Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Sure would be a thing if Oculus room scale games only come out on Steam because it isn't what Oculus is "targeting"

Afaik Oculus is still only officially targeting two cameras in front, so at the very least with Oculus Studio games that would be the case. I imagine too that you would have to also at least support the official setup to be sold on Oculus Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/743472020101332994

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/notch/status/743915341584072708

Called it.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Well I can't wait to see how you go on that. I'm thoroughly pumped up about this photogrammetry now.

It depends how much I'm willing to put into it, really. I didn't take enough photos, hence there being no particular background and lots of missing areas. I'm more likely to go and try some new areas, with different geometry.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know it's his job to snark and all but I really hope this doesn't come to pass

I really want this stuff to be successful :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Called what? Notchyboy taking a swing at a VR game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I know it's his job to snark and all but I really hope this doesn't come to pass

I really want this stuff to be successful :ohdear:

It's pretty natural to be skeptical, watching videos of VR stuff makes the people look silly and watching videos of their perspective isn't that compelling. It's the sort of thing you have to try to really get.

It's obviously way better than 3DTV once you try it out, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lemming posted:

It's pretty natural to be skeptical, watching videos of VR stuff makes the people look silly and watching videos of their perspective isn't that compelling. It's the sort of thing you have to try to really get.

It's obviously way better than 3DTV once you try it out, though.

Oh lord knows, I had a loving hoot in HotDS yesterday and that's not even roomscale :v: Just would be a drat shame if it doesn't take off

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
VR is compelling enough that it's not a matter of if it'll take off, but when. It could definitely take a while based on how things shake out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Warbird posted:

In one of these VR threads I threw out the idea that Valve could do the same as Oculus, to fund VR developers without locking them to one piece of hardware, and then Valve drops this today.

So While Oculus wants to Fund for Timed Exclusives, Valve wants to fund for VR Sake (for the most part at least). So we will see how things go in comparison, but as a Dev, having multiple options to help in funding your creation can't be bad.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
^^^^^^ I'm more than a little disappointed that Valve is the one doing this, given all Palmer Luckey's talk about fostering the technology over all else. But it's pretty clear at this point that the FB acquisition changed that.

a timely and original joke that has not in any way been repeated ad-nauseum for the last 3-4 years :v:

Seriously, the only similarities between 3DTV and VR is that they're both stereoscopic and involve wearing something on your face.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

^^^^^^ I'm more than a little disappointed that Valve is the one doing this, given all Palmer Luckey's talk about fostering the technology over all else. But it's pretty clear at this point that the FB acquisition changed that.

You're disappointed that Valve is (I'm assuming) letting developers keep a larger cut and only pay it off if they succeed? Or you're just disappointed that it's come to this?

Sounds like good news all around to me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Are you not reading the article?

Zero VGS posted:

You're disappointed that Valve is (I'm assuming) letting developers keep a larger cut and only pay it off if they succeed? Or you're just disappointed that it's come to this?

Sounds like good news all around to me.

He's disappointed because Knifegrab was right.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So what is going to be the excuse for Oculus now? Valve paying people to be hardware agnostic while Oculus pays for exclusivity? Where is the narrative going to go?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's certainly good what Valve is doing but it's just another option, not the automatic best thing for everyone to do. A loan (even if there's no risk if you don't make any money, we obviously don't know specifics about what the risk is, but I'll just assume Valve is covering the risk here) is a very different situation from being straight up paid to do something.

There's no way Oculus is ever going to kill Steam especially because it's not like the non-VR game market is going away, and I'm not really expecting things to stay locked down forever, so I think getting more money in the industry so more devs can work on stuff is overall a good thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I kind of want to get a steering wheel and pedals and try out things like iRacing or whatever

But oh crackers I've already spent way too much money on entertainment lately :(

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oh the Sony VR demos have already started. There's one near me that's open over the weekend, I'll probably check it out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lemming posted:

It's certainly good what Valve is doing but it's just another option, not the automatic best thing for everyone to do. A loan (even if there's no risk if you don't make any money, we obviously don't know specifics about what the risk is, but I'll just assume Valve is covering the risk here) is a very different situation from being straight up paid to do something.

Valve is also really the only party in a true position to offer something like this. They are the de facto official PC game store, regardless of if a game is offered on other platforms if it's offered on Steam they know they'll get the majority of the sales. So far the only alternative store that's managed to get anywhere without AAA exclusives is GOG, and while they have strong appeal to those who care about DRM this also really limits their selection so they're not going to be true competition any time soon.

Because of this basically anything that improves PC gaming as a whole makes Valve more money, which is why they tend to seem more benevolent. Valve seems happy to run with the "a rising tide lifts all boats" logic as long as they control the biggest port.

Everyone else investing in VR gaming has to either give Valve a cut or try to sell it on their own.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
E3 was secretly terrible for the future of virtual reality

quote:

Even players who've spent countless hours in virtual reality (like our own Jess Conditt) found themselves on the verge of puking while playing Resident Evil 7: Biohazard -- and it wasn't because of the horror game's gory visuals either. No, it's that the game is pushing the limits of PlayStation's hardware, barely managing to run at the minimum 60 frames per second required for PSVR.

PS4 won't hack it, but Sony's promising support anyways.

Doomsaying is all bluster, though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So Oculus asks for timed exclusivity and Steam asks for the money to be paid back via steam-based revenue? It's no wonder there are so many devs going with Oculus at this point.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

So Oculus asks for timed exclusivity and Steam asks for the money to be paid back via steam-based revenue? It's no wonder there are so many devs going with Oculus at this point.

Really twisting reality to suit your own vision aren't you?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sliderule posted:

E3 was secretly terrible for the future of virtual reality

PS4 won't hack it, but Sony's promising support anyways.

Doomsaying is all bluster, though.

they have seven months to either drop the visual quality or optimize. capcom is very dumb tho. interesting to see develop.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

they have seven months to either drop the visual quality or optimize. capcom is very dumb tho. interesting to see develop.

If Sony doesn't mandate 90FPS, it's going to kill adoption and/or push Neo units.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Really twisting reality to suit your own vision aren't you?

What?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

They are paying developers to be non-exclusive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

He wasn't making a value judgment in that post, just saying it makes sense that there are developers who are accepting the deal that doesn't require them to pay back a loan.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
^^^ yeah, what he said.

Mordaedil posted:

Giving a developer "Pre-paid steam revenue" to me sounds like they are required to sell it on Steam to pay it back to Valve. So it's more a less a loan, which is cool and all, but I could see why a dev would rather just get cash from Oculus for 3-6 months of exclusivity instead. Then after that put it up on steam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm still wondering how effective timed exclusives even are. "Oh no I can't play Giant Cop for a few months I can't wait I'm going to buy an Oculus to play it right now!" or "Oh man I gotta have SUPERHOT VR right now I can't control myself!"
Even Microsoft paid out the rear end for a AAA game in Tomb Raider and it did exactly dick with the Xbox one. Is it just to pad their presentations with 'oh man 30* games!' so when websites report on it the article reads better? Or is it to make sure they use Touch right? Is it to stem the tide? Is it a defensive move?
Is Valve as mad as Zenimax is at Oculus and there is a bunch of spite churning behind all this?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I'm still wondering how effective timed exclusives even are. "Oh no I can't play Giant Cop for a few months I can't wait I'm going to buy an Oculus to play it right now!" or "Oh man I gotta have SUPERHOT VR right now I can't control myself!"
Even Microsoft paid out the rear end for a AAA game in Tomb Raider and it did exactly dick with the Xbox one. Is it just to pad their presentations with 'oh man 30* games!' so when websites report on it the article reads better? Or is it to make sure they use Touch right? Is it to stem the tide? Is it a defensive move?
Is Valve as mad as Zenimax is at Oculus and there is a bunch of spite churning behind all this?

they just did it again for dead rising but capcom is probably a cheaper date than lara croft

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

To me exclusives would make sense financially if Oculus Home supported both headsets. Gamers aren't really known to be patient and I think a lot of Vive users would buy games from Home to play it sooner. It seriously makes no sense to me to lock out ~ half the potential Vr market by blocking Vive And intentionally trying to break ReVive support. It really does make me think there has to be some weird legal or some sort of Mexican standoff going on behind the scenes with Oculus/Valve/HTC.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 18, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just played a game of battle dome and here is my review: holy poo poo buy battle dome right now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure it's a legal thing. Why else would they say it's fine for an individual to add in support for other headsets but not for someone to distribute it. That's a dumb distinction and it sounds like some lawyer made it up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I just played a game of battle dome and here is my review: holy poo poo buy battle dome right now

From what I hear the mechanics are basically like the territory control in Splatoon, is that at all accurate? It sounds like something I'll definitely have to try out when I setup my Vive again

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

KakerMix posted:

Pretend its a year from now, you don't yet have a VR headset and you are considering purchasing one. Both headsets are at feature and price parity, but one headset has exclusive content and the other doesn't. What they are doing makes good business sense, but also they are garbage people for doing it.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a legal thing. Why else would they say it's fine for an individual to add in support for other headsets but not for someone to distribute it. That's a dumb distinction and it sounds like some lawyer made it up.

Honestly it just sounds like corporate doublespeak to me. They want to simultaneously defend their position on things like Revive while holding an indefensible position, and the end result is mental gymnastics.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I want to say that I read somewhere that the Gear VR can only show Netflix content in 720p. Is that limitation due to the gear itself or the phones that are being used to power it? In other words, if I were to hold off and buy a Galaxy Note 7 could I watch my streaming videos in glorious 1080p or is that completely off the table?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

If Sony doesn't mandate 90FPS, it's going to kill adoption and/or push Neo units.

60 reprojected to 120 feels completely fine as long as it's consistent; the problem comes if a games drops below 60 for any length of time, which it sounds like RE7 currently does.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I want to say that I read somewhere that the Gear VR can only show Netflix content in 720p. Is that limitation due to the gear itself or the phones that are being used to power it? In other words, if I were to hold off and buy a Galaxy Note 7 could I watch my streaming videos in glorious 1080p or is that completely off the table?

It has mostly to do with the resolution, I think. Basically, at the resolution they have available, you get super rapidly diminishing returns on how good the image looks and it's not worth the processing cost to do it anymore.

John Carmack talks about it a bit here http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/09/john-carmack-on-developing-netflix-app.html?m=1

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

From what I hear the mechanics are basically like the territory control in Splatoon, is that at all accurate? It sounds like something I'll definitely have to try out when I setup my Vive again
Yeah, its a fairly similar territory control mechanic. You have a paint gun on your offhand with an extremely limited range, but you can teleport to any square of floor your team's color within line of sight. On the map that I played on all the cover was one or two hops away so if you're trying to build up territory you're invariably going to put yourself out in the open for a second which ends up meaning super tense cover to cover shootouts with teams trying to outflank each other. You can also forego the paint gun entirely for more powerful weapons which neuter your ability to capture territory but are significantly better at killing dudes.

The best thing about it though is just the physicality of playing it in room scale. Its one of the best games I've played so far in terms of how thoroughly it uses the space, right up there with Budget Cuts. You have to move all over the place, peeking around corners and over cover, crouching down, hitting the loving deck and doing sweet combat rolls when you see bullets coming your way. Its very intense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lucid Dream posted:

Pretend its a year from now, you don't yet have a VR headset and you are considering purchasing one. Both headsets are at feature and price parity, but one headset has exclusive content and the other doesn't. What they are doing makes good business sense, but also they are garbage people for doing it.

"I heard that Facebook owns that Rift headset and spies on you, is that true? You can't get refunds and all the games make you sick? What do you mean you can't turn around? Who is this Lucky guy? Why is this VR thing more expensive than the other one? Where can I play Fallout? Does the Sony VR thing play Fallout? What is a giant cop?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm a huge Skeptic sssso, do we still need to jack into cyberspace to VR?