Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Put a front suspension designed after 1950 and a functioning front brake and I'd ride the poo poo out of it.

Also fenders.

Harleys look cool without 200lb's of bullshit bolted on, who'd have thunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Stop trying to be nsap, nobody's impressed.
Can't speak for anybody else, but I laughed, so it's not quite nobody.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Needs a good seat as well, maybe something like this.

God, that PO was a loving moron. Nice bike, though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

TBH it seems like all it needs is a decent fork, brake, fender and the pegs in a more reasonable place and it'd be a pretty cool bike to dick around on.

Stop trying to be nsap, nobody's impressed.

if he wants echo chamber SWEET BIKE BRO comments he should post on reddit

this is CA and that bike looks like poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

if he wants echo chamber SWEET BIKE BRO comments he should post on reddit

this is CA and that bike looks like poo poo

The only poo poo looking thing about it is the fork for terrifying technical reasons, I'd be pretty stoked to have a bike like that. Sweet paintjob, total lack of superfluous crap bolted to it. The seat's questionable I guess? I'm of the opinion that harleys look better the more stuff you take off them but maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Honestly the first thing that caught my eye was the battery. Like, put a bag over that thing, jesus!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress that the exposed battery makes it, I'd draw something on the battery itself to match the tank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The only poo poo looking thing about it is the fork for terrifying technical reasons, I'd be pretty stoked to have a bike like that. Sweet paintjob, total lack of superfluous crap bolted to it. The seat's questionable I guess? I'm of the opinion that harleys look better the more stuff you take off them but maybe I'm just a weirdo.

The seat's not bad but I'd do something about the interface between it and the tank, that's one loose pair of trousers and some sharp braking away from being an automated castration machine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The seat's not bad but I'd do something about the interface between it and the tank, that's one loose pair of trousers and some sharp braking away from being an automated castration machine.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

I had a pretty kool Polaris snomobile that I traded for this 2015 R6. Never thought I'd end up on a sportbike, but it turned out to be good times. Removing the fairing to change the oil was a pain though cause the manual is not very accurate.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Evil the Cat posted:

I had a pretty kool Polaris snomobile that I traded for this 2015 R6. Never thought I'd end up on a sportbike, but it turned out to be good times. Removing the fairing to change the oil was a pain though cause the manual is not very accurate.

my mach z 800 broke a chain and chaincase and I said gently caress this poo poo and traded it for an ex250 and became a better person instantly

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Construction zones

Haines junction, in the Yukon. The Yukon is pretty rad, Whitehorse is a cool little city

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 11, 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
New Grom. Copies my DRZ a bit too much in function, but such a blast.

Did an MNNTHBX fender eliminator/integrated LED taillight and blue rim tape. Will probably change out the goofy mirrors and do some more trim coloring as well.

edit: linkfix.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 11, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Construction zones

Haines junction, in the Yukon. The Yukon is pretty rad, Whitehorse is a cool little city

First pic looks like a ton of fun, second pic just looks gorgeous.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Construction zones

More pics and story please.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Story: pics follow in an edit. Phone posting.

We're halfway through a 2 week trip to anchorage and back to Seattle.

Day 1: Chilliwack to Prince George. Breakfast in hope bc. Some traffic, not much scenery. 430 miles. My speedometer stopped working outside of PG but I didn't stop because the bike was running and what if it didn't start back up?

But we got to the hotel and it started right back up and the speedo worked again.

Ate at the BX neighborhood pub. Had some awesome brown ale.

Day 2: PG to Buckinghorse. There was a really cool valley north out of Chetwynd. We stopped at a overlook where a bunch of Harley dudes were hanging out. Apparently they make a thing out of riding from Fort St John I think? To Chetwynd for lunch. Chatted for a bit and got on the Alaska highway up to Buckinghorse. Camped at the provincial park and ate astronaut food.

Speedometer stopped a couple times and I pulled over a couple times to cycle the engine to resurrect the dial.

Day 3: BH to Liard River. The road into Fort Nelson was about the same as the AK hwy on the previous day.

Purple door cafe makes a good breakfast.

After FN, the road got narrower and we got into some mountainous terrain. This is where things started getting interesting. Road quality deteriorated. Then there were patches of loose gravel where they recently re chipped it, took a slower pace. Then we came around a corner into driving rain and gusty winds.

Stopped for a break at the top of some pass which was a good thing because a couple miles later we encountered the first major construction zone. We are calling this one "the gravel sea". They were re grading the whole highway and they had a pilot car lead us through about 3 feet deep smooth round marble sized gravel.

We entertained everybody around us. A 450 lb bike is not the right thing for that. We were going every direction trying not to hit each other or ride off down the embankment. I was planning my get-off when it finally ended.

Liard River was coolish. Hot springs were awesome. But the tribal run lodge we made reservations at did not honor the reservations, jacked up the price, and didn't have the restaurant open as was advertised.They made it feel like we were intruding on their home but there was no room at the campground and it was raining so I was just glad to get a bed.

We set up our kitchens outside the front door to the restaurant and got a little drunk on brown liquor over dinner so I think we might have made it similarly awkward for them. Good.

Saw about 5 black bears, couple moose cows.

Day 4: Liard River to Whitehorse. Apparently I didn't get my camera out but I'll find some that others Facebook posted...

Pretty uneventful day. Got out of the mountains, into the Liard plain. By now it's day 3 of nothing but forest. So many black spruce. Saw more bear including a brown black bear, some eagles too.

Whitehorse is a cool town. More people there than we'd seen in the previous two days. College town? Real young demographic. The girls at the bars were not bad to behold.

This was our first day of really short night. Sun went down at about 11:15. Got out of the bar at midnight and some folks were still driving around without headlights on.

I used the light to take the speed sensor out of the engine case and clean it. Seemed to work for a run around town but next morning it didn't even make it to Tim Horton's before dropping to zero.

Day 5: Whitehorse to Tok.

The Yukon north of Whitehorse is huge. So much mountain, glacier, forest, lake, and sky.

Encountered about 50 miles of dusty gravel conditions. Some cold rain, down to about 42F. Then a half mile later a huge dust cloud.

By now we've caught on to campers pulled over to the shoulder means wildlife near the road. This time it was a grizzly, we slowed down to take a cautious look, when we saw the cub.

Grizzly cubs are what throttle is for. If you see a silvertip cub, gtfo, you are in grave danger.

Continued... Phone posting is tedious.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 12, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

clutchpuck posted:

Story: pics follow in an edit. Phone posting.

We're halfway through a 2 week trip to anchorage and back to Seattle.

Day 1: Chilliwack to Prince George. Breakfast in hope bc. Some traffic, not much scenery. 430 miles. My speedometer stopped working outside of PG but I didn't stop because the bike was running and what if it didn't start back up?

But we got to the hotel and it started right back up and the speedo worked again.

Ate at the BX neighborhood pub. Had some awesome brown ale.

Day 2: PG to Buckinghorse. There was a really cool valley north out of Chetwynd. We stopped at a overlook where a bunch of Harley dudes were hanging out. Apparently they make a thing out of riding from Fort St John I think? To Chetwynd for lunch. Chatted for a bit and got on the Alaska highway up to Buckinghorse. Camped at the provincial park and ate astronaut food.

Speedometer stopped a couple times and I pulled over a couple times to cycle the engine to resurrect the dial.

Day 3: BH to Liard River. The road into Fort Nelson was about the same as the AK hwy on the previous day.

Purple door cafe makes a good breakfast.

After FN, the road got narrower and we got into some mountainous terrain. This is where things started getting interesting. Road quality deteriorated. Then there were patches of loose gravel where they recently re chipped it, took a slower pace. Then we came around a corner into driving rain and gusty winds.

Stopped for a break at the top of some pass which was a good thing because a couple miles later we encountered the first major construction zone. We are calling this one "the gravel sea". They were re grading the whole highway and they had a pilot car lead us through about 3 feet deep smooth round marble sized gravel.

We entertained everybody around us. A 450 lb bike is not the right thing for that. We were going every direction trying not to hit each other or ride off down the embankment. I was planning my get-off when it finally ended.

Liard River was coolish. Hot springs were awesome. But the tribal run lodge we made reservations at did not honor the reservations, jacked up the price, and didn't have the restaurant open as was advertised.They made it feel like we were intruding on their home but there was no room at the campground and it was raining so I was just glad to get a bed.

We set up our kitchens outside the front door to the restaurant and got a little drunk on brown liquor over dinner so I think we might have made it similarly awkward for them. Good.

Saw about 5 black bears, couple moose cows.

Whatup, Seattle motogoon? This is the kind of insanity that my wife and I go in for. We should connect when you're back and talk about ludicrous long-distance / fun rides.

Shiny side up!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HandlingByJebus posted:

Whatup, Seattle motogoon? This is the kind of insanity that my wife and I go in for. We should connect when you're back and talk about ludicrous long-distance / fun rides.

Shiny side up!

In Tok we ran into some Brazilians who were on their way from Deadhorse to Key West. Our trip is a walk in the park compared to theirs.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
clutchpuck, your stories of venturing up into the wild north are awesome. Please keep the pictures and tales coming.

Good thing your mechanical problem isn't mission critical. Much easier to deal with given where you are traveling.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pro tip: bring octane booster

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Pro tip: bring octane booster

Hit a paint store and get toluene. It'll work just as well if not better.

your trip is fuckin awesome.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

What are you using to do the dynamic range in this picture, is it an app or a special function of your camera?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Camera mode, it was accidental

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Put the Monster most of the way back together so I have something to ride for the summer. Streetfighter stacked projector housing is en route, I'm going to ride it without a headlight for a week or so until it arrives. Yes, those are the signals that are ziptied to the handlebars. Yes, the electronic dash is also ziptied to the handlebars. This is temporary, you understand.

And in the winter, it's coming back apart for the turbocharger. God dammit.

Now I can at least start tearing down the XS750, and get the Z4M up on stands for the suspension / brakes / wheels / etc....

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
XS750, you are a truly brave soul

Alaska update.

We got to anchorage. The ride from Tok was short (330 miles) and breathtaking. Massive vistas. I thought mount drum or whatever was Denali, but it was drum. Super huge anyway.

Glenallen had a couple good food trucks, nice stop midway.

My sister and her husband were great hosts, 3 nights in not a hotel were great.

Midnight Sun brewing was great.

Humpy's was great. There's a lot of great beer in Alaska.

My speedometer sensor is still good but gently caress Harley forever anyway. I had a rattle that annoyed me and I found it. The retard who screwed the ignition coil in last (me) didn't torque it down enough and it lost one bolt and broke another. The sensor grounds through it. Replaced bolts, speedometer works fine.

We're back in Tok. Drank some beer and watched PIT win it. Play better, sharks. gently caress you. Fast Eddie's is a nice place to eat, surprisingly. But I'm prepared to eat more mountain house for the trip down Cassair Highway this week.

We're going back through about 50 miles of gravel tomorrow to Whitehorse where they allow 19 year olds in bars. That place is magical I can't wait.

Shout out to Klim. This gear is legit. I've been bone dry through the rain. The Forma boots have been good too, but gravel hits chewed up the toes a little.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 13, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

XS750, you are a truly brave soul

Alaska update.

We got to anchorage. The ride from Tok was short (330 miles) and breathtaking. Massive vistas. I thought mount drum or whatever was Denali, but it was drum. Super huge anyway.

Glenallen had a couple good food trucks, nice stop midway.

My sister and her husband were great hosts, 3 nights in not a hotel were great.

Midnight Sun brewing was great.

Humpy's was great. There's a lot of great beer in Alaska.

My speedometer sensor is still good but gently caress Harley forever anyway. I had a rattle that annoyed me and I found it. The retard who screwed the ignition coil in last (me) didn't torque it down enough and it lost one bolt and broke another. The sensor grounds through it. Replaced bolts, speedometer works fine.

We're back in Tok. Drank some beer and watched PIT win it. Play better, sharks. gently caress you. Fast Eddie's is a nice place to eat, surprisingly. But I'm prepared to eat more mountain house for the trip down Cassair Highway this week.

We're going back through about 50 miles of gravel tomorrow to Whitehorse where they allow 19 year olds in bars. That place is magical I can't wait.

Shout out to Klim. This gear is legit. I've been bone dry through the rain. The Forma boots have been good too, but gravel hits chewed up the toes a little.

Are you going to actually pop up into Cassiar? It's worth it.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

My previously mentioned friend took me to the local high school to teach me the basics this past Saturday (and loan me a jacket after I found out the jacket I got was terrible for the GA summer). After having someone who knows what their doing teach me, it really helped!

However, the day before he told me to go home "just try to get a hang of the clutch in your driveway", easier said than done I found out because I stalled the bike about 20-30 times before I got moving. I wrote a short haiku to commemorate my embarrassment that evening....

The bike stalls again
Neighbors start to take notice
I am ashamed

I've yet to get on the actual road yet, I'm sure my neighbors are tired of me making lap after lap around the neighborhood.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Label Facing Right posted:

However, the day before he told me to go home "just try to get a hang of the clutch in your driveway", easier said than done I found out because I stalled the bike about 20-30 times before I got moving. I wrote a short haiku to commemorate my embarrassment that evening....

The bike stalls again
Neighbors start to take notice
I am ashamed

I've yet to get on the actual road yet, I'm sure my neighbors are tired of me making lap after lap around the neighborhood.

Electric starters have spoiled us, if you have to kick that fucker to life every time you learn not to stall in a hurry.

Source: teaching someone to ride on a 2t 125.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 14, 2016

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
This picture *should* be of my beautiful limited-edition Ninja ZX-14R. All they left me was the ignition and a chunk of brake rotor. And my useless disk lock.

I wonder, is this a "courtesy" by bike thieves, just to assure you that it hasn't been towed and you didn't forget where you parked?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

deliverator posted:

This picture *should* be of my beautiful limited-edition Ninja ZX-14R. All they left me was the ignition and a chunk of brake rotor. And my useless disk lock.

I wonder, is this a "courtesy" by bike thieves, just to assure you that it hasn't been towed and you didn't forget where you parked?

It's also hard to explain why you have a cut lock on you if you get caught with it. Or at least, thats my guess.

I hope you have it insured!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

deliverator posted:

Man, that loving blows. Did they cut the rotor or break it?

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Looks like they went at it with something like giant bolt cutters, but weren't having any luck so they somehow snapped the rotor instead. The lock itself has a piece cut out with the same kind of tool, which makes me think they don't know how a disk lock works? Morons. I think a pro would put it in a van and remove the lock at their leisure without hurting the bike.

The garage has cameras and there's a management person who will go through it and send it to the police; if the bike doesn't turn up in 10 days then I guess the insurance process begins. At this point, given how much they hosed it up in the process of stealing it, I'm not sure I even want to get it back. If they replace the rotor and joyride it... well, it's a zx-14r, it can go like 180mph. I hope they joyride it into an overpass pillar.

I'm *trying* to see the bright side in that now I can guiltlessly shop for new bikes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

deliverator posted:

Looks like they went at it with something like giant bolt cutters, but weren't having any luck so they somehow snapped the rotor instead. The lock itself has a piece cut out with the same kind of tool, which makes me think they don't know how a disk lock works? Morons. I think a pro would put it in a van and remove the lock at their leisure without hurting the bike.

The garage has cameras and there's a management person who will go through it and send it to the police; if the bike doesn't turn up in 10 days then I guess the insurance process begins. At this point, given how much they hosed it up in the process of stealing it, I'm not sure I even want to get it back. If they replace the rotor and joyride it... well, it's a zx-14r, it can go like 180mph. I hope they joyride it into an overpass pillar.

I'm *trying* to see the bright side in that now I can guiltlessly shop for new bikes.

You should start the insurance process immediately after filing the police report.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Man, that sucks. Hope you get it back in good condition.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Yeah, the 10 day waiting period thing is the insurance company policy I guess; they won't start the process of the claim until it obviously hasn't shown up abandoned a block away or whatever. I suppose they'd rather pay for repairs than for a whole bike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At least you can put that useless brake clamp on your next bike. Kudos for having it properly insured, hope it never gets found.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I bought an all-original 1971 CL350 from my dad. It has just under 4000 miles, about 3300 of which are from the last few years.

If ever you yearn for the good ol' days of drum brakes and minimal damping, this will cure you of it really quickly. :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OneOverZero posted:

I bought an all-original 1971 CL350 from my dad. It has just under 4000 miles, about 3300 of which are from the last few years.

If ever you yearn for the good ol' days of drum brakes and minimal damping, this will cure you of it really quickly. :ohdear:

If you want it to look more authentic you should café it :v:

Pretty bike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Chichevache posted:

If you want it to look more authentic you should café it :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2KLw2Pu2IU&t=62s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

deliverator posted:

That blows man, people are universally awful. Hopefully it show up again after the insurance is done paying out. Free track bike!