Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you dont live in the USA, then having a gun isnt a right.
Ok, perhaps "legal entitlement" is a better term.

I'm not going to go back over the specifics of firearms, or the rest of the conversation that's been happening, because it's pretty clear where people are standing on it, and they're not going to move, but this is something that I want to address in a more general sense:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Prove you need it.
I'm afraid I have a problem with this attitude in general. I don't believe that people having to submit their "need" for something so it can be decided if it is "allowed" is the baseline society should run on, and I don't see any validity in saying "oh, but in this specific case..." If you're not asking people to give you something or pay for it, whether or not you "need" it is of no importance to anyone else.

Seen this "well, why do you need that?" all too often, and the frustrating bit is it seems extremely common with people who believe themselves to be (and generally otherwise are) open/liberal about personal freedoms.

Noise Complaint posted:

Can you explain to me what I'm supposed to do in this case if it's 2am and a predator has gotten into my livestock?
Get to the chopper?

Biodome posted:

The Hound before the fire.
Reality is even funnier:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, goats aren't cheap, and there was a good chance it'd live. Coyotes are free.

How much are goats?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

How much are goats?
To keep, or by the hour?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've been driving the BMW about instead of selling it because the Vivaro decided to start pissing brake fluid out of a rear caliper 400 miles after its MOT. The BM alarm has now decided to go off randomly (like at 4:15 in the morning :bang: ), so it can now only lock with the key instead of the buttons. To top this off the barrel in the driver door lock broke... and only the drivers door has a key hole. It also needs a service now because I've put so many miles on it, and I still haven't figured out why the traction control isn't working. loving cars, man.

spog posted:

Ginger Crunch Creams for my brekkie.

I feel they are a classier version of Oreos.

Tesco Value Ginger Nuts here. 25p a pack and the tastiest ginger nuts ever to grace my mouth.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

spog posted:

How much are goats?

Same as in town.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why does anyone in the US care about what Australians or Europeans think about our gun rights anyway? Let them be incensed as they want.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stump posted:

Tesco Value Ginger Nuts here. 25p a pack and the tastiest ginger nuts ever to grace my mouth.

I've had tastier gigner nuts in my mouth.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, goats aren't cheap, and there was a good chance it'd live. Coyotes are free.

That was me by the way, hah.

Yeah, dairy goats are ~$250 on the low end, without papers, no pedigree, maybe a barnyard mix. The one that got out and into poison was a purebred Nubian with a dairy pedigree, papers, and proven breeding ability. I had only had her for a couple weeks, and had gotten medicine and charcoal into her and she was still drinking and standing up. She's since died despite my best efforts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cakefool posted:

Any interest in a general garage thread? There's some great garage builds going on but there must be more of us with space to discuss/brag/lament about. Even if it's "this is the tree I work under" or "I'm building a carport"

Or is this just something to discuss here?

Sounds good. Everybody can post pictures of their horribly mismanaged workspaces.

And guys like Kevbarlas and Slung Blade and the spyder can all stay the hell out so they don't make the rest of us look like clowns.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'll give a thread a go later then. No gunchat, promise.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We close on the house Monday provided the final duct inspection doesn't turn up anything bad.

New garage motherfuckerzzz, and a workshed out back!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Signed my son up for a special baseball camp, one week with a college coach to improve on skills. Yesterday the coach took me aside to tell me my son has natural talent with a swing better than some high school players, and has never seen an 8 year old with a passion to play like he does.

Proud papa :shobon:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
NICE.

I played a lot of baseball growing up. 13 years of it. Got quite a few scholarship offers and was looked at pretty seriously by pro scouts. After my last game, I walked to the dumpster, threw my gear in it and never looked back.

Now football...That was my jam. But I had zero interest in being a scout teamer for any Div I team, though I probably could have played Div II. LOVED football. The contact, especially.

But since I'm older, and have a kid, I actively discourage him from playing football, give him some encouragement for baseball (it's hardcore down here), and actively encourage golf. I have so many aches and pains and lingering issues from football; not to mention my brain is probably good and scrambled. About the only baseball we play is catch in the backyard. Good natural throwing motion, and pretty sticky glove hand.

Good little golfer, though. Its hilarious teaching him though.
kid: I want to do it my way!
me: ok, go for it
kid: <swing and a miss>, <chunk>, <top>
me: ok, now do it my way
kid: <swing and smashes a nice high draw>
:aaaaa: DID YOU SEE THAT

rinse and repeat

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. I got him to play golf for awhile, but once he started baseball he completely lost interest in it. He wants to play football too, but if that ever happens it won't be for awhile. I'm hoping he stays with baseball, if he stays at it and ends up with a scholarship to play I'd be the happiest dad in the world.

How the hell could you pass up a scholarship offer? Your parents must have went nuts :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
No sports but motorsports :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uggggggghhhh my friend bought a Volvo 240 and he keeps bringing up and saying "but let's keep it on the DL" and I want to murder him and his bad puns.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Haha. I got him to play golf for awhile, but once he started baseball he completely lost interest in it. He wants to play football too, but if that ever happens it won't be for awhile. I'm hoping he stays with baseball, if he stays at it and ends up with a scholarship to play I'd be the happiest dad in the world.

How the hell could you pass up a scholarship offer? Your parents must have went nuts :v:

I had 9 partial scholarship offers. Thing is, at that time and probably still today, it wasn't a full ride. Most baseball scholarships are only partial in nature due to the limited number of scholarships available. If I remember right, at the DI level the coach had 10 or 11 scholarships to divide out to 25 or 30 players.

But I was just...done. 13 years of it, and at that time, travel teams were starting to be a thing. So, other than football season, I was playing baseball almost year round by the time I reached my sophomore or junior year - which is when pro scouts started to come and see me. I had several offers to play pro ball on the table which was hard to turn down. I was a player. Strong accurate arm, smart, really good bat speed.

My brother was really good. He played 5 years, 3 of which were in the majors. Had a bigger bat than me, not quite as good of an arm. But seeing the grind that he went through first hand made it easy to say "Thanks, but no thanks" and roll the dice on other avenues. His son was better than both of us. Had a pile of scholarships and offers. Walked away from it, but had full ride academic scholarships where ever he applied. So he had other options.

I don't regret it a bit. That said, I do get a bit of a chubby when I hear the crack of a bat or the unmistakable sound of fastball in the pocket.

You didn't ask for advice, but I'm going to give it to you anyway:
1. Don't over throw his arm
2. Make sure he gets his elbow above his shoulder on his throws
3. If they start grooming him for pitching, don't let them even think about teaching, much less throwing, a curve until he matures enough to need to shave every day.
4. Don't over throw his arm

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
gently caress the intel Wireless-N 7260. Three years later and the drivers are still buggy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

But since I'm older, and have a kid, I actively discourage him from playing football, give him some encouragement for baseball (it's hardcore down here), and actively encourage golf. I have so many aches and pains and lingering issues from football; not to mention my brain is probably good and scrambled. About the only baseball we play is catch in the backyard. Good natural throwing motion, and pretty sticky glove hand.

I'm curious and I don't really have anyone else to ask : does the fear of concussions discourage parents from letting their kids play football?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Noise Complaint posted:

That was me by the way, hah.

Yeah, dairy goats are ~$250 on the low end, without papers, no pedigree, maybe a barnyard mix. The one that got out and into poison was a purebred Nubian with a dairy pedigree, papers, and proven breeding ability. I had only had her for a couple weeks, and had gotten medicine and charcoal into her and she was still drinking and standing up. She's since died despite my best efforts.

Sorry about your goat, Noise Complaint :(

mariooncrack posted:

I'm curious and I don't really have anyone else to ask : does the fear of concussions discourage parents from letting their kids play football?

Not yet a parent, but 100% steadfast in my conviction to never ever allow any child I have to play football. There's literally zero upside.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Yes, it's becoming a real concern for a lot of parents due to how much attention CTE is getting nowadays.

Enrollment of kids in football peaked a few years ago and appears to be declining.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tide posted:

NICE.

I played a lot of baseball growing up. 13 years of it. Got quite a few scholarship offers and was looked at pretty seriously by pro scouts. After my last game, I walked to the dumpster, threw my gear in it and never looked back.

Now football...That was my jam. But I had zero interest in being a scout teamer for any Div I team, though I probably could have played Div II. LOVED football. The contact, especially.

Have you read Infinite Jest?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

For me?

Yes, absolutely.

Playing for a small school, I had to play both ways and special teams. On offense, I played RB, defense I played rover or outside linebacker. On special teams, I played the middle or end gunner on kick offs (run like a motherfucker to break the wedge/make tackle), long snapper on punt team (snap and run like a motherfucker to break the wedge/make tackle), that sort of thing. I took (and delivered) a lot of high speed, high kinetic energy hits. This is late 80s early 90s where the gear fit 'good enough'.

Irrespective of my knees being shot, my shoulders sound like gravel, my hands being arthritic...I have no doubt I was concussed many times but kept playing (you just got your bell rung, you'll be alright). My senior year I broke two metacarpals in my hands (kept playing), hyperextended my knee enough to need surgery but only missed two games, probably came thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to dislocating my left shoulder.

I'm 43 and my last x ray of my back (2 months ago), my orthopedist said I have the back and neck of a 65 year old.

It's not just about the concussions. But 12 years of football took its toll on my body and looking back, knowing what I know now? I wouldn't play despite how much I loved it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nope. Why, should I?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pham Nuwen posted:

lmao this ain't tennis.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tide posted:

Nope. Why, should I?

Everyone should read Infinite Jest but I was reminded of it particularly because one of the characters was a huge youth tennis star, then as soon as he started college he gave it up completely and switched to football and went pro.

The book has a lot of talk about highly-competitive youth sports (the author had been a national-level tennis player IIRC and a sports writer) but it's also about drug addicts, wheelchair-ridden Quebecois terrorists, and a weird near-future America.

I finally finished it on my flight back from Italy, then I immediately went back to the start to re-read it. The first parts of the book make a lot more sense once you've read the end, meaning re-readings are rewarded.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Uggggggghhhh my friend bought a Volvo 240 and he keeps bringing up and saying "but let's keep it on the DL" and I want to murder him and his bad puns.

oh my god I never made this pun when I had my 240

I am ashamed at my missed opportunity.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The 4.0L V6 in Nissan Xterras, specifically the 2007 model year. How tough are they? What about their transmissions?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had a friend with one for a few years. Towed a 18' or so RV with it too and never had a problem. Seemed pretty comparable to the 4.0 V6 in my Taco but that's all I got.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I was trying to move the conversation to cats from guns due to the large amount of people posting ITT about guns in America that have no business doing so. It's like a whole bunch of virgins telling a married man what pussy is like.

E: I just strung my 7 string RG with two low C's next to each other and the whole setup is in drop-C. It's p nice.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

straight up if you dont live in america and you dont see the impact that gun violence has on your community on a day to day basis, then nobody gives a flying gently caress about your opinion

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
TW: Gunchat
i would own a gun if i owned a farm, but i don't so i don't. it would be nice to have a shooting range nearby because putting holes in paper rules and i'd love to do it with something more than a bb gun. im not totally unfamiliar with firearms because i have friends in the country and i've been around them when they are shooting things but unfortunately i was already pretty drunk every time so i didnt have a go.

one thing that would be nice for aus gun laws would be more lax suppressor laws for farmers, scares the poo poo out of the dogs even at distance without one and the gunshots are pretty loud even suppressor attached so its not some hollywood scenario where some dude can take down a bunch of dudes silently. semi auto would be nice for rabbits and the occasional kangaroo deathswarm i've seen but i'm less concerned about the semi auto than i am with the sheer quantity of anfo, gelignite and blasting caps i've seen in sheds when scoping out cool old cars.

one thing that would be nice for us gun laws would be some kind of storage requirement like down here in aus where the cops come and check out the storage area with heavy penalties for not following them. i also dont see the point in having a >10 round magazine or a handgun although it would be fun as heck im sure. i read somewhere that the vast majority of gun crime is done by cheap handguns in the states so some sort of floor price on handguns might be something worth looking at. if banning handguns outright would be too problematic to pass (its a democracy after all)

car news: my partner has a 2012 nissan micra and it gets the around same fuel economy as my 1992 volvo 850 (8l/100k). there must be something seriously wrong with the micra and i have no idea where to start. there are no error messages on the dashboard and the fuel isnt going anywhere. its a hateful pos so i honestly hope whatever it is kills it.

in other news: its loving cold in my bedroom at night i'm waking up seeing my own breath and thanks to some fun medication im drenched in sweat. fortunately i have the best cat in the world so i just call him and he jumps on me and warms me up until im finally warm enough to get up and have a shower.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tusen Takk posted:

straight up if you dont live in america and you dont see the impact that gun violence has on your community on a day to day basis, then nobody gives a flying gently caress about your opinion

I just recently had a drive-by where bullets hit the house two doors down(about 40 feet from my house) and shortly thereafter a man was shot to death two blocks away. I heard the shots and it took the cops 10 minutes to get here. In those 10 minutes, my safety is my responsibility. I'm not going outside to shoot criminals, but if they make it inside my house, they will leave with as many holes as I can put in them, with guns/knives/or cat claws. I don't want trouble, but if it finds me, I will not be a victim. If they are breaking into my home, they're likely there to murder me and rape then murder my wife. I will not give them 10 minutes to do so. I live in a lovely neighborhood, and that's just how it is in this part of Houston. There was a shooter here just a couple weeks ago that managed to hit a police helicopter five times and took almost an hour to subdue. They didn't even interrupt tennis for this guy. People in other countries just don't understand that taking away honest people's guns does nothing to stop the thugs and psychos from getting them.

E: to clarify. I had training and qualifications for what's called a CHL(Concealed Handgun License) that I let lapse two years ago. To get one, you must undergo a couple days of classroom education focused on the law with regards to handguns and when it's appropriate to even draw one to fire. Most of the class stressed that you are meant to de-escalate and draw only as a very last resort. I also had to qualify on a shooting range with my pistol at various distances and had to exceed a certain level of accuracy. After that I was fingerprinted and then thoroughly background checked by the local police and the FBI. It's serious business. Texas laws are very strict about where you can and cannot carry. I don't want to hurt anyone and I've only accidentally shot a bird at a shooting range. I don't even hunt. I only have a Smith&Wesson .44magnum revolver locked in a safe for home defense. I would like a shotgun, because every criminal here knows what a 12 gauge shotgun sounds like when you pump it, and it's an amazing deterrent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqJGL1VA7c&t=81s

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 17, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

I was trying to move the conversation to cats from guns due to the large amount of people posting ITT about guns in America that have no business doing so. It's like a whole bunch of virgins telling a married man what pussy is like.

Tusen Takk posted:

The discussion was largely about the UK. The people relating stuff to the US were generally American themselves.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Girlfriend's Prius got smashed by a dump truck yesterday. Cue hysterical phone calls, bailing on work early, and general un-fun stuff. She's okay, the guy who was driving the dump truck is gonna have a much worse day soon, I hope :argh:

leica posted:

Signed my son up for a special baseball camp, one week with a college coach to improve on skills. Yesterday the coach took me aside to tell me my son has natural talent with a swing better than some high school players, and has never seen an 8 year old with a passion to play like he does.

Proud papa :shobon:
Baseball is the best sport of all time hands down no question. Happy for you guys!

edit: gun chat: nobody will change anyone else's opinion, everyone's gonna die, nothing will ever change. let's go back to talkin bout cars and whatever :v:

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 17, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

The discussion was largely about the UK. The people relating stuff to the US were generally American themselves.

ah okay i kramered into that discussion

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tide posted:

For me?

Yes, absolutely.

Playing for a small school, I had to play both ways and special teams. On offense, I played RB, defense I played rover or outside linebacker. On special teams, I played the middle or end gunner on kick offs (run like a motherfucker to break the wedge/make tackle), long snapper on punt team (snap and run like a motherfucker to break the wedge/make tackle), that sort of thing. I took (and delivered) a lot of high speed, high kinetic energy hits. This is late 80s early 90s where the gear fit 'good enough'.

Irrespective of my knees being shot, my shoulders sound like gravel, my hands being arthritic...I have no doubt I was concussed many times but kept playing (you just got your bell rung, you'll be alright). My senior year I broke two metacarpals in my hands (kept playing), hyperextended my knee enough to need surgery but only missed two games, probably came thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to dislocating my left shoulder.

I'm 43 and my last x ray of my back (2 months ago), my orthopedist said I have the back and neck of a 65 year old.

It's not just about the concussions. But 12 years of football took its toll on my body and looking back, knowing what I know now? I wouldn't play despite how much I loved it.

Nope. Why, should I?

Counterpoint: I played football (tackle) on asphalt playgrounds from 2nd-6th grade, then played both sides of the ball organized tackle for 7 years including a year as a WR at a Div-II school (also in the same era as you, when the high school and junior high helmets were 10+ years old and "It kinda fits" was good enough) and I never got a single lingering injury playing football, have many great memories and life-long friends from it, and would wholeheartedly recommend my 5 year old nephews to play if they want to. It made me exceptionally good at catching things with one hand! A critical career and life skill.

Note: This may only apply if you play one of the soft positions like QB/WR/CB like I did (and Tide didn't). But, football is fun and cool and even if you don't let your kids play organized tackle, there's nothing better than beating your punk-rear end brother/cousin/friend on a sick out-route to the pylon and your dad (playing all-time QB) nails the throw perfectly just as you break into your cut, before you've even started to turn around to look for the ball.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BloodBag posted:

Please explain to me why I have no business talking about gun control in america 🤔

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

corn in the fridge posted:

Please explain to me why I have no business talking about gun control in america 🤔

What does corn know about guns?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

drat some sick anecdotes about guns and football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

What does corn know about guns?

better question, why are you guys still replying to this poo poo tier troll?

• Locked thread