Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's the maximum number of individual guys the game can render without your video processor bursting into flame? It occurred to me that a stack consisting of a commander and 19 zombies is 2,281 guys alone, combine that with 2 more reinforcing armies and I feel like the engine would really struggle with such a massive number of units crawling all over the map at once, not to mention the enemy force!

There are 160 zombies per unit on ultra settings. So 3041 per army. You can do 4v4 in multiplayer or a custom game. With nothing but a lord and some zombies, that's 24,328 dudes in a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to play. Especially if you use lords specced for sacking and raiding to do the work. I don't usually use sacking / raiding much except for Chaos, which can't survive except without it because it doesn't seem to have much of a return, but I guess repeatedly sacking a set of "tamed" dwarf settlements could also work.

Do you not get death stacks spawning out of nowhere from them though?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

Especially if you use lords specced for sacking and raiding to do the work.

This should be every Ork lord imo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

I had great success taking out the Dwarfs as a first priority, yes. The advantage of having a secure northern border really can't be understated. Virtually no one crosses the Silver Road from the north except Chaos.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Empire is down to just Altdorf and some other city in that province. Chaos is running wild over the northernmost ones and around Altdorf. All the Dwarves are dead. Greenskins have had half the badlands raided. Bring my two expeditionary armies back north now to finish on the Empire and push out Chaos. I have 3 full elite stacks and a mix matched. 2 elites on offense and 2 sorta perched in the center of my holdings.

VC too strong. Seriously 3 Fluffy can solo like 8 units. Hell Manfred won against 9. It took FOREVER though even casting the -16 leadership spell followed by Brujas.

I'm in the late 130s

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The Empire is down to just Altdorf and some other city in that province. Chaos is running wild over the northernmost ones and around Altdorf. All the Dwarves are dead. Greenskins have had half the badlands raided. Bring my two expeditionary armies back north now to finish on the Empire and push out Chaos. I have 3 full elite stacks and a mix matched. 2 elites on offense and 2 sorta perched in the center of my holdings.

VC too strong. Seriously 3 Fluffy can solo like 8 units. Hell Manfred won against 9. It took FOREVER though even casting the -16 leadership spell followed by Brujas.

I'm in the late 130s

Now put some Vampires in your stack and watch them blender the poo poo out of everything, with death lore too.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Also spam Banshees I assassinated Azhag twice. They are by far the best hero for VC. I also have healbot necros in two of my armies and murdermachine vamp lords in the other two.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some of the achievements in this game are really laffo

The Journey's End: Complete all quest battles for a single character

*literally one battle for Kholek*

Iron-Hard and Angry: Win a campaign battle, having completely wiped out all enemy units.

*win literally any fight against VC*

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So most of manfreds army was dead and he got attacked by a full stack of dwarfs.

My 190 dudes + vargulf + terrogheist beat 700 Dwarfs.

Crazy.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The raise dead bug can gently caress right off. It's only ten turns but uuuugh, it was all going so well and I'm not far enough in to justify powering on without their awesome global recruitment mechanic. That's 2/3 VC campaigns where it hasn't worked. Guess I'll give Kemmler another shot. Also lol overcast Nehek, oh no i miscast well there's my health back nevermind.

Clearing three of Mannfred's quest pre-reqs at the start of one turn was pretty sweet. Turns out if you clear some and get a 'have 10k in treasury' requirement in the same turn and you started with 10k you just pay it immediately.

Molay's spells and artefacts mod is pretty great, I'd been wondering if it was worth using and some other goons recommended it. The unique items are really strong and the caster ones seem to have huge buffs to Winds reserves - Gelt gets something like +70 from all of his. Also a spell rebalance (bjuna now has an inherent 50% miscast chance, though it's pretty easy to overcome with Mannfred if you want), second spell levels give -30% cooldown and +5 to winds and their magnitude has usually been increased, although so has cooldown I think. Good stuff.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gonkish posted:

The Not-Vikings are legitimately a bigger problem than Chaos has ever or will ever be. gently caress those assholes.

Seriously, as Chaos I got so pissed at them that I went on a crusade to kill them all with my 2 stacks. 40 turns later I'm about to surrounded by 4 Varg stacks, Lord of Change's stack, and loving Karl Franz.

That run was fun while it lasted. Very challenging. (VH/N)

Shumagorath posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701170286

Great mod for anyone who's sick of Varg and Skaeling pumping out full stacks of max-veterancy units in a couple of turns. I decided to cleanse the north and while I was able to beat Varg down just fine Skaeling raided one ally too many and next thing I knew was charging back south to replenish units and trying not to get mobbed by horses. I installed the mod and instantly those stacks got cut in half with the hit it puts on their economy. It also caps their recruitment at bronze-3; no idea if they get experience for doing absolutely nothing.

Welp, that's a reset then.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gitro posted:

The raise dead bug can gently caress right off. It's only ten turns but uuuugh, it was all going so well and I'm not far enough in to justify powering on without their awesome global recruitment mechanic. That's 2/3 VC campaigns where it hasn't worked.

The More Battle Sites mod makes the raise dead mechanic a whole lot more reliable, though perhaps also a bit overpowered. I like it more than the alternative though, which was my original Counts campaign where I found one single place where I could recruit like, a single unit of basic black knights + some dogs/bats. The rest was all default 3 zombies/1 skeleton/1 skeleton spearman.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm dumb, I can't find the mod kit for this game.

Anyone have a link?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xae posted:

I'm dumb, I can't find the mod kit for this game.

Anyone have a link?

Gotta go to Tools on Steam, and you'll find it there.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I don't think I've used raise dead since I got grave guard. Oh, wait I beat a triple stack of orca and had to replace all three of my vargheist. They died honorably murdering catapults. I replaced them with bats until I could get back home.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gitro posted:

The raise dead bug can gently caress right off. It's only ten turns but uuuugh, it was all going so well and I'm not far enough in to justify powering on without their awesome global recruitment mechanic. That's 2/3 VC campaigns where it hasn't worked.

What's the quickest way to tell whether a campaign is bugged or unbugged?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

That feels like the beginning of a terrible joke.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chomp8645 posted:

Cool, I like figuring stuff like this out. Maybe I've underestimated the ability of minors to roll into a major power. Let me know if there were any usual circumstances like "Mousillon raged out of control and weakened Bretonnia a bunch" or something.

It was a while ago that I played this campaign so I'm a little hazy on the details. I do remember Brettonia attacking me a couple of times and losing stacks doing so, and I may have sacked or razed one of their settlements at some point to get them to gently caress off, but I don't think they had too hard a time with the local minors - they control the rest of northern Brettonia at this point. I don't think Ostland took the settlements directly from Bretonnia though, as I recall it was one of the minors, probably Parravon.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 18, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Corpse counter stays at 0 the entire time, I'm pretty sure. I've gotten sites from sieging templehof and a fight with the schwartzos before, this campaign nothing, first campaign nothing. Maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't had a battle big enough? I don't think so though, Schwartzos had most of a full stack + garrison and I've been running a full stack almost all the time.

Vargs posted:

The More Battle Sites mod makes the raise dead mechanic a whole lot more reliable, though perhaps also a bit overpowered. I like it more than the alternative though, which was my original Counts campaign where I found one single place where I could recruit like, a single unit of basic black knights + some dogs/bats. The rest was all default 3 zombies/1 skeleton/1 skeleton spearman.

Thanks. I'm running so many mods now :negative:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Iron-Hard and Angry: Win a campaign battle, having completely wiped out all enemy units.

*win literally any fight against VC*

I got that one by chasing down a fleeing Thorgrim Grudgebearer. He was the sole survivor of the previous battle, and was on one health. Doom diver hit him, battle over, cheevo get.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Gitro posted:

Corpse counter stays at 0 the entire time, I'm pretty sure. I've gotten sites from sieging templehof and a fight with the schwartzos before, this campaign nothing, first campaign nothing. Maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't had a battle big enough? I don't think so though, Schwartzos had most of a full stack + garrison and I've been running a full stack almost all the time.

Thanks. I'm running so many mods now :negative:

What size units are you using? When I was on small units, the counter never changed. But on large, the battle markers show up fairly regularly. Also have you check on the map to see if there are any battle markers anywhere? If the region doesn't have one I don't think that the corpse counter goes up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wafflecopper posted:

It was a while ago that I played this campaign so I'm a little hazy on the details. I do remember Brettonia attacking me a couple of times and losing stacks doing so, and I may have sacked or razed one of their settlements at some point to get them to gently caress off, but I don't think they had too hard a time with the local minors - they control the rest of northern Brettonia at this point. I don't think Ostland took the settlements directly from Bretonnia though, as I recall it was one of the minors, probably Parravon.

Hahaha that's outstanding. I remember one time I was playing as Empire and went south to gently caress up Brettonia and get green wit it. Along the way I got hit up for a trade agreement by Averheim, and they had cleared out and occupied all the vampire counts' territory except for Essen by like turn 50. Thank youuuuu.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

mornhaven posted:

What size units are you using? When I was on small units, the counter never changed. But on large, the battle markers show up fairly regularly. Also have you check on the map to see if there are any battle markers anywhere? If the region doesn't have one I don't think that the corpse counter goes up.

Medium, I don't think I could run large reliably. Comp already struggles in big battles and sieges as is. I've definitely generated them before with roughly equivalent amounts of casualties - a full averland stack resulted in a marker, here a 3/4 stack and garrison didn't give me anything. Templehof's garrison stack gave me a marker before, here a smaller garrison, half stack and extra lord and unit didn't. Don't have enough map vision to see about markers, there's none in my territory. I'll play through the campaign more and see what happens, but given that it's a reported issue and my first campaign never let me raise more than the basic stuff while my second campaign did almost right off the bat I'm not optimistic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That battle sites mod suggests there's more to them than just casualties, there's a minimum army size on both sides also.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah, that might be it. I'm pretty sure I would've hit above the minimum at least once, but who knows. I'll push on and make more bodies and see what happens. I'm almost 100% sure I've seen more troop options at a counter of 1000 bodies though, which means either casualties aren't 1:1 or there's something else going on. Or I'm remembering incorrectly.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there any lore I can read about the dwarf hold up north in the Chaos wastes? That seems like a bad neighbourhood to set up shop in

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah you know I think I was off the mark on this one. My first two complete campaigns had very little in the way of upstart minors conquering large swathes of territory that "belonged" to great powers to the point that I figured it must be baked into the system to be very difficult for them. I'm thinking "what in the world is going with these goons and their stoires about upstart empires? Whatever, time to load my Chaos campaign, I'm just about the hit the southlands..."

:prepop:

So, Marienburg... guess the sea trade is going well?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would like a mod that reduces the AI's inclination to wall their cities - balance it somehow. More expensive walls for the player, bigger garrisons for the enemy. Just give me more actual fights on open ground. Playing Siege Autoresolve Simulator 2016 as Chaos is getting really, really old. I've never been more autoresolve-happy as I've been on this campaign, between subduing Horsca and having to attack every settlement twice to sack/raze it. I do not like Chaos on the strategic layer and I don't really know if I like them in battle because 100+ turns in I don't really know how they play.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Chaos probably has my favorite units. I really like the focus on small numbers of super elite infantry, amazing lords/heroes, and a wide variety of monsters. Unfortunately yeah, their campaign mechanics aren't the best.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Done my VC campaign and not a turn too soon (237, 32k per turn). I might have taken even longer if Mousillon hadn't YOLO'd it and dragged me into war with Bretonnia early. I managed to wipe both the French and all the Norscans off the map at the same time but apparently the Border Princes weren't happy about it and declared war on everyone under five feet tall, leading to all the remaining dwarf factions fighting them and the Greenskins agreeing to become my vassals. Oh, and if you're curious I only managed to recruit a Black Coach by getting lucky with Raise Dead in a province that must have been ankle-deep in blood.

Anyone who thinks Shogun 2 was more fun than this needs to wash their kimono.

DiHK posted:

Seriously, as Chaos I got so pissed at them that I went on a crusade to kill them all with my 2 stacks. 40 turns later I'm about to surrounded by 4 Varg stacks, Lord of Change's stack, and loving Karl Franz.

That run was fun while it lasted. Very challenging. (VH/N)

Welp, that's a reset then.
If you can survive until the next turn the upkeep fees will force the Horscans to dump half the units in their entire army because their economy can't support them any more.

Deified Data posted:

I would like a mod that reduces the AI's inclination to wall their cities - balance it somehow. More expensive walls for the player, bigger garrisons for the enemy. Just give me more actual fights on open ground. Playing Siege Autoresolve Simulator 2016 as Chaos is getting really, really old. I've never been more autoresolve-happy as I've been on this campaign, between subduing Horsca and having to attack every settlement twice to sack/raze it. I do not like Chaos on the strategic layer and I don't really know if I like them in battle because 100+ turns in I don't really know how they play.
I felt this way at the end of my Chaos campaign too (which went to 276 turns THANKS DORFS). No one would fight me in the open and once your Chosen have wrecked everything that dared stand on the walls once you've seen it all. Contrast this with VC where I could take on incredibly siege odds but had to do so by playing to interesting strengths (i.e. monsters mob the walls and smash the gates while infantry ladder/tower up down range and storm the ground).

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Hahaha that's outstanding. I remember one time I was playing as Empire and went south to gently caress up Brettonia and get green wit it. Along the way I got hit up for a trade agreement by Averheim, and they had cleared out and occupied all the vampire counts' territory except for Essen by like turn 50. Thank youuuuu.
I never even fought Bretonnia as Chaos because Estalia took the entire west coast. In my VC campaign it was the opposite with the French conquering all the way to Tilea. Turned out to be a great distraction for their Empire allies though.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 18, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been playing as Dwarves on Hard and I don't think the race is very good. I end up turtling in every province and getting overrun by a million savage orc boar riders in every battle. Also god drat are agents way more annoying on Hard difficulty than Normal. No cavalry sucks, having really expensive upkeep sucks, quarrelers are great, that's about it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there anything interesting you can do tactically with garrison troops on the open field? It seems like they kinda suck and can't really deal any lasting damage no matter what you do due to piss poor leadership. I keep looking but it seems like there's no reason not to autoresolve those fights.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Korgan posted:

I got that one by chasing down a fleeing Thorgrim Grudgebearer. He was the sole survivor of the previous battle, and was on one health. Doom diver hit him, battle over, cheevo get.

I earned Iron-Hard and Angry chasing down Grimgor Ironhide. I deployed 5 units of miners with blasting charges right in front of him and he died alone in a hail of dynamite.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there anything interesting you can do tactically with garrison troops on the open field? It seems like they kinda suck and can't really deal any lasting damage no matter what you do due to piss poor leadership. I keep looking but it seems like there's no reason not to autoresolve those fights.

Spite kill their forces, or maybe squeeze out a miracle win. You can sometimes/usually inflict more casualties in a manual fight, depending on the garrison.

VC game: raise dead not bugged, averheim is surrounded by a moat of corpses at this stage. Obviously I just didn't have quite enough units getting killed. Averland are now my allies and they're massive bros. They kill my rebellions, they trade with me and I defend their one city from endless empire stacks. I feel bad for slowly corrupting their lands with dark magic. Wissenland are fuckers who confederated the turn after I wardecced them. Grimgor, somehow, still manages to be a fucker. Franz somehow has Gelt despite altdorf being level 3. Those rivers are loving miserable and I hate them.

I think my agents are just bad. I had a witch hunter who chain failed 4 assassinates at 40-50% in a row. My banshee just crit-failed a 47% block army chance. Put some effort in you shits.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Should Altdorf be the main recruiting center for the empire? I really want to get rid of that port to make it so, but it's not an option.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Should Altdorf be the main recruiting center for the empire? I really want to get rid of that port to make it so, but it's not an option.

Using the tier 4 mod I can recruit literally everything out of Reikland and it works pretty well. It's central and huge so it's not too hard for any army to make it back in a couple of turns unless they're really far away, and the 4 settlements help with growth and support buildings. Without the T4 mod you'd have to trade off 2 buildings, I think (I have an armoury and menagerie in the other settlements). Middenland has the cav boost and the shrine of Ulric so if you take that you can use it as a secondary recruitment centre I guess, or tradeoff artillery or something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You still can make everything.if you move your main shrine of Sigmar somewhere else (Middenland is best).

Except cavalry and Warriorpriests in Middenland the local recruiting bonuses are so minor that they are not worth the inconvenience involved in getting them.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 18, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ShineDog posted:

All you need to recruit the Empire's entire army roster is achievable with a main settlement + one minor settlement, IIRC. You could move it to Talabecland if you wanted since it's right on the frontlines against Chaos and the VCs, and Warrior Priests make growing to that point a lot easier.

Agents are a different matter, though I personally only use Warrior Priests and Witchhunters so you could have your main temple somewhere else.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Huh, I got the win a siege without bringing siege equipment achievement after a siege where I brought siege towers.

And the achievement for hero kills from a generic vamp lord getting over 100. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Agents are a different matter, though I personally only use Warrior Priests and Witchhunters so you could have your main temple somewhere else.

Captains are great, As well as Exemplar for recruitment, with Patrol Ambusher maxed they can do a useful amount of damage to an enemy army before the battle.

• Locked thread