Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How do we know his athleticism plays when he doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spoeank posted:

How do we know his athleticism plays when he doesn't

Because he has and can confirm he can

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd be more confident in DGB and Mariota's development if they didn't have noted proven failure Mike Mularkey in charge

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Are you not a believer in Mularkey's "exotic smashmouth" offense? :v:

I get the feeling he's only around cause they didn't really like the crop of available coaching candidates and are still going to replace him eventually with a coach they fully endorse. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Mariota but I think he just needs to stay healthy and get his reps on the field and he ought to be fine.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Tiptoes posted:

Are you not a believer in Mularkey's "exotic smashmouth" offense? :v:

I get the feeling he's only around cause they didn't really like the crop of available coaching candidates and are still going to replace him eventually with a coach they fully endorse. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Mariota but I think he just needs to stay healthy and get his reps on the field and he ought to be fine.

"Stay healthy" seems like a tall order for a guy who's had multiple MCL injuries in his rookie year alone

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

"Stay healthy" seems like a tall order for a guy who's had multiple MCL injuries in his rookie year alone

I don't foresee a dirty hit happening again

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
List of players to draft from the titans: walker Mariota succop and mathews. Take anyone else at your own risk

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Metapod posted:

List of players to draft from the titans: walker Mariota succop and mathews. Take anyone else at your own risk

Is Kendall Wright out of favor with the new coaching staff? He's put up some decent PPR numbers in the past, even though he can never stay healthy and has zero YAC potential. May be a classic "what could've been" but I've always been intrigued by him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

I know you know it, but don't be results oriented. He was a very risky first round pick.

He was only a risky first round pick if you are afraid of drafting good players.

I find it interesting that a lot of you seem to believe both that ODB is a tremendous talent and that a second year player has maxed his potential. How often do top tier players really max out in year 2?

Hell, I think ODB regressed a bit in year 2, although I am basing that on memory and am too lazy to look it up.

My biggest issue with AB84 is quite simple. How many times in the history of fantasy football has a player been the number one player for three years in a row? I am pretty sure the answer is never.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

He was only a risky first round pick if you are afraid of drafting good players.

I really don't get how it is controversial to say he was a risky first round pick. Are you drafting Devante Parker as a 1200 yard, 8 TD, low end WR1/high end WR2? That's what he did for his 6 healthy games to close out last year. How about Rawls as the clear RB#1? On pace for ~1900 rushing yards and 13 TDs as a starter. If the answer is no, how do you not understand that a 12 game sample size is also very small?

Yeah blah blah differences between Parker and Rawls and Beckham, shut up, haha. Those are reasons OBJ was less risky than drafting these two at their ceilings, not reasons that Beckham wasn't at all risky. Notice I never said OBJ was bad or didn't have first round upside, just that he was a big fuckin risk!

Sataere posted:

I find it interesting that a lot of you seem to believe both that ODB is a tremendous talent and that a second year player has maxed his potential. How often do top tier players really max out in year 2?

Hell, I think ODB regressed a bit in year 2, although I am basing that on memory and am too lazy to look it up.

Did anyone actually say that? I didn't and don't believe it.

Sataere posted:

My biggest issue with AB84 is quite simple. How many times in the history of fantasy football has a player been the number one player for three years in a row? I am pretty sure the answer is never.

How many times has a receiver had the two year start that OBJ has? Never? Guess it couldn't have happened then :v:

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Yea i really don't get that argument.

AB84 is an established top 3 WR for the last few years but he is somehow not capable of threepeating as WR1, but a 3rd year WR is extremely likely to continue on his outrageous pace? I'm not saying ODB isn't an elite talent, nor has anyone else here. But in this case for a #1 pick or top 3, most of us would rather bank on the consensus #1 WR who hasn't shown any reason to think he would regress.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

VietCampo posted:

Yea i really don't get that argument.

AB84 is an established top 3 WR for the last few years but he is somehow not capable of threepeating as WR1, but a 3rd year WR is extremely likely to continue on his outrageous pace? I'm not saying ODB isn't an elite talent, nor has anyone else here. But in this case for a #1 pick or top 3, most of us would rather bank on the consensus #1 WR who hasn't shown any reason to think he would regress.

Yeah. As much as you'd like to have the #1 WR, aren't you really drafting for best floor at this level? I'll take a guy whose proven he can get it done even with guys like Landry Jones throwing him the ball.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

Is Kendall Wright out of favor with the new coaching staff? He's put up some decent PPR numbers in the past, even though he can never stay healthy and has zero YAC potential. May be a classic "what could've been" but I've always been intrigued by him.

Wright is a street baller who isn't allowed to freelance anymore and doesn't run routes that well (he slips a lot)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I need to cut the following team down from 21 players to 16 before the draft:

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB
Smith, Alex KCC QB
Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB
Coleman, Tevin ATL RB
Gore, Frank IND RB
Riddick, Theo DET RB
Spiller, C.J. NOS RB
Starks, James GBP RB
Thompson, Chris WAS RB
Beckham, Odell NYG WR
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR
Evans, Mike TBB WR
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR
Ginn Jr., Ted CAR WR
Hester, Devin ATL WR
Shorts, Cecil HOU WR
Smith, Torrey SFO WR
Wheaton, Markus PIT WR
Wright, Jarius MIN WR
Kendricks, Lance RAM TE
Jets, New York NYJ Def

0.5 ppr dynasty league, no kickers

Which 5 should I drop?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

Spiller, C.J. NOS RB
Thompson, Chris WAS RB
Hester, Devin ATL WR
Shorts, Cecil HOU WR
Jets, New York NYJ Def

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Same except Kendricks over Thompson

Maybe Jarius Wright if you love Kendricks for summer reason

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
So C.J. Spiller is an undisputed straight up drop?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Anderron Shi posted:

So C.J. Spiller is an undisputed straight up drop?

He's currently the 3rd string behind Tim Hightower, last i heard his roster spot isn't even safe at the moment. He's past the point of being worth keeping around in Dynasty i would think. Let him take up someone elses bench slot imo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Same except Kendricks over Thompson

Maybe Jarius Wright if you love Kendricks for summer reason

Agreed on Thompson, but I'd drop probably both Kendricks and Wright before NYJ def, I think. I'd hold Spiller over those two as well, but no big loss if you cut him.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Unless it's a 2 QB or superflex league (e: or you're in some crazy 16+ team league), I don't see the point in keeping Smith when you have Rodgers, that's an easy drop for me that I'd make before even thinking about who the other 4 should be. If you're going to carry a backup, you should be trying to get younger anyway.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Is there something I'm missing about Thompson?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Metapod posted:

Pass catching back on the Redskins, when we don't know if Matt Jones is any good and the only other competition is a 7th round rookie. He's not super valuable or anything, there's just even less valuable guys to cut first.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

He's nothing special, but currently he's competing with a short leashed Matt Jones and a 7th rounder in Keith Marshall. As long as he doesn't get cut and gets healthy, he should be their locked in passing down back with possibility for more. He's an ok hold in dynasty for now.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Gruden was basically like yep Jones is our back... oh god please don't fumble it you butter fingered putz. I wouldn't cut any RB in dynasty who has a short path to starting this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ah I see

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Unless it's a 2 QB or superflex league (e: or you're in some crazy 16+ team league), I don't see the point in keeping Smith when you have Rodgers, that's an easy drop for me that I'd make before even thinking about who the other 4 should be. If you're going to carry a backup, you should be trying to get younger anyway.

He's only 32, is a fine mid/low QB2, a backup QB is required at least one week a year, and most importantly isn't Jarius Wright or Cecil Shorts. Even in an 8 team, 1 QB league, ~QB20 is more valuable than ~WR80 or 100 or wherever you'd out Shorts and Wright.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RVProfootballer posted:

He's only 32, is a fine mid/low QB2, a backup QB is required at least one week a year, and most importantly isn't Jarius Wright or Cecil Shorts. Even in an 8 team, 1 QB league, ~QB20 is more valuable than ~WR80 or 100 or wherever you'd out Shorts and Wright.

Then there's my 16 team dynasty with 42 roster slots and an 8 man taxi squad and I'm still holding Devin Smith and Quincy Enunwa :negative:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Azhais posted:

Then there's my 16 team dynasty with 42 roster slots and an 8 man taxi squad and I'm still holding Devin Smith and Quincy Enunwa :negative:

Are there even enough players in the league for that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Metapod posted:

Are there even enough players in the league for that?

It's IDP.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

I really don't get how it is controversial to say he was a risky first round pick. Are you drafting Devante Parker as a 1200 yard, 8 TD, low end WR1/high end WR2? That's what he did for his 6 healthy games to close out last year. How about Rawls as the clear RB#1? On pace for ~1900 rushing yards and 13 TDs as a starter. If the answer is no, how do you not understand that a 12 game sample size is also very small?

Yeah blah blah differences between Parker and Rawls and Beckham, shut up, haha. Those are reasons OBJ was less risky than drafting these two at their ceilings, not reasons that Beckham wasn't at all risky. Notice I never said OBJ was bad or didn't have first round upside, just that he was a big fuckin risk!

To me, the difference between ODB and those other guys was a judgment call. I thought OBJ was a top five receiver last year and I tend to not worry about past injury history when making drafting decisions, with very few exceptions.

Also, to be fair, my comment here was tongue in cheek. If I can't call someone a scared pussy bitch for making a different draft choice than me, then what is the point of playing fantasy football? :D

quote:

Did anyone actually say that? I didn't and don't believe it.

MrSargent had a couple comments saying AB84 hasn't peaked yet, while saying people are banking on ODB making a huge leap. Of course we expect a player to make a huge leap from year two to three. Otherwise, we wouldn't be drafting him that high!

quote:

How many times has a receiver had the two year start that OBJ has? Never? Guess it couldn't have happened then :v:

You are better than this point. Once it happens, the likelihood of it happening isn't a factor. The numbers on what can or cannot happen has been rewritten.

I will admit to overstating my case, but top flight fantasy players have a career trajectory on a bell curve. I think ODB is on the upswing of the curve and that AB84 is at the peak. All historical data supports my assessment that AB84 is only going to go down from here.

It is the offseason and I am bored. I am willing to die defending this hill. I know you guys know statistics better than me, but I also know that I am right. :v:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

If there's 12 teams or less, it's nearly impossible to not replace his value without having to burn a keeper spot; if there's 14, it's a littler harder but definitely not impossible. Bonus points if you can get someone on the right side of 30 who can throw a football more than 12 yards.

I would love to know that league size and the protected/free agent QB pools, because I literally can't imagine that it's so barren than keeping Alex Smith to start one game a year is even remotely close to an intelligent thing to do. It's very likely that there's the Cutler/Flacco/Staffords of the world that are likely to not be kept either and you could grab one of them or Smith again in the draft or as a UDFA and be no worse for wear.

e: not saying that I wouldn't cut Shorts either, but Thompson and Spiller ( :lol: ) as a lottery ticket should easily have some more value at this present moment in time than an easily replaceable back-up QB that you will need for less than 7% of the season.

e2: It's disingenuous to say that a mid-to-low range QB2 is unilaterally valuable. If you're going to a QBBC or streaming, then yes, but if you have a bonafide QB1, you literally don't need a backup on your roster for any week except that guy's bye

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 17, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

It is the offseason and I am bored. I am willing to die defending this hill. I know you guys know statistics better than me, but I also know that I am right. :v:

Yeah, I'm down with that. And this is really kinda splitting hairs. I was not comfortable with OBJ as a 1st round pick last year, but he's definitely top 3 receiver for me now.

I think the main thing in the Brown top receiver for three years thing is that that alone doesn't suggest OBJ will be better than him. Being the top X guy three years in a row will be tough because production fluctuates and new guys pop up with career years. Julio could go off for 1800-16 next year, and Brown could actually improve from last year and not be WR1. But if you think Brown has the highest probability of scoring the most fantasy points, you take him first this season. What rank he was the last two years doesn't matter. Of course another WR could outscore him this year, but that same hypothetical career year Julio would outscore every other receiver too. It's like, maybe Brown only has a 25% chance of being WR#1 this year, but then Julio might only have a 20% chance and Beckham an 18% chance, etc etc.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

If there's 12 teams or less, it's nearly impossible to not replace his value without having to burn a keeper spot; if there's 14, it's a littler harder but definitely not impossible. Bonus points if you can get someone on the right side of 30 who can throw a football more than 12 yards.

I would love to know that league size and the protected/free agent QB pools, because I literally can't imagine that it's so barren than keeping Alex Smith to start one game a year is even remotely close to an intelligent thing to do. It's very likely that there's the Cutler/Flacco/Staffords of the world that are likely to not be kept either and you could grab one of them or Smith again in the draft or as a UDFA and be no worse for wear.

e: not saying that I wouldn't cut Shorts either, but Thompson and Spiller ( :lol: ) as a lottery ticket should easily have some more value at this present moment in time than an easily replaceable back-up QB that you will need for less than 7% of the season.

e2: It's disingenuous to say that a mid-to-low range QB2 is unilaterally valuable. If you're going to a QBBC or streaming, then yes, but if you have a bonafide QB1, you literally don't need a backup on your roster for any week except that guy's bye

Totally agreed that there are likely better FAs available than Smith. But there are also less valuable guys already on the roster that can be cut. And I didn't say a QB2 is unilaterally valuable, I said it is more valuable than a WR#100.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I guess I'm just of the opinion that if I have a top-end QB1, I would rather have a 1-in-1,000,000 lottery ticket in the pre-season than almost any back-up QB.

e: And if we're in agreement that there's likely better FAs available, there shouldn't be any reason to burn a keeper spot on a guy that you know you can easily replace.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 17, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I guess I'm just of the opinion that if I have a top-end QB1, I would rather have a 1-in-1,000,000 lottery ticket in the pre-season than almost any back-up QB.

e: And if we're in agreement that there's likely better FAs available, there shouldn't be any reason to burn a keeper spot on a guy that you know you can easily replace.

Holding Smith over Jarius Wright means the guy that has Luck or Flacco or Romo or Ben or whoever, had to rely on someone like Weeden or Cutler or Schaub or Kaep or some other schlub, even if just for a bye week of their backup QB or something. That's worth more than Jarius Wright or Cecil Shorts. And best case, some dude had Luck and Romo and was hosed over for half the year.

As for having more valuable keepers, I mean, it depends how the league is set up. If you declare keepers, then non-keepers are released, then free agency opens, there is, as far as I can tell, literally no reason to not keep a more valuable Smith than a less valuable Jarius Wright. If there's some benefit to be gained in not keeping the maximum allowed, then sure, might not be worth it to keep Smith.

E: Anyway, this is all being a bit unfair to Smith. Wasn't he QB#11 or something last year? I don't know that he maintains that, but he's at least got a higher ceiling than mid/low QB2.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 17, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Holding Smith over Jarius Wright means the guy that has Luck or Flacco or Romo or Ben or whoever, had to rely on someone like Weeden or Cutler or Schaub or Kaep or some other schlub, even if just for a bye week of their backup QB or something

Fantasy Football 2016: Game Theory is the path to destruction

e: he was ~QB17 with Tyrod right on his rear end and Dalton, Cutler, and Roethlisberger not all that far behind, and was ~QB27 in PPG

Alex Smith is Not A Good Fantasy Quarterback

e2: QB16 in Yahoo, 2 points behind Tyrod and 2 ahead of Tannehill, QB27 in PPG

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 17, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Fantasy Football 2016: Game Theory is the path to destruction

If you're suggesting I'm advocating hoarding lovely QBs to deny your opponents, don't argue against a position I'm not taking :)

Edit:

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Alex Smith is Not A Good Fantasy Quarterback

Goddammit how'd I know

Dandy Kaiser posted:

e2: QB16 in Yahoo, 2 points behind Tyrod and 2 ahead of Tannehill, QB27 in PPG

Excellent, now argue why Jarius Wright or Cecil Shorts are worth more than this.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Maybe I'm confused because that's what it sounds like? It's also not taking into account that on Rodgers' bye you're going to end up having to start Alex loving Smith who you probably could've improved upon in the draft and is now your best option because any better players than him that were out there were probably ignored because you didn't want to be the moron carrying 3 QBs

RVProfootballer posted:

Goddammit how'd I know

All back-up QBs are worthless if you have any QB on your roster who is QB7 or better.

quote:

Excellent, now argue why Jarius Wright or Cecil Shorts are worth more than this.

They aren't, but two RBs who don't have a lot of competition for passing down work on good offenses certainly are.

e: For the record, I would cut Smith, Hester, Shorts, Wright, and Kendricks of those players listed well before I'd cut Spiller, Thompson, or NYJ DEF

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Maybe I'm confused because that's what it sounds like? It's also not taking into account that on Rodgers' bye you're going to end up having to start Alex loving Smith who you probably could've improved upon in the draft and is now your best option because any better players than him that were out there were probably ignored because you didn't want to be the moron carrying 3 QBs

Dandy: I don't care who else is an option to cut. My first choice would be Alex Smith, because I hate backup QBs almost as much as I hate tight ends.

RVP: Op has a few other such lovely guys that he can cut that he'd be silly to give up the tiny amount of value Alex Smith has in order to hold guys that are literally worthless. Literally Jarius Wright, man.

Dandy: I can't believe you think op should roster Alex Smith over every other FA that is available.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

e: For the record, I would cut Smith, Hester, Shorts, Wright, and Kendricks of those players listed well before I'd cut Spiller, Thompson, or NYJ DEF

You absolute fucker :argh:

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dandy: Keeper spots are at a premium, don't keep a player you're never going to start and who is easily replaceable over a lottery ticket

RVP: ALEX SMITH VS. JARIUS WRIGHT STEEL CAGE MATCH TWO MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES

Dandy: Yeah, cut him too, he Also Sucks

All I'm saying is that Alex Smith has just as little value, especially to his specific roster which is all that you should concern yourself with as the other 4 guys I said I would cut. Don't worry about what's going on with the other teams, you're set at QB with Rodgers and if you really want to roster a back-up on any week that isn't his bye, you can very likely still get Smith or even a better QB if you wait it out until the draft or FA period rather than committing to the 20th best QB in fantasy for a week 4 spot start

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 17, 2016

• Locked thread