Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I gave up after Blood of Elves because the translation was awful and the story wasn't keeping my attention, but weirdly I thought The Last Wish was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I don't know if it was fixed in some path or in B&W, but this expansion has now given me both the superior oils I was missing even after looting literally everything.

Cursed and Dragonid if you care.

Finally was the Countess quest in vanilla or HOS? Because I certainly had to give her the bad news.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

I just finished the Baron quest, got (I guess) the most baddest ending and I'm seriously considering redoing the last couple hours. I won't, but still. GOTY

Since this post I have finished the main game and HoS. That was probably the best RPG I've ever played. Gonna shelve B&W, save it for a quiet holiday or something.

Anymore Witcher in the pipeline or was this the finale? Because I will blind pre-order whatever.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I REALLY regret selling those paintings I collected over the course of the vanilla quest now. :(

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Refried Noodle posted:

Since this post I have finished the main game and HoS. That was probably the best RPG I've ever played. Gonna shelve B&W, save it for a quiet holiday or something.

Anymore Witcher in the pipeline or was this the finale? Because I will blind pre-order whatever.

That's it for now. Maybe we'll get something after they get done with Cyberpunk 2077.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A Ciri game would be cool.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

The one early on in B&W? I beat the gently caress out of him personally. Yrden and bombs.

I resented that questlines narrative, no matter what happens it says Geralt was saved. Bullshit because I wrecked that clown. I ruined his week. Let the record show that he was in fact the one that was, saved.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

JetsGuy posted:

I REALLY regret selling those paintings I collected over the course of the vanilla quest now. :(

The new patch adds a painting merchant, so at least you don't have to endure bare walls.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Do any of the characters ever comment on the fact that there are Gwent cards based on them, especially the ones you can play with like Dijkstra?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Supreme Allah posted:

I resented that questlines narrative, no matter what happens it says Geralt was saved. Bullshit because I wrecked that clown. I ruined his week. Let the record show that he was in fact the one that was, saved.

Yeah no kidding. The only thing keeping him from going down like the last higher vampire I fought* was his giant bucket of HP.

*used all my stamina on fire stream, then while he was burning I cut off his head with one swing :smug: (I may have been over-leveled for that fight)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah no kidding. The only thing keeping him from going down like the last higher vampire I fought* was his giant bucket of HP.

*used all my stamina on fire stream, then while he was burning I cut off his head with one swing :smug: (I may have been over-leveled for that fight)

Do you mean the serial killer who attacked Dandelion's girlfriend? He also got housed.

And for those that did it before Igni got nerfed it must have been a casual slaughter.

Auryn54
Mar 15, 2004

Alright, I just refinished the game from my Battle of Kaer Morhen save to get the ending I wanted; I haven't played either of the dlcs yet. I am at level 34 and Hearts of Stone is recommended at l32 and Blood and Wine is l34. Will I trivialize Blood and Wine with the levels I gain from Hearts of Stone, or does it scale to your level?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Supreme Allah posted:

Do you mean the serial killer who attacked Dandelion's girlfriend? He also got housed.

And for those that did it before Igni got nerfed it must have been a casual slaughter.

Yep, that's the one. And it was before igni got nerfed :v:

Auryn54 posted:

Alright, I just refinished the game from my Battle of Kaer Morhen save to get the ending I wanted; I haven't played either of the dlcs yet. I am at level 34 and Hearts of Stone is recommended at l32 and Blood and Wine is l34. Will I trivialize Blood and Wine with the levels I gain from Hearts of Stone, or does it scale to your level?

I'm pretty sure there's an option in the menus somewhere to make enemies scale up (but never down) to your level. So do HoS first (it's much shorter) and turn that on if you're breezing through everything. :)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

qbert posted:

The new patch adds a painting merchant, so at least you don't have to endure bare walls.

Painting merchant? Where? The only one I found was an artist that wanted to paint Geralt.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lareine posted:

Painting merchant? Where? The only one I found was an artist that wanted to paint Geralt.

More accurately it adds paintings to the inventory of a merchant already in the game. The high-class-goods vendor near Lafargue, the grandmaster armourer.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RatHat posted:

A Ciri game would be cool.

I dunno how they would continue the story, when the canon ending is most likely the one where she becomes the empress.

I guess it could be a prequel.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

witcher Ciri canon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

witcher Ciri canon
agreed

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

yeah I feel like that's the best ending for Ciri herself, while becoming Empress is better for the game setting overall

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Dead Dad/Cold Ciri Canon :colbert:

There really is a bunch of ways to make it work.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's a lot of flash-forward stuff in the last chronological book, although all I remember is that the guy with the goofy accent is the next emperor of Nilfgaard (it's suggested in the game that he might be arranged to be Ciri's consort), and that Philippa Eilhart is eventually tortured to death by witch hunters, and is remembered as a martyr.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SirSamVimes posted:

witcher Ciri canon

:hfive:

It's the way things should be and are :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dead Dad/Cold Ciri Canon :colbert:

There really is a bunch of ways to make it work.

Agreed best ending.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Just did the Eye for an Eye quest, and in the immediate aftermath it seems that village life has returned to normal pretty fast, complete with children playing and frolicking around Nilfgaard corpses. Strong kids too: one of them is splashing around in a - presumably blood and poo poo filled - puddle one of the corpses is lying in, and swatting the body around like its made of paper.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Supreme Allah posted:

I hate this too. This particular instance isn't that bad, because Detlaff doesn't actually harm Geralt at all during the cutscene, you might even be able to argue that Geralt would have been able to react in time or something idk. Far worse was fighting Dethmold in W2, beating him, only for a cutscene to happen where he knocks Geralt unconscious by waving his hands and summoning some fire.

Also, cleared B&W: I got the bad ending. I figured I would. The game practically loving begs you to have Syanna and Detlaff talk things out. But I *really* *really* wanted to see what the Unseen was all about and I wasn't disappointed at all. Those quests were loving cool. I at least figured that since I did the investigating that I would save the Duchess, but apparently having proof in the form of a letter that spells out a horrific death for the Duchess wasn't enough to convince her Syanna was trying to kill her.

Anyway I have a save point at the exact spot you make the decision to take one path or the other so I think I'll try the other tomorrow.

Finally, this game loving owns. The expansions both own. It's just really really good and I'm sort of upset that no matter what I say I can't get some of my friends to play it. Ugh. Well done CDPR.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ice Fist posted:

I hate this too. This particular instance isn't that bad, because Detlaff doesn't actually harm Geralt at all during the cutscene, you might even be able to argue that Geralt would have been able to react in time or something idk. Far worse was fighting Dethmold in W2, beating him, only for a cutscene to happen where he knocks Geralt unconscious by waving his hands and summoning some fire.

Also, cleared B&W: I got the bad ending. I figured I would. The game practically loving begs you to have Syanna and Detlaff talk things out. But I *really* *really* wanted to see what the Unseen was all about and I wasn't disappointed at all. Those quests were loving cool. I at least figured that since I did the investigating that I would save the Duchess, but apparently having proof in the form of a letter that spells out a horrific death for the Duchess wasn't enough to convince her Syanna was trying to kill her.

Anyway I have a save point at the exact spot you make the decision to take one path or the other so I think I'll try the other tomorrow.

Finally, this game loving owns. The expansions both own. It's just really really good and I'm sort of upset that no matter what I say I can't get some of my friends to play it. Ugh. Well done CDPR.

Oh man, are you ever in for a treat! If you thought the unseen elder questline was cool, just wait until you see where Syanna is being held!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I still haven't done the Unseen Elder choice, but I can't imagine how it could possibly beat the Land of 1000 Fables.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've heard that there are some talents that you shouldn't take because they don't function properly, have these all been patched or is there any thing I should steer clear of spending points on?

I'm pretty sure that Hunter's Instinct, the crit damage talent at the end of the oil line in alchemy, doesn't work. I have five points in it and never notice that my crit damage increases once my adrenaline is full. Apparently it hasn't ever worked since the game was released.

Fleet footed seems to do nothing. You get so many iFrames on dodges anyway that you'll almost never take damage mid dodge.

I've seen people report recently that flood of anger doesn't work, but that might be because rage management still causes it to break.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I've found on deathmarch that enemies are still a challenge, but not unbeatable. Except for one pair of Slyzards in Toussaint that keep kicking my rear end. It's a Slyzard matriarch and wounded slyzard, and the pair is just killing me even with superior draconid oil. Beastiary says Aard works best against slyzards, but I am having a bitch of a time killing them. Any tips?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Ugh, 30+ hours into this and I've just realized you can loot monster nests you've destroyed. :doh:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I still haven't done the Unseen Elder choice, but I can't imagine how it could possibly beat the Land of 1000 Fables.

It's a great quest. Prepare to have your power fantasy shat upon big time.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

l33t b4c0n posted:

I've found on deathmarch that enemies are still a challenge, but not unbeatable. Except for one pair of Slyzards in Toussaint that keep kicking my rear end. It's a Slyzard matriarch and wounded slyzard, and the pair is just killing me even with superior draconid oil. Beastiary says Aard works best against slyzards, but I am having a bitch of a time killing them. Any tips?

Aard is mostly good for knocking them out of the air, I wouldn't bother with it on the ground (unless you have the aard freeze mutation, in which case aard always owns). Keep quen up as much as you can and maybe try yrden? I play on a lower difficulty so I didn't need more than quen, oil, and lots of rolling but anything that can slow them down is going to be incredibly useful. I don't know if or how well yrden and northern wind work, but I'd suggest trying them out.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is it still recommended to only do some of the sidequests to avoid being overlevelled, or does the enemy upscaling option make it alright to do them all? I'm not far in but the quests I've done are very good and I'd hate to miss any amazing ones because I'm at a higher level than is suggested.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is it still recommended to only do some of the sidequests to avoid being overlevelled, or does the enemy upscaling option make it alright to do them all? I'm not far in but the quests I've done are very good and I'd hate to miss any amazing ones because I'm at a higher level than is suggested.

This has been a massive problem for me. I'm trying to work my way through the Novigrad quests but they seem to mostly be about level 10-14, and I've been level 18+ for all of them, which has destroyed any sense of challenge (still enjoying the story for the most part, though). Very easy to get sidetracked in this game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

l33t b4c0n posted:

There aren't too many problems boosted Northern Wind/Dancing Star/Samuum can't solve. I tend to set dudes on fire with a cluster Dancing Star and let them burn to death while picking my hits. If you're immune to bomb effects on top due to that perk, you can just dance in and out of the fire and fight with impunity.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bryter posted:

It's a great quest. Prepare to have your power fantasy shat upon big time.

spoilers for that questline: It's hilarious when you finally emerge from the cave where physics doesn't matter and you finally get to talk to him if you ask him more than one question, he straight up murders you. It *is* good to know that even in-game Geralt has enemies he can't possibly have a chance against

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

spoilers for that questline: It's hilarious when you finally emerge from the cave where physics doesn't matter and you finally get to talk to him if you ask him more than one question, he straight up murders you. It *is* good to know that even in-game Geralt has enemies he can't possibly have a chance against

I did the other part, but I watched the video of this one. It's great that unlike in your standard game dialogue event, he _will_ murder you if you don't stop wasting his time and ask more questions after he says "okay, one question". You know, in every other game his threats wouldn't mean anything and he'd just repeat the same thing until you exhaust the dialogue options.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Drunk in Space posted:

This has been a massive problem for me. I'm trying to work my way through the Novigrad quests but they seem to mostly be about level 10-14, and I've been level 18+ for all of them, which has destroyed any sense of challenge (still enjoying the story for the most part, though). Very easy to get sidetracked in this game.

You're going to overlevel side quests no matter what. Just turn level scaling on so they remain a challenge and do them anyway, you weren't going to get much XP or "tangible" rewards for doing them at-level so what does it matter?

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Is there a mod that tells you where your remaining Gwent cards are? I don't want to scour all of Velen to find the one dude who has the card I didn't play for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

SoupyTwist posted:

Is there a mod that tells you where your remaining Gwent cards are? I don't want to scour all of Velen to find the one dude who has the card I didn't play for.

There's one that adds a card merchant who sells any cards you don't currently have, especially handy as there's some you can't get if you missed the specific NPC you need to play for them.