Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

High Lord Elbow posted:

The unspoken truth about TFA is that for some people, it needs to be more than just a good movie - it needs to be a universe they can obsess over for the next twenty years of their broken manchild lives.

How long have we been posting about the prequels again? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TFA isn't as good as ESB but ESB is also really overrated. TFA is still good though. RotJ is also severely underrated.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

TFA isn't as good as ESB but ESB is also really overrated. TFA is still good though. RotJ is also severely underrated.

Fans have long ago run out of interesting things to say about the film, but feel obligated, so we're left with people repeating "it's good" over and over 'til the next film comes out.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
TFA is what happens when you get fooled into thinking Star Wars is a seminal cultural touchstone full of grandeur and awe and not the weirdo pet project of some squirrely little anthropology majoring Buck Rogers loving freak from Modesto.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Star Wars is definitely a seminal cultural touchstone, but that doesn't really have much to do with the movies themselves.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's not unfair to say TFA is the least memorable of the Star Wars films. The OT was amazing for it's day (and still is) and the PT is in the running for some of the worst movies ever made so I suppose they're memorable in that regard. I'll never forget counting all the racist caricatures in TPM, or AotC having the most awkward romance scenes ever filmed.

So in that regard, TFA, while good, might not stick out as much. And that's fine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i think of star wars i think of empire strikes back, then rey finn and ren, then how bad and boring old han and leia were, then a bunch of eu stuff

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oddium posted:

when i think of star wars i think of empire strikes back, then rey finn and ren, then how bad and boring old han and leia were, then a bunch of eu stuff

I'm beginning to think Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm beginning to think Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

i like star wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yaws posted:

It's not unfair to say TFA is the least memorable of the Star Wars films. The OT was amazing for it's day (and still is) and the PT is in the running for some of the worst movies ever made so I suppose they're memorable in that regard. I'll never forget counting all the racist caricatures in TPM, or AotC having the most awkward romance scenes ever filmed.

So in that regard, TFA, while good, might not stick out as much. And that's fine.

I was going to disagree with you on AotC but I'm pretty sure that terrible sand line will live on forever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oddium posted:

i like star wars

There's a difference between claiming to do something, even believing you're doing something, and actually doing it.

The form of your expression - the brief youtube comment - is not 'liking'.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

There's a difference between claiming to do something, even believing you're doing something, and actually doing it.

star wars is good

e: i like it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

porfiria posted:

TFA is what happens when you get fooled into thinking Star Wars is a seminal cultural touchstone full of grandeur and awe and not the weirdo pet project of some squirrely little anthropology majoring Buck Rogers loving freak from Modesto.

It is only when you accept that both are true that you can start appreciating Star Wars for what it is instead of what you want it to be.

Edit: The next Star Wars movies need to be weirdo pet projects too.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

If your argument is based on the fact that the commonly understood definition of a word isn't the definition you are using, perhaps you are using the wrong word.

Appreciate. The word you're looking for is appreciate. You're trying to say Star Wars fans do not Appreciate Star Wars. Try saying that from now on instead of having the same circular argument for the seventeenth time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

So what you're saying is, I should leave all my personal objects behind and learn the ways of the force?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fans have long ago run out of interesting things to say about the film, but feel obligated, so we're left with people repeating "it's good" over and over 'til the next film comes out.

At one point in time I was planning a big tryhard post about a major theme of the film being the interchangeability of the heroes' roles. Like people when the movie pointed out talked about how each character mapped to certain characteristics of the ANH cast: Poe starts the movie extremely similarly to Leia but obviously has elements of Han and Luke, Rey starts like Luke but then flies the Falcon like Han and gets captured on Death Star 3 like Leia, Finn starts off at the halfway point in Luke's ANH storyline taking off his storm trooper helmet to free the Leia stand-in (and you get the impression he is basically what Luke would have been if he had become a storm trooper as planned and then got squeamish and quit), etc. But then there's also stuff like: Finn essentially becomes Poe for a time, taking his signature jacket and robot buddy and mission and becoming a "bid deal in the Resistance". And then after Rey is captured, Maz tries to pawn off the lightsaber that she was going to give Rey to Finn; you get the impression she was just waiting for some plucky young adventurer to wander in so she could give the saber to them, then when the first one didn't work out she went to the next one in line.

But anyway I was mostly just responding to the discussion about whether it was "good". It is good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A lot of the lack of discussion has to do with reception to both positive and negative effortposts: negative posts don't see much attention outside of people who already agree, positive posts get replied with "fanfiction." "That's a stretch" "nope" or *mock outrage at the topic introduced*. Since neither are particularly interested in interacting with the other [in an honest fashion], there's not much to say.

As for this serving as a measurement of quality: I would say that it reflects well on TFA's fans that they are comfortable enough in their enjoyment to not require backpatting and/or years of posts that TFA is good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

As for this serving as a measurement of quality: I would say that it reflects well on TFA's fans that they are comfortable enough in their enjoyment to not require backpatting and/or years of posts that TFA is good.

Hrmmm is there something specific you are referring to here Neuro??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Hrmmm is there something specific you are referring to here Neuro??

I think it's pretty obvious. That's not to say that the people I'm referring to are wrong or have poor taste, only that these actions invoke an air of insecurity

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was really weird when this thread was just four TFA fans making GBS threads on whatever I said.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 18, 2016

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was really weird when this thread was just four TFA fans making GBS threads on whatever I said.

If it makes you feel better, I also think you're an imbecile. I just don't think you're worth many keystrokes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Akett posted:

If your argument is based on the fact that the commonly understood definition of a word isn't the definition you are using, perhaps you are using the wrong word.

Appreciate. The word you're looking for is appreciate. You're trying to say Star Wars fans do not Appreciate Star Wars. Try saying that from now on instead of having the same circular argument for the seventeenth time.

You misunderstand: the point is not that 'liking' doesn't occur, but that what is liked is not Star Wars (which is, remember, a series of feature films). The target of the 'like' may be any number of things: participation in a fandom, hype, memes, youtube commentary, etc.

There are something like a half-dozen fan documentaries mythologizing the prerelease hype for Phantom Menace, because this narrative of the collective hype and subsequent 'betrayal' has fully eclipsed that of any actual Star Wars film(s).

As I understand it, there is even a fiction film where the entire narrative revolves around hardcore Star Wars fans who eventually admit at the end that the actual movies suck, but that hype has brought them together - a perfect example of that "I'm spiritual but not religious", "the power was inside you the whole time" sort of deal.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
TFA was a prety good movie but not as good as Creed which should have won best picture

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

You misunderstand: the point is not that 'liking' doesn't occur, but that what is liked is not Star Wars (which is, remember, a series of feature films). The target of the 'like' may be any number of things: participation in a fandom, hype, memes, youtube commentary, etc.

There are something like a half-dozen fan documentaries mythologizing the prerelease hype for Phantom Menace, because this narrative of the collective hype and subsequent 'betrayal' has fully eclipsed that of any actual Star Wars film(s).

As I understand it, there is even a fiction film where the entire narrative revolves around hardcore Star Wars fans who eventually admit at the end that the actual movies suck, but that hype has brought them together - a perfect example of that "I'm spiritual but not religious", "the power was inside you the whole time" sort of deal.

i don't think you like star wars as much as i do

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i like star wars a lot, for reference

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

i like star wars a lot, for reference

Not as much as I do.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
*steps forward from the crowd* No, I am Star Wars Liker!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

*steps forward from the crowd* No, I am Star Wars Liker!

This is not believable at all, mate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PBS Newshour posted:

TFA was a prety good movie but not as good as Creed which should have won best picture

Yes this. Creed was excellent.

jivjov posted:

Not as much as I do.

Probably true. I for one, would've never paid to see Clone Wars in the theater.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

I wonder what a Ryan Coogler Star Wars would look like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Revenant should have won Best Film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
At least Neurolimnal had the conviction to write a whole incoherent crazy-book about Space Millennials.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I would be more worried to hear that you thought it was coherent, honestly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

The Revenant should have won Best Film.

said one person ever.

the person who wants it to be viewed in a temple.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was a great movie op.

Is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it was fun. but that's it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Every award not given to Mad Max was an award de-legitimized imo

especially Best Animated Feature Film

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

In that case a more accurate statement would be "The Star Wars films are not the thing liked by Star Wars fans." The problem with "Star Wars fans do not like Star Wars" is that it inherently leads into a pedantic argument before anything of value can actually be said. The pedantic argument also tends to generate needless hostility because they think you are attacking them directly. You can skip past the pedantry before it even begins.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Akett posted:

In that case a more accurate statement would be "The Star Wars films are not the thing liked by Star Wars fans." The problem with "Star Wars fans do not like Star Wars" is that it inherently leads into a pedantic argument before anything of value can actually be said. The pedantic argument also tends to generate needless hostility because they think you are attacking them directly. You can skip past the pedantry before it even begins.

Pedantry? In MY Cinema Discusso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Pedantry? In MY Cinema Discusso?

It's more likely than you think.

• Locked thread