Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would live in Sweden in a heartbeat. The problem is that I'm a 5'11" man so I would be confused for a child all the time.
That might not be a problem if you wear pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-beaten-to-death-in-random-attack-at-cvs-police-say/1388378/

Her daughter. I just can't.

Tingles has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Jun 17, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

There was another recent story about a man who randomly grabbed a girl by the hair and tried to brutally yank her out of the store. In front of her mother who desperately tried to fight back. Motive totally unknown.

I just don't know what to think about all this stuff. poo poo's hosed up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mad Hamish posted:

This describes the most recent earthquake I felt where I live - I was at work, and I assumed that it had been one of the exceptionally large women who worked there walking past. The building was poorly constructed and they actually made the floor shake.

I get that at my apartment if the people in the apartment above me walk around with particularly heavy footfalls. It's almost like the building forms a crude resonance chamber.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FourLeaf posted:

There was another recent story about a man who randomly grabbed a girl by the hair and tried to brutally yank her out of the store. In front of her mother who desperately tried to fight back. Motive totally unknown.

I just don't know what to think about all this stuff. poo poo's hosed up.

This is probably the worst such story I've ever heard about. Mom watching her 4-year old daughter ride her bike. Total stranger decides to run up and behead the daughter, despite mom trying desperately (unsuccessfully) to stop him.

That gator story really hosed me up, though. I have a three year old son, and the wife and I had talked about going to Disney World and staying at that exact resort. I can't even imagine what it's like to watch an alligator disappear into the water with your son in its jaws. God. The fact that there were no warnings about gators posted, in a tourist area, is double hosed. I hope they sue Disney World for millions. That poo poo might be obvious to Floridians but tourists aren't thinking about that stuff, especially at a Disney resort.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jun 17, 2016

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
There were several posted 'no swimming' signs. Those are usually placed for a reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

There were several posted 'no swimming' signs. Those are usually placed for a reason.

They are. It's Florida. Any standing body of water that's not a swimming pool is liable to have gators in it, and the resort had a bunch of "NO SWIMMING. DO NOT FEED OR DISTURB THE ALLIGATORS" signs. A two-year-old splashing around in a retention pond exactly fits the profile of ideal prey for a gator.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

If you're being dragged into the water by an alligator does that really count as swimming though?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

They are. It's Florida. Any standing body of water that's not a swimming pool is liable to have gators in it, and the resort had a bunch of "NO SWIMMING. DO NOT FEED OR DISTURB THE ALLIGATORS" signs. A two-year-old splashing around in a retention pond exactly fits the profile of ideal prey for a gator.
It wouldn't occur to me that a "No swimming" sign meant "Wading is dangerous". I would just assume it meant what I've seen it mean elsewhere, that there isn't a lifeguard on duty. Up here in Northern California, there are enormous signs saying that the undertow will suck you out to sea, that people have drowned wading, and that there's no safe way to be in the water at that particular beach. They don't just say "No swimming". (And yet idiots do wade, of course, with their children.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It wouldn't occur to me that a "No swimming" sign meant "Wading is dangerous". I would just assume it meant what I've seen it mean elsewhere, that there isn't a lifeguard on duty. Up here in Northern California, there are enormous signs saying that the undertow will suck you out to sea, that people have drowned wading, and that there's no safe way to be in the water at that particular beach. They don't just say "No swimming". (And yet idiots do wade, of course, with their children.)

Afraid not, in Florida "No swimming" means "Depending on where exactly you are, this pond probably has one or more of a gator, python, or monitor lizard in it." Likewise, the resort's said there's a sign saying "DANGER, ALLIGATORS POSSIBLY PRESENT."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, "No Swimming" doesn't imply "IF YOU WADE HERE AN ALLIGATOR MIGHT EAT YOU" to anyone but Florida Man.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The resorts should have more specific signage and the parents should have heeded what was there instead of letting their kid wade out to a foot deep.

2 year olds can drown in way less water than that quickly even without gators around.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

gently caress the hotel, this is their fault, that's a polite request and not a safety warning. Safety is an interest of mine, and yeah if it is actually important for people not to do something you need to explain why on the signage, or at least make some effort to convey the danger. That signs requests guests not swim but doesn't imply that bad things can be expected to happen. For example, "(DANGER) NO SWIMMING! Alligators live in this water and may attack" with both no-swimming and alligator pictograms.

Also, it seems less relevant in this situation, but psychologically many (if not most) people have an innate distrust of authority and their impulse will be to do the exact opposite of what any authority figure or sign tells them, because obviously if they are being told not to then there is a compelling reason why it would be in their interest to do it in the first place. This is one of the reasons it's so important to include a reason in your sign. For example, "Pleas keep off the grass so it can grow" vs "KEEP OFF THE GRASS".

Alereon has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jun 17, 2016

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
People always have to come up with a reason why it's somehow the victim's fault or how they themselves would have done something differently to reassure themselves that random death is not sometimes just waiting for us and our loved ones just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. People just can't live with the thought that something like this could happen to them, or their children. I promise you it can, and given the wrong circumstances, it will.

A coworker tried to tell me that AS A MOTHER she would've fought the alligator harder because MY BABY. Her: "He just had some 'minor lacerations'". Then she yelled at me when I asked if she was implying that the father (and all fathers) didn't love his son as much as the mother and didn't do all he could possibly do. "DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH I DIDN"T SAY THAT". No, you implied it. OK Crocodile Brandee, you ain't doing poo poo against an alligator in the water unless you happen to be pointing a 12-gauge at it when it jumps out at you.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jun 17, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Apparently the FBI are reopening their investigation on the Original Night Stalker, which is a drat cold case. The history surrounding this serial killer is particularly frightening because he often went after married couples inside their houses, not just folks who lived alone. I have to think they're doing it because they think some new information may come to light. It would be great to see this case closed after so long.

Wasn't there some speculation that the Original Night Stalker was also another famous killer?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Alereon posted:

gently caress the hotel, this is their fault, that's a polite request and not a safety warning. Safety is an interest of mine, and yeah if it is actually important for people not to do something you need to explain why on the signage, or at least make some effort to convey the danger. That signs requests guests not swim but doesn't imply that bad things can be expected to happen. For example, "(DANGER) NO SWIMMING! Alligators live in this water and may attack" with both no-swimming and alligator pictograms.

Also, it seems less relevant in this situation, but psychologically many (if not most) people have an innate distrust of authority and their impulse will be to do the exact opposite of what any authority figure or sign tells them, because obviously if they are being told not to then there is a compelling reason why it would be in their interest to do it in the first place. This is one of the reasons it's so important to include a reason in your sign. For example, "Pleas keep off the grass so it can grow" vs "KEEP OFF THE GRASS".

I'm sure that two year old was really intending to stick it to the man when he waded into the water

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Imagined posted:

People always have to come up with a reason why it's somehow the victim's fault or how they themselves would have done something differently to reassure themselves that random death is not sometimes just waiting for us and our loved ones just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. People just can't live with the thought that something like this could happen to them, or their children. I promise you it can, and given the wrong circumstances, it will.

A coworker tried to tell me that AS A MOTHER she would've fought the alligator harder because MY BABY. Her: "He just had some 'minor lacerations'". Then she yelled at me when I asked if she was implying that the father (and all fathers) didn't love his son as much as the mother and didn't do all he could possibly do. "DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH I DIDN"T SAY THAT". No, you implied it. OK Crocodile Brandee, you ain't doing poo poo against an alligator in the water unless you happen to be pointing a 12-gauge at it when it jumps out at you.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that you don't poke holes in people's hero/revenge fantasies. At the top of the "seriously, don't bother" list are immortal, ultra-powerful, prescient MOTHERS and zombie apocalypse preppers.

"If my kid was choking, I'd give him an inkpen tracheotomy. I saw it on TV. I'd save his life."

"Um why not try the basic 'if someone is choking' steps before sawing a hole in your kid with a dull, unsterilized Denny's steak knife and jamming a dirty inkpen into his throat? You might even be able to clear the airway with your finger if--"

"YOU DON'T KNOW poo poo BECAUSE YOU AREN'T A MOTHER SO SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT MY CHILD"

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jun 17, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cythereal posted:

They are. It's Florida. Any standing body of water that's not a swimming pool bathtub is liable to have gators in it

Fixed, the animal control people have to drag gators out of swimming pools all the loving time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there some speculation that the Original Night Stalker was also another famous killer?

Wasn't this the one where the ONS broke in and killed someone and then another serial killer showed up afterwards and thought they had already killed the person because they were crazy and the police found both sets of prints and immediately started freaking out thinking that a ton of murders were being done by a serial killer dream team?

edit:
And to weigh in on the alligator thing. It's not anyone's fault. It's a freak accident. Disney will make it right as much as it can to the family quickly and quietly and the entire world gets to learn a lesson about bodies of water in Florida.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Jun 17, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't this the one where the ONS broke in and killed someone and then another serial killer showed up afterwards and thought they had already killed the person because they were crazy and the police found both sets of prints and immediately started freaking out thinking that a ton of murders were being done by a serial killer dream team?

I've never heard of this and am failing at google. Is this for real?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Delivery McGee posted:

Fixed, the animal control people have to drag gators out of swimming pools all the loving time.

A fair point. That stuff doesn't even make the news down here anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

I've never heard of this and am failing at google. Is this for real?

It was mentioned in this thread or the last iteration of it with a link, but I can't find it and was hoping somebody would have it handy. I may be remembering it wrong, but it is one of the most interesting things I remember from these threads.

edit:
And I'm not thinking of the Kemper/Frasier/Mullin thing where there were 3 operating in the same area. Though maybe...I really can't remember, I just don't think Kemper had anything to do with it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Imagined posted:

A coworker tried to tell me that AS A MOTHER she would've fought the alligator harder because MY BABY.
Reminds me of the time I read an article about a house fire that killed a few kids and the comments were all "The mom must have did it because if she really cared about her babies, she would have ran into the inferno and died with them."

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that having a child renders you beyond reproach

ftfy

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Delivery McGee posted:

Plus, it's Disney, where normal humans go to shut their brains off. I've personally seen Disney workers have to make people stop going out to the water to take pictures next to the "animatronic" alligator sitting in the weeds off the beach at Fort Wilderness while they wait for their animal control people to come get it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

On one hand everyone should know that Florida has alligators everywhere but on the other hand this knowledge should be conveyed by a giant sign that says WARNING THESE loving MURDER LIZARDS WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR TODDLER

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Control Volume posted:

On one hand everyone should know that Florida has alligators everywhere but on the other hand this knowledge should be conveyed by a giant sign that says WARNING THESE loving MURDER LIZARDS WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR TODDLER

Here we have jellyfish season. The waters on most of the beaches are just filled with loving jellyfish and even the beaches that aren't get big "DON'T loving SWIM HERE BECAUSE WE HAVE THESE STINGING rear end in a top hat JELLYFISH AND THEY WILL gently caress YOU UP" signs everywhere.

Last time there was a news segment where they were interview upset tourists because people were stopping them from swimming in the stinging death waters.

Last time we were under severe hurricane warning, the skies were stormy and grey and the water looked about ready to eat people I got to drive by and see fat tourists arguing with cops about how it was their right as Americans to swim in hurricane waters if they wanted to even though every one of these idiots that dies would inevitably have their family sue the state for letting it happen.

Oh and we have signs that ask people not to punch the seals or curbstomp the sea turtles that come up on shore to chill. Please don't get into fist fights with seals.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.news-journal.com/news/2016/jun/15/two-alligators-rescued-swimming-pool-gladewater/
(edit: article is not unnerving, just "yeah, gators get in pools" because it happened locally the other day)

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jun 18, 2016

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that you don't poke holes in people's hero/revenge fantasies.
Possibly the best advice to ever grace PYF.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Plus if you aren't from Florida, I feel like the fact you are at a Disney resort would give you a sense of security and safety. Like, I'm on a Disney resort, why would there be anything dangerous at a family resort? A sign simply saying no swimming please is in no way enough of a warning that there may be creatures inside that can eat a child.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yeah, besides that the lake is very carefully cultivated to look welcoming. It has a small little sandy beach where the child was wading, it's right by the resort. It doesn't look like a place they want you to keep your children away from. That "warning" sign is totally inadequate, and there's no staff warning people - hell, a lady posted a photo of her child wading in the same place less than two hours later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Plus if you aren't from Florida, I feel like the fact you are at a Disney resort would give you a sense of security and safety. Like, I'm on a Disney resort, why would there be anything dangerous at a family resort? A sign simply saying no swimming please is in no way enough of a warning that there may be creatures inside that can eat a child.

All I know about Florida is that it's full of Florida Man and it's made of gators. I don't know what other people expect from it, but if I ever went there I would expect at least a mugging. Maybe by a gator on meth. :shrug:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because it's a resort doesn't mean you should just throw all awareness away, especially if the location the resort is in is super famous for certain things. Like gators being everywhere.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that you don't poke holes in people's hero/revenge fantasies. At the top of the "seriously, don't bother" list are immortal, ultra-powerful, prescient MOTHERS and zombie apocalypse preppers.

"If my kid was choking, I'd give him an inkpen tracheotomy. I saw it on TV. I'd save his life."

"Um why not try the basic 'if someone is choking' steps before sawing a hole in your kid with a dull, unsterilized Denny's steak knife and jamming a dirty inkpen into his throat? You might even be able to clear the airway with your finger if--"

"YOU DON'T KNOW poo poo BECAUSE YOU AREN'T A MOTHER SO SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT MY CHILD"

Ugh. Seconding this. I basically ended up screaming abuse at some randoms I met at a friends party shortly after the sydney lindt cafe seige shooting.

I tried to politely explain how their plans of disarming the crazed gunman who also claimed to have explosives wouldn't work without likely getting a bunch of people killed, and that until someone actually gets killed its prob safer to do nothing and hope it plays out.

They also had a better tactical plan for how the police should of dealt with it and one went on to explain it's one of his dreams to end up in "a Die Hard type situation" so he could save the day. By this stage I had had enough drinks to start to start abusing them at length. Otherwise it was a good party.

I find in general people are pretty terrible at any task they are not specifically trained and experienced in. I work as a paramedic and find that even something like a new piece of equipment that I am unfamiliar with can make a high pressure job stressful.

Even when asking the family of a sick patient to do basic stuff like bringing all the patients medications or turn the lights on while we are running a resus they will often not be able to do it without being repeatedly asked.

Honest question how would you even get the child out of a gators jaws? I doubt you could pry them apart on any decent sized animal and you can't just pull the kid free. Gouge its eyes?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Mad Hamish posted:

This describes the most recent earthquake I felt where I live - I was at work, and I assumed that it had been one of the exceptionally large women who worked there walking past. The building was poorly constructed and they actually made the floor shake.

There was a lil' babby earthquake where I live just this morning.
I was eating breakfast and suddenly all the windows in the house started rattling and poo poo. I thought it was a truck going past, but then noticed every dog in the whole neighbourhood was going nuts. So I started trying to figure out what the gently caress. A sonic boom from a jet? Did a meteor just blow up over me? Was some farmer nearby blasting out a treestump early in the morning like a dumbass? It never occured to me that it was an earthquake though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

turntabler posted:

Honest question how would you even get the child out of a gators jaws? I doubt you could pry them apart on any decent sized animal and you can't just pull the kid free. Gouge its eyes?

I think the eyelids are even armored on a loving gator. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to try and keep the thing in the area until it decides to let go of the kid. If you can get your arms around the midsection you might be able to keep it from swimming away. Of course it can sit at the bottom of the pond a lot longer than you can, so hopefully the other parents join in and help you pull the gator and the kid out. I don't think there's much else you can do without a weapon.

You should probably just not put anything in a gator's mouth unless you are prepared to lose it.

Edit
Props on the EMT stuff. I worked in a county hospital for a few years, and it is amazing to have the leisure to watch other people in these situations constantly. I've seen medical staff react to things in the blink of an eye, handling incredibly difficult situations with poise and grace brought on by years of experience and training.

I've also watched two RNs get into an argument over how to do chest compressions properly, instead of relieving the EMT who looked like he was about to have cardiac failure himself.

Chichevache has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jun 18, 2016

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Celery Face posted:

Reminds me of the time I read an article about a house fire that killed a few kids and the comments were all "The mom must have did it because if she really cared about her babies, she would have ran into the inferno and died with them."

There was a really good article about this posted in this thread not long ago, and it really shows you how damaging stuff like that can be.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Well, they just found 12 girls in a Josef Fritzl-type situation in Pennsylvania. If you want to find the news about it, the dude is named Lee Kaplan, but the stories all broke so early that the really crazy details will no doubt emerge and be clarified later.

quote:

Twelve girls, ranging in age from six months to 18 years old, were found Thursday inside the home of a Bucks County, Pennsylvania man, who has been charged with allegedly sexual assaulting one of the girls from 2012 to 2015, according to NBC10.

The suspect, Lee Kaplan, 51, allegedly fathered at least one of the children, the six-month-old, according to the report.

Police are also investigating an allegation that one of the teenage girls was sold by her parents to Kaplan. The parents are in custody, police said.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

R.L. Stine posted:

There was a really good article about this posted in this thread not long ago, and it really shows you how damaging stuff like that can be.

I really like the part where the courts decide that if you refuse to pretend you're guilty then that means you're super duper guilty. And that the parole board guys can just not read anything, wave their dicks in the air and go home and congratulate themselves on a job well done. Boy howdy do we have a good justice system.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

turntabler posted:

If they're anything like crocodiles, then large caliber firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

According to folk wisdom, rubbing an alligator's belly puts it to sleep. So, you know, someone try that and I'll be standing over here.