Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
buses are crap b/c they hafta use surface streets and typically share the road w/ traffic and can't preempt traffic signalization and this all makes them slow and impossible to accurately or consistently schedule

long haul buses are more ok tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buses are crap b/c they hafta use surface streets and typically share the road w/ traffic and can't preempt traffic signalization and this all makes them slow and impossible to accurately schedule

agreed but if ur dealing with a local govt as incompetent as useless as chicago you can get a bus line to cover a poor neighborhood much more easily than getting proper subways and trains running through. id rather we have a proper radial beltway train system but given how much worse it could be ill take it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
long haul buses are more like trains but faster because they don't make 50 stops an hour

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the bus from Portland to boston is like 1:30 cause the bus driver does like 90 same as all the cars around him.

the train from Portland to boston takes like 3:30 cause it stops every 10 miles

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but then the train has alcohol and is more comfortable. tradeoffs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

agreed but if ur dealing with a local govt as incompetent as useless as chicago you can get a bus line to cover a poor neighborhood much more easily than getting proper subways and trains running through. id rather we have a proper radial beltway train system but given how much worse it could be ill take it

its best use case is as a "bus bridge" stopgap measure in situations like when you've gotta do critical repairs to other, better systems

but yea long term it's just the barest of bare minimum service for poor folks

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there a proper name for the radial +spokes style layout like the Moscow metro cause that's the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao

ttc mixed traffic streetcars represent!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

bump_fn posted:

is there a proper name for the radial +spokes style layout like the Moscow metro cause that's the best

radial and spoke

also people keep trying to get me to suck the BRT cock but lol I have yet to see an implementation that works as planned.

on paper great and I'm all for it but the silver line deployment in Boston is loving criminal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

spoke-hub layout

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
street cars are the worst possible mode of transport. all the downsides of a bus and train combined

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

radial and spoke

also people keep trying to get me to suck the BRT cock but lol I have yet to see an implementation that works as planned.

on paper great and I'm all for it but the silver line deployment in Boston is loving criminal

mississauga has one under construction now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga_Transitway

what there is of it works well, but the connecting routes suffer from the usual issues of insufficiently frequent connections

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also nothing at the top end of the system map exists or will exist before 2025, charitably

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaggar posted:

street cars are the worst possible mode of transport. all the downsides of a bus and train combined

you are right, street cars really are the worst possible mode of transport for society. even streetcars are better (got u)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

yes buses are pointless in maine because things are too far apart to make them worth while for intercity transport and our cities and towns are small enough that you can walk everywhere.

but they're also pointless everywhere else because once your city gets to the point that its no longer walkable, you should start to consider either subway or elevated rail.

subway and elevated are rail are ultra expensive per mile in brownfield areas, requiring increasing property taxes or other taxes

id rather get 24hr bus service for pennies in comparison

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was right

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

other fun options: guided busways

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

you can walk or ride the subway everywhere in boston which is how it should be

shaggar was extremely wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

subway and elevated are rail are ultra expensive per mile in brownfield areas, requiring increasing property taxes or other taxes

id rather get 24hr bus service for pennies in comparison

I'm ok w/ paying for good infrastructure like subway

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

shaggar was extremely wrong

shagger puts his big boy pants on a few times a year and goes to the big city in boston and he feels this gives him enough understanding of what it's like to live somewhere that's not lovely like maine

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
not rly related but i got this for my dad

special ttc edition

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

tell this to boston tia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spectres of autism posted:

special ttc edition

this is pro as gently caress and a seriously good dadgift

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

spectres of autism posted:

special ttc edition

pro gift

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Malcolm XML posted:

electric buses in not-shitholes own sry

london zone 1 needs to go all electric right goddamn now

it's happening friend

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/world-s-first-electric-double-decker-bus-london-a6934646.html

here it comes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

blue-sky speculation about turning a major downtown thoroughfare into a car-free zone in toronto

amusingly, doing so would increase the number of people able to use the street to cross the city core, since transit riders on the route already outnumber vehicle users

let's loving do this thing now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BRT is insanely good in asia apparently

SL1 to the airport is fine, i have always had on time experiences with it

the rest of the silver line is literally just bus, idk why they pretend it isnt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Lmao at the concept of Boston's road system being unfuckedupable

literally just re-mark the comm ave linear park, direct path thru garden, and direct path across the common as proper MUP and ta da! bicycle link from good poo poo on mass ave to no-car zone in DTX

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

instead, right now, if you obey the law, you can either get murdered by cars on boylston or become aggressively sweaty climbing beacon hill for no reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

let's loving do this thing now

i'm down.

gently caress i'll start installing bollards at all the cross intersections tonight if it'll get this poo poo built

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bloody posted:

instead, right now, if you obey the law, you can either get murdered by cars

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/06/15/safety-campaign-points-fingers-at-the-wrong-suspect-keenan.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol loving murder cars

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm on a bus, can't wait for that wifi and usb :hellyeah:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buses are crap b/c they hafta use surface streets and typically share the road w/ traffic and can't preempt traffic signalization and this all makes them slow and impossible to accurately or consistently schedule

buses are actually great. if you run enough scheduling doesn't matter and you aim for a consistent headway. they are cheap and make the rest of your transit system more viable + plus can serve otherwise uneconomical areas.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah buses are extremely good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

buses are actually great. if you run enough scheduling doesn't matter and you aim for a consistent headway. they are cheap and make the rest of your transit system more viable + plus can serve otherwise uneconomical areas.

:yeah:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Shaggar posted:

its also not physically possible due to other things, like buildings and pits of plague victims being in the way

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

yeah im with shaggar that they aren't the only answer and suck balls in isolation but they fill the gaps and are a vanguard for justifying light rail and poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah im with shaggar that they aren't the only answer and suck balls in isolation but they fill the gaps and are a vanguard for justifying light rail and poo poo

cities with excellent rail + busses own so hard, none are in the US

good night bus service gets your drunk rear end home for like $2

buses are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

mishaq posted:

cities with excellent rail + busses own so hard, none are in the US

good night bus service gets your drunk rear end home for like $2

buses are good