Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Actually i didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
No pictures, but my fiancé and I have just paid the bond and other costs on our first ever flat.

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our family and friends, they've given us an old fridge, washing machine, dryer, microwave, vacuum cleaner, and a bunch of other things. But this week we're going to be buying a bed, a sofa, a table, etc. and moving all our poo poo. We are so loving poor right now, but it's all worth it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Aristophanes posted:

No pictures, but my fiancé and I have just paid the bond and other costs on our first ever flat.

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our family and friends, they've given us an old fridge, washing machine, dryer, microwave, vacuum cleaner, and a bunch of other things. But this week we're going to be buying a bed, a sofa, a table, etc. and moving all our poo poo. We are so loving poor right now, but it's all worth it.

That sounds great, congrats to you both!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I don't have a photo handy, but here's how I felt today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0utDrWa5w

Thirteen months since I first walked in the door to see the place. Feels good man. :3:

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Which table is that?

Murcia from BoConcept - bought it through Skeidar in Norway - no idea on availability in the US, but seems like they are all over the world: http://www.boconcept.com/en-us/furniture/living/coffee-tables/14662/murcia-coffee-table

They have other colors as well - see the link.

The salesperson told me they were strictly one height, but that is not true, so I'm waiting for the longer set of legs for it now.

EXTREME BAKA
Mar 13, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Bought 30 grams worth of shorts for $30. Hope they don't look ridiculous.

Not my photo, though I do have a pink Bic lighter.

Thru-hiking is so far through the looking glass now.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shanghaied posted:

This is fetish clothing, right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Seems like you could save another 10 grams if you cut them into short-shorts.

EXTREME BAKA
Mar 13, 2012
I want to know how silnylon turning you balls and rear end into a fetid swamp five steps in is worth it

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Shanghaied posted:

Where can you buy a BIC lighter that is so big??

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

They look ridiculous.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Please, don't shop-sh..

Who am I kidding, they do look like trash bag shorts and likely feel the same

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ordered this last weekend but it just came in today:

Acer G257HU 25" 1440p IPS Monitor

Upgraded from my ~2012 1920x1200 Dell IPS to this thing because I planned on getting a GTX1070 but the reviews I read said you can't take full advantage of it unless you run games at 1440p, so I wanted to be prepared for when I do eventually get a 1070.

I never knew I needed more screen real estate than I had until I got it, and holy hell is 1400p nice to have.

Also this thing has practically no bezel which is crazy. It's also a fuckton lighter and slimmer than my previous Dell was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Please, don't shop-sh..

Who am I kidding, they do look like trash bag shorts and likely feel the same

I don't understand. Why not just wear running shorts? They're thin and light.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand. Why not just wear running shorts? They're thin and light.

They aren't as tactical

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

EXTREME BAKA posted:

I want to know how silnylon turning you balls and rear end into a fetid swamp five steps in is worth it

This time of the year out on the trail, my balls and rear end are always a foetid swamp anyway, so I can't lose.

Where were you arseholes when I was buying this stuff yesterday t:mad:? I'm not planning to walk in them a whole lot though, just to air out my legs at the end of the day, and maybe go swimming in them. They are lighter and packs down much smaller than my Nike running shorts. We'll see, it's only $30.

Also bought these:

Hope they are modest enough for you lot.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This is cool and good

:negative:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

:( what's wrong now?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
After using up a trial subscription over the past 48 hours here at the house, I bit the bullet and purchased a subscription to the Loeb Classical Library online. :hist101:

Our university library trialed it for a semester, and a colleague and I slammed the poo poo out of it; not a single student made use of it. t:mad:t

It was a bit pricey (and I'm not going to stop using the printed volumes that I already own), but considering how much I made use of it in just the past two days, it should pay for itself fairly quickly (especially for a book project I've been noodling with the past few months).

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

:( what's wrong now?

Enh, I'm just busting your balls. The two-tone coloring is pretty hideous, but whatev, they're hiking pants.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alpha Industries MA-1 bomber jacket, retails at $140 and I got a brand new one at Goodwill for $8.99 :D

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That tags should read "remove before wearing"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It didn't come with one anyway :reject:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Ms Boods posted:

After using up a trial subscription over the past 48 hours here at the house, I bit the bullet and purchased a subscription to the Loeb Classical Library online. :hist101:

Wish I had this in college. What are you researching?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Alpha Industries MA-1 bomber jacket, retails at $140 and I got a brand new one at Goodwill for $8.99 :D

Post trip report from the eighties.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

queserasera posted:

Wish I had this in college. What are you researching?

I know! I like living in THE FUTURE. :iia:

For one project I need to pull a lot of vocab references from a couple of Ovid's poems; for the longer book, which is a commissioned kind-of a general life in Rome thing, the Loeb is madly helpful if I need to find, for example, ancedotes about animals as pets or whatever, or locating quick-smart one of Cicero's snarky comments about the theatre, and that.

Loads of stuff I used at university and in graduate school is now being turned into databases online, and it's fab. (Still, you can't rely on them 100% but holy heck does it save a lot of time). It saves searches, bookmarks pages, and lets you highlight and annotate text so that you can collect a boatload of references and then come back and plug them in as you need them.

I've wasted about two hours this afternoon with the sheer novelty of looking references to turnips and donkeys and other random keywords in Latin, Greek, and English...plus also testing to see how well it takes me to references I already know, to see what sort of keywords and stuff work best.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Which table is that?

http://www.boconcept.com/en-us/furniture/living/coffee-tables/14662/murcia-coffee-table

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Coffee And Pie posted:

Looks good. I wish thrift shop here had anything other than junk!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

It didn't come with one anyway :reject:

That's good. It's a nice jacket aside from that tag

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ordered this last weekend but it just came in today:

Acer G257HU 25" 1440p IPS Monitor

Upgraded from my ~2012 1920x1200 Dell IPS to this thing because I planned on getting a GTX1070 but the reviews I read said you can't take full advantage of it unless you run games at 1440p, so I wanted to be prepared for when I do eventually get a 1070.

I never knew I needed more screen real estate than I had until I got it, and holy hell is 1400p nice to have.

Also this thing has practically no bezel which is crazy. It's also a fuckton lighter and slimmer than my previous Dell was.

I love mine - can't get the XBox to take up the last 1/8tg inch of screen though, but other than that, no complaints.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Origin had a sale so I bit the bullet and bought Sims 4! Now to wait for the expansions/stuff packs to go on sale.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Combining my interests in retrogaming and old luxury electronics, I picked up a 28" Bang & Olufsen MX7000. It was their absolute top model at the time, costing around $3000, and has active speakers and a motorized stand to make it turn to face wherever your position is.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I got the AE Warwick they make for Brooks Brothers in chili:

Seconds, yes, but for $149... hell yeah I'll take them. I'll also probably do more damage to them in a week than they could possibly have already.

Also, branching out beyond aviators with Ames from Warby Parker:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trabant posted:

I got the AE Warwick they make for Brooks Brothers in chili:

Seconds, yes, but for $149... hell yeah I'll take them. I'll also probably do more damage to them in a week than they could possibly have already.
Is there a recommended site for getting "Damaged" shoes like this? I could do with another pair or two for work.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
This book, signed by John Doe at a recent reading. Also tickets to see him next week.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Is there a recommended site for getting "Damaged" shoes like this? I could do with another pair or two for work.

The only site I can think of off the top of my head is AE's shoebank.com, i.e. how I got the pair I posted. It gives you a list of their stores that have the shoes you're looking for, but you can't buy through the site itself. Instead, you call the store and order over the phone, then get an email confirmation and tracking number. The shipping is free, but you're on the hook for returns + $10 restocking fee. I know, it really is very 1997, but we are dealing with seconds so I'm guessing they're hard to properly inventory and keep track of nationwide.

All that said, I'm sure the dress shoe thread in YLLS knows of other brands that do the same, either through outlets or eBay. I'd post the link to the thread, but I'm phonepostin' :downs:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

motorized stand to make it turn to face wherever your position is.

Holy poo poo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

colas posted:

Holy poo poo

If you think that's cool, B&O TVs came with a set of material curtains behind the outer screen at one point, the same as you'd get going to the cinema. These were replaced with electronic ones later, not sure if the MX7000 was the first screen to get electronic ones.

There's been lots of cool little features on B&O screens over the years, as I was leaving the company in 2009 they'd just brought in a little screen camera on their penultimate plasma range, it'd pop out every 250 hours or so onto the screen and recalibrate the white balance so your whites were always white as possible.

The real material curtains are a feature I miss though, it's such a cool thing to have the screen warm up and then have them open up to a picture behind. Weirdly there's very little in terms of video or pictures about this feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

evobatman posted:

Combining my interests in retrogaming and old luxury electronics, I picked up a 28" Bang & Olufsen MX7000. It was their absolute top model at the time, costing around $3000, and has active speakers and a motorized stand to make it turn to face wherever your position is.

I need this in my life. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!