Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

What the...

Ok whatever, gotta keep pulling in the bux i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Agreed, from a storytelling standpoint.

From another angle, this can be interpreted as the author throwing up his middle fingers at everyone who screamed about NTR (and good on him for that; the whole argument was obnoxious and nonsensical).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I see it as the author A: cashing in while it's still in the public eye somewhat and B: expanding on what happened to other characters while Satoru was in the coma.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Batigh posted:

Agreed, from a storytelling standpoint.

From another angle, this can be interpreted as the author throwing up his middle fingers at everyone who screamed about NTR (and good on him for that; the whole argument was obnoxious and nonsensical).

I shouldn't be surprised that people screamed about NTR. I was really grateful for what happened to Hinazuki and how Satoru was just happy about seeing her alive years later than caring about oh she got with someone else other than me. That really solidified my opinion about him being a decent protagonist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A bunch more chapters of march comes in like a lion just got put up.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/3-Gatsu-no-Lion

It's mostly shogi stuff though, so far as I've seen.

Edit: yeah all of it except one or two chapters is shogi stuff, anything with a mini-arc part next to the chapter title. Meh. Last chapter was super good though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 21, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

coathat posted:

Awesome a bunch of posts about terrible shonen manga!!

You should all be beaten to death with volumes of Hyouge Mono. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hyouge-mono-r4242
I was originally convinced to read this by Plutonis and it rules.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

A bunch more chapters of march comes in like a lion just got put up.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/3-Gatsu-no-Lion

It's mostly shogi stuff though, so far as I've seen.

Edit: yeah all of it except one or two chapters is shogi stuff, anything with a mini-arc part next to the chapter title. Meh. Last chapter was super good though.

i hate you

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The cats in March Comes in Like a Lion are my favourite.

I'm becoming more interested in the shogi stuff. I particularly liked the chapters about the older player - there was an emotional connection to the events of the game that went beyond "be the best!". He was playing to retain his sense of self.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a game that I think you will enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMO9U00pZ3k

Chas McGill posted:

The cats in March Comes in Like a Lion are my favourite.
Yeah the cats in it are great, they're always happy, but it's because of cat things, not because of human interpretations

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That top one is basically my friend's cat, yep

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I'm becoming more interested in the shogi stuff. I particularly liked the chapters about the older player - there was an emotional connection to the events of the game that went beyond "be the best!". He was playing to retain his sense of self.

As someone who grew up playing chess (my peak rating was 1300, so kinda decent but not great), shogi sounds like chess except more interesting in every way. The whole "play pieces you captured" element adds a huge amount of extra strategy and complexity (and explains why it took much longer* to create a computer program that could win against top-rated humans for shogi than it took for chess).

All the pieces being the same shape and only being identifiable by the character on them makes it much harder to tell what is going on at a glance, though (especially for people who aren't native speakers). I'm sure you get used to it fast, but when just reading the comic it always takes me a while to check which pieces are which.

*I want to say it took at least 10 years longer to make a computer that could beat top shogi players

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im in no way invested in shogi, but saying you dont like the shogi aspect of march lion is dumb. its like saying you wish chihayafuru had less karuta. i dont get why someone would say that.

however i guess when it is finally revealed that nikaidou is actually rei and hinata's son from the future i will have to eat my words

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Given what he's said about it in the past I'm fairly sure that Captain Invictus would indeed prefer a Chihayafuru with less karuta.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can get western shogi sets where they modified the look to make it easier for westerners, you should try it, its fun

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus is perfectly entitled to not like or care about the thing he doesn't like or care about, but I'd appreciate it if he didn't feel the need to constantly remind us how much he does not like or care about the thing he doesn't like or care about every single time it comes up.

No disrespect man but "Ugh, this thing again," full stop, apropos of nothing, doesn't really do much to foster or carry any sort of worthwhile conversation on any level. Not the first time, nor the fifth.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Please let him tell me about his thoughts on Eden again tho

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Captain Invictus only likes 2 types of media. Ones where he can be a hat baron, and ones where you hug goat monsters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

im in no way invested in shogi, but saying you dont like the shogi aspect of march lion is dumb. its like saying you wish chihayafuru had less karuta. i dont get why someone would say that.
I stopped watching chihayafuru because I don't like the karuta aspect of it, actually! I enjoy the character interactions but not whatever game they're playing, and it took up so much of the series that I couldn't be bothered, which was a shame. It's why I've never read or watched any sports series, I just cannot care about sports competitions in fiction. I think the only exception for me was teppu, and that was more because for a rare change, the main character was the antagonist in a manga.

The non-shogi parts of March Lion are almost an entirely different series separate from the shogi parts, which is why I'm still reading it since I'm able to just skip those without it affecting the other half much. The bullying arc was such an incredibly well-executed analysis of how lovely it can be in school like that that it did a much better job of showcasing it than A Silent Voice, which was ABOUT bullying in its entirety.

There's my detailed piece about it, I won't snipe the shogi bits if I link to a new chapter again, seafood.

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Please let him tell me about his thoughts on Eden again tho
It's bad and amounts to a quickshot awkwardly splattering on the galactic floor

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 22, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
b-b-but...knifedog!!!! How many times in your life are you going to experience knifedog?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knifedog is the fleeting glimmer of hope that is quickly dashed by POP and such

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think the creator of 3-Gatsu should make a food manga

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think someone should create a thread for 3-gatsu so it stops being posted itt

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I don't think releases have been consistent enough to justify a separate thread:

So as each new chapter comes, we'll link to the manga aggregator and point it out, Invictus will do his little thing if they talk about shogi for more than two pages, and then we'll move on with our lives until the next release or if there's a thread for the new anime when it airs in fall, whichever comes first.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Crying about I am a Hero rn

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A new houseki no kuni chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Crying about I am a Hero rn
Cannot catch a break

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Korori is the new I am a hero protagonist and the rest of the series is going to be about recounting the glory days of groping.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Korori is the new I am a hero protagonist and the rest of the series is going to be about recounting the glory days of groping.

I'm glad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kuro finally ended.

Mixed feelings about the ending.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it's pretty anticlimatic.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The actual resolution was a bit meh. But I love that final page.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Kuro finally ended.

Mixed feelings about the ending.

It wasn't a bad manga. Decent SoL with a mix of more serious elements and an original setting.

Ending could have been better, yeah, it was a bit weak.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It reminded a lot of french comic Mr Noir, except with a less depressing ending.

The artstyle and story aren't even that similar, but they both had children living in places with a lot of weirdnesses that are never explained, so I guess that's why I made the connection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ten more March comes in like a lion chapters. The guys translating it are really pumping them out. Any idea how many chapters until we catch up?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The manga currently has eleven volumes out, so assuming they translate from those and not from the magazine chapters means two more volumes, or about twenty chapters, until they've caught up.

(Prepare to be amazed by the final chapter of volume 10, by the way.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm already amazed by the chapters in these ten that just came out, frankly :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Everyone in Eden sure is miserable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just hope it doesn't have a miserable downer ending like honey and clover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Harukaze no Snegurochka / Snegurochka of the Spring Breeze

What it seems possibly at first revenge story a la Tarantino with a paralytic young woman as protagonist, which would be very typical from the author Hiroaki Samura it turns out to be... something else. But good. A story about family and bonds, about choosing a little thing and giving your life for it, all in the setting of the Russian revolution, which btw seemed pretty well researched, it had an authentic vibe. Also about this (light spoilers)
http://i.imgur.com/7mOuWyo.png (lol)

I love the drawing style of Samura, I prefer it over for example masters like Inoue. Somehow for me his pencils transmits very well the feelings of the story, and in the end that's so important.In that regard, Samura makes a great job in this single volume story.

The only flaw it has it's that it's only one volume, and imo maybe should have been a 2-vols story. At places the story feels a bit too compressed. There is one or two points where the passage of time isn't well expressed, where the relationships between characers seems to have changed but you have very few clues of that, some secondary characters seems very interesting but they appear just in a dozen of pages, or for example there could be a bit more of explanations in some historic terms and factions (for people who don't know the early twentieth century Russian history from memory!).
Of course being this a Hiroaki Samura's manga, there is a strong scene or two in there.
The strongest point is the ambivalence of the characters, and the twist of what's the real relationship between all of them and what's the origin of the story is well done. I could never guess at the beginning that despite what his father did, she started by still hoping for his approval, that's why she was searching the proof of the relationship of her mother and Rasputin, though in the end she seems to growth as person and not use the name she was pursuing all that time. And much less I could guess the change of the relationship between her and Mikahil, though it's true despise the sexual abuse, he actually gave her the option of leaving before and not alerting anyone until the next day.