Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Tempest_56 posted:

At minimum the Gunsmith really should bail this turn, and the PXH and Champion should strongly consider doing so as well.

sebmojo posted:

I think the main thing is to fill up the out tray this turn so we make space for the next turn and stop them camping on the exit.
Yes, if we can get five Mechs out this turn in the southern five extraction hexes, that blocks the Grendel from reaching our extraction zone.

So ideally, the following Mechs will move to extraction this turn:

Atlas
Stag
Champion
Phoenix Hawk
Gunsmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ardlen posted:

When going to 2733, I just wanted to confirm that you are going over the hill in 2534 instead of trying to turn on concrete and skidding out.

And don't worry, you'll have your time to shine next mission!

This is correct, going via 2534 with a huge thanks to you (or whoever it was) for posting that in the Gdoc. I'd hate to do the work of PTN's dice for them.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
If I can run through an ally that is being swarmed, the champion can make it to the furthest back hex at 2732. Otherwise I'd be moving to 2734 or 2834.

Can I move through an ally being swarmed if he's trying to get 'em off? I assume yes, but I want to be sure

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
DON'T RISK IT

Actually do, then they'll jump your rear end instead of mine. :v:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Corponation posted:

If I can run through an ally that is being swarmed, the champion can make it to the furthest back hex at 2732. Otherwise I'd be moving to 2734 or 2834.

Can I move through an ally being swarmed if he's trying to get 'em off? I assume yes, but I want to be sure
I wouldn't suggest going to 2732, since it doesn't help block off the escape zone from the Grendel. If we only have five leaving this turn, that one should stay empty.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Annihilate the enemy lights as they encroach on you, create a wall of death, and boomdoggies!

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Ah, it seems the further back ones change elevation too, so I wouldn't be able to make it there anyway. Retreat Hex 2834 it is

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Still one hex that absolutely needs filling just to prevent enemy movement into them. Of note, if you have a good shot from 2735 and don't need to withdraw, you don't have to. You can bodyblock that hex for enemy movement sake without leaving the battle just yet. (You have to declare intent to withdraw, after all.)

I don't think anyone has a compelling reason to stand and deliver from there, mind. Not this turn at least, and we still haven't seen where Pladdicus is going to move that Gunsmith either.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Great Beer posted:

It's almost like this was the real mission from the start and they weren't told because no one in their right mind would go on such an obvious suicide mission.

The real real mission is to get them to follow us into the tunnels then collapse it in on them :tinfoil:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

The real real mission is to get them to follow us into the tunnels then collapse it in on them :tinfoil:

Turns out the whole thing was to test their new remote dynamite detonator.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
To be fair in response to the 'we should have pulled back turns ago' crowd, up until this turn, the tunnel was blocked by the hilarious swarm of Revenants pouring out of the hole. It's only been this turn with the last three popping out and getting stuck in that the way has been cleared for Gooncompany to beat it.

That said, it really is time to go. We've done our job, a poo poo ton of Clanners are out for our blood, and there's nothing more to be gained by sticking around that would justify possibly being obliterated.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Great Beer posted:

Turns out the whole thing was to test their new remote dynamite detonator.

Which is just a bunny leaning on an old box detonator.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Chronojam posted:

Only when it was too late did they realise the truth. Dadlas wasn't trapped in there with them.
They were trapped in there with Dadlas

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Paingod556 posted:

Only when it was too late did they realise the truth. Dadlas wasn't trapped in there with them.
They were trapped in there with Dadlas

I want some poor clanner to follow the Hawks into the tunnel only to be blown back out of the entrance cartoon-style by the HGR

also I think the NRWR is going to start mass-producing the Kalma-spec Atlas IIs now, because that's a hell of a field test

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 17, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I want some poor clanner to follow the Hawks into the tunnel only to be blown back out of the entrance cartoon-style by the HGR

also I think the RWR is going to start mass-producing the Kalma-spec Atlas IIs now, because that's a hell of a field test

They might wanna make sure they have sufficient Kalma-spec pilots beforehand, or they just might be subject to highlights of Atlases doing Nestea plunges because the pilots couldn't handle running HGR shots.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

anakha posted:

They might wanna make sure they have sufficient Kalma-spec pilots beforehand, or they just might be subject to highlights of Atlases doing Nestea plunges because the pilots couldn't handle running HGR shots.

"I don't want a good pilot, I just need a lucky one."

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Steel Will: Tactical Update 14

Physical Combat Phase:
Watchman
- Extracts the Firebee’s Cockpit (5 base + 1 movement + 5 environmental hazard - 1 both hands - 4 immobile target = 6): rolled 11, succeeds!

End Phase:
Watchman
- Must dedicate at least one hand to carrying the Firebee’s cockpit, the cockpit will be automatically dropped if the arm holding it is blown off. This can be avoided if the Watchman carries the Firebee’s cockpit with both hands.

There we go. So another two points for jumping, another point for the rain, minus five points for no environmental hazard means a 4+?

If the Lancelot goes for the drops that's two chances at 5+, total of 35/36 chance of success, and the Komodo and all the short range weaponry of nearby mechs company have nearly as good/similar odds for annihilating them once they drop off.
Rules seem a bit borked that infantry can take up the hex of battlemechs, but not vice versa.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 17, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So should I jump to 2732 so I can open up easier spots for other extractions?

I was tempted to land at 3337 and fire over the top of the building with my LPL before extracting next turn at a jump 6 TMM, but if we're thinking losing the LPL this turn is better (wherever I land in the back area, I won't be able to shoot at hostiles, right?) so that we can save the mech for the next game, then that's good too.

Two kills (or at least final blows) to Noretti is good enough for me. Plus I got a justice foot on a goshawk cockpit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It's probably a good spot for the PH, since 3 damage to its foot could open up a spot for the Grendel, and an open hex in the periphery stops the entire shebang from withdrawing. Plus it gives cover for your foot. Pity about the only shot being TH 10 for the Black Python. The only other mech in critical danger of being legged can't make it to the back rows anyway.

Edit: Friendly units do not block LoS.

Things are risky this round, very much so for the two southwesternmost hexes of the withdrawal zone, Ath and the Hellstar can easily combo 94 points into the southernmost one in particular at THs of 3-5. Really recommend withdrawing six mechs if possible. Next round should be much worse.

Hopefully the Black Python just sticks with Zell.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 17, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I can shoot anything from 2732.
All the hexes around me are height 2 or 3, and the hexes in front of me would be blocked by allied mechs, so no LOS to the guy in 2741.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Allied units don't block LOS.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Who will be the last 2-6 to leave on the (hopefully) third turn?

Loxbourne says he's going last. Other than that the by far tankiest jumper remaining is the Grasshopper w/ 4 jump. Komodo and Ostscout are both in good shape too (as much as a light can be), with potential +3 and +4 for that last round.

Probably 2 is best, since the two hexes in the back offer significant protection from enemy fire.
Might necessitate 6 to leave both rounds.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 17, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

Okay then i'll land in 2732, facing 2832 to protect that leg anyway, and torso twist to face 2733, and fire my LPL at the mech in 2741? Maybe I'll get a lucky shot off before I leave.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Enemy units don't either.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, orders in now.
I'm going for the rearward hex so that we have more spaces for less speedy robots to use.
I'll take a potshot at the guy in 2741 and peace out.
Hope I get a headshot - a hat trick for Noretti would be nice.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

mcjomar posted:

Okay, orders in now.
I'm going for the rearward hex so that we have more spaces for less speedy robots to use.
I'll take a potshot at the guy in 2741 and peace out.
Hope I get a headshot - a hat trick for Noretti would be nice.
You should consider jumping to one of the other two hexes, since we don't have any Mechs in 2734 or 2735, and we need those hexes filled or else we'll get blocked from extracting. Moving to 2732 doesn't help block, since no enemy Mech can reach it this turn, and we will probably only have 5 Mechs extracting this turn anyway.

RA Rx posted:

Probably 2 is best, since the two hexes in the back offer significant protection from enemy fire.
Might necessitate 6 to leave both rounds.
Having two Mechs leave at the end is a death sentence for them if any enemy Mech can reach a withdrawal hex before they go, since we need three to block the entrance.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 17, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

If the rules aren't modified when there are less than six mechs remaining, then five mechs is still a death sentence if even a single jumper survives.

So the withdrawal zone will probably be shrinked.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 17, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So retreat 2 this turn, then move dudes into their spots, then retreat the 6 the turn after that, and move another 6 mechs in, then retreat them. Done.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

If the rules aren't modified when there are less than six mechs remaining, then five mechs is still a death sentence if even a single jumper in range survives.
Yep, which is why taking down the Grendel and the Black Python within the next two turns is so important. The rest of the lights rushing us don't have jump jets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Or, y'all could trust me to not be an rear end in a top hat.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When is the tornado move phase in the turn processing order again?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

At this point, people assuming you're a dick despite 1600 pages of evidence to the contrary is more ingrained than the bad clanner jokes.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
I would hope at this point that it is less assuming PTN to have a streak of mean in him and more just trying to be coordinating on a smart and ordered retreat plan. And sticking to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not always easy to parse the difference between you presenting a very difficult challenge vs. you being an rear end in a top hat. At least, I think it's fair for the players to not make assumptions about you holding back vs. taking every possible advantage you can get with your forces.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nullkigan posted:

At this point, people assuming you're a dick despite 1600 pages of evidence to the contrary is more ingrained than the bad clanner jokes.

Why not mix the two? You know, I heard that clanner gm's are twice the bad for half the fun.

No offense meant PTN, saw the shot for a joke and I took it. Keep on truckin!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Says the guy who filled the escape hexes with infantry.

...I kid, I kid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, that's really to the point. PTN usually at least appears to be using his forces in an intelligent way, although he does roleplay the clanners' tactics appropriately. Parking the infantry in the escape tunnel entrance to block the retreat is a perfect example. Why would the players assume he wouldn't also try to jam a jumpy Clan mech into that hole if the players give him the chance? As a player, trying to anticipate where exactly PTN draws the line is a very dangerous game. Assume too much, and you get hosed by your savvy opponent taking advantage of your mistake.

It's best to assume PTN will use his forces to maximum effectiveness, and then be pleasantly surprised when they don't do that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Once the players get into the extraction zone and declare they're leaving, nothing the OpForce can do can prevent them from leaving. As long as the extraction zone is blue when they move into it (and even then, what's a 45 tonner going to do against even 2-3 other `Mechs that just decide to say "gently caress it" and just bull-rush it like they're a robot freight train? Not much).

raverrn posted:

Says the guy who filled the escape hexes with infantry.

In my defense, that got people other than Dolash thinking about the extraction zone as something that needed to be paid attention to. That it coincided with the Komodo auto-pathing to the extraction zone to retreat was just a pleasant coincidence.

I was absolutely, 100% prepared to turn the extraction zone 'orange' without telling anyone what that meant. Praise be the Active Probe, it is your friend and absolutely not a waste of 1 to 1.5 tons.

The fact that the stock Komodo doesn't have an active probe in spite of its intended role is a crime

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To be honest, if PTN had the Clanners rushing to put one of their own on an extraction hex from now on, I wouldn't call that a dick move - blocking your enemy's escape route is very basic tactics, and protecting the 'run' part of a 'hit-and-run' attack is also fundamental. On the other hand, it's also not out-of-character for Clanners to ignore the sensible tactical decision in order to pursue personal glory, so if they spend their time chasing kills instead of blocking the escape route that's just classic Clan idiocy in action.

I almost wonder why the Clanners have ranks, since from the sounds of it higher-up Clanners can't get their underlings to do the basic business needed to win battles. Who can plan a strategy around "all my soldiers will immediately abandon my battleplan"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Who can plan a strategy around "all my soldiers will immediately abandon my battleplan"?

It's easy when the entire battleplan is "rush the enemy and kill them" every time.

• Locked thread