Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tyson is a fool with no redeeming traits, talents or allies among her half-siblings. I suspect that she will be the sole survivor through no effort on her part.

I maintain that the baby is totally gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
benjamin is going to win

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've been thinking Tyson was a guy all this time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Roland Jones posted:

Harkenberg, 9th prince. Extremely intelligent, but doesn't get along well with others, with Tserriednich being the only person among the royal family he considers a friend. Openly critical of the royal family's actions and policies; his reformist attitude has earned him both supporters and enemies. Probably the most powerful of the non-superior princes, a lot of the others have hitched their hopes to him; if the nature of the death match got out after he became king, it would ruin his reputation, so the weaker ones have witnesses ready to blackmail him and are thus hoping for him to ensure their survival through the expedition.

I'm thinking it'll be this guy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being besties with the most evil prince is a huge red flag.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I've been thinking Tyson was a guy all this time.

On this topic, the wiki actually made that same mistake; her own page lists her as female, but on other pages Tyson's referred to as male. Like, she's listed as "brother" or "half-brother" or "son" in everyone's relationship pages, and her mother's page refers to giving the king a son and not a daughter.

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm thinking it'll be this guy.

I'm leaning towards Harkenberg as well, if only because if it's not him it's going to be someone weird due to circumstance after Harkenberg dies and derails the plans of the lesser princes. Benjamin and Tserriednich are way too evil for me to think it'll be them (particularly Tserriednich, who is a sadist and whose victory would make for a really depressing ending of the arc regardless of other circumstances), Chourai feels like a dead man to me, and Camilla is just... There at the moment. After the major princes we have Harkenberg, a bunch of children and/or corpses-to-be, and I guess Tsubeppa, who I feel might make it but is probably going to fall if this becomes a complete bloodbath. She's definitely not going to be the sole survivor if all but one dies.

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think he knows that Tserriednich is super-evil. Tserriednich seems like a sociopath and was capable of putting up a charming front with those girls and stuff, right up until he brutally murdered them. I'm betting he's unaware of the depths of Tserriednich's depravity; given his history he's probably a super-lonely guy beneath the rigid, callous exterior, and his evil, master manipulator half-brother is taking advantage of that.

Though, Triff raises the good point that, if he isn't in on the evil, he's probably super-dead if he doesn't get warned in time. Hm.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 17, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah he's either super dead or is going to betray the hell out of Tserriednich and give Kurapika some kind of info on him.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Roland Jones posted:

Chourai (or Zhang Lei, according to the wiki), 3rd prince. He's short and and weird-looking. Another "superior prince". No direct siblings.

I'm going with the long shot, c'mon Mid-life crisis Krillin, daddy needs a new pair of shoes

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Baby's mom is going to die and his nen beast is going to go on a rampage.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I think that Tyson is the prince most likely to become the dark horse Just in terms of personality and interests, she seems closer than any other prince to their father, who won the last royal succession. I suspect she's going to get a particularly powerful Nen beast, since like most things Nen they develop based on their owner's personality. On the other hand, I don't think Benjamin is going to last very long. All of his power base seems to revolve around military might and mundane force, but the battle for succession is going to revolve around Nen, and I don't think he's going to adapt well; he's probably going to rely on brute force against the Hunters and Nen beasts, and that's going to fail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering the GR were a super interesting ensemble working for the same goal I'm super excited to see one where they are all working for their own goals. Fully expect to be surprised by all the princes and would be more surprised if any of them were what we expected. Except Tserndich or however it's spelled.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

4th Prince Tserriednich, Mother Unma (Shared with Benjamin.)

I approve the hair's change.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jo Joestar posted:

On the other hand, I don't think Benjamin is going to last very long. All of his power base seems to revolve around military might and mundane force, but the battle for succession is going to revolve around Nen, and I don't think he's going to adapt well; he's probably going to rely on brute force against the Hunters and Nen beasts, and that's going to fail.

Maybe not. We saw Benjamin's forces this chapter planning. It appears he plans to be purely defensive until they actually arrive at the Dark Contenint in two months.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm going with Momoze on pure instinct. The test of a true Hunter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

Considering the GR were a super interesting ensemble working for the same goal I'm super excited to see one where they are all working for their own goals. Fully expect to be surprised by all the princes and would be more surprised if any of them were what we expected. Except Tserndich or however it's spelled.

Well, Woble probably won't have any surprises beyond what her nen beast turns out to be, given her being a baby. Oito might have been lying about their desperation but I doubt it. The other kids seem like they're likely to be either bit players or cannon fodder, depending on how this turns out, too, though I guess they could have some crazy twists up ahead.

As for the others, I see your point, though. Though I do think that Lazarus/L'Souris is going to prove to be an idiot who likely dies early; Tserriednich is proven to be rather intelligent and sees him as a moron, and I doubt he's wrong, so unless he just means from his perspective (which, given his genius and egomania, admittedly probably includes nearly everyone else in the world; on an earlier topic I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does like Harkenberg just because he's on the same intellectual level) he's probably right and his half-brother is a moron. I mean, he did manage to get his would-be assassins screened by the association and/or Kurapika.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe not. We saw Benjamin's forces this chapter planning. It appears he plans to be purely defensive until they actually arrive at the Dark Contenint in two months.

In that case, he's probably mostly reliant on his nen beast really; one good nen user can easily massacre his mundane forces.

That said, given everything we've seen about him I wouldn't be surprised if his nen beast is utterly monstrous and proves to be hard to deal with, so that might be enough as long as he himself doesn't do anything stupid. Like, say, try to murder his brother personally, get his nen beast killed by Tserriednich's (which I bet would be even stronger), and then get horribly murdered. Or something like that.

It's really hard to make predictions here; there's so much going on, and HxH is really good at throwing curve balls and whatnot. I still feel like Woble will probably live (Oito may or may not; I'd rate her chances fair but far from guaranteed), Chourai and Lazarus are dead, and Tserriednich and Benjamin won't win but may or may not die horribly depending on how things work out (the victory condition is last-one-standing but the lesser princes are already planning on bucking that with their Harkenberg plan, so we'll see).

Beyond that, I have some things I'm leaning towards but it's hard to speak with confidence about most of it. For the eventual "winner" I've narrowed it down to Tsubeppa, Harkenberg, or anyone at 10 or below (the sisters and the children, though really the two sisters look like children to me too). Maybe Camilla. Everyone else I'm betting on dying or being defeated in some other manner, assuming that's possible and something (possibly the nen beasts) doesn't force the issue when it comes to deaths. If it does... I'm betting on Woble. Kurapika is not letting her die.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

(the sisters and the children, though really the two sisters look like children to me too).

The Sisters look like Young Teens. Maybe 14 to 16. Gon is 14 and I can see them being the same age.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Sisters look like Young Teens. Maybe 14 to 16. Gon is 14 and I can see them being the same age.

Right, I really meant more "not adults" there, but, yeah. They look fairly young compared to the rest; the one right above them is Harkenberg, who seems like he's in his twenties at the least. Maybe late teens; he admittedly didn't look too young in that shot of him graduating early or whatever in Kurapika's explanation that one chapter, so maybe he just looks like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Right, I really meant more "not adults" there, but, yeah. They look fairly young compared to the rest; the one right above them is Harkenberg, who seems like he's in his twenties at the least. Maybe late teens; he admittedly didn't look too young in that shot of him graduating early or whatever in Kurapika's explanation that one chapter, so maybe he just looks like that.

I would probbably put him at 19 to 21. Since he has visibly aged form what he looked like in Kurapika's explanation.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I'm confused, wasn't there a message 3 chapters ago saying "This story goes back on hiatus after the next chapter"?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

FAT BATMAN posted:

I'm confused, wasn't there a message 3 chapters ago saying "This story goes back on hiatus after the next chapter"?

Yeah, I decided to just ignore that when I saw a new chapter after that anyway. Seems to be working out for me so far.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Latest 3 togashi notes

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Well, they're not about how much pain he's in, at least, so it sounds like he's getting better??

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
my bets are on the winner being someone depressing but then it subsequently not mattering when they accidentally disturb the nap of some body with an orb head who nens everyone into a comatose hallucinating walking corpse thereafter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tunicate posted:

Latest 3 togashi notes

is it that his back is hosed up?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Latest 3 togashi notes

He must be in a real state because that's not a large weight at all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Someone post the hotel story

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Manga stream translated his newest comment.

Pretty much he used to draw lying down. Now he stiffens if he does.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

If he uses a tablet, maybe he should try lying on his back and getting a desk to accomodate that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

that explains a lot, actually. using an awkward posture is fine when you are young, but do it for enough years and it will ruin your back.

also 84 kg is pretty heavy for a tiny old asian dude.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah laying on your stomach to draw is probably fine when you're a teen drawing for fun, but if he kept that up as a professional mangaka, with the amount of work they have to do, it would really gently caress up your back.

Hopefully his wife can teach him proper drawing posture :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the comment

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Everyone is going to die on this boat, including Togashi.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Theory: Hisoka doesn't even attempt to sneak onto the boat.

He just jumps onto the side and murder fucks a hole in the hull.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God, I'm half hopeful that Togashi can keep up this breakneck pace now that he seems to be getting his back pain under control.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

Only like 2.5 princes have received any characterization yet, and it's very likely that the rest will die before they become relevant. It's definitely Togashi's style to have a couple of surprise characters who receive unexpected importance in the arc, but 2/3 of these people are going down before you'll get a chance to remember their name, so I wouldn't bother trying yet.

Most of them have at least some kind of hobby or vice to distinguish them. I'm interested in seeing if their Nen beasts reflect those.

Roland Jones posted:

On this topic, the wiki actually made that same mistake; her own page lists her as female, but on other pages Tyson's referred to as male. Like, she's listed as "brother" or "half-brother" or "son" in everyone's relationship pages, and her mother's page refers to giving the king a son and not a daughter.

Was Tyson's gender ever explicitly stated either way? Though Tyson is a pretty over-the-top gay stereotype if male.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just realised we never got a return of the mystery commentator during Chrollo/Hisoka

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

Was Tyson's gender ever explicitly stated either way? Though Tyson is a pretty over-the-top gay stereotype if male.

I'm not sure, actually. Looking back, MS has Tserriednich referring to Tyson as male in 348, but I don't now if that's a translation assumption or the original text, since at that point we hadn't actually seen Tyson. Either way, it's funny that the page with Tyson's picture labelled them as female, while every page that just had a name assumed otherwise.

Tyson is very short, though; in the latest chapter, Tyson is like half of Camilla's and Saresare's heights, despite standing between the two of them; whereas perspective is what makes Benjamin and Beyond look huge there (like some people were wondering about), there's no way Tyson isn't just really, really small. (This has no relevance to the gender thing, I just found it interesting.)

Tangent, rereading stuff to see if Tyson had any more information available, I forgot that Tserriednich is apparently planning an outright purge or something should he become king. I'm more and more certain that he's hosed and not winning this.

Edit: Anyone who wants to review the non-Tserriednich princes, they're only in four chapters; they first appear in 348, and 351-357 is Hisoka vs Chrollo, so you only need to check 348-350 and 358 to get everything we know about the ones who aren't flesh-collecting serial killers.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 18, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Viz translation uses 'his' for Tyson in 348 as well.

I imagine it's hard to translate too effectively when all of them are explicitly going to be referred to as 'prince' regardless of gender.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah Viz explicitly says his when Tsenderich refers to Tyson being too protective of his guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Someone refresh my memory, is Leorio gonna be part of this arc? Can't remember if he is or not.