Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Poil posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what in the world is a "social justice warrior"? Is it something like a "nice guy" or a mens right activist? :gonk:

It largely depends on who you ask, but I understand it to be someone with xir own personal set of pronouns who is offended by almost everything on behalf of minorities they've rarely if ever encounter in real life and actively looks for more things to be offended by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rassle posted:

It largely depends on who you ask, but I understand it to be someone with xir own personal set of pronouns who is offended by almost everything on behalf of minorities they've rarely if ever encounter in real life and actively looks for more things to be offended by.

This is the general intent, of course, but people like Adams then turn around and deliberately use the same term for people who think that women getting paid less than men or men calling women "bitches" is a bad thing, so as to minimize these latter two complaints by considering them no different from the more ridiculous "constructed pronoun regulating" complaints.

EDIT: As an example, I have seen some people use the term for any advocate who wants to have a serious conversation about "rape culture".

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 17, 2016

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Poil posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what in the world is a "social justice warrior"? Is it something like a "nice guy" or a mens right activist? :gonk:

Actually, SJWs and MRAs are natural enemies in the wild.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Poil posted:

"Social justice warrior" is a politically correct term for "PC police," which is a politically correct term for "I shouldn't face any consequences for my bad behavior."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set does things the hard way.

Working Daze delegates.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix just did this gag the other day.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Social justice warrior" (or more commonly the abbreviation, which is wordfiltered here) is the catch-all term people who use racist/sexist/etc. slurs use for anyone who objects to them using said slurs, what MRAs consider anyone who isn't an MRA, and so on. Basically it's a terrible phrase used by terrible people.

While there are some areas that not-awful people could argue it's worth using (first time I saw people using it was to refer to a scam artist who tried to use their race and gender to silence anyone who criticized them while also being the sort of person who used really nasty racial slurs towards other people, sometimes in the same posts, and said person's defenders and followers), nowadays it's so commonly used by lovely people that it's not worth trying to salvage and instead just something you keep an eye out for, because if someone uses the term unironically there's a very good chance they're an awful person you want nothing to do with.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

While there are some areas that not-awful people could argue it's worth using (first time I saw people using it was to refer to a scam artist who tried to use their race and gender to silence anyone who criticized them while also being the sort of person who used really nasty racial slurs towards other people, sometimes in the same posts, and said person's defenders and followers), nowadays it's so commonly used by lovely people that it's not worth trying to salvage and instead just something you keep an eye out for, because if someone uses the term unironically there's a very good chance they're an awful person you want nothing to do with.

Exactly so. The shitheads who actually say it are not so subtly implying that anyone who cares about social issues at all are as bad as the worst people who care about social issues.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That Dilbert comic hit a little too close to home for a lot of people in this thread.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Command Ant posted:

That Dilbert comic hit a little too close to home for a lot of people in this thread.

Well the jagoffs who think being polite is a burden are super annoying

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
To no one's surprise, the recent Bleeker was swapped out on GoComics with the creator posting an apology and explanation of comic timelines.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

dirksteadfast posted:

To no one's surprise, the recent Bleeker was swapped out on GoComics with the creator posting an apology and explanation of comic timelines.

loving laaaaaaaame. I kind of hope it accidentally ran in some newspaper today, although I pity that paper's editor.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Moomin didn't greet Stinky with "hullo, Stinky" so this storyline is bullshit

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

That last panel was taken from the minutes of the Brooke McEldowney Fan Club.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

I must say, I would have guessed that this strip had pretty much reached its feasible limit of unfunny offensive/bigoted stereotypes, but here we are.

I look forward to being hate-surprised again!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

:perfect: Seriously.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

I'm cracking up over that last panel

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons - look at these flagrantly copied panels

Dark Side of the Horse

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Tooth Boss doesn't even care. As soon as his golden parachute is ready, he's gone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Strontium posted:

Dead people show more emotion.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Dead people show more emotion.

Dead people were alive once.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Strontium posted:

This strip is worse than retail and dilbert mashed together.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert returns to it's regular monotony.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (April 19, 1929)

Peanuts, Starring A Beagle In Exile (June 20, 1969)

Funky AND THEN THEY FUCKEDbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 7-8, 1929)

Thimble Theater (January 4, 1930)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Know what? Dog Comix, that's what.

Pooch Café (reruns)

Man, early Pooch Café was pretty boring sometimes.

Ballard Street

That's not even the first time Sparky's done something like that. I remember because I made an av out of it:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I greatly enjoy that the answer to her question is, "Yes, but only one of them, and she's only half, and you can't tell by looking at her."

Manuel Calavera posted:

The entire premise of this strip is that Dilbert hates his job. Yet he can't concieve why he'd want to ever take a vacation. Scott Adams; however, really loves his job. Who needs a vacation when you have a lot of money and only have to sit down for a couple of hours to bang out a month's worth of strips before going back out to the golf course or the MRA meeting or whatever?

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Adams really has full-on disconnected from reality. I've met a few co-workers over the years who just never go on vacation, but most of them weren't doing any better career-wise than anybody else. In most cases they'd held the same position for decades, and were super smug about it. Great fun at parties, these folks!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're the people who think Soylent is a good idea because it removes all that time wasted preparing and eating food when you could be working.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 25, 1951)

Barnaby (October 30, 1942)

Nancy (July 9, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 22, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 20, 1923)

Barney Google (April 7, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 4, 1936)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

So, his dad, his son, and his dog. Who's number four?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardeem posted:

So, his dad, his son, and his dog. Who's number four?

Cobra probably.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chimeric posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

How many base jumpers died today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Nenonen posted:

How many base jumpers died today?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/06/33-year-old-italian-basejumper-dario-zanon-dies-on-mont-blanc

• Locked thread