Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They'd get dumped on if they said "we can barely afford to localise the good games, we're not going to bother localising the bad ones" so they don't say anything.

The disappointment that is the game's ending doesn't make it a bad game. It's not. I had a really great time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Certain circumstances are kind of getting in the way.

Now let me sum it up, it was a strange set of circumstances

(strange set of circumstances)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was this kind of coyness about Investigations 2 that made the future of the series an uncertainty for the West for like three years. Of course, it's not as bad now since we are getting Spirit of Justice, and digital distro probably makes localization a slightly more feasible decision for main series games, but I wish they'd just tell us. I won't mind, I've already come to terms with the fact that I'm probably not getting it until the 3DS can be hacked.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm probably not getting it until the 3DS can be hacked.

(psst)

(it can)

(sorry to say it)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WELL

THEN SOMEONE GET ON A PATCH

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

WELL

THEN SOMEONE GET ON A PATCH

https://gbatemp.net/threads/project-the-great-ace-attorney-dai-gyakuten-saiban-fan-translation.427572/

They already got together. Last year. They aren't done yet but have gone through a few topics on gbatemp. It won't be a localization just a translation. Most of the text is already done since they have permission to use some sub group's translation.

Also I guess they've done some edits to the game itself.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

havenwaters posted:

It won't be a localization just a translation.

That doesn't sound worth it to me

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

havenwaters posted:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/project-the-great-ace-attorney-dai-gyakuten-saiban-fan-translation.427572/

They already got together. Last year. They aren't done yet but have gone through a few topics on gbatemp. It won't be a localization just a translation. Most of the text is already done since they have permission to use some sub group's translation.

Also I guess they've done some edits to the game itself.

quote:

We are simply doing a direct translation, however we will make sure it isn't awkward at all to read in English. But, we will not go out of way to "Americanize" any elements in the game.

What is this horseshit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Are these people even Ace Attorney fans?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Are these people even Ace Attorney fans?

I'm pretty sure it's the same people who did the frantranslation for Fire Emblem Fates, so maybe they aren't fans of the concept of localisation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same people who did the frantranslation for Fire Emblem Fates, so maybe they aren't fans of the concept of localisation.

OH GOD NO PLEASE KEEP THEM AWAY.

I didn't want it this way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Lmao welp

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finally an uncensored Ace Attorney game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly not doing an americanization for the game that takes place in ye old Japan is fairly reasonable, but lol at any chance of it being any good if it's by the Fates patch people

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope the people how did AAI2 get back together and kill them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

multijoe posted:

I hope the people how did AAI2 get back together and kill them

I will loving come back for that.

And they better not put in the ellipses I take out this time.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

honestly not doing an americanization for the game that takes place in ye old Japan is fairly reasonable, but lol at any chance of it being any good if it's by the Fates patch people

I mean the Fates patch was originally just supposed to be a menu patch, so maybe when the goal is to actually translate the game (and the script is done for them by other people) we'll actually get a good result?

Seriously tho if the game doesn't talk about Meiji era America then what's even the point?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cake Attack posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the game takes place in England.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, most of the game takes place in England, so the Japan thing is only a big issue with Ryunosuke and the first case. But still, it sounds like they're not even going to try to get any of the tone of the games, which is a shame.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Phoenix Wright's direct ancestor, Ryunosoke Naruhodo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh I'm not too familiar. Still I don't necessarily think they're wrong to keep the very blatantly japanese protagonist japanese and such

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

oh I'm not too familiar. Still I don't necessarily think they're wrong to keep the very blatantly japanese protagonist japanese and such

Passing off blatantly Japanese things as American is part of the charm at this point and I am irrationally mad that they've ignored the opportunity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Phoenix Wright's direct ancestor, Ryunosoke Naruhodo.

Make his last name Raito, they Anglicized it to Wright when they immigrated.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Make his last name Raito, they Anglicized it to Wright when they immigrated.

It's a new generation of the Light/Right/Wright conflict! :allears:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should go the other direction and give us the well-known Japanese detectives, Shaarokku Hoomuzu and Airisu Watoson.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Passing off blatantly Japanese things as American is part of the charm at this point and I am irrationally mad that they've ignored the opportunity.

doing it with this game would mean ignoring large portions of the plot from what I've read, whereas with stuff like AA5 all they needed was one line about immigrants. AA's localization is funny and all, but it really wouldn't work for this one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto posted:

doing it with this game would mean ignoring large portions of the plot from what I've read, whereas with stuff like AA5 all they needed was one line about immigrants. AA's localization is funny and all, but it really wouldn't work for this one.

Sure, maybe with THAT kinda attitude, Negative Nancy.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

Oh, well that's fair then.

They should still localise all the British people's names, assuming they're still puns (unless the Japanese names are already English puns?)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What'd they do with to it, outta curiosity (and as someone who's never played an FE game)?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

What'd they do with to it, outta curiosity (and as someone who's never played an FE game)?

How do you feel about the most literal and dry translations you can get to fit in 3DS text boxes?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

It was a mostly dry, boring translation filled with poor grammar and spelling, from the bits of it I've seen.

It was about as good as your average half assed anime fansub.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Fates has an English release. They did a separate translation because there were some small localalization changes they didn't like (in all fairness I kinda agree with some of the changes being dumb, but they're also super small)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Fates has an English release. They did a separate translation because there were some small localalization changes they didn't like (in all fairness I kinda agree with some of the changes being dumb, but they're also super small)

In the interest of fairness the fantranslation was before the English release/localisation kerfuffle, it was more of a case of people wanting the game in English RIGHT loving NOW.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same people who didn't finish the fan translation for Fire Emblem Fates before disbanding

Yeah, pretty much. And it's not called Fates, you pleb.

Regalingualius posted:

WE SHALL NOT STAND THE REMOVAL OF MOLESTATION MINIGAMES, FURTHERMORE NAMES OF UNITS

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Foglet posted:

Yeah, pretty much. And it's not called Fates, you pleb.

Well yes, but the full title of The Nintendo 3DS video game titles Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, with bonus additional third game Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation doesn't have the same ring to it imo

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well yes, but the full title of The Nintendo 3DS video game titles Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, with bonus additional third game Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation doesn't have the same ring to it imo

No, what I mean is that it's "Fire Emblem if" in Japan, and the fan patch authors prefer to call it as such.

The Fire Emblem thread on SA dot com is titled the way it is for a good reason.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

whoosh

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Foglet posted:

No, what I mean is that it's "Fire Emblem if" in Japan, and the fan patch authors prefer to call it as such.

The Fire Emblem thread on SA dot com is titled the way it is for a good reason.

I am not aware of this "Fire Emblem if" you refer to. Are you perhaps thinking of the Nintendo 3DS video game titles Fire Emblem if: White Night Kingdom and Fire Emblem if: Black Night Kingdom, with bonus downloadable third game Fire Emblem if: Invisible Kingdom? It's understandable, we all make mistakes.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Are you perhaps thinking of the Nintendo 3DS video game titles Fire Emblem if: White Night Kingdom and Fire Emblem if: Black Night Kingdom, with bonus downloadable third game Fire Emblem if: Invisible Kingdom?

NOT AT ALL

I WAS REFERRING TO『ファイアーエムブレムif』AND NOT MUCH MORE, WHAT ARE THOSE WHITE OR BLACK KINGDOMS YOU SPEAK OF

But that's enough words about burgers in the glorious Ryūichi Naruhodō thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They're actually called Turnabout Trial in Japan

If you were a true fan you would know this. Get out of my thread.

• Locked thread