Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Yeah, it seems intentional that you don't get all the buildings you need for all the units until after/during the Chaos invasion.

That said, there ought to be some late game Chaos stuff if only to make the post invasion gameplay a little more diverse and a little less curb stomping your way to a victory condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pinely posted:

Yeah, it seems intentional that you don't get all the buildings you need for all the units until after/during the Chaos invasion.

That said, there ought to be some late game Chaos stuff if only to make the post invasion gameplay a little more diverse and a little less curb stomping your way to a victory condition.
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe it was because I was way too slow as VC early on, but I pretty much curbstomped Chaos when they showed up, but now I have to deal with an Empire that had been on the ropes but has confederated its way to owning half of Brettonia and most of the Empire that isn't Altdorf, and their very close allies the Dwarfs, who have kicked the living poo poo out of the Greenskins and need to be purged from the mountains, which they own most of except for Zhufbar. Both of those factions confederating the ally of each race that I'd systematically tried to build up to use as weapons against their parent faction sucked. :( The VC endgame definitely seems to be dealing with one/both of those factions and not Chaos.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just move the chaos invasion to later and increase the number of stacks they spawn with to compensate. Even if you don't know any lua scripting the stuff you actually have to change in the chaos_invasion.lua or whatever it was called should be in super obvious english.

Ravenfood posted:

Both of those factions confederating the ally of each race that I'd systematically tried to build up to use as weapons against their parent faction sucked.

This is definitely a complaint I have about the game at this point. Confederation in general isn't quite where I'd want it to be and system-wise it's more obnoxious than fun because there's no way to prevent it on your end. You can work against AI factions military alliance blobbing against you via careful diplomacy, getting them to cancel trade and other minor agreements before they turn into something greater. But confederation? Your 200+ friendly military ally and trade partner can just get instantly eaten up by the guy you're at war with even if you made sure not to bring him in with you, as that would increase the chance of confederation.

The change for this sort of obnoxious behavior is simple--they need to add a check for the power of military allies into the "will confederation work" equation so that a power 4 faction can't instant-grab a power 14 faction allied with the power 1 faction. The power 14 faction--who has 0 settlements currently threatened by the power 4 for real--should never feel the need to give up on and actually end up at war with its power 1 ally just because a power 4 guy might hurt be able to hurt them in theory.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 17, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

I like the feeling of missing out on certain building chains/techs/units/LL builds on any given playthroughs because it means that if I really like a faction I can just start another campaign for an almost entirely different experience. I like the progression of starting with chaff and slowly upgrading your armies. That feeling of progress is the entire reason I play campaigns like TW:W's.

That almost entirely different experience of playing 70% of a campaign with the same limited selection of units.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

deal with an Empire that had been on the ropes but has confederated its way to owning half of Brettonia

This is impossible by the way. The Empire cannot confederate Brettonian territories any more than Brettonia could confederate something like Wissenland. Any faction can only confederate with other factions that make up their "natural" domain.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

This is impossible by the way. The Empire cannot confederate Brettonian territories any more than Brettonia could confederate something like Wissenland. Any faction can only confederate with other factions that make up their "natural" domain.

Nope, it's totally possible. If Marienburg or any of the other factions the empire can confederate with settled in brettonian territories then they get all of those lands upon confederation all the same. Same for brettonia taking wissenland if something they can confederate with already took it.

I also think the AI totally cheats the system in that they absolutely ignore the power equation that you as a player are required to obey when confederating--I've never been able to confederate a faction with a power rating higher (lower) than mine and yet I see the AI do it all the time.

edit: v If he's talking about post-chaos I've seen it happen when bretonnia has been razed. Usually Moussilin, with his ruin-dweller trait, gobbles up all of that land but if dwarves or something else warred him out (rare) then one of the empire minors will settle there. Never seen it happen pre-chaos though, yeah.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 17, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decus posted:

Nope, it's totally possible. If Marienburg or any of the other factions the empire can confederate with settled in brettonian territories then they get all of those lands upon confederation all the same. Same for brettonia taking wissenland if something they can confederate with already took it.

Well I guess it's technically possible in that sense but I have never seen the independent Empire factions makes any significant progress into Bretonnia. This would have to be an extremely unusual fringe case if the Empire confederated it's way into any appreciable amount of Bretonnian land. It's the kind of thing that, even if not technically impossible, would be so absurdly rare that I'd be interested in screenshots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Artois conquered a good chunk of Brettonia, Wissenland grabbed another foothold, Marienburg chased Artois out of their home province, then Empire vassal'd Artois and confederated with Marienburg, Wissenland and Talabecland (my groomed ally) and conquered Middenland. Mousillon somehow exists in part of Averland and whatever-the-hell city is across the pass from Helmgert. I have no idea what happened early on in that game, but its strange. I'm planning on turning on Mousillon long enough to wipe them out to secure a better border, solidify an alliance with Estalia, and maybe prevent both the Empire and Dwarves from going to war with me when I declare on one.
So yes, technically you are correct: The Empire confederated its way into owning most of the Empire and vassal'd most of Brettonia. It means I've got less territory to pillage, but doesn't really help with the number of armies I have to face.

e: Brettonia proper was wiped out before I'd come close to encountering them.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 17, 2016

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Weissenburg conquered Estalia and southern Bretonnia in my Empire game. Wasn,t even a land bridge connecting them.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain to me what brilliant decision made skaelings and those other shitbirds not suffer attrition on undead lands?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Can someone explain to me what brilliant decision made skaelings and those other shitbirds not suffer attrition on undead lands?

Raiding Stance makes you immune to attrition. Skaelings and such do suffer vampiric attrition, but they're almost never not raiding/encamped so it doesn't really hurt them

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Raiding Stance makes you immune to attrition. Skaelings and such do suffer vampiric attrition, but they're almost never not raiding/encamped so it doesn't really hurt them

No raiding stance. Currently at 82% corruption, chaos themselves take attrition, but the developer golden boys just power through without a hitch.
They're a MUCH bigger threat than chaos itself at this point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also depending on the difficulty the AI can have substantial resistance to attrition. By Very Hard it's like 90% or something absurd.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

No raiding stance. Currently at 82% corruption, chaos themselves take attrition, but the developer golden boys just power through without a hitch.
They're a MUCH bigger threat than chaos itself at this point.

Because the Norsica Region has as many settlements as the Empire and most of them generate more income.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Also depending on the difficulty the AI can have substantial resistance to attrition. By Very Hard it's like 90% or something absurd.

I'm serious, they do not take attrition in my game. The little red flashes don't show up, regardless of stance.

Xae posted:

Because the Norsica Region has as many settlements as the Empire and most of them generate more income.

A good 2/3rds of them are already ruins in my game. They can't reinforce anywhere near the front, so they must be fielding seven or eight full stacks at any point.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I imagine the answer is yes, but did they limit the sieges to one side in order to improve AI performance during sieges?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Look at this fucker

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Look at this fucker

Yeah that's a fucker all right! Not sure what to say. Assuming it's not a bug, could it be that the leader/embedded heroes of the stack have some corruption resistance, and that combines with innate AI corruption resistance to top 100%?

I'm theorizing new frontiers of AI assholery here.

Also Chaos armies aren't immune to Vampire corruption and vice versa, right?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm theorizing new frontiers of AI assholery here.

Also Chaos armies aren't immune to Vampire corruption and vice versa, right?

Nope, every pure chaos mob takes attrition damage in my game, and I take attrition damage when I cross the chaos ruins. If you squint and look at my lovely upload, you can se an example of this on my world event bar.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Not-Vikings are legitimately a bigger problem than Chaos has ever or will ever be. gently caress those assholes.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The difficulty levels are kind of annoying. Playing on very hard as chaos the corruption you spread barely matters at all because of all the public order bonuses and whatnot the AI gets. It would be great if they could balance the difficulty without just making some mechanics not matter at all anymore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogarts posted:

The difficulty levels are kind of annoying. Playing on very hard as chaos the corruption you spread barely matters at all because of all the public order bonuses and whatnot the AI gets. It would be great if they could balance the difficulty without just making some mechanics not matter at all anymore.

Yeah, high level Chaos you may as well just ignore corruption completely. Your method of bringing about the End Times lies squarely in beating the southlander's faces in directly.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chomp8645 posted:

Well I guess it's technically possible in that sense but I have never seen the independent Empire factions makes any significant progress into Bretonnia. This would have to be an extremely unusual fringe case if the Empire confederated it's way into any appreciable amount of Bretonnian land. It's the kind of thing that, even if not technically impossible, would be so absurdly rare that I'd be interested in screenshots.

One of the other empire factions took a not-insignificant portion of Bretonnan territory over in my empire campaign. I think they still held it when I beat the campaign so I'll load it up when I get home from work and grab a screenshot for you.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, high level Chaos you may as well just ignore corruption completely. Your method of bringing about the End Times lies squarely in beating the southlander's faces in directly.

I'd love to see a mod that split them up into each of the possible Awakened Tribes to make them less of an immediate pain in the rear end. Plus if one manages to gobble up the rest it becomes Chaos Incursion: Round 2.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rockopete posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Mannfred and the Varghulf. Kill the enemy lords, their army mashes mine due to numbers, and those two still standing and smashing away until the opposition finally disintegrates. Feels a bit cheap after coming from Empire and Dwarfs.

I was having to disengage Glottis every few seconds to run away and charge again, otherwise his leadership plummeted to zero and he disintegrated. Was a bit tedious TBH.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

In my Legendary Dwarf SP game, the Varg were wiped out by Kislev on turn 40 or so. I was agog.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Re: sieges

Do siege towers actually do anything? Seems like they're more of a liability than ladders, considering they'll kill a good third of your unit when they inevitably get destroyed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Do siege towers actually do anything? Seems like they're more of a liability than ladders, considering they'll kill a good third of your unit when they inevitably get destroyed.

If they reach the walls then your actually good units can use them as a staircase to reach the walls very quickly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Put some other dudes in front of them to soak up fire. Preferably something expendable, or something shielded. Lords/heroes actually do a pretty good job since they're such a small, tanky target. Won't work in multiplayer, but the AI will just lay into whatever is closest. You should never ever lose a tower doing this.

Once they get to the walls, towers are super good. Using ladders wipes out your fatigue instantly, takes ages, and forces your units to trickle in one at a time to be picked off. Towers have none of these problems. You can probably get 3 units up there in the time it takes for one to scale with ladders, and they'll be deploying fresh and in a sizable group.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 18, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Units using ladders get a huge disadvantage in melee when they get there

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701170286

Great mod for anyone who's sick of Varg and Skaeling pumping out full stacks of max-veterancy units in a couple of turns. I decided to cleanse the north and while I was able to beat Varg down just fine Skaeling raided one ally too many and next thing I knew was charging back south to replenish units and trying not to get mobbed by horses. I installed the mod and instantly those stacks got cut in half with the hit it puts on their economy. It also caps their recruitment at bronze-3; no idea if they get experience for doing absolutely nothing.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
In my orc game I just had my vassal vampire counts suddenly stop being my vassals with no message in the next turn's message log or anything. Is that an actual mechanic? When I was Chaos even when my vassals decided to quit on me I at least got a message about it...

Look at this fucker

Absolutely no question the game has bugs. I just had an army do a full underground move -> get intercepted by an enemy near their destination -> win the fight and then when i came back to the campaign map my army was at their destination with a full movement bar. Many fleeing armies died that day

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

One of the other empire factions took a not-insignificant portion of Bretonnan territory over in my empire campaign. I think they still held it when I beat the campaign so I'll load it up when I get home from work and grab a screenshot for you.

Cool, I like figuring stuff like this out. Maybe I've underestimated the ability of minors to roll into a major power. Let me know if there were any usual circumstances like "Mousillon raged out of control and weakened Bretonnia a bunch" or something.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chomp8645 posted:

Cool, I like figuring stuff like this out. Maybe I've underestimated the ability of minors to roll into a major power. Let me know if there were any usual circumstances like "Mousillon raged out of control and weakened Bretonnia a bunch" or something.

Yeah, things like that make the game far more fun and interesting for subsequent playthroughs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lol so 10 minutes after my post I load up my Chaos campaign on turn 87 and apparently Bretonnia is totally dead without me ever having met them. I only know this because they are checked off my "destroy these factions list". No idea who done it yet, can't wait to find out.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Varg and Skaeling not taking attrition isn't a bug. Too lazy to check the tables again for sure but I swear I saw that their faction trait was taking no attrition. Not that it really matters on the higher difficulties anyway since 20% of the usual attrition would be like 2 men dead a turn in most cases, maybe 1. And they'd probably actually raiding stance if they were taking the attrition.

Varg and Skaeling suck for multiple other reasons chief among them being "they are boring to fight". Kind of hope they're somewhere in the first faction DLC or maybe CA will actually patch something that will be a big portion of every grand campaign for free. Chaos technically being paid DLC says no. Until then might just look into giving them larger unit rosters or see if anybody else already did it because I don't mind the volume of their attacks so much as the consistency of their stacks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I kind of wish it were possible to upgrade 'base' units to their alternate weapons, like Great Weapons and Halberds. Just make the player pay the difference but have it take 1 turn to go into effect.

The great weapon/halberd guys tend to be rather specialized and being able to convert 1 or 2 existing guys into them would be convenient; it would be faster than mustering a fresh great weapon/ halberd guy and give you more flexibility without having to waste upkeep on units you may not neccesarily need for a while.

It could go like this:

Dwarf Warriors/quarrelers/longbeards> Great Weapon counterparts
Irondrakes>Trollhammer torpedo Irondrakes

Chaos Warriors/chosen> Great weapon/halberd counterparts

I played a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic and one thing I liked about that game was that you could upgrade 'base' units to their upgraded counterparts simply by paying the difference in price if you had the appropriate building, along with events that allowed this to happen for free.

Having commander/agent skills making this more cost effective would also be very handy as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There are 8 stacks of orcs in my field of view right now. This is going to be interesting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's the maximum number of individual guys the game can render without your video processor bursting into flame? It occurred to me that a stack consisting of a commander and 19 zombies is 2,281 guys alone, combine that with 2 more reinforcing armies and I feel like the engine would really struggle with such a massive number of units crawling all over the map at once, not to mention the enemy force!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

You have to snipe the Dwarfs and Barak Varr as quickly as feasible. A good chunk of the Greenskin early game is spent conquering the Orcs to your south and not securing your north as fast as possible is asking for Thorgrim to stomp all over you. Karaz-a-Karak without a defending army can be taken with a full stack and a Waaagh. From there, the Bloody Spears and Border Princes won't bother you and you're free to conquer the south before you come screaming north with 2-3 armies and attendant Waaaghs.

Some people recommend getting Mount Gunbad for the economic building but I'm not so sure. It's miles away from everything else and committing heavily to the north means having to tangle with the VCs early and leaving the south open to the Top Knotz or Red Fangs.

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

• Locked thread