Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
That there's stickers for the enemies that gave you Beetle and Bell was a nice gesture at least. They know you're missing those abilities but they were just too OP for this world, Beetle especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This game is awesome, I wasn't sure about the robot at first but it's really fun to play with. I like gimmicks that don't really hinder Kirby's normal abilities that much (which is why Epic Yarn is my favorite non-standard Kirby game as it's the closest in feel to a normal platformer).

I also like that they brought back obscure bosses like Pix(The 3 prisms from the 2nd world of Kirby 64, which served as the base form of the hologram machine in the 2nd world of this one). I haven't unlocked it yet but out of curiousity, are there save points in the Meta Knight mode like there were in Dedede Tour or do you have to do it all in one sitting?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Larryb posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet but out of curiousity, are there save points in the Meta Knight mode like there were in Dedede Tour or do you have to do it all in one sitting?

There are, don't worry. Also unlike Dedede Tour, the EX levels are tackled within their respective worlds instead of being packed all at the very end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

This game is awesome, I wasn't sure about the robot at first but it's really fun to play with. I also like that they brought back obscure bosses like PIX(The 3 prisms from the 2nd world of Kirby 64, which served as the base form of the hologram machine in the 2nd world of this one). I haven't unlocked it yet but out of curiousity, are there save points in the Meta Knight mode like there were in Dedede Tour or do you have to do it all in one sitting?

you get a save spot about halfway through the level, and a second save point after beating the boss and before starting the next world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

you get a save spot about halfway through the level, and a second save point after beating the boss and before starting the next world.

So it's pretty much just like Triple Deluxe did it then, good to know. I kind of like this new way they're handling EX Mode in Kirby games now, play a slightly shorter version of the same game only with a new character that has most of the benefits of the various powers roled into one, bosses have slightly different attacks, and a new final boss at the end.

I hope they keep this up (and if they follow the pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game had a Waddle Dee mode for it's second playthrough).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I love that Kirby of all series is one where you can have a serious discussion about invincibility frames and DPS. Like you've got fighting games, the Dark Souls series, and then also Kirby.

Ever since Super Star, there's always been a bit of a fighting game ethos to the way Kirby is designed. The Super Star team would go on to make Super Smash Bros, and the DNA of the two series' has been intertwined ever since.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Dropping in to say I got Triple Deluxe on a whim the other day and am having a great time. It's not a difficult game, but it's so full of joy it's hard not to have fun. Will def check out Robobot once I finish this one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently Susie's line about teaching the old man a lesson was "wake him up" instead in the Japanese version. Her plan to drag Haltmann back from the deep end instead backfired horribly for the both of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice to see Fighter is just as broken here as it was in Return to Dreamland (if you abuse the uppercut and down kick moves you can tear through the Arena pretty easily).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Got to the final final part of the True Arena. The fact that it's basically Heart of Nova but on foot is hilarious and incredible. But I had only one hit left when I got there so I didn't last very long at all. Need to learn how to get past Star Dream a bit more reliably.

By the way, I have a bit of speculation of my own. It may be dumb, but bear with me.

I really do think that Star Dream and Nova are one and the same. Yes, it's true that there are multiple wish-granting supercomputers throughout the world, as stated before. However, consider that Star Dream first appears as a cylindrical machine-type thing. It's only after it merges with the Access Ark that it gets that spherical form that results in the Nova-looking machine. I refuse to believe that every single "Star Dream" that exists has undergone this process. It's also why I think the various objects it summons are actually related to it, and not just a "haha remember?" moment. Just spitballing here, but I think my reasoning is sound.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nova blew the gently caress up in Super Star, but it came back just fine as soon as more star essences were gathered. It's presumably still around, so there's no way it could be Star Dream. Besides, you misunderstand what's going on with the final boss. Haltman found a random Clockwork Star somewhere, and pretty much extracted its core to create Star Dream. Further study enabled them to activate it, and with it they were able to fly around with the main body as a big old spaceship.

More importantly, at no point does Star Dream ever go READY. Planet Robobot is filled with callbacks, you think they'd forget that one?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah, and people are holding the weather vane/telescope/etc as proof that it's Nova, but I feel like all Clockwork Stars might have these accessories, Nova just happens to be an older model so it's doodads are fused to its outer shell instead of being called out of a pocket dimension like the newer sleeker models have. Besides, Nova was classic gold and Star Dream is imac white.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BlitzBlast posted:

Nova blew the gently caress up in Super Star, but it came back just fine as soon as more star essences were gathered. It's presumably still around, so there's no way it could be Star Dream. Besides, you misunderstand what's going on with the final boss. Haltman found a random Clockwork Star somewhere, and pretty much extracted its core to create Star Dream. Further study enabled them to activate it, and with it they were able to fly around with the main body as a big old spaceship.

More importantly, at no point does Star Dream ever go READY. Planet Robobot is filled with callbacks, you think they'd forget that one?

Star Dream says "READY -> GO>" in Meta Knightmare Returns in the Japanese version.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It also turns out that Cutter also has a high amount of DPS if you really know how to use it, as this True Arena speedrun shows.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh man that True Arena run I just finished for the first time was intense. I'd say it was on my first try but I had a bunch of false starts in the beginning during the first few bosses with powers I didn't like using and sat through a bunch of various runs until I settled on the Archer. It was pretty smooth sailing until the final boss, where I literally had like three hit points left due to the fact that there wasn't any sort of break between the three-part on-rails boss preceding it. I ended up using three amiibo. Shovel Knight, who healed me but gave me Wheel, Marth and then Hammer Time Bowser who let me take the stony way to victory. Thankfully I knew about the off-waves ahead of time. Just had to lay low once, twice, and then a simple jump to the middle.

The Jukebox doesn't get a star even after 100% completion right? 162 songs is the total?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Star Dream says "READY -> GO>" in Meta Knightmare Returns in the Japanese version.

Oh, well then. :v:

I'm actually glad to hear that, I thought it was really weird they had this big reference without that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So it's the third wave that instagibs? Cause I got hit by the first one and while it was a sizeable amount of damage, it was nothing a better healed me couldn't have dealed with. Last one got me though. Does it just hit through everything? You couldn't theoretically get hit by the second one and invulnerable through it or something? I just want to know since I was really proud of my last performance and don't want to screw up twice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

So it's the third wave that instagibs? Cause I got hit by the first one and while it was a sizeable amount of damage, it was nothing a better healed me couldn't have dealed with. Last one got me though. Does it just hit through everything? You couldn't theoretically get hit by the second one and invulnerable through it or something? I just want to know since I was really proud of my last performance and don't want to screw up twice.

The waves deal all of Kirby's HP minus like one pixel. At least the third one does. It's not too hard to dodge. ESP's dash can avoid it. The invincibility frames from swallowing a copy ability can avoid it, since that has the absolute highest priority. Archer's crouch, Leaf Guard, and Stone will still get hit by it, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also you could just jump.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My favourite bit of Kirby lore is that Kirby is cute.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I'm introducing a friend of mine to Kirby via Kirby Super Star. She's gonna love the game, so, what should I send her to next?

She got Super Star and not Ultra because it's on VC, so anything on a Virtual Console or an eShop is free game, basically.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Senerio posted:

So I'm introducing a friend of mine to Kirby via Kirby Super Star. She's gonna love the game, so, what should I send her to next?

She got Super Star and not Ultra because it's on VC, so anything on a Virtual Console or an eShop is free game, basically.

Amazing Mirror

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Senerio posted:

Dream Land 2 for 3DS VC and Dream Land 3 for Wii U VC are both great even if they only offer one move for each ability. Really, every Kirby platformer is a good time, but I would recommend those two.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dark Matter trilogy (DL2/DL3/64) works. Just make sure you let her know they're slower games. Especially 64.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Nice, it reminds me of the strongest damaging ability in super star: helper TAC.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dark Matter trilogy (DL2/DL3/64) works. Just make sure you let her know they're slower games. Especially 64.

Man I'd love to see Zero back. Swordsman Dark Matter on this one blew my mind.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll start her on the Dark Matter Trilogy once she finishes Super Star, then I'll get her to the GBA games. If she manages to convince her husband, should I recommend Yarn or Return as a co-op game first? I think Yarn would be 100% her poo poo (she loved the aesthetic of Woolly World so much that I was shocked when she told me she never played a Kirby), but Return has powers...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe and this are the 3 best games

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah but since she said she really enjoyed Wool Yoshi I guess Epic Yarn wouldn't hurt either.

Man this series just has the tightest boss fights mechanics, for a platformer. 3Deluxe's only mediocre boss was Pyribbit IMO, Fighting Kirby Bosses is just a delight. Plus HAL just puts so much effort in special animations and mood, like the only game that keeps topping itself up in the final bosses like Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe is The Wonderful 101.

I love Kirby so drat much

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just beat Story mode, what a fun game. The final boss was pretty metal. I need to go back to Triple Deluxe, I beat World 1 and just never picked it up again for no real reason.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you unlock the True Arena? Do I need to complete (or 100%) Meta Knight's adventure?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Zaphiel posted:

How do you unlock the True Arena? Do I need to complete (or 100%) Meta Knight's adventure?

Yeah, since almost every boss from it is in fact from that part of the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

Just complete the Meta Knight mode and it unlocks automatically.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You also have to beat the normal arena but that should be a given.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone! I've already beaten the regular arena and was kinda hoping it would unlock the true arena if I got gold. Time for another crack at Meta Knight!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

You still get Amiibo Shamed in the Arena even if you just use it in the ability room so you can tear through it with the Bandana Dee costume for Parasol >:(

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nerdbot posted:

You still get Amiibo Shamed in the Arena even if you just use it in the ability room so you can tear through it with the Bandana Dee costume for Parasol >:(

I'm sad Smash and UFO aren't in there normally, or even in some hidden compartment.

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Bought this a couple of days ago, what an amazing game! keep on losing to the final fight in the true arena, when I got the final stage of the final boss to no hp I put the DS down and died to its final move D:

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

The Bee posted:

I'm sad Smash and UFO aren't in there normally, or even in some hidden compartment.

they don't even show up at 100%?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

Is it even possible to get those abilities in the normal game without using an Amiibo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

Is it even possible to get those abilities in the normal game without using an Amiibo?

Yes. Smash is hidden in a couple of levels while UFO can be obtained from the copy testing area when you achieve 100% completion.

• Locked thread