Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
as far as im aware bleed infusion is always bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Warden Twinblades :colbert:

Farmed another chaos gem on Demon Ruins for them already :getin:

Iretep posted:

Caithas chime is the best for dark miracle casting i think. Since dark scales from both int and faith theres no reason to not to fool with them on a pyro build.

Just started Lothric Castle so I'm getting this, thanks!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think Caitha's Chime and the Sunless Talisman are tied for stats, but the talisman has Ulfaltering Prayer which I consider to be the superior Skill.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Verizian posted:

Which is better at 40 dex, 38/43 luck. Curved Carthus Greatsword + hollow infusion or CCG+Bleed infusion with Anri SS offhand?

Like the guy above me said, never ever infuse with bleed. Because then you can't buff with Carthus Rogue. Which gives a huge increase to bleed.

I'd imagine at 40Dex/40Luck, the CCS would outmatch Anri's. Maybe. Anri's gets most of its scaling off Luck. It's scales off Str and Dex too, but not nearly as much. I imagine they'd be pretty close. That's for the regular Carthus Curve Sword. Not too familiar with the GS.

I think your best bet is to make CCS hollow, along with an offhand hollow weapon. Then you'd only need to level luck to 30 as you'd get 10 free points. Then you can put those extra points into Str for more damage or into something like Vig/End.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I've never tried Anri's, but I can confirm that a hollow Carthus Curved Sword is absolutely amazing. When your Carthus Rouge runs out you've still got top-tier damage, good speed, a great moveset and low stamina usage. With Carthus Rouge you proc bleed in ~4 hits. Amazing!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jordbo posted:

I've never tried Anri's, but I can confirm that a hollow Carthus Curved Sword is absolutely amazing. When your Carthus Rouge runs out you've still got top-tier damage, good speed, a great moveset and low stamina usage. With Carthus Rouge you proc bleed in ~4 hits. Amazing!

Carthus weapons are the best on each cathegory in my opinion. Carthus shotel is better than vanilla, same goes for the curved sword and curved greatsword. They have low stamina usage, bleed and useful movesets. It makes the visit to the catacombs much more desirable!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I've been rolling with the warden twinblades for a while now and even though they've scored me a lot of good wins in PvP I'm starting to look for a replacement on my luck build character. One reason being is that they are too drat short!!! The range on these weapons is pitiful! Second. I keep dying to dudes with great swords that spam their normal attacks at me when I get in close to attack. I was actually thinking of getting the dual katanas for a better running attack and range. Do you think that could make a viable luck build?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Someone please tell me the scythes aren't garbage in pvp, I just found out how much loving scaling they get with lightning and I've grown beyond bored of the astora greatsword.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is the general consensus that the Twin Princes/Soul of Cinder aren't that hard of a boss fight? Because I just absolutely can't deal with them. I only just beat the Twin Princes solo, after like 5 playthroughs. Nameless King on the other hand is moderately challenging and I can beat within like 4-5 attempts. Why. :negative:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kalsco posted:

Is the general consensus that the Twin Princes/Soul of Cinder aren't that hard of a boss fight? Because I just absolutely can't deal with them. I only just beat the Twin Princes solo, after like 5 playthroughs. Nameless King on the other hand is moderately challenging and I can beat within like 4-5 attempts. Why. :negative:

Who knows. I beat Twin Princes/Soul of CInder solo each on the 1st or 2nd tries the first time but I blew like half my embers getting past fat-tree and spooky skeleton king. There is something here to hurt all of us.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

So I've been rolling with the warden twinblades for a while now and even though they've scored me a lot of good wins in PvP I'm starting to look for a replacement on my luck build character. One reason being is that they are too drat short!!! The range on these weapons is pitiful! Second. I keep dying to dudes with great swords that spam their normal attacks at me when I get in close to attack. I was actually thinking of getting the dual katanas for a better running attack and range. Do you think that could make a viable luck build?

With slow weapons, you want to stay out of reach and "run through" their attack (hoping they won't swing twice, of course). Since hit confirmation is done from the attackers point of view, as long as you're out of reach when they start their attack you can, depending on latency, run through their weapon without getting hit.

But yeah, the Warden Twinblades are just too slow for their short reach to be really great in 1v1 duels. Hollow duel katanas are definitely good for a luck build! Alternatively, have you considered the hollow Carthus Curved Sword? :haw:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BBQ Dave posted:

Could this have to do with some nuance of Japanese nonverbal communication? I mean, the shrug was called "Mock" in DS2. What's going on here?

You're going to get shrug from Maldron after he assassinates you in the DLC. :getin:

Or even better only Maldron ever gets to use it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

Well the only weapon that actually scales with luck is Anri's, as far as I know. So the only way you're going to outdamage that weapon at 40 luck is to infuse another weapon as hollow. So you need to be at a high enough level where you have enough Str, Dex, and Luck for hollow to outscale a standard refined infusion at 40dex/str. Plus, I think only a handful of weapons really benefit from Hollow infusion. The CCS we just talked about being one of them. Those katanas are another good candidate as well. So that should work given you have the stats for it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

mortons stork posted:

Someone please tell me the scythes aren't garbage in pvp, I just found out how much loving scaling they get with lightning and I've grown beyond bored of the astora greatsword.

They're not super but they're definitely usable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I felt like the CCGS was pretty garbage. It barely has more damage than the CCS, and found that I got stunned out of the weapon art very frequently. The CCS is way faster, does slightly less damage, is faster, lighter and uses less stamina. Since you're going for bleed, number of hits is sometimes more important than pure damage, and will probably lead to more actual DPS.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Also, every bleed/luck build should have a set of claws ready just for fighting greatshields! When they turtle up, just spam L1 until one of three things happen: 1) they bleed to death 2) they run out of stamina, giving you a couple of counter hits, or 3) they try to roll away, and get hit anyway

it's not like they're gonna parry you (just don't try to do it when they're shield bashing)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of shields, what determines whether or not you bounce off the drat things? Every so often I'll hit them without staggering myself, but other times my character visibly recoils into a mini-stun after I hit them. There doesn't seem to be any consistency I can pick up on.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of shields, what determines whether or not you bounce off the drat things? Every so often I'll hit them without staggering myself, but other times my character visibly recoils into a mini-stun after I hit them. There doesn't seem to be any consistency I can pick up on.

I think it works like in DS1 where all shields have a hidden (?) stat called deflection - higher deflection means stronger attacks will bounce off your shield. Doesn't work in PvP though, for some reason. In PvE, small shields have the least deflection while larger shields have more, and if it works like DS1 the deflection stat doesn't change when you upgrade the shield. So a straight sword R1 probably won't bounce off a small wooden shield, but will bounce off the Lothric Knights with greatshields - while a great hammer charged R2 will crash right through it. The Eastern Iron Shield is supposed to have very high deflection. I also seem to remember some attacks ignore deflection - like some spinning moves, I think.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It does work in PVP IIRC, it's just that most weapons have high deflection piercing or most shields have low deflection, one of the two. About the only time you'll encounter it is attacking a greatshield with a rapier or similar situation.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's random though right? Because I know I've hit the same shield with the same weapon and only sometimes bounce.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Huh, weird. Was that in pvp? I suppose latency would complicate things. I can't imagine it being random, in any case.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Straight Swords are boring because they, generally, look boring, both the actual sword and their moveset. The Ithryll sword gets props for the cool ice effect. Amusingly it's probably the weakest straight sword though. The heavy price it paid.

The dual katanas are about as versatile as a straight sword, but I feel way more cool executing a combo with them than I do a straight sword cause they ooze style.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Those katanas are arguably the best bleed weapons in the game ever since the ninja leap gained hyper armor. Their combination of versatile moveset, power, bleed build-up, hyper armor, and anti-parry option (since ninja leap also cannot be parried) are something that no other weapon can claim to have all of.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mortons stork posted:

there's always the option of going back to dark souls 1 and picking up a great scythe

Octo1
May 7, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It's random though right? Because I know I've hit the same shield with the same weapon and only sometimes bounce.

Maybe poise affects it!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Well the only weapon that actually scales with luck is Anri's, as far as I know. So the only way you're going to outdamage that weapon at 40 luck is to infuse another weapon as hollow. So you need to be at a high enough level where you have enough Str, Dex, and Luck for hollow to outscale a standard refined infusion at 40dex/str. Plus, I think only a handful of weapons really benefit from Hollow infusion. The CCS we just talked about being one of them. Those katanas are another good candidate as well. So that should work given you have the stats for it.

There is also the staff that scales with luck but my guy isn't a caster.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How are the reapers for PvE after that buff anyway

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

How are the reapers for PvE after that buff anyway

A bit better. I had a dusted sharp great scythe on my DEX char and now it does more piercing damage and the game is more generous when considering that you're hitting with the sweet spot. I don't know if they changed it or not but using 2h gives you a bit of hyper-armor now, or at least I could tank a hit from the dancer while trying to bleed the boss. Oh, Neck swipe from the great scythe is registered as a headshot when it comes to staggering and I've hit a spear and greatshield lothric knight behind the shield and got the stagger animation so you can definately open up defenses, not sure if it always was like that or just a recent adition.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jordbo posted:

The Bloodborne Roar gesture is totally in the game, one of the hacked messages in Firelink used to have that! I hope that means we will get it in the DLC (along with the flip ring, which also is in the game files since I fought someone using that a few days ago)

Nah, not likely.

There's two unused gestures:

"Unmannered Bow", which completely works and there is no good reason it's not in, just like the DS2 arm windup. That's what you saw, and just like the DS2 gesture I doubt it'll ever be added in.

"Lord of Cinder", which has a stock dummy animation.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What advantage does the Carthus Curved Greatsword have over the Murakumo or Exile? On paper it just looks weaker with a bleed effect that's not so good because you won't connect as often as a curved sword or katana.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Straight Swords are boring because they, generally, look boring, both the actual sword and their moveset. The Ithryll sword gets props for the cool ice effect. Amusingly it's probably the weakest straight sword though. The heavy price it paid.

The dual katanas are about as versatile as a straight sword, but I feel way more cool executing a combo with them than I do a straight sword cause they ooze style.

Those katanas are arguably the best bleed weapons in the game ever since the ninja leap gained hyper armor. Their combination of versatile moveset, power, bleed build-up, hyper armor, and anti-parry option (since ninja leap also cannot be parried) are something that no other weapon can claim to have all of.

I think the katanas probably look worse than the straight swords on the basis that they look kind of silly due to their length. Really spindly and the like. I also feel like combos with weapons would have been better if it was easier to chain light/heavy moves together. I feel like BB, with it's mode switches, allowed a little bit of that.

As an aside, it seems like I've been running into a lot more people just using twinblades and spinning all over after the patch. Ran into a host with two phantoms all spinning at me in the prison. It was pretty weird and I am almost positive the patch didn't change anything about those weapons. Probably just some bad luck.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

I think the katanas probably look worse than the straight swords on the basis that they look kind of silly due to their length. Really spindly and the like. I also feel like combos with weapons would have been better if it was easier to chain light/heavy moves together. I feel like BB, with it's mode switches, allowed a little bit of that.

As an aside, it seems like I've been running into a lot more people just using twinblades and spinning all over after the patch. Ran into a host with two phantoms all spinning at me in the prison. It was pretty weird and I am almost positive the patch didn't change anything about those weapons. Probably just some bad luck.

The spin can't be parried and does solid damage. On a miracle buffbuild you can get 800+ damage in one combo.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Omg I take it all back. Warden twinblades+carthus rouge+40 luck+35 Dex= bleed in one L1 move. It's incredible. I've also managed to slip by enemies in the archives in seeded worlds by casting hidden body and spook lol.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Domattee posted:

The spin can't be parried and does solid damage. On a miracle buffbuild you can get 800+ damage in one combo.

I could've sworn I've parried spins before. But they can certainly do A LOT of damage.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvzhg_Pbyo......just wow.....

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 18, 2016

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's always the option of going back to dark souls 1 and picking up a great scythe

Been there, done that. I was just looking at some decent options for a faith build, since everybody and their mother knows how to play against a greatsword but they get very much stumped by polearms, especially the lucerne. The scythes move a lot like it but scale immensely better with lightning. And I guess no spin weapon art, but that's it. Maybe the glaive?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
gently caress aldrich, what a bs boss. Fucker just spams poo poo tons of spells and arrows and barely stands still long enough to hit him.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You're going for his slug body not the puppet humanoid at the tip right? Because the Gwyndolin corpse is just a distraction - slug aldrich barely moves (and isn't even covered by his teleport burst attack).

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DatonKallandor posted:

You're going for his slug body not the puppet humanoid at the tip right? Because the Gwyndolin corpse is just a distraction - slug aldrich barely moves (and isn't even covered by his teleport burst attack).

Yeah, the bigger problem is the arrow spam and if I bother to avoid the billion projectiles I still don't have much time to hit him. I only go for the tail thing.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, the bigger problem is the arrow spam and if I bother to avoid the billion projectiles I still don't have much time to hit him. I only go for the tail thing.

Don't try to attack through his arrows, just run away and wait for it to stop. Ignore the tiny blue balls, they don't stagger you and they don't hurt much - don't dodge, just attack. Other than that, stay close to him and try to get behind Gwyndolin to avoid some of his melee attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

What advantage does the Carthus Curved Greatsword have over the Murakumo or Exile? On paper it just looks weaker with a bleed effect that's not so good because you won't connect as often as a curved sword or katana.

The murakumo has the highest stamina usage of all three even if it's lighter than the Exile. Carthus Curved has the longest reach of all three, has bleed, weights less and has less stamina usage than the other two. Murakumo is basically the worst with being the Exile stronger but way heavier and same on stamina and has no bleed. To me is a no brainer that the Carthus is the best and applying carthus rouge makes it a solid choice in comparison with katanas, you get hyper armor and does and can stagger in PvE pretty easy high armored targets.

Or, just use the Carthus curved sword wich is drat fast, light and has good moveset.