Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

I apologize for my lame breab but it's all i had atm, will improve the meal after i swing by the goatfather's :)

Also I call this a summer breakfast bc spring+summer is the only time i have greens to pick, i guess you could do it with store bought greens but to me the meal is pretty seasonal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

I apologize for my lame breab but it's all i had atm, will improve the meal after i swing by the goatfather's :)

Also I call this a summer breakfast bc spring+summer is the only time i have greens to pick, i guess you could do it with store bought greens but to me the meal is pretty seasonal

i thought you were vegan?

:ohdear:

alnilam

no i'm vegetariam

e: one of housemates who i cook with a lot is vegan and my fiancee is lactose intolerant so you probably see me talk about vegan food a lot

ty manifisto

joke_explainer

Looks great alnilam! Nice coherently poached eggs too.

The X-man cometh
What's the difference between English Muffins and crumpets?

treasure bear

The X-man cometh posted:

What's the difference between English Muffins and crumpets?

both are sort of puck shaped. english muffin is like normal bread but extra good for cutting lengthways and toasting. crumpets are sort of chewy and spongy and have lots of holes in them.

3D Megadoodoo

the main difference is i like a bit of crumpet but i don't like a bit of english muffin

joke_explainer

Sorry for the crappy photo. Making cassoulet tonight and it's turning out pretty good I think. I just misunderstood the time involved in this so I'm going to be up pretty late checking a pot of beans for like six hours.

joke_explainer

Ended up great. The chicken was still moist, but tender to falling off the bone. The beans really absorbed the flavor of everything that went in. Duck fat definitely made a difference in the initial searing. One of the best meals I've made in a while. Really easy setup, the only difficulty is that it takes like 5 hours in the oven after everything's cooking and I wasn't quite prepared at that because I finished putting it together at midnight.

Here's the recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

joke_explainer

Super easy to make. The only cost is time investment in checking on it every 30 minutes for five hours. I should go to sleep now. Good night.

joke_explainer

I mean, the ingredients cost money too, now that I read what I just wrote. But chicken legs and thighs? 2.99 a pound even at whole foods. Cannellini beans are very cheap too, and so is salt pork and sausages. Tho not all grocers carry salt pork, I think you could get away with bacon no problem if you can cut it into lardons. Or even not, i don't know. It's not super complicated. Then some carrot, parsley, bay leaves, and celery to initially stew for 45 minutes with the beans before you put all that seared meat back in. One of the cheaper meals here I think overall.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Having made cassoulet in a restaurant, it's easy enough to make the beans on a separate day, like on a Sunday when you'll be home for 5 hours doing chores anyways, and cool them on a cookie sheet, and have your chicken confited/ roasted or whatever and cooled as well, then on the day you actually want to eat it it's 20 minutes to season and get hot and all.

I didn't read this specific recipe cause I've got pretty solid duck confit cassoulet in my head, but I'm sure it's easy enough to turn it into a two day process, prep day and quick pick up day.

joke_explainer

Yeah, it was my first time making it (or cooking at all in a while.) It was a way simpler recipe than the duck confit style you see in restaurants, using salt pork, sausages, and chicken, and cooking with duck fat to add some of that flavor to it. I just didn't realize how long the plan was after it went into the oven, heh. It ended up delicious though, even if it looks too browned from the photo it was great.

poverty goat

Hey do any of you guys have a really dank bread pudding recipe

alnilam

Ingredients:
1 bread
1 pudding

Stir to combine

joke_explainer

sweet or savory?

alnilam

both :hellyeah:

ty manifisto

treasure bear

bread and butter pudding, check it out

poverty goat

carmelized onions and goat cheese rolled in everything bagel stuff

the dough ended up a little wet on account of the extra moisture in the onions and i ended up overworking it trying to get it shaped so it didnt spring much. it's good but i think it could use a little rosemary or something

treasure bear

Steak and chips with asparagus, tenderstem broccoli and creamy pepercorn sauce.

Slugnoid

Top tip for going to a fancy dinner party where you're expected to bring a bottle of vino.

- buy a bottle of Sainsbury's Red Cooking Wine and steam off the label

- find out what's being served and pick a nice bottle of wine to accompany

- stick the Sainsbury's label over the original

- bring the 'Cooking Wine" to your party and enjoy the whole bottle yourself guilt free

alnilam

Slugnoid posted:

Top tip for going to a fancy dinner party where you're expected to bring a bottle of vino.

- buy a bottle of Sainsbury's Red Cooking Wine and steam off the label

- find out what's being served and pick a nice bottle of wine to accompany

- stick the Sainsbury's label over the original

- bring the 'Cooking Wine" to your party and enjoy the whole bottle yourself guilt free

devious

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Sushi

Woe to you of chop and stick,
For the devil sends his wood with wrath,
Because he know you'll get annoyed..
Let him whom have patience master the art of chopsticks,
For it is an inhuman art, the art of eating sushi.

<3 <3 Vanisher

FutonForensic

the first loaf

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FutonForensic posted:

the first loaf

am i the only one that sees a really dark yet satisfied face in this?

deep dish peat moss

The giant forgot to crush his bones before making the bread :(

FutonForensic

well yeah, it was a no-knead

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
treasure bear is my freind and he will post food here soon...

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

treasure bear is my freind and he will post food here soon...

I really hope so. that bear can cook

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Made homemade pizza yesterday...

Recipe is secret. Best pizza EU/World.

<3 <3 Vanisher

poverty goat

Tomato basil bread! Almost all of the water in the dough was just fresh ripe tomatoes. It's good but not great, came out just a bit too sour imo

deep dish peat moss

If I'm ever rich I'm going to hire someone whose entire job in the world is to bake be a different kind of bread every day for the rest of my life

deep dish peat moss

If you repeat a loaf you go in the snake pit

the unabonger

The Goatfather posted:

Tomato basil bread! Almost all of the water in the dough was just fresh ripe tomatoes. It's good but not great, came out just a bit too sour imo

like too sour because of the tomatoes?

the unabonger
btw never stop making and then posting bread

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
God drat goat, you make some sexy bread. I'm all hard over here thinking about how crunchy that crust must be.

deep dish peat moss

Artisan Cursed Eggs, eggs cursed by the Devil himself

poverty goat

i flunked out posted:

like too sour because of the tomatoes?

Well it's sourdough for starters. The sour flavors normally present in sourdough come from lactic/acetic acids produced by bacteria in the starter which usually take a back seat to the yeast since they feed mostly on sugars and alcohols produced as waste by the yeast as it consumes flour. In this case I think the bacteria got off to a much more active and early start on account of all the sugars present in the tomatoes. Tomatoes are also fairly acidic and all the acids inhibit the yeast. It's still tasty bread but I'd have liked more of the tomato sweetness to have come through in the finished product.

joke_explainer

Maybe dry the tomatoes first? Concentrate the flavor and the final moisture mix would be closer to normal since you'd just take the tomatos out of the dry weight in the ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear

quick potato salad

boil baby potatos for about 10-15 mins until soft
wait to cool or run under cold water
finely chop a shallot and some spring onion
mix it together with some mayonnaise and whole grain mustard