Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Visidan posted:

Pretty sure no one from goon or sfd has even beaten ascalonian catacombs yet.

It's true, I remember that youtube of Arus dying in the trap hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
2nd fight is a lil buggy, talked to a dev about it they're still working hard on it so keep whining it motivates them.

Dev also refused to comment on something xushin told us so this xushin news is 100% concrete and confirmed.

Crystal Desert, Expansion, September. It's happening

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Lonk posted:

It's true, I remember that youtube of Arus dying in the trap hallway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOkYs7rhng

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Dreggon posted:

what does the new mastery help with in that part?
It enables you to use the fountains to reduce your madness stacks. It's not essential, but it gives you a lot more leeway in terms of time.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dreggon posted:

fat ghosts (kes named them, it rules) at a soccer match

if this is my only lasting contribution to goon GW2 I'm alright with that

(that and mapchat)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Visidan posted:

2nd fight is a lil buggy, talked to a dev about it they're still working hard on it so keep whining it motivates them.

Dev also refused to comment on something xushin told us so this xushin news is 100% concrete and confirmed.

Crystal Desert, Expansion, September. It's happening

You've got a dev's ear?
Why boob armor?
Why butt capes?
Why trench coats?

Why, Anet? Why?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm sitting here about to boost my Elementalist to 80, but I'm being nervous and stupid because it's the only one I get and I feel like I have to make it right. I came back for WvW mostly, but there's a lot of stuff I've never done in the game. Are any particular classes considered super bad or very required for various pve things or pvp things? I'm just fretting over making the wrong decision now. :ohdear:

Also is there a gw2 discord, or just the irc channel?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Next April Fool's Day prank revealed: everyone gets boobs. All races, all genders. Boobs.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
drat boobs, ruining my video games!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm sitting here about to boost my Elementalist to 80, but I'm being nervous and stupid because it's the only one I get and I feel like I have to make it right. I came back for WvW mostly, but there's a lot of stuff I've never done in the game. Are any particular classes considered super bad or very required for various pve things or pvp things? I'm just fretting over making the wrong decision now. :ohdear:

I've had a love/hate relationship with my ele since day 1, but that's because i mostly do open world events and such. Ele's do great dps and have utility, so you never have to worry that you won't be useful for a group. People will tell you they are amazing, but look around and you won't see many of them because people play them as their alts for instances. I believe they are good for both modes of pvp though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Eltoasto posted:

I've had a love/hate relationship with my ele since day 1, but that's because i mostly do open world events and such. Ele's do great dps and have utility, so you never have to worry that you won't be useful for a group. People will tell you they are amazing, but look around and you won't see many of them because people play them as their alts for instances. I believe they are good for both modes of pvp though.

What makes them relegated to alts for instances? I love how varied their kit is.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Tsurupettan posted:

What makes them relegated to alts for instances? I love how varied their kit is.

What i meant to say is that people will talk about how great they are, but they will use other classes for world completion and other stuff. Ele's are flimsy and there's not much you can do about that, they do have nice variety in skills though.

Anyone know what medium pants these are?

Also anyone know WHAT'S MAKING THAT HORSE NOISE?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Tsurupettan posted:

Maybe it's a lot of people's second favourite class, they just love another class more. I reckon they're great personally, but my opinion doesn't matter as I'm like L30 :V

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

In terms of open world PvE specifically, you have to pay a bit more attention when playing elementalist compared to something like ranger or warrior, primarily because they're a bit squishy, and so it's not the best class if you want no-effort mindless farming. That being said though, ele is one of the best classes in all modes of the game and fun to play to boot, so I don't think you can go wrong by boosting one to 80. In fact, getting used to play on a squishier class will prevent you from forming bad habits like not dodging because you know you can take the hit.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

What i meant to say is that people will talk about how great they are, but they will use other classes for world completion and other stuff. Ele's are flimsy and there's not much you can do about that, they do have nice variety in skills though.

Anyone know what medium pants these are?

Ascended

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is the game good now?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is the game good now?

ya

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tsurupettan posted:

Yo, Ele is the best. I've only played Elementalist since Day 1. You're desired in every game mode, you have enough flexibility in builds and gear to play how you want in WvW and PvE, and there's enough depth to the class to continually learn something new every time you play.

As stated before, it is the worst class for mindless PvE farming. Additionally, Ele is one of the worst if you're really bad at heavily using your keyboard to do things.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

if you can play ele it's the highest damage in the game

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
if

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Most fun are Necro (Reaper) followed by Guardian (Dragonhunter). I have two of each

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

only 2? weak

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

tyblazitar posted:

In terms of open world PvE specifically, you have to pay a bit more attention when playing elementalist compared to something like ranger or warrior, primarily because they're a bit squishy, and so it's not the best class if you want no-effort mindless farming. That being said though, ele is one of the best classes in all modes of the game and fun to play to boot, so I don't think you can go wrong by boosting one to 80. In fact, getting used to play on a squishier class will prevent you from forming bad habits like not dodging because you know you can take the hit.

Levelling an ele is a bit frustrating bc of the squishiness, so the boost is a good shout.
I learned to play on Ranger and would probably vouch for it being one of the hardiest classes in the game - decent base armor/Toughness and pet, plus Longbow and Shortbow both being great and fun, and I think all Ranger melee weapons have a block or evade skill of some sort?
Easily the best class for PvE roaming, given you can totally ignore mobs and let your pet take them. Better than they used to be for pvp and fractals/dungeons, I remember when pets didn't get agony resistance and took full AoE damage, so ranger was effectively doing 60% damage for most of the run. Also now Druid exists so everyone loves rangers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Engineers are fun as heck, and the Scrapper elite is 30 seconds of AoE stealth that you can use to pop out of combat and waltz past PvE enemies whenever you don't feel like engaging.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Gonna try out this game again, after playing it a bit at release.

I usually play support classes (healers) in MMOs but playing e.g. the paladin in GW2 didn't feel very "supporty" back at release, but more like a damage dealer with short defensive cooldowns with long reuse timers. Im not even sure i had a direct heal.

Are things still like this? I am unsure if i will have fun playing a support class in this game when they aren't particularly supportive; I have never minded the "holy trinity" of MMO classes to be honest. Are there any classes that can be said to be supportive in this game or are all classes damage dealers with a few other types of skills sprinkled in?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 17, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ineptitude posted:

I usually play support classes (healers) in MMOs but playing e.g. the paladin in GW2 didn't feel very "supporty" back at release, but more like a damage dealer with short defensive cooldowns with long reuse timers. Im not even sure i had a direct heal.

Are things still like this? I am unsure if i will have fun playing a support class in this game when they aren't particularly supportive; I have never minded the "holy trinity" of MMO classes to be honest. Are there any classes that can be said to be supportive in this game or are all classes damage dealers with a few other types of skills sprinkled in?

Druid will be your jam which is the Ranger "Elite" spec. Ill let smarter people then I talk about it, since I play the offensive support type of druid when the fancy strikes me. I've also heard good things about a particular Elementalist build but again, I'm sure there are other people here to discuss the good healing/support builds to be had.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntQy8Mxqqc

this video showed up a day ago or so but I'm just annoyed that the dev build has % hp on health bars and we don't.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

The closest class to a traditional MMO healer in this game currently is the Druid. It provides tons of group utility, and really good healing. Even its DPS builds are more support focused, providing damage increasing buffs for the rest of your group.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ineptitude posted:

In PvP Elementalist is the way to go. The current specs for the past half year have been to do fuckall for damage and support carry your team with green numbers and cleanses. Ranger (Druid) would be the next best.

In PvE Druid really shines with a crazy balance of healing and buffing teammate damage. You have all the options from wearing full healing gear to full damage gear while generating the green numbers. Elementalist Healer is 2nd best by a wide margin.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

area after keep boss is loving weird

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Tsurupettan posted:

There used to be a Maguuma Mumble, but I think everybody but Cletus got banned from it. Basically, look to see what your guild offers. Starfleet Dental has a well-maintained Mumble, that's pretty active during various guild events.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

AnacondaHL posted:

Elementalist Healer is 2nd best by a wide margin.

ping zerk gear or kick

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
There is a guild wars 2 discord run by reddit, Maguuma switched to a teamspeak server run by Fro from Starfleet Dental but most of the people in it are pretty annoying.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The TS server is actively used/required by pubbie WvW commanders, so if you care about that kind of thing (I don't) you should do that.

Otherwise, sfd mumble is where the party is at

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

The TS server is actively used/required by pubbie WvW commanders, so if you care about that kind of thing (I don't) you should do that.

Otherwise, sfd mumble is where the party is at

It's true I constantly use SFD Mumble and chat regularly. Okay not really but if I did I would probably just laugh endlessly at Arus trying to use Dragonhunter traps in WvW.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:raise:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Map chat is autistic 99% of the time.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

lucifirius posted:

Map chat is autistic 99% of the time.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The irony is that this was a popular opinion when the game came out. How far we've come in having the court system overturn the laws made by our popularly elected governments..

• Locked thread