Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

13/f/cali posted:

I did buy Trails of Cold Steel. I'm still in the intro. Is there anything the game doesn't make obvious that I should know so I won't be kicking myself later?

there's missable quests you find by talking to npcs, any time you see an item in a store that has a description mentioning it's part of a set you should buy it because if you collect them all you can turn them in near the end of the game for a sweet reward. same with the novel series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's ok, as long as you play trails in the sky to make up for it

I intend to

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 18, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Policenaut posted:

God Eater 2: Rage Burst's English release is getting a physical version in Asia, and the pre-order bonus does apply but you'll have to do Vita account swapping sooooo

It's getting a physical release in Europe, too -- £24.99 on Amazon UK at the moment, includes Resurrection as a preorder bonus.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

lets hang out posted:

there's missable quests you find by talking to npcs, any time you see an item in a store that has a description mentioning it's part of a set you should buy it because if you collect them all you can turn them in near the end of the game for a sweet reward. same with the novel series.

That's helpful info, thanks! I probably won't fret if I miss quests since I will do a nightmare NG+ run if I enjoy the game, but the things about sets of items is really good to know.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I bought Trails of Cold Steel 2 but I haven't started the first one because someone said it spoils Trails in the Sky, so now I'm waiting for the Steam sale to buy that so I can play it. Which means it'll be probably never before I get to ToCS2.

I did not buy Miku because there was no special edition so I figured I'd get it digital like the other two.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Considering the 64GB cards can only come from resellers in Japan/HongKong, they could be getting hit randomly with some scanner looking for bombs/drugs that fries some of the internal electronics.

That doesn't happen. Ever. To anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Midjack posted:

That doesn't happen. Ever. To anything.

Are you sure, because I heard from a friend of a brother of a cousin of a brother's brother that he read it once.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Are you sure, because I heard from a friend of a brother of a cousin of a brother's brother that he read it once.

I routinely inspect electronic devices with a number of instruments including an x-ray. It's not happening.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Superbeat Xonic is really fun. Absolute steal at the price its going for this week.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We got a trailer for Extella and it looks p alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkzdwi71R0

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I saw E3 gameplay of it. Everyone looks all lanky and weird, and I'm not convinced that Marvelous is capable of a good brawler yet. I'm still going to buy it, but I approach with caution.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Musou games probably look easy to make, but only KT appears to know how to regularly do the formula right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Takoluka posted:

I saw E3 gameplay of it. Everyone looks all lanky and weird, and I'm not convinced that Marvelous is capable of a good brawler yet. I'm still going to buy it, but I approach with caution.

I dunno how anyone looks lanky when they're all proportioned the way they usually are. Your point on the Brawler part is fair, but from the gameplay I've been seeing there's significantly less in the way nonsensical crap that happens midcombat like in the SK Versus stuff. There's also a lot of personal accounts saying the game runs smoothly and feels fun. I doubt that's really gonna assure anyone since I'm sure there's a particular way people want their Musou games.

Pureauthor posted:

Musou games probably look easy to make, but only KT appears to know how to regularly do the formula right.

They were pretty terrible about five years ago and only recently are consistently fun and even then a lot of the games now still step really close to having something that could make them very bad again. Fwiw I don't think Marvelous are masters at the formula but I can definitely have fun with Versus stuff more than most other Musou clones.

Other than Sengoku Basara, but I'm probably always gonna like Basara over regular Musou.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 18, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

got all psyched to pick up odin sphere and now psn won't complete my orders.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Baal posted:

I dunno how anyone looks lanky when they're all proportioned the way they usually are. Your point on the Brawler part is fair, but from the gameplay I've been seeing there's significantly less in the way nonsensical crap that happens midcombat like in the SK Versus stuff. There's also a lot of personal accounts saying the game runs smoothly and feels fun. I doubt that's really gonna assure anyone since I'm sure there's a particular way people want their Musou games.

Nero just looks bizarre. Her limbs are twigs, and her face is all sorts of wonky. This is either an art choice or a beta thing. Hopefully the latter.

And yeah, the game looks a lot better than the Tamsoft outings, but the game is very clearly a Vita upscale, so it better run smoothly.

Basara games really are the only games to come close to Musou games, and even the worst Musous are better than a lot of their clones. I like that Basara decided to focus on aesthetic and flashiness while still maintaining gameplay that has positive feedback, and I wish that had better caught on in the West so we could get more of them. While I think Samurai Warriors is a better franchise, Sengoku Basara is a fantastic alt take on it, and I want to see more of that here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I actually couldn't stand Basara's gameplay and I can't put my finger on why. It felt way worse than DW did at the time.

Then again I have terrible loving taste, so

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got pretty sucked into Hyrule Warriors but I don't know how it compares to any of the other ones (It's pretty much the only musou game I've played other than like Dynasty Warriors 3 or something back on PS2)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I actually couldn't stand Basara's gameplay and I can't put my finger on why. It felt way worse than DW did at the time.

Then again I have terrible loving taste, so

I never played Devil Kings; my first jump into Basara was 2 Heroes, and while it wasn't quite there, I could tell that it had something special about it. Thing is, Basara stages never feel like full-scale battles, and I like those. Instead, Basara treats each stage as personal battles between the guy who have and whoever the end boss for it is, which adds a little something that Musou games generally don't do much. It works well enough in Basara, if it clicks with you.

Senran Kagura tried this, but made stages even smaller, cut fights into multiple arbitrarily small arenas, and then took out the positive reinforcement that makes large-army brawlers fun. I understand *why* they did the barrier thing; it's supposed to be like old-school brawlers like Streets of Rage where the screen stops and you fight stuff before moving on. Problem is that doesn't work in a Musou clone. The stages don't feel dynamic, like you're actually out in a place doing a thing. Instead, you're in a bunch of hallways with interchangeable environments. Never once did I feel like I was outside in a Senran Kagura game unless it was a beach level, and that's only because the walls over the water were invisible. It at least made me feel like there was depth to the world. Basara has small maps with hallways but feels super open, like I'm fighting on mountains and in fields proper.

Musou clones (and some Musou games, even!) lack the nuance that makes the genre work in this age. I am already convinced that Extella won't be the next Orochi, but it can still manage to be fun, if they take the time to make it for people of the genre and not just fans of the source material (looking at you, All-Star Battle).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Help Im Alive posted:

I got pretty sucked into Hyrule Warriors but I don't know how it compares to any of the other ones (It's pretty much the only musou game I've played other than like Dynasty Warriors 3 or something back on PS2)

Hyrule Warriors uses a lot of the best series mechanics (interesting arsenal of weapons and characters, bases, dodge rolls, Musou Rage/Focus Spirit) and balances them in a great way. On top of that, it has a lock-on function, which the series desperately needs (if not mainline, then at least something like Gundam (I didn't play Reborn, so if it has that, oops)). What they did with the maps and environments from the Zelda games was so fresh and interesting. They really put a lot of soul into Hyrule Warriors, and it shows like an Orochi game. Mainline Dynasty Warriors games last had serious soul in it with 7's Story Mode, so hopefully a future 9(?) will bring back that heart with the mechanics of 8.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Hyrule Warriors is very good, but I hate its stages, defend central point, and terrible boss fights more than any other Muso game that I've played recently. I also didn't really like playing anyone in the game until I got my hands on Ganondorf and Cia, but apparently that seems to not be an uncommon opinion.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Baal posted:

Hyrule Warriors is very good, but I hate its stages, defend central point, and terrible boss fights more than any other Muso game that I've played recently. I also didn't really like playing anyone in the game until I got my hands on Ganondorf and Cia, but apparently that seems to not be an uncommon opinion.

Wow and it's still very good despite all that? I don't think I'll ever understand muso games

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Mithaldu posted:

If your issue is that the cable you already got won't charge off any port, here's an adapter that'll fix that by shorting out the pins that make i.e. your pc think it's a data cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y3L5RI/

If your cable just broke, there's tons of after-market cables on amazon.

Alright copped me one of these

On the topic of Musou I wish we got a new Berserk and not in the form of Musou because it seems like you could take any IP and make it into Musou, Zelda Musou is a good example,./it's such a weak excuse to make a game out of.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Musou games are really weird but it took me buying multiple entries after Ken's Rage came out to finally start understanding why the games are fun. It really does come down to "How cool does it feel to throw your weapon around and cut down a fuckin swathe of dudes and can I do it for hours without getting bored?" The answer is yes to certain games and Hyrule Warriors had a very good and diverse cast of characters that all were very different feeling. Even though it took me loving hours to find the character I actually liked, I was still enjoying myself playing several members of the cast.

That being said the Twilight Princess stage with the dragon can kindly go gently caress itself, that stage is terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually want to buy the new Attack on Titan game, but I've heard it's less Musou and more Monhun and that gives me reservations to just wait for a sale.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I didn't think i liked musou and then I played dq heroes and realized I liked musou

then I bought pirate warriors 3 and realized I love musou

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whatever you do though

Don't play... Ken's Rage 2

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you ken not stop me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baal posted:

Whatever you do though

Don't play... Ken's Rage 2

The first one is pretty okay! Different, and rough in places, but there's fun to be had.

And then there's Ken's Rage 2.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I am responsible for this

And I don't care for achievements but I don't think it's a very good game. The soundtrack is fairly decent though, and it's narrated by Norio Wakamoto which is always a plus in my book. Never played the sequel but apparently it's even worse somehow.

I was recently reading an interview with Koei's KoinumaP about Berserk Musou's development and he mentioned they want to keep the ero-slash-violence theme even though it's a huge pain because of how it clashes with America and Japan, and enemies won't just be just humans but monsters that will actually pose a challenge (Musou enemies which actually fight back this time) so hey who knows maybe it'll be good. I remember losing to a few bosses in Hokuto but nothing that made me go "ok, I need to work to win against this boss"

I'm still wishing for a true Berserk game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Making normal enemies dangerous is the worst thing you can possibly do in a Musou game, I thought Koei knew better than that.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hyrule's a pretty good entry point to the Musou games, but in terms of trappings it's also one of the most different. Bus what you liked the big boss fights and the Adventure Mode? Other Musou games really don't have those. Did you like the over-the-top combat styles and Fort to Fort combat? Pirate Warriors 3 is arguably the best Musou game period and follows a similar style. Do you like the massive roaming battles and running to and fro making sure all your plans succeed and your allies survive the chaos? The mainline Dynasty And Samurai Warriors games are all about executing the battle plan for the stage and dealing with it's contact with the enemy.

Pirate Warriors 3 and Samurai Warriors 4-2 would make good places to go next.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Warriors Orochi series is the best one, and I hope they make a 4th.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i figured WO3U would be all the musou i needed for five years or so, but now that the berserk one is coming out i've revised that thought.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Megalixir posted:

I am responsible for this

And I don't care for achievements but I don't think it's a very good game. The soundtrack is fairly decent though, and it's narrated by Norio Wakamoto which is always a plus in my book. Never played the sequel but apparently it's even worse somehow.

I was recently reading an interview with Koei's KoinumaP about Berserk Musou's development and he mentioned they want to keep the ero-slash-violence theme even though it's a huge pain because of how it clashes with America and Japan, and enemies won't just be just humans but monsters that will actually pose a challenge (Musou enemies which actually fight back this time) so hey who knows maybe it'll be good. I remember losing to a few bosses in Hokuto but nothing that made me go "ok, I need to work to win against this boss"

I'm still wishing for a true Berserk game.

I don't give a gently caress for Musous or Berserk but I might check this one if they can keep that promise.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Baal posted:

That being said the Twilight Princess stage with the dragon can kindly go gently caress itself, that stage is terrible.

but the dragon is the only good monster boss!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Yeah, I quite like the Vita, and we've got two announced Vita titles that are receiving physical releases (Shantae and Cold Steel II), but... honestly, the days of Vita physical releases are numbered, and it's not for lack of desire to put them out -- it's because barely anybody carries them anymore! And in this business, we are absolutely dependent on retail stores: if we release a game physically and no retailer is willing to put it on their shelves in any decent quantities, then the game flops, plain and simple. And we publishers don't get to tell retailers what to carry -- rather, it's the retailers who decide what to order from us. All we can do is try to sell them on our titles being worth their time and money to stock.

-Tom

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28319&st=1500#entry923096

:rip:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The end of Sony's E3 conference already had the orchestra play the funeral song for our gay dead portable console.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't give a gently caress for Musous or Berserk but I might check this one if they can keep that promise.

why do you have such terrible opinions about brawler games

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i am looking forward to the berserk musou trailer that isn't "remember (one of) the rape scene(s)?"