Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Turns out that while suburbans love the way everyone pays for their roads, theyaren't so keen when other people actually use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

Turns out that while suburbans love the way everyone pays for their roads, theyaren't so keen when other people actually use them.

yeah the traffic on my cul-de-sac is horrible no wait it isnt

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

grid system superiority. there's no reason to favor my street over the surrounding ones

(actually my street is off of the strict Chicago grid, it goes southeast and is very short and one-way. the only street that feeds it is one of the original diagonals in the Burnham Plan but that goes northeast/southwest, making my street really unappealing to motorists looking to cut through. it owns.)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LastInLine posted:

yeah the traffic on my cul-de-sac is horrible no wait it isnt

because it's dead, disconnected, space which no one wants to visit?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

if you want to reduce road traffic build a normal, connected road then block one end to motor traffic while letting bikes and pedestrians through.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

grid system superiority. there's no reason to favor my street over the surrounding ones

indeed. my street is choked with parked cars on either side, speedbumps, off-center intersections, and stop signs, making it infuriating driving through it, but pleasant and safe to cycle.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

that sounds p unpleasant in general actually

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Satellit3 posted:

that sounds p unpleasant in general actually

it sucks to drive through, which is the point

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

traffic diets and traffic calming own

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

in a grid, are alternating direction one way streets more efficient?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

in Boston news, they're putting in protected bike lanes on one of the most dangerous streets in downtown.

I went to the planning commission meeting slash so did dozens of people also in the Boston Cyclists Union to raise hell because one woman died and lots of people got injured

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

which street

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Grandmaster.flv posted:

in Boston news, they're putting in protected bike lanes on one of the most dangerous streets in downtown.

I went to the planning commission meeting slash so did dozens of people also in the Boston Cyclists Union to raise hell because one woman died and lots of people got injured

better to just ban bicycles from the road as they cannot proceed safely with normal traffic

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

mass ave. between the bridge to like symphony

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grandmaster.flv posted:

good work. protected lanes are great and many people to cycle who would otherwise never consider it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

traffic diets and traffic calming own

mega greedo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yippee cahier posted:

in a grid, are alternating direction one way streets more efficient?

yep pairs of each are called couplets

one way streets in general are more efficient and it should be legal to smash in someone's windows if they double park

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

We're laughing at some stupid Chinese proposal but it's still way better than the hyperloop

earlier this week i attended a technical luncheon where the topic was the california high speed rail project's progress

there are always a handful of students at these things and at the end one of them asked if the hyperloop was being considered by caltrans

the entire audience of engineers chuckled and the speaker went OH THE HYPERLOOP THAT'S THE TECHNOLOGY POWERED BY ITS USERS SCREAMS and i nearly fell outta my chair

two of my bosses were there too and apparently know this guy and have invited him to the company picnic so i'm really hoping he comes

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ban all vehicles from Manhattan

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

mass ave. between the bridge to like symphony

oh nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish they'd unfuck boylston/essex, heading east across the city is basically impossible past the common/garden

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

ban all vehicles from Manhattan

it'd be nice if it was just "trucks, buses, and taxis only" or like that london congestion thing , there's probably some unintended consequence to this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
blue-sky speculation about turning a major downtown thoroughfare into a car-free zone in toronto

amusingly, doing so would increase the number of people able to use the street to cross the city core, since transit riders on the route already outnumber vehicle users

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
god i hope they do it and i get to watch people gnash their teeth into blood and pulp

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i have a constitutional right to drive my automobile from the suburbs on publicly built and subsidized roads and park at publicly subsidized parking spots in front of the place i would like to go in the city. i mean, i gave that city $2 to park at the meter and $2 in sales tax on my purchases, THEY OWE ME.

they should build bigger roads and parking lots so i can do it even faster and live even further away. sure, that will probably destroy the communities of the people that live in the city, shortening their life span and economic opportunity and my own life span and economic opportunity too, but *mumblemumble* free market *mumble* bootstrap *mumble* crime

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Share Bear posted:

it'd be nice if it was just "trucks, buses, and taxis only" or like that london congestion thing , there's probably some unintended consequence to this

fygmers get mad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the entire audience of engineers chuckled and the speaker went OH THE HYPERLOOP THAT'S THE TECHNOLOGY POWERED BY ITS USERS SCREAMS and i nearly fell outta my chair

this owns

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

fygmers get mad

it does kind of screw over people who have to get to manhattan from the outer boroughs quickly via car which still count as nyc, who are among the poorer in the city

it'd have to be offset by, i dunno, dedicated or separated bus lanes in bk/bx/qns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

wish they'd unfuck boylston/essex, heading east across the city is basically impossible past the common/garden

Lmao at the concept of Boston's road system being unfuckedupable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can walk or ride the subway everywhere in boston which is how it should be

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Share Bear posted:

it does kind of screw over people who have to get to manhattan from the outer boroughs quickly via car which still count as nyc, who are among the poorer in the city

it'd have to be offset by, i dunno, dedicated or separated bus lanes in bk/bx/qns

dedicated bus lanes haven't cut times down very much unforch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
buses suck rear end and theres nothing you can do to make them not suck rear end

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

buses suck rear end and theres nothing you can do to make them not suck rear end

electric buses in not-shitholes own sry

london zone 1 needs to go all electric right goddamn now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no. theyre so bad everywhere you're just used to the worst transit possible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have you ever even seen a bus?

like, i'm pretty sure most of your state lacks indoor plumbing. you're probably thinking of some mennonite hay wagon or something when you say bus

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

infernal machines posted:

like, i'm pretty sure most of your state lacks indoor plumbing. you're probably thinking of some mennonite hay wagon or something when you say bus

shaggar lives in maine, the worst case for buses

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yes of course I have. they suck rear end. maybe you have not been in a car or subway or other good form of transportation so you don't really have a point of comparison

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

shaggar lives in maine, the worst case for buses

yes buses are pointless in maine because things are too far apart to make them worth while for intercity transport and our cities and towns are small enough that you can walk everywhere.

but they're also pointless everywhere else because once your city gets to the point that its no longer walkable, you should start to consider either subway or elevated rail.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
buses are useful in chicago for getting to certain areas but id prefer to get somewhere by subway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lots of people take buses of various kinds to work in seattle. its better than driving in that lovely traffic

• Locked thread