Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
CQB is a mug's game and always seems to happen about a turn after it needs to happen.

As long as we are using A6 buildings I shall continue my hatred of fighting with infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

If you put enough of them in one place you will eventually out roll your opponent!
yeah this is basically what I'm doing now. I've started taking a full squad in a Condor sharing with a Flak Team to search for objectives and cockblock flyers getting near and flattening every other nearby structure with Katanas. Seems to be working well and will be better Flaks getting buffed in the next book.

I might have to colour co-ord the bases of my Legionnaires though as I'm about to finish painting them all and it's a fuckin mass of dudes.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 17, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Incy posted:

CQB is a mug's game and always seems to happen about a turn after it needs to happen.

As long as we are using A6 buildings I shall continue my hatred of fighting with infantry.

I find it's timing, if you plan ahead you can get some really good decisive CQB results.

Infantry are pretty neat I like how they have a good niche in the game

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Flipswitch posted:

yeah this is basically what I'm doing now. I've started taking a full squad in a Condor sharing with a Flak Team to search for objectives and cockblock flyers getting near and flattening every other nearby structure with Katanas. Seems to be working well and will be better Flaks getting buffed in the next book.

I might have to colour co-ord the bases of my Legionnaires though as I'm about to finish painting them all and it's a fuckin mass of dudes.

6 bases of legionaries is a nice 6 rocket and 6 AA shots, which is their number 1 strength.

That and being the guys who die in droves to make the film look good.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Legionaries: making getting torn apart by Eviscerators look good since 2015!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I had no idea what those little fuckers did until they sauntered into a building with my Hazards in it.

My Hazards didn't walk out so I shot down their transport and forgot about them, but gently caress me they were evil. Not as horrifying as Destroyers though maybe.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Flame weapons/ Chem rounds from the ATV good?

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I've been wanting to expand my UCM starter force with a few blisters. Does this seem like a good 999pt-level Skirmish force?

"Fighting" Ferrum Fifth Legion
Skirmish: 993/999 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [993/999 pts]
    • Field Command [168 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
    • Armored Formation [328 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor(+Missile Pods) [152 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [229 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor(+Missile Pods), 2x Bear [151 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [268 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [132 pts]
      • Praetorian Snipers: 3x Praetorian Snipers, Raven A [136 pts]

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Might be a bit infantry heavy for 1000pts? I haven't played much at that level and not in ages. Dunno if you could drop a squad of legionaries and get something else in there to give you more AT maybe?

On a semi related note, anyone in the UK thinking about going to the OB Critical Engagement tournament on the 9th (a week on Saturday)? Its a 1 day event with 4 games at 1000pts. Sounds interesting...

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I'm going. Still no idea what my list will be, it seems to be a very anti demo set of scenarios so will likely be infantry heavy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ugleb posted:

Might be a bit infantry heavy for 1000pts? I haven't played much at that level and not in ages. Dunno if you could drop a squad of legionaries and get something else in there to give you more AT maybe?

Either more AT or maybe some scouts. That Kodiak could be all the AT you need if you can get good scouting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

On a semi related note, anyone in the UK thinking about going to the OB Critical Engagement tournament on the 9th (a week on Saturday)? Its a 1 day event with 4 games at 1000pts. Sounds interesting...
July?

I'd be tempted to chin off the raven. Snipers have infiltrate! Gives some more points to play with.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah 9th July.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I'm working, i'll see if I can bail out of this exercise and make it down.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well that's me and Grey Hunter signed up for Critical Engagement. Now I'm staring at FFoR and trying to figure out a decent PHR list!

Looks like I'm leaving the Athena's and Type-4's in the hangar, which pains me. The Athena is 13.5% of my 1,000 points, which stings. The Type-4's don't seem all that well suited to the scenario's unless I also take transports which makes them hugely expensive at this level. Plus, the opposition will have a third less stuff on the board which probably means fewer targets to shoot at and justify their cost. Hmm.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is what I'm thinking so far.

quote:

Critical Engagement 2016
Clash: 998/1000 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]
    • Field Command [309 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
      • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [106 pts]
    • Armored Formation [308 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [234 pts]
      • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A [98 pts]
      • Praetorian Snipers: 3x Praetorian Snipers, Raven A [136 pts]
    • Air Wing [67 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

I'm a little worried its a bit infantry heavy - I could remove a haz team, drop the commander to CV2 and get some another Sabre squad - or an eagle, or some Falcons.

I'm just not sure!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Anyone else have the feeling this may be a more infantry heavy meta?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's some pretty good infantry worth taking, I mean from UCM, Hazards & Snipers are pretty good, not to mention Flaks are about to get buffed which makes them pretty handy too. Praetorians I still flinch at the cost but I like taking them. I think more troops (and maybe a shift towards hardened) buildings makes them pretty worth taking.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So, how ridiculous is my thinking then?

quote:

Clash: 999/1000 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [999/1000 pts]
    • Hand of the Sphere [210 pts]
      • Command Squad: Zeus(War Advisor), Hyperion, Neptune [210 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [284 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Ares, Neptune [124 pts]
      • Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
    • Immortals [211 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
      • Erebos Squad: 2x Erebos-B, Neptune [110 pts]
    • Immortals [101 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
    • Pegasus Group [119 pts]
      • Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1 [119 pts]
    • Pegasus Group [74 pts]
      • Janus Squad: 2x Janus, Triton A2(+Stealth Missiles) [74 pts]

That's a CV2 commander in there.

The Erebos-B's I see as a means of both dealing with numerous low armour swarm targets like technicals or Prowlers (as they gained strafe in the recent errata) and with their (now stacking) ECM effect I'm thinking they could mitigate a fair chunk of the enemy firepower at this level. They may also make decent DP chippers for going up against Medusa or Freeriders, but AT they 'aint.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to include a Medusa without skimping hard(er) on AA or Infantry, 140pts for Medusa + Triton-X is hard to find! I may still be a bit weak at CQB and my AA cover feels fragile here. Immortals do at least have Small Arms so I guess there is a bit of emergency dropship popping ability there.

I do feel like two squads of Helios is the way to go here for versatility, but as I only have one set that won't be happening!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I got an email that apparently the pledge manager will still let me add things to my pledge. I'm tempted to add a couple things (especially with the exchange rate bonus I'd get) but I'm worried about delaying shipment.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

wdarkk posted:

So I got an email that apparently the pledge manager will still let me add things to my pledge. I'm tempted to add a couple things (especially with the exchange rate bonus I'd get) but I'm worried about delaying shipment.

If you go to the manager it appears to still be closed, so I have no idea why this email (two of them, actually) was sent.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Not for me it wasn't. I was able to go back and add in a set of city tokens.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Big Dropzone news if you haven't seen the new Dave interview on Beasts of War. Phase 2 book will be out at the end of this month and there are indeed previously unrevealed units in there.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I watched that yesterday at work :v:
Definitely a pleasant surprise and im really looking forward to the general Broadsword rules since the model is awesome and i'm already thinking way too much about how to make a better hinge for the two halves.

Plus i'm tempted to wait and see hiw the Red Vengeance looks before getting a Phoenix since theres no way i need two of those.

My Ravens/Falcons still sit half painted on my desk, i hope i can finish them up sometime soon.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Hera as a standard command choice is pretty cool. It's very different to the existing choices, which is nice.

The famous commander with Poseidon sized railguns sounds awesome but yeah, I don't see myself getting much use out of it. The Njord on the other hand...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EverettLO posted:

If you go to the manager it appears to still be closed, so I have no idea why this email (two of them, actually) was sent.

Clicking the link once you're already logged gives you the reason

quote:

Add To Previous Order

Free!

Hi Backers

If you’ve arrived here after receiving an email this morning, we’re sorry but, as we near shipping, the Add to Previous order option has been disabled. This email was sent out in error by engineers working on the pledgemanager.

If you’d like to check your exiting order at any point you can view it on the My Orders page.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I am going to critical engagement and only have three light gates in 1000pts. How bad an idea is this?

Painting requirements are the devils rules.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How much are you hosed when they all get shot down? Light gates aren't hard to take down. :v:

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
We are playing some weird scenarios with a bunch of points from mid game focal points. All I need to do is demolish all of the buildings with objectives in them and I am fine.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's if the focal points are in buildings......

1000 points really gets you questioning your list building. I'm looking forward to it though!
I just need to do the rims on my Praetorian Sniper bases before Saturday....

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reconquest II sounds pretty awesome. Yeah, most of the new units have been beta tested for a while at this point so we know what's coming, but it sounds like there's some cool new things we haven't seen yet. The new characters sound solid too even if they won't see much use. Their unique vehicles tend to become regular variants eventually anyways. I've got six Apollos so I'm excited about a generic Hera if nothing else. That model's fantastic. All of the environmental stuff sounded interesting too even if it's just for goofy poo poo. The fauna/monsters are even going to get models.

I am also interested in the railgun Poseidon because if that thing becomes a generic variant :getin: Yeah, it's basically a heavier PHR version of the UCM's Eagle, but I love that thing. Gimme gunships.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If the flying battleship that is a railgun masquerading as a Poseidon turns into a regular unit, then I may end up with three Poseidons! :D I suspect it won't though as the Poseidon hull is already used in two regular units now.

Very interested in those fauna actually, might be nice little painting projects if the pack is reasonably priced. It's nice to see Hawk trying to expand the game more outside of the tournament scene, it gives the game more breadth and diversity.

Speaking of, did you guys see the thing about the Dropfleet prelaunch event having a narrative battle using both games? I have no idea how that is going to work but it sounded cool!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
We did not see this thing! Got a link?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

We did not see this thing! Got a link?

Here ye go.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/dropzone-commander/reconquest-phase-ii/

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The edgelord who posts Nazi-themed units in the Facebook group is back.

Since he's not going to gently caress off out of that community, I think I will instead.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Since he's not going to gently caress off out of that community, I think I will instead.

Yeah, he's not going anywhere - I had a couple of hours of PMs before blocking him and quitting the group.

He isn't capable of the empathy to see why it's upsetting - painting units in the Glorious colours of the forces that killed a relative of mine in the war.
And Freedom of Speech applies to being an arsehole, but not to objecting to it.
He also has a fetish for SS-uniforms and WWII guns (Of Course he's a gun nut as well).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I like beasts of war in general, but I can't listen to Warren for more than a couple of seconds. I just can't get into it.

But I already know one guy who has both systems, so I will totally be up for any campaign thingie that takes place. Too bad I only have UCM and the starter set of scourge for Dropzone though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If you have been listening to recent weekenders and noticed Warren getting a little irritated about being called out for off topic rambling; you are welcome. ;) I mostly like the guy but sometimes he needs to take a step back and let other people talk.

In other news, attended Critical Engagement today. The 1000 point format went really well! It shoved everyone outside of their comfort zones and forced them to think differently.

My highlight game was playing Inci, it was the only game I actually got to play all the way through for one thing! It was a good hard fought battle that could have swung a couple of times. I almost succeeded at shooting down all his gates, he won the CQB's.

Probably the most memorable though was the game where my opponent insisted on conceding at the end of turn 4, which was kinda awkward. He was visibly tired before we started and told me he probably would have not turned up if his mate hadn't twisted his arm. He wanted to just write it off as 20-0 in turn 3 but I didn't want to put down a 'fake' result in case it actually mattered. Ended up being a 19-1 and probably would have been 20-0 if we had actually played it out and I could have scored more kill points. Oh well.

Other than that and a lot of procrastination I had fun. Finished 10th of 24 I think it was.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well done buddy, sounds like you had a good time.

Also for UK Goons, down here in Firestorm Games we have a Dropfleet day on the 20th of August for those who can come down. Should be well worth it!

Loxbourne posted:

The really shaky decals hes painting on is hilarious, like man use some masking tape or some poo poo if you're gonna paint the Iron Cross.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I finally found and joined a dropzone group on Facebook and immediately found that guy. Kind of amusing to see people talking about modern german army (so its presumably fine) while the guy who posted it is specifically referencing ww2 himself.

I'm quite interested in that Dropfleet event but not sure if I'll make it.

One thing that did very unofficially come out of critical engagement was that there is still a lot for Hawk to do so delivery might slip a couple of weeks into August. Which means the chance of getting anything painted in time for that event is basically nill. :(