Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sounds like something they should have used on the show.

ah probably a little too unrealistic. reality is stranger than fiction, I like to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Hey guys, just saw this article. Thought I'd share

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still think that potato gun's going to spur the idea for some low-cost micro-satellite launching system. The Hooli Spudalite System, and they'll be forced to pay Bighead royalties.

Especially when it looked like Bighead was going to replace Gavin as CEO, I thought he was going to salvage his co-director's project (the bionic monkey prosthetic) to give actual legs to his moonshot proposal of the brain computer interface for Nucleus and be trumpeted as a true genius to Gavin's fuming consternation.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They should give Bighead rollerskates like that guy from Lycos.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone at work was talking about a great NYTimes article about tech CEOs on rollerskates. Can anyone point me the link.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Inkspot posted:

They should give Bighead rollerskates like that guy from Lycos.

That makes no sense, who would ever wear rollerskates at the office?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

withak posted:

Someone at work was talking about a great NYTimes article about tech CEOs on rollerskates. Can anyone point me the link.

Found it!

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hey did you guys see that article about how an entire department at Alta Vista had to wear those heely shoes?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Have you guys seen the video for Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up?"

You should check it out. It's pretty cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

tarlibone posted:

:perfect:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
What the hell do CEOs on rollerskates have to do with Silicon Valley? Is there a connection?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Avasculous posted:

What the hell do CEOs on rollerskates have to do with Silicon Valley? Is there a connection?

I would guess there's an essay somewhere that explains it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

tarlibone posted:

:vince:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I would guess there's an essay somewhere that explains it.

I hate having to dig for these things.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
American CEOs rollerblade like THIS

European CEOs (over there, Her Majesty's Premier Chancellors) rollerblade like THIS

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What is this ceo on rollerblades thing everyone keeps referring to?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiddleOne posted:

literally spoilers for next season, idk how anybody is avoiding probations for not using tags.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The real life Omar actually survived a jump from the 6th floor, not the 4th, but the writers thought it would seem too unrealistic to the audience

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

They met with a Google techie who runs the GoogleX group and he wore rollerblades while talking to them.

He also fell over when trying to badge out of the meeting area .

also TJ Miller negged Elon Musk after the screening

quote:

Some Valley big shots have no idea how to react to the show,” Miller told me. “They can’t decide whether to be offended or flattered. And they’re mystified by the fact that actors have a kind of celebrity that they will never have—there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but that’s the way it is, and it kills them.” Miller met Musk at the after-party in Redwood City. “I think he was thrown by the fact that I wasn’t being sycophantic—which I couldn’t be, because I didn’t realize who he was at the time.

He said, ‘I have some advice for your show,’ and I went, ‘No thanks, we don’t need any advice,’ which threw him even more. And then, while we’re talking, some woman comes up and says ‘Can I have a picture?’ and he starts to pose—it was kinda sad, honestly—and instead she hands the camera to him and starts to pose with me. It was, like, Sorry, dude, I know you’re a big deal—and, in his case, he actually is a big deal—but I’m the guy from ‘Yogi Bear 3-D,’ and apparently that’s who she wants a picture with.”

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 18, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
TJ also put his balls on Elon's Tesla

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

priznat posted:

TJ also put his balls on Elon's Tesla

It's how Elon Musk cured his bald spot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TJ Miller is the people's champion!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Come on guys, we have one more round of this in us before the next episode drops.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nah. Let's go back to arguing about tabs vs. spaces. Unless someone can provide documented evidence of Astro Teller wearing kneepads...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just wonder why the dude is so wobbly on Rollerblades if he wears them all the time :confused:

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

If you actually search eric blachman in google you get the article from the show.

http://www.coderag.com/is-erlich-bachman-the-dumbest-man-in-tech/

The comments are the best part.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone wanna talk about buyng puts on this trade?.......Just kidding, it's not public yet........but now that we know Bachman's out....

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Eegah! posted:

If you actually search eric blachman in google you get the article from the show.

http://www.coderag.com/is-erlich-bachman-the-dumbest-man-in-tech/

The comments are the best part.

And the comments section actually might work?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It's a real comment section anyone can post to. I'm surprised HBO is okay with that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Swastikas ruining CodeRag's comments section would be a funny subplot on the show, doubt they'd care. It's just an easter egg for fans.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can someone remind me (not of the new yorker article but) what the Blachman/Bachman joke was? I do not remember it at all and so that is flying right over my head.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

VagueRant posted:

Can someone remind me (not of the new yorker article but) what the Blachman/Bachman joke was? I do not remember it at all and so that is flying right over my head.

Erlich is such a Z-lister than they misspelled his name in the White Pages because no one cares about him despite his perception that he is the next Steve Jobs.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Then going off on a tangent about it during the TV interview which was supposed to be centered on Richard and Pied Piper.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Electromax posted:

Swastikas ruining CodeRag's comments section would be a funny subplot on the show, doubt they'd care. It's just an easter egg for fans.

My favorite tie-in ad was the time they put billboards up on the always hideous 101.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Skynet!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Jarad with the Saveeeeeee!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bill Hader was listed as a guest star in the credits but I don't recall seeing him. I'm assuming he was the voice of Pipey?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Jared :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The ending without any music was spot on. I enjoyed this episode more than any other so far this season.

• Locked thread