Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Hep has taught me to value inner flame more. I previously only really used it via scroll on necromancers, suiciding my zombie squad as a giant bomb on tough enemies. Now I'm learning it on all fire elementalists and it's surprisingly useful when combined with sticky flame or conjure flame. It's a really mana efficient way to clear packs of enemies like killer bees or yaks.

In an entirely unrelated note my deaths to inner flame mishaps has skyrocketed.

Can Of Worms posted:

Denonic guardians won't get angry if you attack (in trunk) so just go hog wild with it.

Oh you're right, I got mislead by the warning if you use it near demons without rElec. They still absorb the damage, but it's been downgraded from game ruining to merely frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Hep has taught me to value inner flame more. I previously only really used it via scroll on necromancers, suiciding my zombie squad as a giant bomb on tough enemies. Now I'm learning it on all fire elementalists and it's surprisingly useful when combined with sticky flame or conjure flame. It's a really mana efficient way to clear packs of enemies like killer bees or yaks.

In an entirely unrelated note my deaths to inner flame mishaps has skyrocketed.

Oh you're right, I got mislead by the warning if you use it near demons without rElec. They still absorb the damage, but it's been downgraded from game ruining to merely frustrating.

Better question is if Oka gets pissed if you do it? I thought for a while he was very sensitive about doing any harm to allies

Also, what the heck happened here?

I'm thinking the exploding sheep somehow detonated before I saw them?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Playing a Kobold Hunter of Trog, got a Labyrinth in Lair and picked up the +3 Cloak of Masochism {*corrode rPois rF+ Regen+}

Would you wear this over a +2 Cloak if you had no source of rPois or rF? Would you enchant the ice dragon hide you found to get Ice Dragon Armour and use this cloak to neutralize the fire vulnerability?

Edit: oh hey, a fire dragon showed up in Lair and dropped a hide too, and I also have the amulet of bloodlust. This game is going interestingly.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 17, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dee Ehm posted:

Playing a Kobold Hunter of Trog, got a Labyrinth in Lair and picked up the +3 Cloak of Masochism {*corrode rPois rF+ Regen+}

Would you wear this over a +2 Cloak if you had no source of rPois or rF? Would you enchant the ice dragon hide you found to get Ice Dragon Armour and use this cloak to neutralize the fire vulnerability?

Edit: oh hey, a fire dragon showed up in Lair and dropped a hide too, and I also have the amulet of bloodlust. This game is going interestingly.

Definitely use the cloak, would probably use the IDA - depending on scrolls and alternative choices. Always use BLOODLUST (but do make sure not to accidentally physically hit somebody with the crossbow and berserk).

With both the *corr and BLOODLUST you will want a little preemptive caution, mostly don't melee if you can't risk berserk.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dee Ehm posted:

I would wear that cloak, period. I would probably not get ice dragon armor though.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So I got an artefact +9 Elec Arbalest with rN+ as a bonus and figured that would be enough to carry me through the game.

... then Trog just gave me loving Sniper.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why were octopode crushers removed from the game anyways?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

because devs have fun

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I haven't played this game since before Ru was even on trunk, did they ever add combat abilities or whatever they were going to do to try to make weapon classes more distinct (other than axes cleaving and polearm reach)?

Did they ever make weapon skill affect attack speed in a non idiotic way so you don't have a weird soft cap for most weapons?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
nope & nope

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't played this game since before Ru was even on trunk, did they ever add combat abilities or whatever they were going to do to try to make weapon classes more distinct (other than axes cleaving and polearm reach)?

Did they ever make weapon skill affect attack speed in a non idiotic way so you don't have a weird soft cap for most weapons?

Ru's on first?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly weapons would be plenty distinct if maces got a small buff (in any number of possible ways) at low weaponskill. Then you'd have axes for cleaving, short blades for stabbing, polearms for reach, long blades for DPS at 12+ weapon skill, and maces as a low-investment option. It's already sort of there, but the distinction between long blades and maces isn't as strong as it should be, imo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Maces are also the hydra-resistant weapon, that's a pretty good distinction.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Maces also have the distinction of being the GSC skill and having many uniques who drop good maces or whips. Long Blades feels like the only skill without a real niche. Axes (or M&F for Ogres) are better for 2H fighters and M&F seems better for 1-handers.

Am I missing some advantage of Long Blades?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i thought the mace <-> long blade thing was that maces were more common to find the high quality ones, in exchange for being less damaging (with the exception of GSC but only a couple races can use those), where long blades are rarer but hit harder, also there are a lot of cool fixedart long blades and not as many of other weapon types i think?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Maces are better for both 2H and 1H. Great maces are a straight upgrade to great swords for the same amount of skill, and "upgrading" to heavier weapons like triple sword/exe axe/bardiche is both often not worth the XP and not reliable, since often you do not find those weapons. Morningstar is the best "common" 1H non demon option, and eveningstar is literally exactly the same as double sword. Long blades are worse M&F in all cases except "I trained short blades and want long blade skill or vice versa", and then also hydras exist and have a dumb gimmick based on the "type" of physical damage received which nothing else in the game works around, which makes them slightly worse again.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Long blades crosstrain with short blades, which makes them useful for stabbers later in the game. Several races also have good long/short blade aptitudes, so they're useful for them.

M&F (Why don't we just call this weapon class "blunt"?) seems good as it is. The weapons are easy to find and work well with shields. Crosstraining with axes is a huge bonus in flexibility too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really miss the weaker stab options that long blades and 1h polearms had. But even with the current system, if I'm going to get some incidental stabbing with my melee (Ru and Hep, among others), Long Blades will provide sbl skill for free to do that with so that can be a reason to choose it.

The maces that really define the class for me for non-Og are whip, dire flail, and demon whip. Whip and dwhip are so fast, the former is great with elec/pain/disto and even drain/venom can be good. Demon whip is even decent with stuff like vorpal, if frustrating at times. Dire flail is a 2-handed demon sword that you actually find early. Works great as a low-skill option when you have other things you want to do, then later you can get a bigger weapon or a shield if you want.

IronicDongz posted:

Maces are better for both 2H and 1H. Great maces are a straight upgrade to great swords for the same amount of skill

Great mace takes 2 more skill for min delay, but gives one more damage (and has less accuracy).

e: I enjoy the hydra gimmick but I don't think they need to heal so much. It should be dangerous to melee them with a blade when first encountered, not just make them near-invincible.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 17, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ah, I forgot it takes 2 more skill. Still, I think great maces are considerably better than great swords, and considering both the XP cost of getting to 24/26 and how much more rare they are, also better than triple sword/executioner axe/bardiche.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's kind of weird how super common bardiche are compared to all the other top end weapons. Vault wardens and Orc knights carry them. Compared to quickblades which are only a rare find on blademasters and the rarer spriggians, or the axe/sword/mace/staff set which afaik only appear on demonspawn. Although I seem to remember spriggian defenders can also have lajatangs, but maybe that's just the Enchantress.

Either way Bardiche are plentiful compared to the other weapon types.

Darox fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 18, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm surprised most of those bardiche enemies can't get executioner's axes. 178 recentish games killed by exec axe, and 167 of those were Rupert. 546 for bardiche, with quite a variety of killers. Unless of course bardiche gets all the kills from reaching, where players get away from the exec user. Even plain orc and wizard have some bardiche kills.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Is this a new volcano?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 18, 2016

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

rchandra posted:

I'm surprised most of those bardiche enemies can't get executioner's axes. 178 recentish games killed by exec axe, and 167 of those were Rupert. 546 for bardiche, with quite a variety of killers. Unless of course bardiche gets all the kills from reaching, where players get away from the exec user. Even plain orc and wizard have some bardiche kills.

I checked recently if there is a guaranteed way to an executioner's axe, turns out only Rupert and Ignacio spawn with them, and Rupert only occasionally. I finally found mine just lying on the floor on Tomb:2 in the junk pile.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way all the weapon classes are 'balanced' by having various weapon tiers have different spawn rates has always been the weirdest poo poo to me

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I've found an executioner's 100% of the time I'm looking for them. Hall of blades is good for it. You're right, there's no guarantee of it spawning, but nor is there for anything in the game, other than branches.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the way all the weapon classes are 'balanced' by having various weapon tiers have different spawn rates has always been the weirdest poo poo to me

I've secretly wanted a weapons overhaul for a long time now. Less weapon types, more egos (maybe different types so you could have multiple different ones), better customization, etc. I'd love a system where your weapons kinda grow with you, y'know? (Not) getting a good weapon in a timely fashion is one of the biggest swing factors for any melee character and being able to get a weapon that will more consistently scale with your power level that you can really make your own would be super cool I think. But that's probably veering dangerously close to crafting territory and would be a nightmare to implement in a way that's both satisfying and not unnecessarily more complicated than the current system of picking poo poo up off the ground so it'll never happen but oh well :o:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

They both woke up :saddowns:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, playing an XL3 GrFE I decided on a whim to pray at the mystery altar, and of course got Trog. Guess I'm about to find out all about his wrath.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My only complaints with the current system are that there's no reason for a non-stabber or VS to use short blades(I know that's its design niche, but no other weapon has a niche that only works with one playstyle or one race), and there's no reason to use axes with shields(shield-wanters might as well transition to M&F, which has slightly better 1H weapons, lower skill costs, and crosstrains with axes).

In other news, entropy weavers are now faster, use corrosion less often, don't spawn in Vaults or Depths, and turned into formicids. Horray?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
broad axes aren't great, but you can absolutely win with them. especially if the axe in question is called 'arga'. sort of hard not to win with that one, really.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

They both woke up :saddowns:

Don't worry, Mennas will silence Khufu for you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The shining eye gazes at you.
Your +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} reflects the Malmutate!
The jelly twists and deforms.

Well that's one way to make up for a lack of rMut :regd09:

Haifisch posted:

In other news, entropy weavers are now faster, use corrosion less often, don't spawn in Vaults or Depths, and turned into formicids. Horray?

Good. gently caress entropy weavers.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

So, playing an XL3 GrFE I decided on a whim to pray at the mystery altar, and of course got Trog. Guess I'm about to find out all about his wrath.

Hope you like having large packs of durably summoned berserked dudes dropped on you at xl3!!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Experiencing a lovely bug where death channel makes hostile spectral things instead of friendly ones. Guess I'm saving this character until this gets fixed!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PleasingFungus posted:

broad axes aren't great, but you can absolutely win with them. especially if the axe in question is called 'arga'. sort of hard not to win with that one, really.

Yeah, I've even 15 runes a couple times off a broad axe, generally with Mi/Gr melee types. Cleave is still pretty good, and the damage is high enough your other stuff (slaying, fighting skill, weapon skill) will usually synergize to put your over the top if you were a melee char in the first place.

Re: Executioners axes - They be rare. Rough memory is off Rupert once, have never seen Ignacio. Hall of Blades in Elf a few times. Same with floor god and buying in a store (usually +0 non-branded). To tell the truth I think I've gotten most of them from Oka. He's usually good for at least one a game, or if not a kickass randart battleaxe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
code:
r - a +2 robe of the Archmagi (worn).

You found it on level 1 of the Dungeon.
:eyepop:

Edit And, of course, got overconfident and died.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 18, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I gave one of my orcish followers an artefact Falchion with *berserk, and he just gets mad and slices and dices and it's kinda awesome.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
So, I need some opinions please. I have a demonspawn that's been using a +4 dagger of pain with 12 necro skill and a buckler of protection, but I don't know what weapon to skill towards. Choices so far:

code:
the +7 great sword of Woe {slice, rElec rPois rN+ SInv}
the +8 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, +Rage rPois rF+ AC+5}
the +2 rapier of Extermination {antimagic, *Drain rN+++ MP+9 Int+4}
I have the magic shield ds mutation, the rapier enchantment is only +2, and the MP+9 is really only MP+3 because it's on antimagic right? Makes it kind of lovely, because it's not easily swappable with the *drain, but it's still antimagic.
The greatsword will crosstrain from shortblades, but Wyrmbane is cool and I could use a shield still.
Thoughts?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd say the GS, personally. Gaining extra enhancement bonuses kind of isn't worth having literally half the base damage of a GS (and that's before Vorpal). But I could be wrong. And unrands are pretty cool.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BeyondRad posted:

So, I need some opinions please. I have a demonspawn that's been using a +4 dagger of pain with 12 necro skill and a buckler of protection, but I don't know what weapon to skill towards. Choices so far:

code:

the +7 great sword of Woe {slice, rElec rPois rN+ SInv}
the +8 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, +Rage rPois rF+ AC+5}
the +2 rapier of Extermination {antimagic, *Drain rN+++ MP+9 Int+4}

I have the magic shield ds mutation, the rapier enchantment is only +2, and the MP+9 is really only MP+3 because it's on antimagic right? Makes it kind of lovely, because it's not easily swappable with the *drain, but it's still antimagic.
The greatsword will crosstrain from shortblades, but Wyrmbane is cool and I could use a shield still.
Thoughts?

Wyrmbane is probably the best weapon in the game.

• Locked thread