIRC, it did actually improve their sales. I guess fans were buying them ironically or something?

I mean, "no such thing as bad press" and all that. Even if he made it seem ridiculous, he read every point they asked him to, and it probably still appealed to some people by just that. It's not a thing I had heard of before Norm, so even if it's stupid, I still know what it is now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

I mean, "no such thing as bad press" and all that. Even if he made it seem ridiculous, he read every point they asked him to, and it probably still appealed to some people by just that. It's not a thing I had heard of before Norm, so even if it's stupid, I still know what it is now.

I like the look of the actual product but I refuse to buy anything that's marketed as "man poo poo" in that way, so the spot didn't hurt their chances with me at least.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Karma Monkey posted:

I think a similar thing happened in this scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNe1i20yA4c

It got a lot of attention on Twitter so the company rolled with it. It probably worked out in their favor since this is a case of the show/podcast not really meshing with the product.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Jul 6, 2016

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

I think a similar thing happened in this scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNe1i20yA4c

It got a lot of attention on Twitter so the company rolled with it. It probably worked out in their favor since this is a case of the show/podcast not really meshing with the product.

That's what I was gonna reply to the Norm MacDonald this with. Bill Burr and Norm MacDonald are both hilarious. I actually did buy sherries berries for someone once so the advertising did work. I was told that the berries were in fact, very delicious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The freeform license affiliated podcasts and liveshows get is the sort of advertising where everybody wins. They normally get views or sales for the merchant (though maybe not for the "they totally trust the speakers as brand ambassadors" that the advertisers try to convince the merchant is happening), and generally include a laugh for anybody not in the target demographic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
A little while back (and again now, it seems like), the Earwolf network had Lootcrate as a sponsor. I already had my opinions of it going in, but hearing Scott Aukerman trying to make it sound appealing was a real treat. Even better, though, was Paul F Tompkins being baffled by it, almost to the point of open contempt. I really like ads where the presenter knows how bad they are.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I like listening to podcasts that are entirely listener supported thanks to Patreon because them making fun of Squarespace et al and the way other podcasts shill for them is always way funnier than someone trying to be snarky while reading ad copy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SpacePig posted:

A little while back (and again now, it seems like), the Earwolf network had Lootcrate as a sponsor. I already had my opinions of it going in, but hearing Scott Aukerman trying to make it sound appealing was a real treat. Even better, though, was Paul F Tompkins being baffled by it, almost to the point of open contempt. I really like ads where the presenter knows how bad they are.

My husband just got a Lootcrate from his employer for being employee of the month. It's the dumbest poo poo ever. We both took one look at it and said, "Well, there's always eBay."

Cheap-rear end bastards.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

My husband just got a Lootcrate from his employer for being employee of the month. It's the dumbest poo poo ever. We both took one look at it and said, "Well, there's always eBay."

Cheap-rear end bastards.

"Now, we know you're upset that we're forgoing the Christmas bonuses this year, but we feel this Fantasy Edition of LootcrateŽ will be the only gift you need this holiday:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PlypCTMEA&t=122s

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

FutonForensic posted:

"Now, we know you're upset that we're forgoing the Christmas bonuses this year, but we feel this Fantasy Edition of LootcrateŽ will be the only gift you need this holiday:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PlypCTMEA&t=122s

Haha, I knew exactly what that was going to be before I even clicked on it. Christ, that was bad. There was also an April Fools Day follow-up to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXiTVBVNPyE&t=66s
They (technically) pay this guy to unbox these and make them look appealing, and every month it's just absolutely garbage. They're arguably getting a bit better, but it's still spending however much to get a dumb Funco Pop thing and a roll-of-the-die set of things otherwise.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
subscribe to loot crate and get a bunch of trash from the hot topic dumpster

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My husband got some post-apocalyptic wasteland 'Crate. His boss tried to make it seem relevant by talking about how my husband's homeland of Australia is practically a post-apocalyptic wasteland already. Problem is, my husband's from New Zealand. Also, he doesn't play video games and hasn't even heard of 90 percent of the poo poo in this box.

Any takers?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what kind of boss buys you stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpacePig posted:

Hahaha, they got Shaq to do a lootcrate spot and it was pretty awkward. He really tried to act all excited but you can tell Shaq didn't give a gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxAx9T11pk

They even fake it like he's just hanging out. "Hmm, bills, bills, bills, OH man LOOT CRATE! I'VE GOT THE POWERRRRRR"

Yes Shaq, Hulk totally had the power.

Even in the ad though, he gets a bunch of poo poo. There's an oven mitt that doesn't even fit him and a hulk bobblehead. Big whoop.

Hirayuki posted:

Cheap-rear end bastards.

I don't know how people fall for it. I guess they do a good job making it sound like you're gonna get great gifts. But its very blatantly a service to offload cheap toys that didn't sell for pennies.

Its like BigLots or Overstock.com, except you don't even get to pick what you buy. Lol.