Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When your battleplan is 'we stomp our smashy robots against their smashy robots and see who comes out on top' and you know that's going to be the enemies plan as well you don't even have to throw in as much military rhetoric as usual to get them to do what needs to be done.

Also your battleplans are less about the battle and more about the getting to and from and what you're doing when you're not one-on-one mechstomping an opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And the ranks are a societal manifestation of the immensity of your honoure-peen.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Clan warfare was all about what were basically CounterStrike deathmatches anyway. The orders the commanders would give in those situations are the same orders they'd love to follow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

all exit hexes are full apart from the southernmost one, 2735

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFsYazXpGqU60EoAuAtLGB_1X9RKMVDnLC2jhBa49S0/edit#gid=36503224

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 17, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nullkigan posted:

At this point, people assuming you're a dick despite 1600 pages of evidence to the contrary is more ingrained than the bad clanner jokes.

Clan PTN is twice a dick based on half the evidence even though it's 40% more untrue.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
PTN always challenges without being an rear end in a top hat. He's a very good gm. It never even crossed my mind he'd play this out in an unfun manner.

I'm betting you who are so worried about every minute thing have had poo poo gms or you are min maxy players yourself who can't imagine anyone playing a game for fun.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It'd also be way cool to have someone draw Duncans battle scarred Atlas standing on top of a pile of clan mechs.

He is without a doubt a legend already.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Affi posted:

I'm betting you who are so worried about every minute thing have had poo poo gms

Let me tell you about the guy who taught me to play Descent...

Orders in. Jumping to 3031 and firing south at the lights/Black Python. Next turn will be interesting as PTN has infantry in those woods, so I'll need to plan my landing spot carefully.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So, not that it's going to happen, but theoretically, if a clanner DFAd into the tunnel opening hex, then failing or succeeding, does it create a chain displacement upwards to height 0 ground, or up the canyon walls even; or do the displaced mechs just roll around into each other like pinballs until one is dead?

sebmojo posted:

all exit hexes are full apart from the southernmost one, 2735

2734 doesn't seem to be confirmed either.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 17, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Null pointer exception thrown, mapsheet in question crashes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In my defense, that got people other than Dolash thinking about the extraction zone as something that needed to be paid attention to. That it coincided with the Komodo auto-pathing to the extraction zone to retreat was just a pleasant coincidence.

Hey man, I was warning about the foot infantry coming up from the southern city too! Didn't expect the jump infantry, but I did mention the possibility of infantry approaching the tunnel exit a couple of turns before they were eventually revealed...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always warn of PTN possibly being an rear end in a top hat GM because one of these times he actually will be, as his David Lynchian swerve to the thread, and then I'll be right! Also, I'm pretty sure there will be a cake, and I'll be an astronaut. What were we talking about again?

In all seriousness, it's better to assume your opponent is going to be an rear end in a top hat even if you think they wont. The line between "rear end in a top hat" and "intelligent human being playing to win" is often a matter of perception. If you always assume your opponent will be an rear end in a top hat, rarely will you be disappointed. :pseudo:

I do genuinely have a hard time guessing when PTN is going to pull his punches and when he wont, though. One of the many, many reasons I don't sign up to play.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or, y'all could trust me to not be an rear end in a top hat.

It's not about you being an rear end in a top hat - it's that you are certainly going to make us pay (and rightly!) for making poor tactical choices. We screw up, I'd be disappointed if you didn't punish us for it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yep, and nobody likes to screw up so there's a couple of salty tears. Only a couple. :)

Anyway, I'm submitting my orders later tonight but I'm going to toss them up here in case there are any last minute suggestions. Hopefully Axe-Man/Komodo is on hand to shoot the infantry should they fall off. I'm going to go with the drop and shake method, if I'm going to take 12 damage I'm going to do so on my terms, possibly dying in the process.

Staying in hex 2835:
1) Drop and shake off the infantry
IF this is successful, get up and move to 3034, face the infantry and shoot.
IF NOT
2) Get up, drop and shake off the infantry
IF this is successful, get up and move 2 hexes away from the infantry, turn 1 hex towards them and shoot.
IF NOT
3) Move to 3134 to carry those little bastards away from the evac zone, and die piteously.

Those first two have a, as previously stated, 35/36 chance of success between them so ROLL THEM DICE TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE and also play Taylor Swift

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

For 3) don't forget to mention that you want to stand up. You can also mention what direction you would like to face when you get up - changing facing this way is free.

Edit: And tell PTN what you're shooting.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Given Amaris' stance on replacement mechs, you might as well stay in the hex. If you have to punch out it'll be easier to recover you that way.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Nah, moving away is wise, or else the infantry can move to block the extraction zone.

And for recovery, the Screamer or the Ostscout can reach wherever the Lancelot goes.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's easy when the entire battleplan is "rush the enemy and kill them" every time.

Since no plan ever survives contact with the enemy, the logical course of action is to make sure the enemy doesn't survive contact with the plan! :black101:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

My favorite thing about Clan warfare is that teamwork is literally against the rules.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Picard Day posted:

My favorite thing about Clan warfare is that teamwork is literally against the rules.

Unless you're Elementals. Elementals are basically the least retarded warriors the Clans have. Which is saying something, when they can mostly be vaporized by a single hit from a mech based weapon.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

El Spamo posted:

Yep, and nobody likes to screw up so there's a couple of salty tears. Only a couple. :)

Anyway, I'm submitting my orders later tonight but I'm going to toss them up here in case there are any last minute suggestions. Hopefully Axe-Man/Komodo is on hand to shoot the infantry should they fall off. I'm going to go with the drop and shake method, if I'm going to take 12 damage I'm going to do so on my terms, possibly dying in the process.

Suggestion - somebody with a good move should probably stay in position to leap in and rescue should this result in said death.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PTN is an rear end in a top hat because he's a goon, but so are the rest of us; we're all assholes. So let's stop yapping our gums about how much of a 'not rear end in a top hat' PTN is and continue with this fantastic and frankly nail biting game we have going on now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the swarmed player has thoroughly outsmarted himself.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Unless you're Elementals. Elementals are basically the least retarded warriors the Clans have. Which is saying something, when they can mostly be vaporized by a single hit from a mech based weapon.

Throw that on top of the myriad other reasons to be deeply paranoid of any potential Toads. Hell, even fluff-wise they don't have to worry too much about MechWarriors calling them out into a Circle of Equals - the Elemental will choose to fight unaugmented, and who wants to gently caress with that?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Night10194 posted:

I think the swarmed player has thoroughly outsmarted himself.

Thoroughly.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

LeadSled posted:

Hell, even fluff-wise they don't have to worry too much about MechWarriors calling them out into a Circle of Equals - the Elemental will choose to fight unaugmented, and who wants to gently caress with that?

But think of the glory!

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Given who is firing at what, at least declared on the doc, looks like the Locust may or may not go down. Looks like I should shoot it after all and contingency chain down to the Black Python while the Grendel draws a rather insane (and necessary) amount of damage.

No double tap though. A shame, but I'm not about to move next to the Grendel and Death Blossom all the mechs in an orgy of overheating, justice foot, and probable insanity. As fun as that would be, it would be clinical suicide.

If anyone wants to change my mind, feel free to try.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

No double tap though. A shame, but I'm not about to move next to the Grendel and Death Blossom all the mechs in an orgy of overheating, justice foot, and probable insanity. As fun as that would be, it would be clinical suicide.

If anyone wants to change my mind, feel free to try.

Someone's got to upstage Duncan or he'll never shut up about this mission.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The two middle front hexes are open.
Remaining options that haven't written in on the Gdoc (or have used the GDoc previously) are the Ostscout, Gunsmith and Komodo. No orders or posts in thread yet post update.
Players may have sent in orders by PM, or be sick or dealing with urgent IRL. Changing orders to take the hexes may be a bad idea (especially since the Gunsmith actually needs to withdraw).

Suggested solutions: 1. Movement contingencies from existing players ending movement outside the zone?
2. Request information from PTN before deadline on any existing PM orders. In event orders are lacking: Further request alternates for any missing order.

---
Sorry if this is too much. Just really don't want to see your heroic efforts not reap their full reward.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 18, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

RA Rx posted:

The two middle front hexes are open.
Remaining options that haven't written in on the Gdoc (or have used the GDoc previously) are the Ostscout, Gunsmith and Komodo. No orders or posts in thread yet post update.
Players may have sent in orders by PM, or be sick or dealing with urgent IRL. Changing orders to take the hexes may be a bad idea (especially since the Gunsmith actually needs to withdraw).

Suggested solutions: 1. Movement contingencies from existing players ending movement outside the zone?
2. Request information from PTN before deadline on any existing PM orders. In event orders are lacking: Further request alternates for any missing order.

---
Sorry if this is too much. Just really don't want to see your heroic efforts not reap their full reward.

Players not submitting critical orders and loving over their entire team is a long-standing tradition in this game.

El Spamo posted:

3) Move to 3134 to carry those little bastards away from the evac zone, and die piteously.

If all fails could you not eject and have someone else hose down your mech? Its not longer friendly fire if you're not in it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Z the IVth posted:

If all fails could you not eject and have someone else hose down your mech? Its not longer friendly fire if you're not in it!

We're fighting Clans! If we eject, we'll be picked out of the sky by an rear end in a top hat with a dayglow green face tattoo and our sibling will be forced to fail to rescue us over several weeks of mech-based hijinks to get to MY HOME PLANET!

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

I could do this for the Flashman and put in a contingency to go to the front hex (2735), although it would only have a +1 move mod and would end up shooting at the Grendel instead. I would probably withdraw at that point, since it would make 6/6/2 possible.

Leaving only two for the last turn isn't as big a problem as I thought, now that we know that entering the zone when it is blue means that we can't be blocked from leaving.

I will hold off on changing anything until it gets closer to the deadline in the hopes that we hear from everyone.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

You can get a +2 if you go NE, N, NW, NW, SW.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

You can get a +2 if you go NE, N, NW, NW, SW.
Unfortunately, that requires 9 mp (5 hexes + 3 facing changes + 1 difficult terrain). Haze's last action was to make escaping even harder.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I feel I should point out that ejecing from a battlemech in a hurricane/storm is a +3 to the PSR. That's just from the storm, there are other factors as well, like where you end up landing, is the 'mech prone etc.

An example:

Battlemech Doop de Doo is destroyed, auto-ejection occurs.

Planetary condition: storm = +3
auto-ejection adds another +1, a total of +4

This is before landing hex is decided, if we end up landing in light woods it's another +1, heavier woods give +2 etc.

Once all that's added together, do a PSR against the total, in this case a basic pilot with 5 piloting would need to roll 9 or better.

Failing the PSR incurs damage by the Margin of Failure, so rolling an 8 here gives 1 damage to the pilot. It's a very quick way to make your pilots burger if you eject at the wrong time, or they have really poor piloting skills, or the mech is prone.

Prone 'mechs is a +5 to the ejection roll :allears:

all of this is moot if ptn isn't using the ejection TacOps rules, of course

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
If 2735 hasn't been filled yet, I'm going to put it into movement contingencies to go there and exit this round assuming I break free. I'm also going to move the infantry away from the exit regardless. If any of them survive they could move into the hexes and make life suck. I'm guaranteed hard (self-inflicted too!) hits this round, so if there's an unused exit... phfewsh.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ardlen may send in a contingency for the hex.
The only other hex not claimed or mentioned in potential contingencies and in range of the Grendel is 2734, if you can shake the infantry on your first try it's actually a lot safer there.

Hopefully the Komodo, Gunsmith or Ostscout have orders and one of them go there, or PTN mercifully autopilots one of them in, but contingencies are always nice?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 19, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

Ardlen may send in a contingency for the hex.
I did put in a contingency to take that hex if no one else takes it, including the Lancelot. So we should be covered.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 19, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think you guys are stressing out about this a bit much. After a month long knock down scenario like this PTN is not going to make the one thing it hinges on be the perfect ooc irl coordination of fifteen people off thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coordination has not been their strong suit. Even if PTN doesn't go maximum-tryhard in punishing any mistakes, there's no reason not to at least try to not make the mistake in the first place. After all, the more genuine effort put in, the less likely it becomes that PTN will drop the hammer to punish it.

I applaud them for going through the (admittedly large) amount of effort required to try and coordinate their retreat. Go Goonlance! :gaz:

• Locked thread