Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Alchenar posted:

I think it's a great disservice to HOI4 to call it 'HOI3 with the edges sanded down'.

Back when we did post mortems of HOI3 my view was that the main problem (aside from the obvious game production issues) was that the game was torn between player-as-supreme-leader and player-as-commander-of-armed-forces and as a result the player had too much to do, couldn't do any of it well, and none of it was fun - so everything inevitably got handed over to the AI and you were no longer playing anything. The other problem was that HOI3 had lots of systems which viewed in isolation looked like good ideas, but never really interacted with each other and so were never able to become more than the sum of their parts.

HOI4 resolves that conflict firmly in favour of 'the player is the supreme leader and makes grand strategy decisions' and in my view it's pretty clear that that fundamental underpinning theme is what provides direction and focus to all the different systems and brings them together in a way HOI3 never could.

I think this is spot on. I also think this is why the AI is a little "dumb" out of the box. They aimed to balance it so that people who can't or won't micromanage their front can have a good time in the base game from day one. But it also means that a human player who knows what he's doing can crush the AI, leading to people complaining about the game being too "casual." Mind you this is not an excuse for the AI completely misprioritizing fronts or leaving them entirely empty, but they couldn't balance the game around someone who's played every single HOI game since HOI1 either if they wanted to sell more than 5000 copies.

More to the point, I've played every single HOI and after 30 hours I am still having fun crushing the AI in 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

I think it's a great disservice to HOI4 to call it 'HOI3 with the edges sanded down'.

Thanks, I was going to comment on that too. For HoI4 we very much wanted to make what we thought was a good HoI game rather than "Make HoI3 better".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Antti posted:

I think this is spot on. I also think this is why the AI is a little "dumb" out of the box. They aimed to balance it so that people who can't or won't micromanage their front can have a good time in the base game from day one. But it also means that a human player who knows what he's doing can crush the AI, leading to people complaining about the game being too "casual." Mind you this is not an excuse for the AI completely misprioritizing fronts or leaving them entirely empty, but they couldn't balance the game around someone who's played every single HOI game since HOI1 either if they wanted to sell more than 5000 copies.

More to the point, I've played every single HOI and after 30 hours I am still having fun crushing the AI in 4.

They do need to improve the battleplanner if they're going to work it this way, though, particularly in making it so you can get units to break through instead of dressing the lines endlessly. Right now if you want to do anything except broad pushes you have to use manual control because even if you get breakthroughs it will sometimes poo poo itself making new mini-fronts and assigning units weirdly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Thanks, I was going to comment on that too. For HoI4 we very much wanted to make what we thought was a good HoI game rather than "Make HoI3 better".

I still have no idea what you are going to do for expansions. A few people have mentioned espionage but I can't actually see that working out - I think the game is currently sitting pretty on the perfect number of systems that demand the player's attention. I'd like to see a WW1 scenario and a few Cold War scenarios because I think they could be really interesting with the current system (WW1 would need a few adjustments to how land warfare works in terms of map control).

I'm finding that the Air War suffers a lot from having the crucial info hidden away in a graph that is itself hidden away under a specific map filter - I have absolutely no suggestions for how to change that but I know that information needs to come out. I haven't played with the Naval war much but I gather that there are similar opinions.

But other than that... everything people want seems to come down to 'a bit more spit and polish'.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please add events for anzac

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

please add events for anzac

no way in hell there isnt going to be a commonwealth dlc that fleshes out anzac, canada, india, and south africa

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

corn in the bible posted:

You can definitely tell that hoi4 took three years to make and stellaris maybe one

And it is very accessible and its loving fantastic

Both took about the same time to make.. Hoi4 was just far longer in alpha stage, while stellaris spent more in pre alpha.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like Stellaris needed a nice long delay like HoI got, and I'm sad that Paradox didn't give it that extra development time. I really hope it wasn't shoved out the door for the IPO. :smith:

I mean, I can definitely see the potential I Stellaris to be an A+ game, but as released I feel like it's more of a C+ or B-.

I think Paradox will get it there, but I've put it aside until the first expansion is out.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
One sure-fire way to get me to instantly puke is to say "espionage DLC"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kersch posted:

All the espionage you need is a modifier for the USSR reducing the cost of all techs researched by the US or the UK by 10% per year since they researched it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kersch posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine with espionage just being revealing battle plans, after some patch work to make battle plans more powerful and easy to use. It would be neat to be able to go through the extensive misdirection the Allies did to keep d-day a secret

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I dunno, i know a little about all the batshit things the UK did with there spies for d-day and im not sure how to make it a good gameplay element.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's kind of a weird topic - espionage was a vital part of WW2 so it feels weird not to have it at all, but it's also hard to think of a way to implement it that would actually be fun and meaningful to the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about EU4, I dont know if people oputside Brazil can buy there, but nuuven is having a EU4 sale with pretty good prices

http://www.nuuvem.com/promo/especial-europa-universalis?utm_source=mailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ori-and-the-Blind-Forest-14-06

I'm looking at making a purchase but then I get this message which makes me suspicious:

quote:

Alguns jogos no seu carrinho não estão disponíveis na sua região

google translate:

quote:

Some games in your shopping cart are not available in your region

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine with espionage just being revealing battle plans, after some patch work to make battle plans more powerful and easy to use. It would be neat to be able to go through the extensive misdirection the Allies did to keep d-day a secret

have you seen the AI's battle plans? i don't think revealing them is going to give much of an advantage

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not to mention the AI seems to make a plan for invading every single neighbour it has. You wouldn't be able to see anything on the map but front lines.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Not to mention the AI seems to make a plan for invading every single neighbour it has. You wouldn't be able to see anything on the map but front lines.

To be fair, modern intelligence would probably tell the same story.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

I still have no idea what you are going to do for expansions.

Nazi moonbase.

I'm sure Podcat has some ideas, I don't know now though, too busy making doctors cut your balls off to cure your flu in CK :)

To the nuuvem guy: They got a lot stricter about regions last year, you probably can't buy from them anymore.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Nazi moonbase.

So Groogy's been tasked with making a HOI4 -> Stellaris converter

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

karmicknight posted:

So Groogy's been tasked with making a HOI4 -> Stellaris converter

It wouldn't even be that hard! You'd just need them to type in what name their nation took on when becoming spacefaring, select a good space-age flag for them in case it's changed in the last few thousand years, select some ethos traits that the player feels best represents their government type since that's so subjective. You'd probably need to select which traits mark the baseline Human in this galaxy too, since that information wouldn't be in the HoI 4 save. Then just select a few graphical things like name list, ship appearance and starting weapon and your FTL type and hit generate! It would work perfectly I think

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kersch posted:

If there's going to be DLC, I'd prefer it to be something I'm not interested in so I don't feel compelled to buy it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah a HoI4 to Stellaris converter would just be a new faction mod with a new flag and name for the default human start.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

I still have no idea what you are going to do for expansions.

Go full wargame and release scenario packs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
A fully-fledged National Dog DLC, where different combinations of dogs in your faction unlock synergy bonuses for everyone. This I feel would add a lot of interesting gameplay considerations to the game, and add an immense amount of replayability.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Nazi moonbase.

I'm sure Podcat has some ideas, I don't know now though, too busy making doctors cut your balls off to cure your flu in CK :)

To the nuuvem guy: They got a lot stricter about regions last year, you probably can't buy from them anymore.

I unironically want a paradox cheesy 60s supervillain simulator.

It'd be the world map of evil genius but good.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A fully-fledged National Dog DLC, where different combinations of dogs in your faction unlock synergy bonuses for everyone. This I feel would add a lot of interesting gameplay considerations to the game, and add an immense amount of replayability.

I hear that all the dog files are already completed and in the released game, they are just waiting to sell it as dogloadable canine-tent.

Edit: I'm so sorry

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

You'd probably need to select which traits mark the baseline Human in this galaxy too, since that information wouldn't be in the HoI 4 save. Then just select a few graphical things like name list, ship appearance and starting weapon and your FTL type and hit generate! It would work perfectly I think

You could probably just base the traits off of which HOI4 ideology controls the largest amount of victory points in 1948, combined with what the largest faction leader's military doctrines are, what their relative rocket/nuclear/computer advancement is, and what their industrial strategy (concentrated vs. dispersed) is.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

You could probably just base the traits off of which HOI4 ideology controls the largest amount of victory points in 1948, combined with what the largest faction leader's military doctrines are, what their relative rocket/nuclear/computer advancement is, and what their industrial strategy (concentrated vs. dispersed) is.

The joke is that I just described launching Stellaris and making a new race from scratch. There is 0 point to a converter, you don't need one and it would introduce way too many needless arguments over whether your nazis are collectivist or materialist or whatever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there is a serious problem with hoi4 at present. please include ww2 global power jan mayen in future updates for increased historical accuracy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

National Bears or bust :colbert:

Where would we be without the milhist thread's favorite overhyped Polish bear, as a civilization?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

Where would we be without the milhist thread's favorite overhyped Polish bear, as a civilization?

He's already in the game :ssh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

popewiles posted:

I hear that all the dog files are already completed and in the released game, they are just waiting to sell it as dogloadable canine-tent.

This is it, the greatest post.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

uPen posted:

Go full wargame and release scenario packs.

nooo :( keep it casual!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zombiepop posted:

nooo :( keep it casual!

Actually, what's more casual than scenarios? No long preparations, no unit building, no entire world to look at. Pretty much all you've got is your units, the enemy's units, and a set of goals. I figure that a Spanish Civil War scenario or a Fall Weiss scenario would be good to ease a player into warfare.

Of course, I haven't played HOI4, so I don't know how pointless scenarios would be because of the battleplan mechanics and reduced focus on individual troop movement and the like, since that's what the main focus point of scenarios should be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

please do actually add the custom game function from hoi3 because it was good

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Actually, what's more casual than scenarios? No long preparations, no unit building, no entire world to look at. Pretty much all you've got is your units, the enemy's units, and a set of goals. I figure that a Spanish Civil War scenario or a Fall Weiss scenario would be good to ease a player into warfare.

Yeah you are right, but scenarios are so boring, I would rather see HoI become more grand strategy, Seeing the world facture and rebuild from ww1 to whenever. Just make sure new nations pop up after each major conflict to keep the map fresh.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ahistorical and fantasy scenario DLCs! I want a Sunset Invasion-type DLC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Ahistorical and fantasy scenario DLCs! I want a Sunset Invasion-type DLC.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701260972&searchtext=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zombiepop posted:

Yeah you are right, but scenarios are so boring, I would rather see HoI become more grand strategy, Seeing the world facture and rebuild from ww1 to whenever. Just make sure new nations pop up after each major conflict to keep the map fresh.

That's the opposite of casual friend. You are not casual