Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Being able to stop enemy momentum by hitting q sounds very effective, I don't know what you're talking about.

It's a matter of what I'll call the "sense of power" from an ultimate. Assuming that I use my ultimate intelligently, it should feel like a moment of supreme power for my character: I use Transcendence to nullify a Barrage, I use Whole Hog to knock two people off a cliff, I use Tactical Visor and run down the really annoying Tracer in the backline, etc. Hitting Infra-Sight and watching six people take a nap behind a wall for 15s is the diametric opposite of what I want people to do as Widowmaker (run into line of sight so I can headshot them). I'd rather they just give her an entirely different ultimate if that was the case, because it's neither fun for Widowmaker nor fun for the opposing team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reaper is self-sufficient and any eliminations will spawn health for him. If Reaper really needs health, he'll come to Mercy, I would never, ever expect it to be the other way around.

So yeah, if a Reaper is constantly demanding heals he's literal trash and isn't deserving of it. Reaper will find you if he needs you, otherwise you don't need to worry about him at all.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

khy posted:

This is too good not to share.

Or not to repost if someone shared already.

Overwatch was disbanded because they caused too much destruction. As soon as they get back together they go right back to it.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Please shoot into the Tovlesteen.

Everyone, when you hear your friendly Zarya telling you to fire at will, fire at will. This is a chance to wipe the other team, not a chance to fall back and leave Zarya alone on the bloody point.

/edit: also, let your friendly Zarya know when you have ult up. She'll line them up, you'll get POTG.
Zarya's ult combos with every other non-support ult. This is fact. Even the other tank ults you wouldn't expect to really put out extreme damage like Mei or Reinhardt since those just make it possible to disable the entire enemy team in one fell swoop before closing in with explosive/hammer-swinging kills.

https://gfycat.com/GleefulBlondAmethystgemclam
(note: despite feeling infinitely more satisfying to do, activating a Reinhardt or Lucio ult in midair will delay the ult until you hit the ground without any benefit which has hosed me up on more than one occasion.)

Vermain posted:

It's not silent, but the audio queue has a greatly decreased radius compared to, say, Deadeye. The main reason it's relatively quiet is that it would otherwise lead to a weird situation where activating Infra-Sight would actually decrease Widowmaker's effectiveness, because everyone would play super cautiously, jump after they rounded every corner, hide behind a Reinhardt shield, or just flat-out not poke their heads out of spawn until 15s have passed.

Thing is, in practice, having it play at full volume it would put it in equal terms with something like Deadeye or Hanzo's Dragon Barf in that all these ults cause experienced players to just hide for a few seconds until the danger's passed. The ult puts the team at a huge advantage, true, but its nature still encourages/racks up kills while also simultaneously leaving it to player execution and aim, as well as not really warning the enemy team.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 17, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

Reaper is self-sufficient and any eliminations will spawn health for him. If Reaper really needs health, he'll come to Mercy, I would never, ever expect it to be the other way around.

So yeah, if a Reaper is constantly demanding heals he's literal trash and isn't deserving of it. Reaper will find you if he needs you, otherwise you don't need to worry about him at all.

Yeah conversely I never go out of my way to heal a reaper unless nobody else needs it and I want some ult charge.

vvv Do you ever just start slamming your head into your desk when you've been in cover for like 2 seconds and then see that at least 4 players on your team died to the dva or mccree ult that you were hiding from. This is legitimately one of the reasons I started playing more mercy.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 17, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I never expect to get any kills with Deadeye as I know as soon as I activate it, everyone is going to run off and hide, which is good because it gives my team a clear path to the objective.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bluhman posted:

Thing is, in practice, having it play at full volume it would put it in equal terms with something like Deadeye or Hanzo's Dragon Barf in that all these ults cause experienced players to just hide for a few seconds until the danger's past.

Unlike Infra-Sight, you generally want to use Deadeye/Dragonstrike when enemies are already in plain view, whereas Infra-Sight is best used when enemies are still hidden in order to give you the information you need to pick them off when they come around corners. Infra-Sight also lacks the raw combat power of either of those two ultimates.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ddraig posted:

These are probably the ones you want to watch out for as they may not be apparant due to the limited nature and them not having incredibly flashy effects if you're not in the immediate area:

Hero: Friendly/Enemy

Widowmaker: No-one can hide from my sights/Personne n'échappe à mon regard
Reaper: Clearing the Area/DIE DIE DIE
Soldier 76: Tactical Visor activated/I've got you in my sights
Zarya: Fire at Will/I'm going for the Tobelstein (actually Ogon’ po gotovnosti but it will never not be this)
McCree: Step right up/It's High Noon

If you hear the first one, it's friendly, and you should probably support them by not blocking them with an ice wall or blocking off possible escapes or shielding them or whatever.

e: Important note for Mei, if you hear "Step Right Up", "Tactical visor activated" or "Clearing the Area" and you have an ice wall up, drop it immediately. There's a greater than zero chance it might be hurting more than it's helping and if it's down you at least have an even footing.
And perhaps the most important:

Mercy: Heroes never die (..for a price) / Helden sterben nicht

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vermain posted:

Unlike Infra-Sight, you generally want to use Deadeye/Dragonstrike when enemies are already in plain view, whereas Infra-Sight is best used when enemies are still hidden in order to give you the information you need to pick them off when they come around corners. Infra-Sight also lacks the raw combat power of either of those two ultimates.

Who cares. Turning a corner only to get headshot instantly cause their entire team has wallhacks is terrible design.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

I disagree with regards to dragonstrike on this, I feel like dragonstrike is best when you have some coordination with regards to where the enemy is and use a line of the map so that the dragon goes through some walls. Alternatively just on a line to the objective you want cleared out. Clear sight tends to weaken the ult because it gives the opponents more time to prepare for it.

ItBurns posted:

This is a lot of bottled-up bitterness.

No it's really just pragmatism, although sometimes your reaper is your best bet for a guardian angel escape, which is even more reason to not already be healing him.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Zoness posted:

Yeah conversely I never go out of my way to heal a reaper unless nobody else needs it and I want some ult charge.

This is a lot of bottled-up bitterness.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I never expect to get any kills with Deadeye as I know as soon as I activate it, everyone is going to run off and hide, which is good because it gives my team a clear path to the objective.

I always get like 1 kill with deadeye

sometimes there's a genji on the other team and that kill is myself

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

And perhaps the most important:

Mercy: Heroes never die (..for a price) / Helden sterben nicht

Mercy's ult phrase isn't terribly important since there's never anything you can do about it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reapers actually love it when you fly up to them and make them glow brightly when they're getting ready to drop down into the back. Gives the enemy team a fighting chance.

(I've had this happen to me a few times, please don't do it Mercy)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I only heal Reapers if they explain to the team what they did to take damage and how they'll avoid doing it again in the future. I keep track of this in a spreadsheet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elman posted:

Who cares. Turning a corner only to get headshot instantly cause their entire team has wallhacks is terrible design.

I mean, I'm certainly not a big fan of Infra-Sight, but that's the reasoning for why it has a very quiet callout compared to other ultimates.

Zoness posted:

I disagree with regards to dragonstrike on this, I feel like dragonstrike is best when you have some coordination with regards to where the enemy is and use a line of the map so that the dragon goes through some walls. Alternatively just on a line to the objective you want cleared out. Clear sight tends to weaken the ult because it gives the opponents more time to prepare for it.

Well, more specifically: you want to use it when you already have a certain level of information as to where the enemy is (generally when they're out in the open or in an obvious chokepoint), whereas Infra-Sight is best used before you can even see your opponents or otherwise have information as to where they are beyond a general "they're probably all stacking around the first point."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Mercy's ult phrase isn't terribly important since there's never anything you can do about it.

It's incredibly important to know about her ult uptime for timing pushes. If they just resurrected and you get a pick, then it's a sure time to push. Yeah obviously you can't prevent what already happened but that information is super valuable.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The blue chevrons above your team turn orange when they take damage, meaning you will always know where at least some of the enemy is at any given time.

If you see a bunch of orange chevrons, there's fighting going on, your dragon would probably be useful.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If it was a crappy one/two revive, the counter is focus-firing the recently resurrected heroes to just finish them off again. Their revival is so heavily telegraphed, and they spend so much time unable to fight back, it's very easy for most heroes to just get ganked again after they get up. That's the big reason why the best Mercy plays involve her saving her whole team after every enemy has blown their ult, because the only way the team was able to get to that position was through extreme damage output. And inversely the worst Mercy plays are when they've just revived their chumps into an ult.

https://gfycat.com/MarvelousUnfoldedDeer
https://gfycat.com/GratefulMadAbalone

Vermain posted:

Precisely, which is probably all the better that Infrasight is silent to enemies unless they're nearby the Widowmaker. Since if the whole enemy team heard "Personne n'échappe à mon regard" the response would vary between hiding and using more caution, or probably more effectively, fighting in the open in one defensible clump.

Dragonstrike's noclip means that it's probably an amazing combo with Widowmaker's ult.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 17, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
One way to improve hanzo's ult would be instead of launching the dragon at his enemies he instead gets to make a wish.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Infrasight is best kept to yourself so you can peek the enemy Widow when you need to. I don't find it particularly useful when I'm not playing Widow so I don't have any qualms with them saving it for personal use if it means 20s of not being shot at.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

I both like and appreciate being healed as a reaper, please don't leave me to die

I especially welcome any and all harmony orbs because then I am functionally immortal so long as I can land my shots

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ItBurns posted:

Infrasight is best kept to yourself so you can peek the enemy Widow when you need to. I don't find it particularly useful when I'm not playing Widow so I don't have any qualms with them saving it for personal use if it means 20s of not being shot at.

You're joking, right? Infrasight is incredibly useful for just about every hero and you're helping your team immensely by having it up as often as possible.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I both like and appreciate being healed as a reaper, please don't leave me to die

I especially welcome any and all harmony orbs because then I am functionally immortal so long as I can land my shots

You're assuming that people are playing their class to 100% and not doling out the tiny amount of power they have based on their personal opinion of your performance and/or their dislike of your character.

exquisite tea posted:

You're joking, right? Infrasight is incredibly useful for just about every hero and you're helping your team immensely by having it up as often as possible.

Killing the other Widow is more important and happens at least once a minute, so it's not like I'm sitting on it the whole round. Let's not go into the realm of hyperbole here.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hm yes I'm going to duck in and out of cover to find a line to fly to a properly flanking reaper and then heal him and then do the same to get back to the rest of my team. Please don't shoot at me as I am doing this entire enemy team. The slight chance that I don't get blown up as I'm trying to do this is definitely worth it.

Theres a hero who has to commit way less to support a reaper in this way, she is a good hero. She is zarya.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ItBurns posted:

"literal wallhacks aren't really useful except on one character in my shooty man game"

:stonk:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

"literal wallhacks aren't really useful except on one character in my shooty man game"

:stonk:

That's not at all what I said but I'm glad that I can help feed your irrational hatred of a fictional sniper.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reapers aren't always stuck by themselves in the middle of no man's land, my friend

zarya also does not do anything like that for reaper like what are you talking about. 2 seconds of invulnerability every 10 seconds is nice but that's not remotely the same thing. like a harmony orb is the best way to heal a reaper on the flank if you wanted to talk about better options

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I only use Infrasight for myself or if a friendly Reaper needs it and has at least silver elims (I have gold). gently caress everyone else.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ItBurns posted:

That's not at all what I said but I'm glad that I can help feed your irrational hatred of a fictional sniper.

ItBurns posted:

I don't find it particularly useful when I'm not playing Widow

It's literally what you said. Tiptoe around what "particularly useful" means all you want, it's objectively useful for everyone.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

It's literally what you said. Tiptoe around what "particularly useful" means all you want, it's objectively useful for everyone.

I don't have a hard time figuring out where the enemies are and would prefer that the enemy Widow be dead. Maybe that's not the case for you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zoness posted:

One way to improve hanzo's ult would be instead of launching the dragon at his enemies he instead gets to make a wish.

I wish for an amulet of life saving.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

No Safe Word posted:

It's useful for everyone but not equally useful. You still have to aim and a lot of characters are pretty zippy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having perfect information on the position of every single enemy in the game for 15s is ungodly strong on every hero in the game. Why do you think having this information isn't "particularly useful" on, say, S76 or Junkrat?

Brannock posted:

It's useful for everyone but not equally useful. You still have to aim and a lot of characters are pretty zippy.

It's useful for predicting flanks and pushes, and gives your own flankers the information they need to more effectively maneuver around the enemy team to take down priority targets like Mercy. Infra-Sight is a godsend when I'm playing Roadhog and need to make a precise hook onto someone when emerging from a blind corner, or Mei when I'm looking to separate the enemy team and take down a few targets at a time.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ItBurns posted:

I don't have a hard time figuring out where the enemies are and would prefer that the enemy Widow be dead. Maybe that's not the case for you.

Lol if you don't understand the difference between having a vague idea where somebody is and knowing exactly where they are

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I play lots of Zenyatta. Does the harmony orb make you more apparent to the enemy team when you're trying to be sneakysneak? Generally, I wouldn't expect to be able to up keep a harmony orb on a Reaper due to line of sight constraints, but even if you break line of sight it will give you 90 HP total. Wraith form might break it instantly though, because Wraith form breaks Discord orbs instantly.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

Having perfect information on the position of every single enemy in the game for 15s is ungodly strong on every hero in the game. Why do you think having this information isn't "particularly useful" on, say, S76 or Junkrat?

It's useful for me to be ressed but I don't expect a Mercy to res me if the teamfight is over and I have time to run back before the enemies reinforce.

Killing the enemy Widow gives you a window to rail on the enemy team and is not coincidentally the best time to make a move for an objective.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
With Mercy's ult, when exactly does it successfully rez?

If I just hear the "Hel" of "Helden sterben nicht" and she dies right then, did it go through?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

With Mercy's ult, when exactly does it successfully rez?

If I just hear the "Hel" of "Helden sterben nicht" and she dies right then, did it go through?

Mercy's ult is the only ult in the game that's absolutely instantaneous. There is no way to 'stop' it from happening.

I consider this fair because Mercy's a flimsy hero with giant glowing wings and should be a focus target anyways, and needs to get near her allies to trigger the revive as well. This is in addition to how easy it is to surround the revived heroes if there's only a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a cat on an apple posted:

I play lots of Zenyatta. Does the harmony orb make you more apparent to the enemy team when you're trying to be sneakysneak? Generally, I wouldn't expect to be able to up keep a harmony orb on a Reaper due to line of sight constraints, but even if you break line of sight it will give you 90 HP total. Wraith form might break it instantly though, because Wraith form breaks Discord orbs instantly.

you glow a little but honestly no, it's not a problem unless you're doing a very bad job of sneaking up on people. the harmony orb goes a long way with reaper because he can already self heal by killing people and the zenyatta doesn't have to be nearby to heal you, unlike mercy or lucio

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head whether wraith form returns the orb tho