Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I rewatched The Prestige last night and it's a really good film, probably Nolan's best and most balanced movie. One thing that I noticed about it this time around is that Angier's transported man trick appears to end with the real Angier being teleported, whereas in the flashback scene of him using the machine for the first time, it seems the real Angier stays put and the duplicate is the transported one. Are we to infer that despite Angier's line about not knowing whether he would be "the man in the tank," that he was in fact always creating and destroying duplicates of himself with the same exact memories and identity, and that the original Angier was killed a long time ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Well, the movie itself tells you it doesn't matter (cf. "they're all your hat") but yes, the original either dies when he tests the machine or the first time he performs the trick.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But as far as I can tell all the clones think they're the original because they have the same thoughts and memories etc... The last thing any of them would remember was being inside the machine so from their perspective they've been teleported out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dokmo posted:

I rented it from google play and unfortunately it wasn't stupid enough to be fun, and far too competent to make fun of. The hero is a fat Korean soldier who can't fight well on screen—Fedor Emelianenko, an actual real life fighter, and really the only reason to watch this, doesn't get much to do.

Fuuuck, that sucks. Did Michael Madsen wake up enough to do any actual acting or did he sleepwalk through the entire film?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FishBulb posted:

But as far as I can tell all the clones think they're the original because they have the same thoughts and memories etc... The last thing any of them would remember was being inside the machine so from their perspective they've been teleported out.

Unless the machine really is teleporting him, but is also leaving a perfect clone behind as a by-product! Really though, "They're all your hat" is the right answer. You know this, because it's being said by David Bowie.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shanty posted:

Really though, "They're all your hat" is the right answer. You know this, because it's being said by David Bowie.

Also the scene where Angier shoots "himself" after testing it for the first time, he's in the midst of yelling out, "no wait, I'm the real -" when he is shot. They're all the real Angier.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well they all think they are.

I don't think the movie tries to argue about what makes some one a "real" version of a person. It's kind of an advanced philosophical question and all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well the movie's themes are all about duplicity and mistaken identities so the ambiguity around whether Angier is the original Angier at the movie's end is probably an intentional choice.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fuuuck, that sucks. Did Michael Madsen wake up enough to do any actual acting or did he sleepwalk through the entire film?

It felt like he put some effort into his role, which was pretty large.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
By the end of the movie there can't be an original anymore if that's the thing we're trying to sort. The first experiment has the distant Angier being shot and killed while the showtime experiments have the stage Angier being killed. If we have to pick one or the other as "original" then it doesn't matter by the end since both versions had been killed during the movie's run time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unless after the first experiment Angier flipped the "teleport dude" switch in reverse so that he'd end up being the transported one!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

dokmo posted:

It felt like he put some effort into his role, which was pretty large.

he squinted like 20% more than usual

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, the important thing to take away from Angiers madness was that no matter who appeared where or was cloned or transported, he thought death was preferable to letting Borden "win".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, the important thing to take away from Angiers madness was that no matter who appeared where or was cloned or transported, he thought death was preferable to letting Borden "win".

I mean, yes. But behind that it was really about the look on their faces.

Madness isn't the right word for it, though. It's obsession, and he and Tesla laid it out pretty succintly:

quote:

Nikola Tesla: Mr. Angier, have you considered the cost of such a machine?
Robert Angier: Price is not an object.
Nikola Tesla: Perhaps not, but have you considered the cost?
Robert Angier: I'm not sure I follow.
Nikola Tesla: Go home. Forget this thing. I can recognize an obsession, no good will come of it.
Robert Angier: Why, haven't good come of your obsessions?
Nikola Tesla: Well, at first. But I followed them too long. I'm their slave... and one day they'll choose to destroy me.
Robert Angier: If you understand an obsession, then you know you won't change my mind.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 14, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Angier could've kept all the clones alive and taken over the world with a million copies of himself. What a fool.

Or just made 9 of them and started a baseball team.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think what makes the Prestige so great is that unlike Nolan's later Batman films and Interstellar, he was just willing to let the characters and cinematography do the work of telling the story instead of inserting all these grandstandy monologues about "I represent this thing and YOU represent that thing do you get it yet audience??" Despite the narrative jumping all over the place you never lose your sense of space and time. It's just super solid all around.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

effectual posted:

Angier could've kept all the clones alive and taken over the world with a million copies of himself. What a fool.

Or just made 9 of them and started a baseball team.

Or just have a bunch of identical assistants. He could disguise them with maybe a fake beard and/or some glasses. They could help him with tricks and all kinds of things. Of course, there might be troubles with Angier's personal relationships.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also Christopher Nolan directing a super serious remake of Multiplicity is something I never knew I needed in my life before now.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

cheerfullydrab posted:

Or just have a bunch of identical assistants. He could disguise them with maybe a fake beard and/or some glasses. They could help him with tricks and all kinds of things. Of course, there might be troubles with Angier's personal relationships.

Or the fact that they're all pathologically incapable of sharing a spotlight.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cutter go through it a couple of times trying to work out the design, but then again I'd watch Michael Caine do just about anything.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

take care when posting with two tabs open

Cerv fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

This isn't the UKMT

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Schweinhund posted:

he squinted like 20% more than usual

He was good in h8ful 8. Basically when the script plays to his strengths he fuckin shines.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
You know, I've seen Escape From LA many times and I've never seen a credited Breckin Meyer as "Surfer" in it. There doesn't seem to be any discussion of him being cut from it online, but could his name still be in the credits if he only filmed a later-deleted scene? Nothing in Google Image Search, IMDB forums... is he in there or not?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOGXZEWmIM

Please tell me this movie is available for streaming somewhere, right now.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Put on yer gamer suits, gents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNMjM4KdWY

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haha wat.

I didn't expect it to actually be a movie. I thought it was an ad for some gaming reality show or something.

I don't understand why the NPC talks in weird digital robot voice.

Yes of all the things in that video, I think that's the thing that makes the least sense.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Snak posted:

haha wat.

I didn't expect it to actually be a movie. I thought it was an ad for some gaming reality show or something.

I don't understand why the NPC talks in weird digital robot voice.

Yes of all the things in that video, I think that's the thing that makes the least sense.

I first saw this like a couple weeks ago(opening this week!) and thinking about that guy's crazy voice still kills me. Just...why???

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pootybutt posted:

I first saw this like a couple weeks ago(opening this week!) and thinking about that guy's crazy voice still kills me. Just...why???

Like video games have completely realistic voices.

Then I got farther into the trailer and I was like "oh... it's SAW but with video games".

Like if SAW and Gamer and Stay Alive all had a baby together. I want to play a game... and if you die in the game, you die in real life.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I like the comments

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

I like the comments

You're right, those are rhe chillest yt comments ever. Bad movies really do bring us together.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

I like the comments

haha, not what I expected. Pretty funny.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the deal with the scenes in Sum Of All Fears where Affleck drives around in a burning city? Why does he drive into the city after stuff goes down? I saw it late last night and couldn't figure out what he was trying to do there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wasn't he trying to find his wife or something?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Its been a while since I've seen that movie but I think hes looking for Morgan Freeman's character after a nuke goes off during the superbowl.

or maybe I'm thinking of a separate movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

0 rows returned posted:

Its been a while since I've seen that movie but I think hes looking for Morgan Freeman's character after a nuke goes off during the superbowl.

or maybe I'm thinking of a separate movie.

That sounds like the movie I'm thinking of. Just picturing Aflac in the helicopter going all damnit I'm in a Tom Clancy novel

poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

syscall girl posted:

That sounds like the movie I'm thinking of. Just picturing Aflac in the helicopter going all damnit I'm in a Tom Clancy novel

poo poo

All I remember about that movie is Clancy and his fans being infuriated that, like just a year after 9/11, the movie producers decided to change the villains from the Muslims they were in the book to neo-Nazis. Because I guess Clancy needed to see his Islamophobia on the big screen or whatever.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I was watching some low budget thrillers from the 70s and noticed that they were filmed without sound, dialogue and sound effects being added later. This was I believe very common. But similar movies made today all seem to have sound recorded as they were filming. When did this change and why? If budget constraints made live sounds unfeasible in the 70s, what changed since then? Some kind of technical innovation? Or am I mistaken in thinking that low budget movies are recorded with sound today, and that ADR techniques have just improved greatly?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

dokmo posted:

I was watching some low budget thrillers from the 70s and noticed that they were filmed without sound, dialogue and sound effects being added later. This was I believe very common. But similar movies made today all seem to have sound recorded as they were filming. When did this change and why? If budget constraints made live sounds unfeasible in the 70s, what changed since then? Some kind of technical innovation? Or am I mistaken in thinking that low budget movies are recorded with sound today, and that ADR techniques have just improved greatly?

Were the movies Italian? Italian films from that period have all their sound done in post for 2 reasons 1) made it easier to dub in multiple languages for the international market and 2) the largest film studio was located like 5 miles from an international airport, so everything would have the live mix ruined by the sound of aircraft landing and taking off.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

dokmo posted:

A lot of those movies were made in Italy and to cater to foreign markets they were recorded completely without sound - even Italian versions are completely dubbed over. They pulled a lot of American actors so it was common to think that it was an American film at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What's the music that plays in this scene in Christine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG5wWl--zw

The song in the second half when she's fixing herself, with the guitar and saxophone, doesn't appear on the soundtrack.

dokmo posted:

Sync audio for a low-budget filmmaker in the 70s would've been a huge pain in the rear end ordeal involving reel-to-reel tapes, boom mics, and prayer (if you haven't seen Blow Out, please do so). Audio tech has gotten a LOT better since, especially with the advent of digital recorders and cheaper wireless mics, but there's still tons of ADR that goes on. I don't remember the number but from what I've heard the percentage of dialogue that you hear in a movie that's ADR is surprisingly high, even/especially on big budget movies.