Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Thon Maker is gonna be good

The Curious Case of Thon Maker

quote:

Maker set the combine records by a player 6'11"+ for both standing and max vertical with jumps of 32" and 36.5" respectively. For reference, those leaps are better than what both Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan recorded at their own respective combines. When packaged with his 7'1" height in shoes and 9'3" standing reach, that means Maker is immediately giving teams nearly twelve vertical feet of rim protection from a standstill, and well over twelve feet when on the move.

From an agility standpoint, it only gets better. Maker led all big men in the lane agility, shuttle run (except for Zhou Qi somehow posting a 2.9), and three quarter sprint drills. His shuttle and three-quarter sprint times were both notably faster than that of draft darling Denzel Valentine, and he also beat out other wing players such as Malachi Richardson.

quote:

"When I'm on an NBA team I'm going to get my apartment five to ten minutes walking distance to the practice facility. I'm going to live in the gym. I'm just ready to go to work every day. I want to be picked early, but I also want to go where it is a good fit."

"If you put me in a wide pin down, Iverson cut, stagger double, horns action, or any pinch post action I can score or help my team score. I can hit the trailing three or pick and pop off the ball reversal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaPxvoz8iv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im on the Thon train. Knicks need to trade something and have twin towers for next decade.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

I dunno that he sucks as much as he's like physically unable to play NBA basketball. He'd go super high if he were 6'1" but he is so loving tiny both in height and weight
Agreed. I imagine that his ceiling is like Tyronn Lue or someone like that. I can't imagine him on an NBA basketball court

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Lakers Thom workout (for 32) went really well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wade Baldwin is the highest ranked prospect the Kings have brought in and apparently the Kings were super excited that he came in. I'm going to be so :smith: next Thursday

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wait, HOW long is his standing reach

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
No matter the decade people always fall for the giant human mystery box. And I love it and basketball.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kevin Pelton's projections are out, if you need more meaningless data. He likes Bender.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Everyone in this dang draft is fatally flawed in one way or another. Of the non top-o lottery guys last year, I really liked Norman Powell, because he had the body, the athleticism, and showed he was learning to play. I liked Jordan Mickey for the crafty scoring, Portis for the midrange game and facial expressions, Devin Booker for being the youngest guy in the draft and being able to get to the rim when he was closed out on, and Justin Anderson for the body, the athleticism, and the defense. Pretty good. And it wasn't like I was unique in saying those guys had potential to be decent players, except for Norman, maybe.

This year, I don't know. There are a lot of pf/centers who look like they could be solid backup bigs, but aside from Deyonta Davis I don't really know which ones will and which won't, maybe Cheick Diallo if he gets to run. Every single player outside the top 5 has glaring flaws. It doesn't seem like anyone is too entranced by any of these guys, with the exception of Dejounte Murray.

Patrick McCaw could be Corey Brewer with a jumper, but it seems like really skinny players need to find just the right circumstance to flourish. Thon Maker could be a unique and valuable player, but I don't know, I don't even have a feeling.

Maybe Luwawu is the exception. He'd have to be really bad on offense to not make at least some impact.

Wade Baldwin reminds me a bit of otto porter in that he has a mutant body and is weird positionally, he also has the potential to look really good in precisely the right context, and bleh otherwise. If Reggie Jackson can in the top third of NBA pgs with his terrible awful finishing, there's no reason Wade couldn't be alright. But he shouldn't be this bad. It doesn't make sense. His disinterest in defense is also disappointing.

Do any of you have a special feeling about a player from 10 or lower?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 17, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Everyone in this dang draft is fatally flawed in one way or another. Of the non top-o lottery guys last year, I really liked Norman Powell, because he had the body, the athleticism, and showed he was learning to play. I liked Jordan Mickey for the crafty scoring, Portis for the midrange game and facial expressions, Devin Booker for being the youngest guy in the draft and being able to get to the rim when he was closed out on, and Justin Anderson for the body, the athleticism, and the defense. Pretty good. And it wasn't like I was unique in saying those guys had potential to be decent players, except for Norman, maybe.

This year, I don't know. There are a lot of pf/centers who look like they could be solid backup bigs, but aside from Deyonta Davis I don't really know which ones will and which won't, maybe Cheick Diallo if he gets to run. Every single player outside the top 5 has glaring flaws. It doesn't seem like anyone is too entranced by any of these guys, with the exception of Dejounte Murray.

Patrick McCaw could be Corey Brewer with a jumper, but it seems like really skinny players need to find just the right circumstance to flourish. Thon Maker could be a unique and valuable player, but I don't know, I don't even have a feeling.

Maybe Luwawu is the exception. He'd have to be really bad on offense to not make at least some impact.

Wade Baldwin reminds me a bit of otto porter in that he has a mutant body and is weird positionally, he also has the potential to look really good in precisely the right context, and bleh otherwise. If Reggie Jackson can in the top third of NBA pgs with his terrible awful finishing, there's no reason Wade couldn't be alright. But he shouldn't be this bad. It doesn't make sense. His disinterest in defense is also disappointing.

I'm in the camp that thinks Thon Maker will be good if he goes to the right kind of team

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I like Hernangomez and Yabusele.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Sabonis is going to be a good role player and I like the glove Jr and prince for no good reason

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Prince seems like he could have Demarre Carrol's career

Edit: I just realized this is probably just the dreads and I'm a closet racist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

Kevin Pelton's projections are out, if you need more meaningless data. He likes Bender.

Why do they still do insider.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

morestuff posted:

Prince seems like he could have Demarre Carrol's career

Edit: I just realized this is probably just the dreads and I'm a closet racist
If you're not a closet racist you're not going to go far in mock drafting

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I like Hernangomez and Yabusele.

and for guards: Demetrius Jackson and Deandre Bembry.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
SI.com has a 10 minute movie on Dragan Bender, where he comes from etc.

http://www.si.com/nba/video/2016/06/15/who-is-dragan-bender-si-films

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im still on Thon train and on the anti Malachi Richardson train. Also, Kay Felder being the next NateRob, being a p decent role player for a decade. Id take a flyer on him at 35ish

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not in the Malachi Richardson camp, I just have him drafted so high because he clearly has a draft promise from someone in the late lottery.

My guy out of the top 10 this year is probably Maker, but I like Zhou Qi too.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

I'm not in the Malachi Richardson camp, I just have him drafted so high because he clearly has a draft promise from someone in the late lottery.

Me too. I think he'll be like evry other cuse guy and flame out hard

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Me too. I think he'll be like evry other cuse guy and flame out hard

You know who was a cuse guy? Dion Waiters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers met with Ben Simmons yesterday so I guess that psychodrama is over.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

Like, did they ambush him at a Chipotle and give him their 30 elevator speech?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

He also added TWENTY POUNDS OF MUSCLE!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Like, did they ambush him at a Chipotle and give him their 30 elevator speech?

Dinner but they also got his full medicals which is all Colangelo probably wanted.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

He also added TWENTY POUNDS OF MUSCLE!!!!

Ahem *coughs* NBA weight training

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm really more surprised Dunn doesn't want to workout than anyone else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

Dinner but they also got his full medicals which is all Colangelo probably wanted.

Que the "Colangelo still hasn't made up his mind" story tomorrow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Que the "Colangelo still hasn't made up his mind" story tomorrow.

My hunch was that those were stories planted to put pressure on rich Paul (which lol putting pressure on Rich Paul) and also doing a favor for Ingram and the Duke connection which is obv strong between the Sixers and Duke.

Or maybe Colangelo is an idiot who would do something crazy like draft the wrong guy #1.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

My hunch was that those were stories planted to put pressure on rich Paul (which lol putting pressure on Rich Paul) and also doing a favor for Ingram and the Duke connection which is obv strong between the Sixers and Duke.

Or maybe Colangelo is an idiot who would do something crazy like draft the wrong guy #1.

Well as long as he drafts Ingram or Simmons I think it's going to be hard to do that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here you go Rick

https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/743867447464333312

His source is one of the Colangelos

Enjoy Ingram he looks very good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I'm really more surprised Dunn doesn't want to workout than anyone else.

he's at the point where his stock can only get worse, and also his skillset that's hyping him is not something that shows well in one-on-none's

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

he's at the point where his stock can only get worse, and also his skillset that's hyping him is not something that shows well in one-on-none's

Unless the player refuses, every workout has a competitive element to it, and teams love to do 5 on 5 scrimages with players if they let them, which would show off Dunn's skillset quite well. And usually if one guy agrees to it, the other people he's competing with are compelled to do it as well. If I'm Dunn I want the team I'm trying to get drafted to see what Buddy looks like trying to run an offense full of old men and d-leaguers.

euphronius posted:

Here you go Rick

https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/743867447464333312

His source is one of the Colangelos

Enjoy Ingram he looks very good.

I'll stick with Colangelo himself saying "I change my mind every day."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

Unless the player refuses, every workout has a competitive element to it, and teams love to do 5 on 5 scrimages with players if they let them, which would show off Dunn's skillset quite well. And usually if one guy agrees to it, the other people he's competing with are compelled to do it as well. If I'm Dunn I want the team I'm trying to get drafted to see what Buddy looks like trying to run an offense full of old men and d-leaguers.

That's what Dunn is doing last I heard (a couple days ago)? He won't do one on none workouts, but he will do workouts against other top prospects. Which is exactly what he should be doing because it's the only way the workout will help him, imo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Malik Beasley is good and have always liked Demetrius Jackson even though he kinda sucked last year. For second rounders I like Ben Bentil and think Caris LaVert will be good if he stays healthy (he probs won't)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

You know who was a cuse guy? Dion Waiters

Yeah. And Wesley Johnson and John Wallace and MCW and Grant and about 1000 others that aren't Melo.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Howard Eskin is an idiot who tries desperately hard to remain relevant in the city FWIW

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Chriss was in Phoenix today having lunch with Ryan McDonough
https://twitter.com/stevefoote12/status/743915954036367360

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Howard Eskin is an idiot who tries desperately hard to remain relevant in the city FWIW

If you see the name 'Howard Eskin' attached to any news report, treat it like it's from Broussard or Ford, i.e. full of poo poo.

His son, Spike, is a surprisingly decent journalist who is tight with the younger, Philly sports guys like Bodner, O'Connor, Pavorsky, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh. No . Howard is excellent at front office sources when he's in on the fo. Behind his Buffon Jewish Viking facade is a nominally competent reporter.

• Locked thread