Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There was article about Witch-hunts for gay men in the military it had something to do with Aids hysteria. Going to try to dig it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
And before someone gets it twisted, DADT was a horrible policy that deserved to go away. It was monstrous policy and a nightmare to serve under. Next week marks my 6th anniversary of getting out of the military and I'm still dealing with the emotional and mental scars.

That said it was the best possible outcome at the time.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I've heard similar stories from my uncle (career Navy): it was seen as imperfect to say the least, but it was actually a step up and more importantly officially recognized that gay people do indeed exist.

To give some hilarious context to this: in the 1980s the navy was investigating homosexuality in their ranks and heard the term friend of Dorothy. They thought there was an actual woman named Dorothy and that she was at the center of some kind of gay conspiracy. This of course led to an actual search for her in the hopes of revealing the names of gay sailors.

It was a very crazy time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^This is horrible and I'm so sorry for anyone caught up in that but this is the funniest loving story about government sanctioned bigotry I've heard in a while.

"WE HAVE TO FIND THIS DORTHY LADY ALL THESE HOMOS ARE FRIENDS WITH"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And before someone gets it twisted, DADT was a horrible policy that deserved to go away. It was monstrous policy and a nightmare to serve under. Next week marks my 6th anniversary of getting out of the military and I'm still dealing with the emotional and mental scars.

That said it was the best possible outcome at the time.

Yea we should never pretend DADT was a GOOD thing, but we also can't act like there was some BETTER solution on the table Clinton walked away from. It was a terrible stopgap to fix a horrible problem, there's no excuse for it taking so long to fix but when people act like it was Clinton somehow making GBS threads on gays it's just absurd.

It's almost as if up until very recently gay rights were a constant struggle to even get weak, half-assed, reforms to fix absolutely horrific abuses of basic human dignity or something.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 17, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Bill himself admitted that the policy was a failure, I don't hold anything against him since I think his heart was in the right place but it didn't reduce discharges to the extent it was expected to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost as if up until very recently gay rights were a constant struggle to even get weak, half-assed, reforms to fix absolutely horrific abuses of basic human dignity or something.

It's shocking just how dramatically that's changed in recent years. My uncle's a submarine guy, and he said he'd never served on a boat where people gave a poo poo. He said subs are a place where things like that don't stay secret and in practice no one gave a gently caress.

Might have just been what he saw, though, or maybe submarines are truly a different environment from the rest of the military.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

Bill himself admitted that the policy was a failure, I don't hold anything against him since I think his heart was in the right place but it didn't reduce discharges to the extent it was expected to.

DADT feels very "separate but equal" to me. I don't think progress and compromise mesh well, but I wanted to get thoughts from people who actually lived through it before passing judgment on it.

If going back later and repealing the law you created is considered a great step forward, I don't think they can really argue it was a stepping stone for the LGBT community. I'm not LGBT myself though, so this is just conjecture.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

oh you're a Berniebro looking for sick :shillary: burns

well take it from an actual gay veteran DADT was a poo poo policy but it was better than witch hunts

edit: and the law was repealed and replaced with no restrictions. so it went aggressively seeking out and showing gays the door -> keep your mouth shut and everything will be "ok" -> full and open service

if you can't recognize that's a positive incremental situation I don't know what to tell you aside from don't forget to breathe

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Reik posted:

DADT feels very "separate but equal" to me. I don't think progress and compromise mesh well, but I wanted to get thoughts from people who actually lived through it before passing judgment on it.

If going back later and repealing the law you created is considered a great step forward, I don't think they can really argue it was a stepping stone for the LGBT community. I'm not LGBT myself though, so this is just conjecture.

Progress is almost always a series of compromises moving from supression to equality. A few hundred years ago, gays were sinful abominations to be purged. Then they were criminals to be punished nonlethally. Then they were just mentally sick. Now they're people who are a little different, but deserve equality in most everything, and hopefully soon that'll just be "gays are people."

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not every MSM has HIV though. If they are monogamous and know they and their partner are HIV free it makes zero sense unless you think it spontaneously generates.

Seriously there's no good excuse except "gays icky ".

According to the CDC roughly one in eight people with HIV aren't aware they're infected. Which is, if anything, a lower percentage than the percentage of ostensibly monogamous relationships that aren't.

Hermetic posted:

He's eilther too stupid to understand you, or trolling. Either way, the kid's not worth your time.

You seem to be taking this weirdly personally. Do you have an actual argument you'd like to make?

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 17, 2016

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Yes why would someone in an LGBTQ thread be taking someone's lovely justification of a harmful homophobic stigma personally? HMMMMMMM...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm shocked that that known contrarian-poster and QCS superstar the insect court has taken up a contrarian position in a thread in D&D.

A position that coincidentally lets him be just a bit biased against gay people.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
God stop taking this so personally, it's not like people have spent the past 36 years claiming AIDS was a punishment from God for homosexuality or something. drat oversensitive fags.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's worth remembering the Clinton's platform in 1992 had been to remove restrictions on gay people in the military completely, but conservative democrats had teamed up with the republicans to block it. They were threatening to reaffirm the existing investigate and dishonorable discharge status quo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

It's worth remembering the Clinton's platform in 1992 had been to remove restrictions on gay people in the military completely, but conservative democrats had teamed up with the republicans to block it. They were threatening to reaffirm the existing investigate and dishonorable discharge status quo.

The Clinton white house was literally the first time in American history we had a white house actively on our side in basically any way. First major (out) gay appointments, major pushes for HIV/AIDS coverage in medical benefits, hell they were even on the 'hey maybe stop bullying gay kids, I bet that's not good for them' train long before everyone else. We literally had people giving impassioned rants about how the clinton white house was the 'most pro-gay administration ever' as a slam on them.

poo poo still sucked, it's like we're an oppressed minority or something, but some non-LGBT dude coming in to be all 'hrm I dunno if you think about it wasn't this just basically separate but equal' is loving bonkers.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

oh you're a Berniebro looking for sick :shillary: burns

well take it from an actual gay veteran DADT was a poo poo policy but it was better than witch hunts

edit: and the law was repealed and replaced with no restrictions. so it went aggressively seeking out and showing gays the door -> keep your mouth shut and everything will be "ok" -> full and open service

if you can't recognize that's a positive incremental situation I don't know what to tell you aside from don't forget to breathe

I'm sorry that instead of assuming how I felt was correct I decided to go ask people who actually went through DADT to discuss it with them before coming to any conclusions.

You loving got me, dude.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Clinton white house was literally the first time in American history we had a white house actively on our side in basically any way. First major (out) gay appointments, major pushes for HIV/AIDS coverage in medical benefits, hell they were even on the 'hey maybe stop bullying gay kids, I bet that's not good for them' train long before everyone else. We literally had people giving impassioned rants about how the clinton white house was the 'most pro-gay administration ever' as a slam on them.

poo poo still sucked, it's like we're an oppressed minority or something, but some non-LGBT dude coming in to be all 'hrm I dunno if you think about it wasn't this just basically separate but equal' is loving bonkers.

Yeah people saying that the Clinton's don't support the LGBT community because of Marriage act and Clinton's continued insistance that she does not support gay marriage til 2013 is kind of what people focus on ,but they really did do a lot of good for the community when Bill was in office.

Reminder Joe Biden voted for DOMA.

People can change their viewpoints and opinions. If they change them for the better then that's even better because someone's mind has been changed.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cythereal posted:

It's shocking just how dramatically that's changed in recent years. My uncle's a submarine guy, and he said he'd never served on a boat where people gave a poo poo. He said subs are a place where things like that don't stay secret and in practice no one gave a gently caress.

Might have just been what he saw, though, or maybe submarines are truly a different environment from the rest of the military.

The navy has always been a different sort of place. Every sailor has known gay sailors throughout all time. Admiral Mike Mullen was part of the force that finally got rid of DADT and forced the services to be open. From the start of his time as chairman of the joint chiefs he pushed for repeal. He talked about gay sailors he served with in vietnam and that no one gave a gently caress then or should now.

I knew a ton of gay sailors, both men and women. The only time it ever was an issue was because of a rank issue never anything else. No one cared. The only time it was an issue was when an chief was loving a seaman (high rank to low rank) underway pretty openly. It was on an all male ship. The rank thing was the only problem. The chief ended up losing his anchors and being forced to retire. The other guy was just transferred to a new command.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reik posted:

I'm sorry that instead of assuming how I felt was correct I decided to go ask people who actually went through DADT to discuss it with them before coming to any conclusions.

You loving got me, dude.

Don't get salty because you got caught fishing. :D

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Don't get salty because you got caught fishing. :D

You're the one that called me a "Berniebro", a term used to insinuate sexism, so yeah I got a bit salty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The navy has always been a different sort of place. Every sailor has known gay sailors throughout all time. Admiral Mike Mullen was part of the force that finally got rid of DADT and forced the services to be open. From the start of his time as chairman of the joint chiefs he pushed for repeal. He talked about gay sailors he served with in vietnam and that no one gave a gently caress then or should now.

I knew a ton of gay sailors, both men and women. The only time it ever was an issue was because of a rank issue never anything else. No one cared. The only time it was an issue was when an chief was loving a seaman (high rank to low rank) underway pretty openly. It was on an all male ship. The rank thing was the only problem. The chief ended up losing his anchors and being forced to retire. The other guy was just transferred to a new command.

Ah, didn't know how much truth there was to that being a general Navy thing rather than specifically a submarine thing. My uncle always said submariners are a weird breed in the Navy, but that might be him just telling stories.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No, submariners are loving weird. Your uncle was right on that, too. But basically no one gave a gently caress about gay people.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

49 gay people were murdered recently in americas deadliest shooting but I think we should also take time to mourn an additional casualty: the pride of a straight dude who got called a berniebro on the internet

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
RIP Straight Pride (lol I wish)

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Control Volume posted:

49 gay people were murdered recently in americas deadliest shooting but I think we should also take time to mourn an additional casualty: the pride of a straight dude who got called a berniebro on the internet

When you think about it, those people are dead, and free of pain. But his butthurt will continue for DAYS.

The pain may even force him to stop being an ally. :(

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MaxxBot posted:

God stop taking this so personally, it's not like people have spent the past 36 years claiming AIDS was a punishment from God for homosexuality or something. drat oversensitive fags.

"stop being offended" they said to the people who consistently have been treated as subhuman for their whole lives

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Are all of your posts this terrible, or is this one just exceptionally bad?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reik posted:

it's good actually

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reik posted:

that was a great post, sorry berniebro

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

After careful cross examination of this dudes posting and popular 4chan slang, Im proud to announce that reik is now officially lgbt

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Reik posted:

Man...I was going to recommend you just apologize and move on. But now you've gone down the bad path.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

After careful cross examination of this dudes posting and popular 4chan slang, Im proud to announce that reik is now officially lgbt

Maybe he and jivjov can form a support group :cabot:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
there should be a version of the die cis sscum gif but with straight instead of cis

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it's been a good run of 14 pages.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Maybe he and jivjov can form a support group :cabot:

I stopped reading the last thread when every other page was people roleplaying how they would totally own Kim Davis in an argument. What ended up being the deal with jivjov?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GlitchThief posted:

I stopped reading the last thread when every other page was people roleplaying how they would totally own Kim Davis in an argument. What ended up being the deal with jivjov?

If the majority will not stand up in support of the minority, it's all for naught.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

GlitchThief posted:

I'm fuzzy on the details but basically

"what about the straights"

"lol no one gives a poo poo"

"i'm taking my ball and going home"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm fuzzy on the details but basically

"what about the straights"

"lol no one gives a poo poo"

"i'm taking my ball and going home"

thank loving god

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Note to straight people posting here in the future: Take note of the last few pages, and just don't mention that you're straight and you won't have bigots jumping down your throat at first opportunity.

Also please don't let this thread paint your picture of the lgbt community. It's underscored here but they are for the vast majority a lot of good, friendly people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Note to straight people posting here in the future: Take note of the last few pages, and just don't mention that you're straight and you won't have bigots jumping down your throat at first opportunity.

Also please don't let this thread paint your picture of the lgbt community. It's underscored here but they are for the vast majority a lot of good, friendly people.

:what:

• Locked thread